historicity of Jesus

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:22 am
It seems as if momma has declared another round of war. So be it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:29 am
Not much to be had from engaging in a contest of wits against inadequately equipped opponents.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:30 am
spoiled sport
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:35 am
timberlandko wrote:
snood wrote:
Nothing dishonest about it - she hasn't tried to hide the fact that she needed help, and asked for it.

The dishonesty lies in the concept of the call, snood, not in the manner of its issuance.

Whatever the hell that means. She hasn't tried to hide the "concept" of the call - those people are her friends, and the fact that they tend to all spout the same scriptural content is just because they think similarly. And there's no dishonesty in the knowledge that they know you don't like it.

Quote:
They wouldn't have any reason to come here this time, except Arella keeps taking an unprovoked beating from all you wolrdly wise types.

Nonsense - nobody has been beating on anyone.

You seem to really think that if you dress up your lowblows and insults with pretty words, that it makes it other than it is. You cannot disagree with Arella without insulting her. I've seen it time and time again. I know it to be true, because I have disagreed with her myself, and it doesn't have to sink to the same level.

Some, however, are neither able to separate themselves from their positions, nor able to make a coherent case for the positions they espouse. More of the same is but more of the same; inanity is rendered no less inane for there being an increase of it. I expect nothing else from the troops our defenseless freind has marshalled to her support.

There - "inane" and incoherent. You can't abuse people into reasoned debate. It would be better all around if you just dropped the pretense, and admitted you get some kind of punkass jollies from picking on her. The position you try to take is that you are somehow being instructive, and you are no more above being personal than anyone else.

Quote:
Timberland, don't you think its strange that no one but men (and Lash) on A2K attack Arella? Do you think there's any method to the reasoning that keeps the women from joining in the pecking parties?

No, not at all. I certainly don't. Are you implying that skeptical criticism might be misogynistic, and/or that the gentler gender might be predisposed to delusion? How unchivalrous of you.

"Skeptical criticism" is one way of looking at it. To some of us, it looks like you're just too weak to let certain things go, too weak not to get the last word...

I know a lot of people to whom "being right" is as important as it is to you. You have to keep proving it, over and over, whether you are being resisted or not.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:36 am
timberlandko wrote:
Not much to be had from engaging in a contest of wits against inadequately equipped opponents.

But then, you can't help yourself, can you?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:48 am
Did I miss the gathering of the clan? Welcome to all the new members. How many of you will stay around to actively participate in the forums? Or, did you just drop by to post a few tedious sermons, never to be heard from again?

Arella, I'm happy to meet your friends; don't get me wrong. But so far I haven't seen any posts of substance.

What is the purpose of their presence?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:50 am
The army descendeth, neo. It's not about substance, it's about numbers.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:09 am
neologist wrote:
Did I miss the gathering of the clan? Welcome to all the new members. How many of you will stay around to actively participate in the forums? Or, did you just drop by to post a few tedious sermons, never to be heard from again?

Arella, I'm happy to meet your friends; don't get me wrong. But so far I haven't seen any posts of substance.

Don't be coy, Neo - she asked them to come becasue she felt besieged. Or have you totally not noticed the ongoing sluggout?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:41 am
snood wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
snood wrote:
Nothing dishonest about it - she hasn't tried to hide the fact that she needed help, and asked for it.

The dishonesty lies in the concept of the call, snood, not in the manner of its issuance. A mob lends no credence to an argument, only volume.

Whatever the hell that means. She hasn't tried to hide the "concept" of the call - those people are her friends, and the fact that they tend to all spout the same scriptural content is just because they think similarly. And there's no dishonesty in the knowledge that they know you don't like it.

Non sequitur, snood, and straw man; wholly irrelevant - no allegation or implication of the call being disquised was presented. To put it more simply, the dishonesty lies in the tactic - marshalling the mob.

Quote:
They wouldn't have any reason to come here this time, except Arella keeps taking an unprovoked beating from all you wolrdly wise types.

Nonsense - nobody has been beating on anyone. Some, however, apparently unable to support a proposition through argument, seek support in numbers.

Quote:
You seem to really think that if you dress up your lowblows and insults with pretty words, that it makes it other than it is. You cannot disagree with Arella without insulting her. I've seen it time and time again. I know it to be true, because I have disagreed with her myself, and it doesn't have to sink to the same level.

snood, by your posts,you appear to share with some others a propensity to fail to separate argument from arguer, whether in the first person or the third. An attack on an argument and/or its manner of presentation is not an attack on the presenter of that argument, and negative appraisal is not insult, it is criticism, rebuttal, and refutation. Demonstrate that I have "insulted" other than argument or manner of presentation.

