historicity of Jesus

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:41 pm
Yet more straw man, and red herring, rl - I must take it you are incapable of embarrassment.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:01 am
timberlandko wrote:

real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

real life wrote:
Iasion wrote:
Greetings,

real life wrote:
Matthew, John, Peter and James were all eyewitnesses who wrote of Jesus. Who are you saying copied from who?

Not according to modern NT scholars.

G.Mark was first - not by an eye-witness, but probably written in Rome - this book shows no local knowledge of Palestine, but has several errors.

G.Matthew copied from G.Mark - not an eye-witness.

The letters of John are pseudo-graphs - not written by John.

Similarly the letters of Peter and James are pseudo-graphs - not written by Peter or James.

In fact, it is the consensus of modern NT scholars that NOT ONE SINGLE book of the NT was written by anyone who met any historical Jesus.

Iasion

A more accurate statement is, that it is the learned opinion of SOME modern NT scholars.

No, while correct in essence, that answer would be extremely misleading. The overwhelming majority consensus of legitimate, objective, academically credentialled, interested, qualified scholars WHO ARE NOT CHRISTIAN APLOGISTS is that the Gospels of the NT as it exists today are not the products of eyewitnesses to the events recounted therein.........Why should we expect this time might be different from the last time?

Why indeed? Especially when you use such circular reasoning to disqualify all who disagree with you.

In timber's world , one is only legitimate if one does not believe the Bible.

Just as you previously stated, (but would not defend) the idea that Josephus could not be used when discussing the Jewish canon because he was a Jew and would have knowledge of and respect for the OT.

Now you want to assert similarly that any scholar who believes the Bible is not qualified blah blah blah............

The sum of your circular argument is:

One cannot be a legitimate scholar is he believes the Bible. Why? Because believing the Bible is not a position held by legitimate scholars.

Or to put it in timberspeak: 'The overwhelming majority of scholars who agree with me, agree with me.'

Yet more straw man, and red herring, rl - I must take it you are incapable of embarrassment.

Not by you, O Circular one. Laughing
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:01 am
For real life, the fun is in inventing positions for his oponents by reading his own meanings into whatever is said. He is truely an eisegetical phenom.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:27 am
You might look at your own practice of redefining words, DS.

Probably what you think of as 'reading meaning into' something, is actually someone using the standard definition for a word (something you seem to have an occasional aversion to).

Like when you refer to yourself as god.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:42 am
real life wrote:
hi Setanta,

Getting back for a moment to the question of Roman records, specifically of Jesus' execution:

Pilate questioned Jesus on several occasions that night and each time told the Jewish leaders that he had no basis on which to condemn Him.

It would seem that Pilate therefore would have no reason to have recorded passing the sentence of death upon Him, (since he did not do so), would he?

Your basis for this series of statements form authority is what? If it is the alleged "gospels," then you have missed the point of the discussion since page two. Although there are pages and pages of successful diversion by MOAN to make herself the topic, rather than the historicity of Jesus--when the subject of the thread has not been diverted, the focus has been on records which prove the contentions in the gospels. No one here that i have seen has said that anything were disproven. So, the meat of the discussion, within the hedge of Christian self-promotion, is that an absence of records addresses the theme of the thread, the historicity of Jesus. More specifically, it has turned on the implication that a lack of non-Christian support for the account in the "gospels" fatally undermines the contentions of historical evidence which are touted by Christian "scholars."

So, i have addressed the subject of whether or not Pilate would have left a record of either condemning or executing someone alleged to be a rebel or a potential rebel. As we have been discussing whether or not there are reliable historical records to that effect, and the "gospels" are not considered by reputable scholars without a religious agenda as reliable historical records, the silence of other records is telling. Pilate occupied the position of Praefectus Civitatum. I intend to use the formal title from now on, as there are several types of Prefect, many of which were military ranks, and i strongly suspect that if CR ever comes up with his sources to suggest that Pilate had the authority to either condemn or execute someone, that the source will be a Christian source which either through ignorance or intended deceit, will have falsely characterized Pilate's office and its powers.

