NO justice for gay pride?

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:01 pm
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Gay and lesbian employees at the Justice Department said Friday that officials have told them they will not be permitted to hold a gay pride event later this month. "We want this decision to be reversed. We simply want equal treatment with other employee association groups," said the group's president, Marina Colby.
Colby said she was informed May 31 that the event, set for June 18, could not go forward. She said she took part in a conference call this week with Justice Department officials in which she was told the group could not hold the event because Gay Pride Month, which is June, has not been recognized with a formal proclamation from President Bush.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,085 • Replies: 126
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:07 pm
that's it, I'm going to crawl in a hole and never come out.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:37 pm
I wonder if they could rename it to a Justice Department Pride Event,
but only invite gay people to it.

Or invite everyone to a Come As You Are Party,
and have every fifth person wear a T-shirt that says "My Way is Gay".

What better publicity for the whole issue than to cause a big fight about it?
If they had the event without any scandal, not that many people would actually show up, but now that it's controversial ... !

I dunno, but I sure enjoy watching all the commotion that uppity people go through. How dare people be themselves?! :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:42 pm
i think they should just show up at Ashcrofts prayer meetings and sing "We shall over run"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:50 pm
One more episode in reactionary times.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 02:49 am
I wonder what is all this fuss about? What if White Arian staff decided to have a Pride Day of their own on April, 20? Should they get reimbursement for air tickets to Nürnberg? Or maybe, they should be condemned as revivors of Nazism? I see no reason to be proud of any biologically defined feature, whatever it is: color of skin, size of genitalia or sexual orientation.
I am straight, and I am neither proud of nor ashamed of this. This is what I am, and I see no reasons in any special events devoted to such a thing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:25 am
steissd- I hear what you are saying, and in a perfect world, you would be absolutely right. But this is not a perfect world, and gay people in the US have had a rough time of it.

It is only in the last number of years that homosexuals gave become a strong political force. I think that in the political times today, that it is important that gays exhibit some show of strength, solidarity and support.

dys- when you wrote:

Quote:
i think they should just show up at Ashcrofts prayer meetings and sing "We shall over run"

Do you know what was the first thing that came into my mind? If Ashcroft has a weekly "Christian Pride" meeting, why not a "Gay Pride". If it's good for one group.................
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:50 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
steissd- I hear what you are saying, and in a perfect world, you would be absolutely right. But this is not a perfect world, and gay people in the US have had a rough time of it.

I think Steissd is full of soup on this.

I too am straight -- but I sure as hell can see why the gay community would want to have a "pride" event -- and I think Steissd's remarks are the kind of unfeeling blather some people think passes for sophistication.

His remarks remind me of a TV piece I once saw John Stossel do on bald men. He had the audacity to stand there with his full head of hair and snicker SNICKER at bald or balding guys who go to extraordinary lengths to grow their hair back. (I have a full head of hair, if you're wondering.)

Steissd's comparison to Nazi this-or-that was another bit of over-reaching.

"...the group could not hold the event because Gay Pride Month, which is June, has not been recognized with a formal proclamation from President Bush."

My Guess: There is a better chance of Dubya recognizing Stupid President's Month with a formal proclamation.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:56 am
Oh man. That is stupid. But what else do we expect? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Almost every office supports 'straight pride' in the form of wedding and baby showers which people are almost forced to attend, by having management host those goldanged things. Freakin' heck. I know that I'll be gay-priding in T.O. with my friend, D., this summer, and nooooooobody is going to stop me.

down with wedding showers. down with baby showers. up with gay pride!

[size=7]i'm straight, and have lotsa hair. [/size]
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:09 am
How about a tall pride day, or fat man day or bow legged day. This is all BS as far as I am concerned.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:17 am
Ashcroft is just handing another campaign issue to the Dems.

The Dems are going to want to show the general public that the Bush administration is extreme. This sort of thing fits the bill just fine.

I am only hoping the Dems don't roll over and play dead again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:20 am
steissd- I think it's a way for some to feel better about nasty past experiences. Think about the jews from the concentration camps. They had their own ways of dealing with that persecution. Gays have pride marches. The equation of gays to nazis is less apt than that of gays to jews.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:29 am
If the gays were celebrating some kind of equal rights day, this would be legitimate. Under one condition: this would be a festival not only of gays, but of everybody that supports concept of equality of rights regardless of biologic features, this means equality of Whites, Blacks, Asians, gays, straights, lesbians, Christian, Buddhists, etc. Gay Pride has conotation of biological superiority of gays vs. straights, and that is what I do not agree with. Weddings and Christening of kids (or circumcisions in Jewish and Muslim families) are not straight pride days, those are traditional family festivals; people that celebrate these just do it for commemoration of important events in their family lives, and not for declaration of their superiority over anyone.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:33 am
About Jews. There is no Jewsih pride day in Israel. We have an Independence Day, but many countries that have once being dependent have. We have here the Day of Holocaust, but it has nothing to do with pride, it is a day of memory of victims of the Nazi persecution. BTW, comparison of gays to Jews is not so much accurate. Absolute majority of Jewish males are heterosexual, the same refers to women, and percentage of homosexuals among Jews is not higher than among non-Jews.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:34 am
What? Gay Pride equates with superiority to you? Boy.

Here's my view on the gay-jew similarity. It's something a person is born as (gay or Jewish). It's something people have been persecuted for for a long time. Jews are proud of their heritage because they have fought to keep it, against all odds. Gay's are proud because they have fought to be able to be public about being gay. That's all.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:35 am
yeah i agree steissd, we allow them gays a little pride next thing you know they will be wanting to vote.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:36 am
steissd wrote:
About Jews. There is no Jewsih pride day in Israel. We have an Independence Day, but many countries that have once being dependent have. We have here the Day of Holocaust, but it has nothing to do with pride, it is a day of memory of victims of the Nazi persecution. BTW, comparison of gays to Jews is not so much accurate. Absolute majority of Jewish males are heterosexual, the same refers to women, and percentage of homosexuals among Jews is not higher than among non-Jews.

the absolute majority of ALL populations are hetero. I'm didn't say there are more jewish gays.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:36 am
wait, maybe I'm having a semantics moment.....
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:42 am
Exactly. When the gays have their pride parade, for me it sounds that they declare themselves being better than straights.
I can be proud of the medals I was decorated with as a result of participance in the Afghan campaign of the Soviet Army, since I did something to be decorated. Gays did not do anything to be as they are, so what the hell should they declare themselves being better than I am? That is why I compared these parades with Parteitags in Nürnberg in '30s: their participants declared pride of being Aryans, while they have not made any effort to be the ones.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:42 am
steissd- Again, I think that you don't have a complete concept of what it was like in the US not too long ago. I can remember that people never talked about homosexuality. The gays were not only "in the closet", but the closet was locked and bolted.

If you were employed, you didn't want to be found out. The reason for this is that you could then be a target for blackmail. In many companies, a gay person would be the target of derision, or much worse. There was so much homophobia in the US that many gay people led miserable, celibate lives, rather than risk their reputations, and their careers.

I think that the Gay Pride marches are an affirmation that homosexual people can come out of the closet, and not be afraid. They can openly exhibit their gayness.

Do the marches get a little weird and bizarre? Yes, they do. When people are repressed, and then are freed, that is to be expected, and certainly understood. When homosexuality is not longer made an issue by the straight world, and when gays can live in peace, then the marches will no longer be necessary!
0 Replies