What's Your Favorite Sandwich?

George

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:16 am
plainoldme wrote:
George wrote:
I have been eating flavorful, fresh-picked tomatoes.
The secret is to live next door to Sal & Anna.

Hi, George!

Hi right back!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:46 pm
Good, dark rye bread. None of that filler garbage or white-bread called rye. Smile
+
Avocado
+Fresh garden tomato
+garden lettuce
+Smoked wild salmon or smoked turkey
+a good havarti cheese (gouda is yummy too)
+low fat mayo or soy mayo stuff
+salt and pepper

Throw variety of garden veggies on plate w/ sammie.

So bloody good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:57 pm
I'm baaaaaad.

I finally learned how to deal with the so-called california sour dough in the local market. Sigh, for La Brea Bakery breads or Il Fornaio or even my own. Well, anyway, I look for the latest dated hearth type bread and take it home and slice it fast and freeze it but for a few slices. (I like ryes too, and serious whole grain, but we're saying sourdough here... even on sourdough I prefer integrale... but really my own, after Carol Field's book, using a lot or all semolina)

Then, given I've thawed out sorta fresh bread, I might toast it, usually an improvement, she says sardonically.

But...
this last week I picked up a wedge of cambazola, a blue cheese wedge of fair deliciousness, re grocery store level.

Great on toast, breakfast for the week... good with a peach.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:52 am
I cannot make up my mind...

First I was going to say cheese, ham, tomato, cucumber and mayonnaise.
Then I thought prawns with mayonnaise is yummy, too.
But I also love bacon sandwiches...

I cannot make up my mind...
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 07:17 pm
Get two slices of Hovis wholemeal bread,spread with Anchor butter and put as many Walkers ready salted crisps in between as you can.
Or........
Two fried eggs,sunny side up.
Or.......
Six rashers of streaky bacon with brown H.P sauce.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 06:15 am
mmmmm. Where you been barrythemod?
0 Replies

Three P

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:20 am
Coronation Chicken.
I had one earlier today, in fact. There are some very interesting sandwiches on this thread, I must say.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 02:20 pm
barrythemod wrote:
Get two slices of Hovis wholemeal bread,spread with Anchor butter and put as many Walkers ready salted crisps in between as you can.

Not for the diet conscious!
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 12:53 pm
@plainoldme,
Thought Id resurrect this old thread to add my two cents. We got home last night so our garden was kinda unkempt. SOO Ive been enjoying a nice BLT for lunch. Mrs F fried up a big batch of thick cut maple cured bacon and we have these really tasty nice big sammich sized tomatoes coming in.
I planted a bunch of Romaines before we left two weeks ago and theyere ready. (Its been a rainy summer).
A BLT on a lreally good wheat or oat bread nicely toasted with creamy real mayo is a treat to be savored. How I wish I had a nice Chesterfield Ale to wash it down. Instead I had a spicey Ginger Beer, an Utz's Chips.

What a meal.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 01:01 pm
@farmerman,
The Vietnamese sandwich, the Banh Mi, is the ruling king of the sandwich here in NYC.

Then again, I oddly don't consider hamburgers a sandwich. They're far too divine to place that simplistic a label on their existence.

PS: An alcoholic ginger beer (or the soda)? I tried one recently. A very nice and pleasant surprise.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 03:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
Id better not touch any alcoholic ginger beers. Ive never had one so I wont miss it like I do a Chesterfield Ale.
Banh Mi sounds interesting but Id sure not like to mess up the flavor of a good terrine or pate with all those other ingredients.
Whenever I hve to be up in NYC I always try to get my clients to take me to this NAwlins dive in Brooklyn that serves really good Po Boys with oysters as big as your hand
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 03:44 pm
@farmerman,
Mmmm, I love fresh out of the garden tomato sammiches. I only got a half dozen medium sized tomatoes from my plants this year. First it was too hot and difficult to keep up with the watering, then it was too much rain and not enough sunshine for too many days.