From the time of the expulsion of the Tarquins (about 500 BCE), the Romans were obsessively legalistic. No one could be put to death except upon conviction by a duly constituted court, and then death sentence was automatically to be reviewed by the Senate. If a Tribune declared veto (literally: I forbid it.), then that person could only be executed upon a confimation of the sentence by a vote of the tribes duly assembled (the tribe was the basic political unit of the Roman Republic). All officers of any duly constituted court were members of the Patres, the Senatorial order. The only exception to this was the Dictator. When in times of emergency a Dictator was elected, the lictor carried before him the fasces, a bundle of stave symbolic of the authority of the lictors acting under the orders of the Consuls or the Dicatator. Only the Dictator was preceeded by a fasces with a ceremonial axe in the middle of the bundle, symbolic of the power of life and death which the Dictator weilded for the term of his office. Even the Consuls, the two elected "Kings" who served for a year's term, did not have the symbolic authority of a fasces with the ceremonial axe--the fasces carried before them was simply a bundle of staves--even the Consuls did not weild the power of life and death.

Caesar made himself Dictator, from the example of Sulla. After his assassination, and after Octavian had won the civil war against Brutus, Cassius and Marc Antony, Octavian became Caesar Augustus, and declared himself Princeps, meaning "First Citizen." He took upon himself the powers of the Dictator. He continued to maintain all of the offices which had been created in the more than four century history of the Republican Empire, and until Constantine reorganized the Empire in the fourth century, the bureacratic, civil administrative and military system of Augustus was maintained. Consuls were appointed and became the rulers of Consular provinces, answerable only to the Emperor. Other provinces, of which Syria was an example, were Senatorial provinces, and a Legate or Proconsul was appointed--these men were also of Senatorial rank. Smaller provinces which were the constituent units of Consular or Senatorial provinces were ruled by Proconsuls or Prefects--depending upon their percieved importance. Civil Prefects--the Praefectus Civitatum such as Pilate--were relatively uncommon. Iudaea was a Prefecture, if you will, because it had insignificant tax revenues, but laid across important trade routes, and hence was seen as needing a man locally to oversee the furtherance of commerce and the collection of commercial revenues.

A Praefectus Civitatum was a man of Equestrian rank, below the rank of the Senatorial class. Pilate was a member of the Equestrian order. Even members of the Senatorial class were not competent to execute someone out of hand--they could only do so as a result of a sentence by a duly constituted court, and in matters of provincial controversy, usually referred to the Imperial authority before taking action. Look at the correspondence of Pliny with the Emperor Trajan. He has executed some people who were described as or who described themselves as Christians, because of impiety (in that they refused to perform the ritual worship of the state religion--which would have left them free to pursue their own cult unmolested). He felt constrained, however, to correspond with the Emperor to explain his actions and to ask for guidance--even though Pliny was not just a member of the Senatorial order, but a Senator who had been made Governor of Pontus and Bythinia.

But the Christian "scholars" would have us believe that a civil administrator, the subordinate of and subject to the order of a Senatorial Legate, executed a man out of hand, and saw no reason to justify his actions. Let's construct a little analogy, and see how it holds up. A council of Shi'ite Imams in Iraq decides that a particular Sunni Arab is an insurrgent, so they tell an American civil administrator to have him arrested. Incredibly, the civil administrator agrees, and tells a military officer to arrest the man, who, still more incredibly, does so without further consulting the authority of his superiors. Then, having examined the man, he sends him back to the Imams, saying he has no reason to consider the man an insurrgent. Then, the Imams send him back, saying they have condemned him for a heretic and a rebel, and tell the civil administrator to hve him executed. To ice the cake, the administrator then tells a military officer to have him executed, and most incredibly of all, that officer basically says: "Sure, no problem."--and rounds up some enlisted men with rifles and takes the poor son-of-a-bitch out back and shoots him.

Your scenario is no less preposterous than that. Pilate had no authority to duly constitute a court, and no authority to exectue anyone. At the very least, just to cover his own ass, he would have sent such an individual to the Legate at Damascus with a précis of the charges against him. There would have been a record in such a case. Therefore, if the putative Jesus actually did exist, and if indeed someone executed him, the odds are astronomically against that someone having been Pilate.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:58 am
rl, your long-evidenced manner of posting persistent intentional misconstrual, blatant denial, specious argument, and outright absurdities has forfeited for your contributions to these discussions any claim to respect or consideration. Disputatious argumentiveness, not open argument, characterizes the body of your interactions here. Henceforth, absent significant improvement in the maturity and intellectual honesty of your posts, I shall regard same as the laughingstock typified by their juvenile, ignorant style and substance. Any attempt at reasoned discourse with one given to posting as have you serves only to confer unwarranted dignity upon the ludicrous position and practice your posts heretofore have exemplified.