Quote:
Some, however, are neither able to separate themselves from their positions, nor able to make a coherent case for the positions they espouse. More of the same is but more of the same; inanity is rendered no less inane for there being an increase of it. I expect nothing else from the troops our defenseless freind has marshalled to her support.

There - "inane" and incoherent. You can't abuse people into reasoned debate. It would be better all around if you just dropped the pretense, and admitted you get some kind of punkass jollies from picking on her. The position you try to take is that you are somehow being instructive, and you are no more above being personal than anyone else.

Now, here, snood, you fall to ad hominem and invective, and inanely at that. Characteristic of some, to the point of stereotype, serving only to confirm and validate the criticism to which it ineptly and ineffectually is directed, and to reinforce the stereotype thereby exemplified.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Timberland, don't you think its strange that no one but men (and Lash) on A2K attack Arella? Do you think there's any method to the reasoning that keeps the women from joining in the pecking parties?

No, not at all. I certainly don't. Are you implying that skeptical criticism might be misogynistic, and/or that the gentler gender might be predisposed to delusion? How unchivalrous of you.

"Skeptical criticism" is one way of looking at it. To some of us, it looks like you're just too weak to let certain things go, too weak not to get the last word...

I know a lot of people to whom "being right" is as important as it is to you. You have to keep proving it, over and over, whether you are being resisted or not.

I find quite revealing that some consistently resort to the ploy of attempting to silence or otherwise dismiss ideas and arguments incongruent with or counter to ideas of their own; whether unwilling or unable to address and withstand opposition, their stock in trade is to not confront the substance of that opposition but rather to decry that such opposition might exist and to disparage those presenting that opposition. That is not argument, snood; along with being disingenuous if not consciously duplicitous discourse, it is avoidance and denial.

snood wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

But then, you can't help yourself, can you?

I neither need help nor have I asked for any, snood - which transparent ploy on the part of another participant in this discussion precisely is at the center of this current digression.

snood wrote:
neologist wrote:

Don't be coy, Neo - she asked them to come becasue she felt besieged. Or have you totally not noticed the ongoing sluggout?

Again, snood, nobody is beseiged, though some fail to make the case for their proposition - it is proposition, argument, and manner of presentation, not personages, that are under attack. Again, more of the same is but more of the same; no argument of substance, let alone validity, in support of the religionist proposition at discussion has been presented. Nor, by the evidence of that so far posted by the newcomers to this discussion, as noted by Neo, does there appear to be promise of same.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:50 am
On page 4--page 4, mind you--i responded to Coastal Rat in an ongoing discussion we were having about the historical basis for the events described as "Passion Week." At the end of that response, i commented on MOAN's latest "Well, that's just what i believe" post. She then went ballistic, and successfully derailed this thread by making it all about herself, and not about the topic at hand. She's absolutely correct--i call her MOAN, secure in the knowledge that it will set her off. She has lied at this site, and told more lies to cover her other lies, until a site was linked which gave the lie to her. She manufactured an incident in the attempt to gain my sympathy--and when it worked, when she played me for a fool, another member pointed out to me what she was likely up to. I particularly resent her having done so because in the process of making a fool of me, she elicited compassion and and expression of humane regard from me. No one likes being played for a fool--even less will anyone appreciate it when the means was to elicit sympathy on false pretenses. So i will continue to call MOAN by that name, and i will relish how easily one can jerk her chain by doing so.

This thread is not about the so-often expressed invincible ignorance of MOAN's belief. She has contributed nothing to the discussion at hand.

The topic is whether or not there is any historical foundation to assert that the putative Jesus did exist. I have pointed out that i consider it probable, but that i see no historical evidence for it. I have pointed out that i don't have for an object to disprove that the putatitve Jesus existed. The subject, before being derailed by the petty childish egoism of MOAN, had turned to whether or not there are sources independent of the cult which confirm that the putative Jesus existed. I assert that there are not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:05 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
There is definitely evidence that a Jesus existed.

Somewhere in India, there is a tomb for a wiseman called Issa (which happens to be an Arabic name for Jesus). He is buried in the traditional Jewish orientation and had moulds made of his feet, which show scars as if they had been nailed in the fashion of a person whom has been nailed to a cross.

Whether this is the same Jesus as the one in the Bible is not clear.