The onions were good this year once the rains helped to keep them moist.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 03:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
onions actually grow best in muck soils that are very poorly drained. I cant grow really good ones so we buy ours through a grower that has a stand along Rt 1 in Delaware.
(They also grow some rally fine taters)

Im up to my sphincter in squashes that were lft on their own while we were away for the last month on and off. Never grow squash if you aint around to control em. Otherwise there is no known limit to their potential size .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:21 pm
One of my early memories was eating a sandwich my mother made from left over roast turkey, the real kind, with mayo on white bread. Probably a little salt. I think I had just turned four. I still like those, assuming the turkey isn't dry and the bread is a good one; now I make it as an open faced sandwich. A good chicken sandwich isn't a bad thing either, just as plainly put together as the turkey one.

Otherwise, a good hamburger on a good bun, and I'm picky about both of those, and various things to add, but the meat and bun are the deal.

Next - the perfect meatball sammich from Bay Cities Market in Santa Monica. Those people know what they're doing.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/Bay%20Cities%20meatball.jpg

Article about it in LA Weekly - Meatball Fight
http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2010/09/bay_cities_eastside_meatball.php

Next, just about any sandwich prepared at Oakville Grocery in Healdsburg. I used to get one to go when I was driving north from San Francisco, that and some soda. Oh, and a pint or so of olives to take home. Happy driving.

http://www.oakvillegrocery.com/Home/Menu
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:25 pm
@ossobuco,
that looks more like a meat burrito. Is it more of a roll?

Whats in oit that makes it great?

I love meatball sammiches if the meatballs aren't so covered in some salty or super sweet tomato gravy. Must be covered with grated assiago (chunks not those wood shavings)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Just remembered a great tuna sandwich at Pioneer Boulangerie in Santa Monica, across the street from our work place. Very dangerous as they had a good bakery too. It's not there anymore; I remember that as a long story. Anyway, I could never duplicate the way that sandwich tasted on my own. The bread was their own company Dutch Crunch bread, you could just buy that, but the greater thing was the tuna mix.

Just looked them up and sure enough they've opened again in another spot. That's since I've last been in town. Good for them. Wonder if the place is just as great.

http://www.foodiebytes.com/menu/ca/santamonica/pioneer-boulangerie.html
0 Replies

sharmasunidhi016

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 01:15 am
@Stray Cat,
Veg cheese sandwich......
vonny

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 03:05 am
@sharmasunidhi016,
Feta cheese and red onion - delicious!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 08:32 am
@farmerman,
From the article -

At Bay Cities, the house-made bread is their secret weapon, a golden brown, crunchy roll with soft spongy insides that are ideal for soaking in your dressing or tomato sauce.

The meatballs, made from beef, pork, and a modest sprinkling of fennel seeds, are nestled inside this bread, topped with tomato sauce, dusted with finely grated Parmesan cheese, then wrapped in paper and aluminum foil. It is almost minimalist in its execution, but sometimes that's what a sandwich needs. Could the meatballs be a tad softer? Probably. But this sloppy, cocksure sandwich is also precisely what it ought to be. An acidic sauce provides a counterpoint to its squishy, hot, density, while also melting in with the cheese and interior bread, creating a delightfully sludgy layer between crust and meat.

No, the meatballs shouldn't be a tad softer!

Bay Cities won in that article (a hungry making article) -

From article - The deciding factor, it seems, is the bread. Eastside Market's simple white roll was really no match, tasting like just about any French roll you'll find at any average supermarket. So victory goes to the (barely) elder sandwich shop, proving once again that yes -- bread is a vital part of a great sandwich.

I miss Bay Cities market so much: last time I was in LA (2009) I went there again with my niece. Still a great place. They have a few tables and seats on a linear porch facing a busy boulevard. Ah, ambiance memories. I still have a red tee shirt from there, loud and proud I wear it.

Interesting choice they made - at some point after I'd moved from LA they expanded into the space that used to be a Big and Tall type shop for guys. They could have made it a cafe space, but instead kept their outside minimal concrete picnic spaces and made the new space a display of a lot of terrific wines. (Beers and sodas were in the back of the main store). Good decision, sez me.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 08:45 am
A Pain Bagnat.

Crunchy baguette sliced lengthways, stuffed with all sorts of umphh and gromphy stuff that induces copious slobbering, dressed with something that, if it was a sound it would be a loud orgasm..topped with....topped with....oh god.....must resist....
It's far easier to just post a pic....sigh.

https://www.acultivatednest.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/pan-bagnat.jpg
0 Replies