Enjoy ... your interaction here has more than earned it, and long has merited it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:06 am
By the way, as you are one of those fond of claiming that Christians were widely persecuted, and acknowleding that you have stipulated they may well not have been officially persecuted--i think that in the history forum it would be appropriate to point out for anyone else reading here that the early Principiate Empire bascially had a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. We know more about Pliny, possibly, than any other Roman, because so much of his writings and his correspondence have survived, and because, acting of the evidence of his correspondence, two of his residences have been dug up, which tends to confirm the texts with which the places had been located. Pliny wrote to the Emperor about the "problem" of the Christians. Both the Christians and the Jews were very unpopular in the Empire, because they would not conform to the state religion. This only required that they perform, and only very rarely, a sacrifice in the local civil temple--they were thereafter free to practice what ever religion their cult demanded saving an appeal to civil insurrection. Christians and Jews both frequently refused to do so, and therefore brought the opprobium of their neighbors upon their own heads, as those neighbors did not intend to suffer the Imperial wrath because of the actions of Christians or Jews in their midst. Pliny writes to the Emperor to explain his actions and to get guidance in the matter, and it is a perversion of the meaning of the text which Christian "scholars" use to claim that Pliny is evidence for the historisty of Jesus. But Pliny does not mention any Jesus. Trajan's articulation of a "don't ask, don't tell policy" is highlighted in the text:

Gaius Plinius to the Emperor Trajan

It is for me an important point of responsibility to refer to you as Head of State, things about which I have questions, since you are the person best able to set straight my hesitations and correct my lack of information.

Actually I have never been present at a Examination (cognitio) of Christians, so I do not know what punishment is required or how far it is to be carried out. Nor do I understand the legal grounds for a prosecution, or how stringently it is to be prosecuted. I am not clear about prosecutions in respect to the age of the persons, whether no distinction should be made between the young and the old, and furthermore whether a pardon should be granted in cases of recanting, or if there is no advantage for a person completely ceasing to be a Christian. Or is it the name "Christian" which is prosecutable, even if not involved in criminal actions, or is that "criminality" is automatically attached to the name?

In the meantime, I now handle it this way with those who are turned over to me as Christians. I ask them directly, in person, if they are Christian, I ask a second and third time to be sure, and indicate to them the danger of their situation. If they persist, I order them led dispatched (= executed). I have had no trouble with this, since whatever it was they admitted or professed, I decided that their obstinacy and unyielding inflexibility should be sufficient reason for punishment. Some others who were virtually insane with this cult, but Roman citizens, I sent back to Rome for trial.

As I continue with this handling of the situation, as often happens, the numbers and kinds of incriminations are becoming more widespread. An anonymous List has been brought out which contains the names of a great many persons. I decided to dismiss charges again any on this list who stated that they were now not, nor had ever been Christians, if they repeated after me a prayer of invocation to the Gods, and made an offering of wine and incense to your statue, which I had brought in to the court along with the statues of the Gods, for this purpose. And in addition they were to formally curse Christ, which I understand true Christians will never do.

Other named by the anonymous List said they were Christians, and later changed their statement. Some said that they had been and then stopped, some three years before, some longer, some even twenty years before. All these reverenced your statue and those of the Gods, and cursed Christ. They stated that the sum total of their error or misjudgment, had been coming to a meeting on a given day before dawn, and singing responsively a hymn to Christ as to God, swearing with a holy oath not to commit any crime, never to steal or commit robbery, commit adultery, fail a sworn agreement or refuse to return a sum left in trust. When all this was finished, it was their custom to go their separate ways, and later re-assemble to take food of an ordinary and simple kind. But after my edict which forbids all political Societies, they did in fact give this up.I thought at this point that it was necessary to get information from two slave women, whom they call Deaconesses (ministrae) about the actual truth, by means of torture. I found nothing worthy of blame other than the blind and over-wrought nature of their cult-superstition.