Quite apart from being skeptical as to the veracity of this claim, i would point out that the Romans did not nail people to a cross when they crucified them--they simply tied their wrists to the cross bar, and allowed them to die slowly, after breaking bones in their legs. The "cross" used by the Romans also was in the form "+" but was in a "T" form. The cross as construed by the Christians was a blatant appropriation of an already existant and well-established religious symbol. The canard about the boy being nailed to a cross by the Romans was a bit of melodrama to increase the sense of the suffering the individual was alleged to have suffered. The claim about a tomb in India, and about a Yuz Asaf, known in Arabic as Issa, has no reliable substantiation prior to the claim being made in 1889. There is no good reason to believe this--although, if anyone wants to believe, they are, of course, free to stand up and shout: "Yeah, well, that's just what i believe!"--and thereby derail the thread by making it about themselves, and not the topic.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:08 am
Well, to get back to the topic at hand, let's look at contemporary (or at least as close to contemporary as we can get) historians, shall we?

Flavius Josephus - perhaps not unbiased and not necessarily a clear source of information, plus he's not quite a contemporary, but he's pretty close.
Suetonius - if I recall correctly, he doesn't have much on Christians but I could be recalling incorrectly. He was a Roman and so has his own spin on things. He's also from later than Josephus so he's further removed from the time period in question. He was also somewhat sensationalistic, very big on gossiping about the emperors. Reviewing him can be a bit like reviewing The National Inquirer in order to learn history.
Tacitus - also Roman, about the same time period as Suetonius but seems a bit less tabloid-y.
Cassius Dio - he comes in later and not too much of his work survives. I haven't read him so I can't comment.

Although the Emperor Claudius wrote historical works during his life, I don't think any survive or few survive.

Are there other sources? I mean, isn't that the point here? To check sources and vet them for validity?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:24 am
You could also add:

Pliny the Younger
Pliny was the Governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor (AD. 112). He was responsible for executing Christians for not worshipping or bowing down to a statue of the emperor Trajan. In a letter to the emperor Trajan, he describes how the people on trial for being Christians would describe how they sang songs to Christ because he was a god.

Thallus and Phlegon
Both were ancient historians and both confirmed the fact that the land went dark when Jesus was crucified. This parallels what the Bible said happened when Jesus died.

Mara Bar-Serapion
Some time after 70 A.D., Mara Bar-Sarapion, who was probably a Stoic philosopher, wrote a letter to his son in which he describes how the Jews executed their King. Claiming to be a king was one of the charges the religious authorities used to scare Pontius Pilate into agreeing to execute Jesus.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:31 am
In light of that, Jes, I s'pose its relevant to trot out this again:

[url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2049462#2049462]timber[/url] wrote:
... there is no independent, external-to-scripture, contemporarilly sourced proof of the existence of the figure central to the myth of Christianity. The only evidence any such person existed is to be found in Christianity's own writings - nowhere else.

This has been covered several times on these boards:

a while back, and not for the 1st time, [url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1678270#1678270]timber[/url] wrote:

... Apart from internal reference derived wholly and exclusively from the Abrahamic Mythopaeia itself, what evidence have you for these claims? To my knowledge, no independent, direct historical reference to anything you've mentioned there exists. I submit there is no forensically, academically, scientifically valid evidence for the existence either of the Biblical Jesus nor the Biblical Moses.

Leaving Moses for later discussion, let's examine the actual historicity of the Biblical Jesus. Those who've followed earlier discussions of mine pertaining to this particular point may experience a deja vu moment; indeed I previously have written just about exactly what follows. Feel free to ship over it if you've seen it before Laughing

Those arguing for the historicity of Jesus point frequently to Tacitus: Annals 15:44, which translates, " ... "derived their name and origin from Christ, who, in the reign of Tiberius, had suffered death by the sentence of the Procurator Pontius Pilate". More on Tacitus' reference in a bit, but first, there are a few other nearly contemporary references from other writers cited as historical proof, as well. Apologists for the Historicity of Jesus make much of the little on which they have to draw.

Frequently mentioned in similar vein to the Tacitus "proof" is Josephus' Testimonium Flavianum, from Antiquities of the Jews 18:63-64, which translates, " ... About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and as a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing amongst us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared." Frequent mention also is made of Josephus, Antiquities 20:9.1, which translates " ... so he ("he" in the passage referring to one Ananus, eldest son of High Priest Ananus ... timber) assembled the Sanhedrin of judges, and brought before him the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others and when he had formed an accusation against them, he delivered them to be stoned."