I have therefore postponed further Examinations (cognitiones) and made haste to come to you immediately for consultation. This situation seem to demand serious consultation, especially in view of the large number of people falling into this danger. A great many persons of every age, of every social class, men and women alike, are being brought in to trial, and this seems likely to continue. It is not only the cities, but also the towns and even the country villages which are being infected with this cult-contagion.

It seems possible to check and reverse this direction at this point, for it is quite clear that the Temples of the Gods which have been empty for so long, now begin to be filled again, the sacred rites which had lapsed are now being performed and flesh for sacrificial rites is now sold again at the shops, although for a while nobody would buy it. So it seems reasonable to think that a great many people could be persuaded to reform, IF there were a legal procedure for Repentance.

Emperor Trajan to Pliny:

You have done the right thing, my dear Pliny, in handling the cases of those who were brought to you under the charge of being Christians. But it is not possible to make hard and fast rule with one specific formula. These people must not be searched out, if they are brought before your court and the case against them is proved, they must be punished, but in the case of anyone who states that he is not a Christian and makes it perfectly clear that he is not, by offering prayers to our Gods, such a one is to be pardoned on the grounds of his present repentance, however suspect he may have been in the past. But anonymous lists must not have any place in the court proceedings. They are a terrible example and not at all in keeping with our times.

Additionally, this demonstrates the extent to which an administrator of a far higher rank than that which the Equestrian Pilate occupied was unwilling to traduce the Roman tradition of legalism.
0 Replies

Aussie Angel

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:07 pm
Eorl,

My argument? Well, not likely... just statistics, whichever way you want to read them Smile Lowest common denominator, once again your preception and related reflection Eorl. Yet still, you cling to you are all knowing and you are right. Your choice of course.

Other gods? Once again, you reflect your boy and fellow disbeliever Kamil's words, not mine...

We're not going so well here Eorl are we... wanna try again?

Athiests in Australia? Is that what you're referring to? Please elaborate... upon that which you are evidently well aware. I'd really appreciate it Smile

Not the thread for blatant attack on atheists, or Christians? Hmmm... think about this a moment Eorl...His existence? And you ask a Christian? I guess you must see physical evidence to believe Eorl? We don't see air Eorl, are you linked to an oxygen tank or something?

Also, as for attacking...sorry if I have offended you at all. If perhaps you have threatened as well. For this I am most sincerely apologetic. Perhaps though, you might like to re-peruse many of the former posts in this forum and tell me, who is the villified, or dare I say at the very least...marginalised?

Gee willikers, fine line there eh? Do you have anything more to add... or is your debate limited to ad hominem attacks and avoiding discussion ?

God bless you A.M!

Does God exist? You say no. That doesn't surprise me. I say yes...100%. Ya know how I know Eorl, and go ahead and chortle now, because that's ok too Smile

Because the reality (and the answer) is in your mirror every morning...

I cannot see you, but you leave a word for me... an impression on me... in my life... or do you? Are you really there Eorl?

Think about it Wink

God bless..
0 Replies

Aussie Angel

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:30 pm
Setanta...

Russell, Voltaire... Huxley... Ingersoll... Lord help me... even Charles Darwin, and you chose Thomas Jefferson.? Ok Smile

You have read many of Jefferson's works I presume? Of his life? His bible?

Then you would know...

On matters of religion, Jefferson in 1800 was accused by his political opponents of being an atheist and enemy of religion. But Jefferson wrote at length on religion and most of his biographers agree he was a deist, a common position held by European intellectuals in the late 18th century.

In summary, then, Jefferson was a deist because he believed in one God, in divine providence, in the divine moral law, and in rewards and punishments after death; but did not believe in supernatural revelation.

He was a Christian deist because he saw Christianity as the highest expression of natural religion and Jesus as an incomparably great moral teacher. He was not an orthodox Christian because he rejected, among other things, the doctrines that Jesus was the promised Messiah and the incarnate Son of God. Jefferson's religion is fairly typical of the American form of deism in his day.

I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Ezra Stiles Ely, June 25, 1819

So then, he believed in God, just not of Christaindom or religion per se... yes?