Of the two Josephus references, the second, often termed the "Jamesian Passage" is accorded by historians somewhat more provenance than the first, or Testimonium Flavianum passage, which generally is accepted to be if not a whole later addition, at the very least a later-edited expansion by a 3rd Century transcriber of Christian agenda. However, neither passage is universally accepted as original, at least as currently known, to Josephus' Antiquities. There are questions arising both from contextual positioning - word usage and phrasing - and apparent internal contradictions arising from considering the passages with the overall Antiquities. It is known that Origen, a renowned 3rd Century Christian scholar and a key figure in the early evolution of Christianity, referenced the Testimonium Flavianum. It is known too that the style and word usage of the Testimonium Flavianum, while not particularly characteristic of Josephus' practice, is wholly consistent with Origen's style and usage.

Highlighted here in blue are the phrases which give scholars difficulty: " ... About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and as a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing amongst us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared." Particularly of note is the "Messiah" reference; numerous times throughout Antiquities and his other writings, Josephus specifically and unambiguously bestows the title "Messiah" on his own patron, the Emperor Trajan. Perplexing as well is that Josephus wrote much more expansively of John The Baptist and of other zealots and cult figures among the Jews ... writings all devoid of any Jesus, Christ, or Christian reference. A last eyebrow raiser lies in the reverent tone with which Christ is described - not at all fitting either with Josephus' style or general contemporary sentiment.

None of that by itself is damning evidence, but neither is there unambiguous provenance. While it is entirely plausible Josephus wrote of Jesus, it cannot be proven that he did, and there is plentiful credible argument he did not.

Turning to Tacitus, the sole relevant passage in Annals does nothing more than confirm that at the time Tacitus was writing, there was a cult styled as "Christians", the members of which professed a belief that their self-purported central cult figure, "Christ", had died a martyr at the hands of Pilate, "Procurator of Judea" during the reign of Tiberius. That alone raises serious question as to any provenance derived thereby. While the Tacitus text suffers from none of the provenance difficulties afflicting the Josephus examples, in no way is it independent evidence of anything other than that a cult known as Christians had a tradition involving the death of their putative namesake. The key point of difficulty historians have with the oft-cited Tacitus passage is that he terms Pilate "Procurator", whereas the actual office held by Pilate was Prefect - a terminology distinction error very unlike, in fact otherwise unevidenced in, anything else ever written by Tacitus. It is, however, an error echoed in the Gospels, though nowhere else. Too, he refers to Jesus by the Graeco-Christian religious title "Christos", an honorific, as opposed to the almost universally observed contemporary Roman practice of referring to personages other than nobility or signal military accomplishment (which itself generally conveyed nobility) by given names further delineated by patronymics or regional identifiers; Abraham son of Judah, for instance, or Simon of Gaza. One must strongly consider the possibility Tacitus was working not from Roman records in this instance, but rather recounting what he had been told by or heard of Christians.

Other 1st Century writers, Suetonius, Thalus, and Pliny the Younger, also are thought by some to offer independent historical evidence of Jesus.

A passage from Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars, specifically Claudius 5.25.4, translates, "Since the Jews constantly made disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus (the contextual reference is to action taken in 49 CE by Claudius, then Emperor ... timber) expelled them from Rome." Several things stand out here. First, and perhaps least troubling, is that "Chrestus" actually is a common latinization of a known Greek proper name wholly unrelated to the messianic religious title "Christ", or "Christos". Second, there is no reference to "Christians", but rather those being discussed are given the appellation "Jews", and finally, the events described took place in 49 AD, disturbances instigated in Rome by one Chrestus, an individual apparently present both temporally and locationally regarding the disturbances - nearly 2 decades after the accepted date of Jesus' death. The only connection to Jesus or to Christians is the similarity of spelling between the name "Chrestus" and the title or honorific "Christos". Most interesting is that Pliny the Elder, writing much closer to the times in which the incidents reportedly took place, mentions Christians and/or Christ not at all.

With Thalus, we delve even deeper into ambiguity; no first person text survives, and the earliest reference to Thalus describing the crucifixion as having been accompanied by "earthquake and darkness", echoing Gospel accounts, is to be found in the 3rd Century writings of Julius Africanus, a Christian writer and leader. No contemporary record of any such occurrence in or near Judea/Palestine during the 1st Century exists ... a surprising circumstance had there been in fact unexplained mid-day darkness coincident with earthquake. That sorta thing tends to get noticed, and written about, big time. That it might have been left unremarked by any other than the Gospelers and possibly Thalus beggars the imagination.

Turning to Pliny the Younger, his voluminous correspondences with the Emperor Trajan bear frequent mention of Christians in Asia Minor, their beliefs and their practices in context of dissent against and resistance to Roman authority, and amount to discussions of how best to deal with the bother and disturbance fostered by the Christian cult. There is no mention whatsoever of Jesus, and the only reference to "Christ" is to be found in the term "Christians".