Jefferson used deist terminology in repeatedly stating his belief in a creator, and in the United States Declaration of Independence used the terms "Creator", "Nature's God". Jefferson believed, furthermore, it was this Creator that endowed humanity with a number of inalienable rights, such as "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

Figures eh?

...t [the Jefferson Bible] is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus, very different from the Platonists, who call me infidel and themselves Christians and preachers of the gospel, while they draw all their characteristic dogmas from what its author never said nor saw.

Now, who wrote that I wonder?

So it is, that your boy Jefferson really DID believe in Jesus... just not the rest of it...organised religion etc...

Just for the record too... faith is a relationship between one and God... not much more, and certainly nothing less Smile

Blessings Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 05:11 pm
At no time have i stated that Jefferson was an atheist. At no time have i suggested that Jefferson were not a believer in the historical provenance of the story of the putative Jesus.

I have read at least as much of Jefferson's writing and about Jefferson and his public and private life as i suspect you have. I've been reading history for more than 40 years, and have taken, not unnaturally, a great interest in the history of my homeland. If you are so well versed in Jefferson, then you'll know that in response to the Baptist congregation of Danbury, Connecticutt, he also wrote:

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state. [Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from presenting even occasional performances of devotion presented indeed legally where an Executive is the legal head of a national church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

To put it succinctly, i have not made any claim such as you charge me with by inference at least, if not outright. You are attempting to prop up a strawman.
0 Replies

Iasion

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 06:02 pm
Greetings,

real life wrote:
A more accurate statement is, that it is the learned opinion of SOME modern NT scholars.

Not so.
It is the consensus of the academy.

Only faithful believers think any NT work is by an eye-witness to Jesus.

real life wrote:
However, if you would like to post some of YOUR reasons for taking this position (other than 'I believe it because lots of modern scholars believe it'), I would be glad to see it.

Sure,
let's focus on 2 Peter :

* 2 Peter depends on Jude, a late work.

* 2 Peter is strongly influenced by Hellenism - not something Peter expounded.

* 2 Peter has a strong interest in opposing denials of the paroisia - an issue of the 2nd century.

* 2 Peter appeals to the Pauline collection and to the development of NT scripture - late issues.

* 2 Peter emphasises it's Petrine authority in arguing against gnostic elements and claims to be the "gauarantor of the tradition" - indicating a late origin.

* 2 Peter is not mentioned by any 2nd Century Christian.

Thus, 2 Peter is a pseudo-graph.
It was not written by Peter.

Similarly,
none of the other NT writings (except Paul) were written by the person whose name they bear.

Not one of the NT books was written by anyone who met a historical Jesus.

If YOU think one was - produce the evidence.
But please, not just faithful Christian claims.

Iasion
0 Replies

Aussie Angel

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:35 pm
Setanta,

make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.

If I may? Just one small thing...and then I shall leave you alone Smile

thus building a wall of separation between church and state...with regards to...make (making) no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

All in the parenthesis, no wait...perhaps I mean perspective?

Always Smile
0 Replies

Aussie Angel

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:45 pm
Isason,

That chap Burton Mack has a little to answer for doesn't he? lol

God, especially bless him Smile
0 Replies

Aussie Angel

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:51 pm
45-48 A.D.:

The book of James is written. Most non-Catholic Bible scholars agree that James was one of the half-brothers of Jesus (Catholics disagree because they believe that Jesus' mother had no other children) and the one who presided over the "Jerusalem Conference" in Acts 15:1-30 (48-50 A.D.). There are several other men named James in the New Testament (including two apostles), but there are strong reasons for eliminating them as the author of the book of James...

I won't go on...

I guess we've all gotta fill in our days, or make a buck somehow... and I'm sure, Burton really is a nice man Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:19 pm
Iasion wrote:
Greetings all,

Responding to Jespah -...Iasion

Thanks much.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:26 pm
Aussie Angel wrote:
Setanta,

make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.

If I may? Just one small thing...and then I shall leave you alone Smile

thus building a wall of separation between church and state...with regards to...make (making) no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

All in the parenthesis, no wait...perhaps I mean perspective?

Always Smile

Ignoring the witless emoticons, i will point out two things to you. The wall of separation clause of Mr. Jefferson's letter was not within parenthesis.