In short, history tells us nothing about the historicity of Jesus beyond that there was an offshoot cult of Judaism known as Christians, they had traditions, beliefs and practices, and that Roman Authority thought none too highly of them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:32 am
Yes, Jespah, that is the point. Basically, when you get right down to it, the Christians are forced to rely upon ambiguous passages, or passages which honest scholars consider to be interpolations. This is particularly the case with Tacitus and Flavius Josephus. In the case of Tacitus, there is good textual evidence for an interpolation on the basis that if one removes the suspect portion of the passage relating to the fire at Rome, not only does the passage continue to make sense in classical Latin, it scans better that it does with the suspect material, which material many scholars have pointed out has the hallmarks of "monk's Latin," which is to say, the degenerate form of Latin which descended through monasteries among copyists who were not native speakers of Latin. Furthermore, the passage uses the term "Christus" and "Christianos"--but the term "Christian" was not in use in the period referred to (the Fire at Rome occurred in 64 CE), not even by those whom we would call Christians, and was not in use in the lifetime of Tactitus, outside of a small community of the cult in Syria near the time that Tacitus died. The passage also suggests that Nero was using the Christians as scapegoats, but that assumes that Nero started the fire, and that is known to be a Christian canard. Finally, there simply weren't any significant number of Christians in Rome in 64 CE, and no early "church father" or Christian scholar claims that there were.

The Josephus passage, the entire paragraph, is believed by reputable scholars to be an interpolation. Origen of Alexandria, who was the greatest of the early Christian scholars, and who is primarily responsible for the selection of the four-gospel cannon, and the rejection of all other "gospels" and testaments, frequently mentions Josephus, but never mentions that passage, which would of course have cinched the question of the historical verification of the existence of the putative Jesus. The claim about the passage in Josephus does not appear until it was presented by Eusebius of Caesarea in the early fourth century--and Eusebius was therefore not a near contemporary of either the putative Jesus or of Josephus. No "church father" or scholar prior to Euesebius mentions the passage in Jospehus. Finally, Eusebius himself stated, in writing, that he considered it acceptable and no sin to lie in support of Christianity.

An excellent refutation of modern claims for the historicity of Jesus by Gordon Stein can be found here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:34 am
Intrepid apparently ignores the long discussion which CR and i had on the issue of "Passion Week." The Sanhedrin were appointed by Roman prefects from a short list provided by Herod. They were not going to "scare" Pilate into doing anything. Furthermore, as Prefect, Pilate had no authority to try or execute anyone.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:48 pm
Hey there Set. Gotta question for you. Since our discussion, I wanted to better educate myself on the duties and such of Roman Prefects since much of our discussion centered around what you claimed Pilate had no authority to do. I have found a number of places that seem to indicate that Pilate, and indeed the other few prefects of Judea did exercise the right to condemn and execute those accused of treason or advocating resistance to Roman rule.

Could you give me a reference to back up your contention that they did not have this authority? I enjoy history and always like being as knowledgable as possible about things that I discuss, so would like to read up more on the role of the Judean prefects.

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:35 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Feeling put upon, and without argument of substance, one of our number has cried out to the herd for reinforcements. We're in for a tedious bout of preaching, proselytizing, and parroting, by all appearances - one might think the member responsible for the cattle call would have learned from prior experience the silliness of such a dishonest ploy.

Timber, now YOU are assuming. My friends aren't here to prostelyize. I made that very clear to them that we are not to do that.

And what's dishonest about this Timber? A couple of days ago I posted in a thread I was going to invite Christian friends to A2K. So, looks like I was honest and just did what I said I would do.

And you can just keep your little jabs about prior ploys Timber. When I was accused of it at first I hadn't done it. I did do it weeks later and admitted doing it.

I'm not hiding a thing here.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:37 pm
J_B wrote:
A thumper gathering? This is going to be interesting.

Nah, no Bible thumping J.B.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:39 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
There is definitely evidence that a Jesus existed.

Somewhere in India, there is a tomb for a wiseman called Issa (which happens to be an Arabic name for Jesus). He is buried in the traditional Jewish orientation and had moulds made of his feet, which show scars as if they had been nailed in the fashion of a person whom has been nailed to a cross.

Whether this is the same Jesus as the one in the Bible is not clear.

Wolfie, it's nice to know that you will even entertain the idea that Jesus did exist. However, I would say whoever is in that tomb is not Jesus Christ. He's not dead so He wouldn't be in a tomb. Laughing
0 Replies