But the second thing is that i posted that precisely because it was a non sequitur to what had preceeded it. I wanted to make the point that your remarks about Jefferson were a non sequitur to the post in which i referred to Mr. Jefferson's version of the gospels--and in that you accused me directly of claiming that Jefferson was an atheist, and accused me inferentially of claiming that Jefferson provides evidence against the historicity of your boy Hey-Zeus, neither of which claim was true, you were erecting a strawman. To wit, you were knocking down arguments that i had not made, and your post did not follow--was a non sequitur--to the post in which i had "the Jefferson bible."

By the way, not only was Charles Darwin not an atheist, he was educated to be a member of the clery, and had intended to enter the clergy of the estalished church of England before he learned of the opportunity to sail aboard Beagle.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:38 pm
Setanta wrote:

By the way, not only was Charles Darwin not an atheist, he was educated to be a member of the clery, and had intended to enter the clergy of the estalished church of England before he learned of the opportunity to sail aboard Beagle.

According to Charles, he was an atheist like his father. Robert Darwin decided to send Charles off to Cambridge University for a degree in theology, after which he could purchase for him a "living" in an Anglican country church. There he could be a sportsman, a scholar, or an amateur naturalist, supported by a government stipend for life. Charles dutifully signed onto the Thirty-Nine Articles of the Church of England and entered Cambridge. He surely saw the hypocrisy in an atheist father's financing his son's preparation to be a minister of the gospel.

It was then that the opportunity to sail aboard the Beagle presented itself.
0 Replies

Iasion

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:41 pm
Greetings,

Aussie Angel wrote:
Isason

Would it be asking too much if you could get my name right?

Aussie Angel wrote:
That chap Burton Mack has a little to answer for doesn't he? lol

Really?
What do you think he has to answer for?

Aussie Angel wrote:
45-48 A.D.:
The book of James is written.

According to faithful believers, that is.

But,
modern NT scholars, however, take the view that James was written between 70 and 100 CE :
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/james.html

Aussie Angel wrote:
Most non-Catholic Bible scholars agree that James was one of the half-brothers of Jesus (Catholics disagree because they believe that Jesus' mother had no other children) and the one who presided over the "Jerusalem Conference" in Acts 15:1-30 (48-50 A.D.). There are several other men named James in the New Testament (including two apostles), but there are strong reasons for eliminating them as the author of the book of James...

In fact, most scholars (e.g. Kummel, Schnelle) agree the epistle was NOT written by James, for the following reasons :

Kummel wrote:
1. The cultured language of James is not that of a simple Palestinian. Sevenster's evidence that the Greek language was much used in Palestine at that time and could be learned does not prove that a Jew whose mother tongue was Aramaic could normally write in literary Greek. Most of those who defend the thesis that James was written by the Lord's brother must assume that it achieved its linguistic form through the help of a Hellenistic Jew, but there is no evidence in the text that the assistance of a secretary gave shape to the present linguistic state of the document, and even if this were the case the question would still remain completely unanswered which part of the whole comes from the real author and which part from the "secretary."

2. It is scarcely conceivable that the Lord's brother, who remained faithful to the Law, could have spoken of "the perfect law of freedom" (1:25) or that he could have given concrete expression to the Law in ethical commands (2:11 f) without mentioning even implicitly any cultic-ritual requirements.

3. Would the brother of the Lord really omit any reference to Jesus and his relationship to him, even though the author of JAmes emphatically presents himself in an authoritative role?

4. The debate in 2:14 ff with a misunderstood secondary stage of Pauline theology not only presupposes a considerable chronological distance from Paul - whereas James died in the year 62 - but also betrays complete ignorance of the polemical intent of Pauline theology, which lapse can scarcely be attributed to James, who as late as 55/56 met with Paul in Jerusalem (Acts 21:18 ff).

5. As the history of the canon shows (see 27.2), it was only very slowly and against opposition that James became recognized as the owrk of the Lord's brother, therefore as apostolic and canonical. Thus there does not seem to have been any old tradition that it originated with the brother of the Lord.

The epistle of James shows the author had clearly never met any historical Jesus :

Now James was allegedly the BROTHER of Jesus,
so
we would expect his letter to be chock-full of personal details about Jesus.

Well,
guess what?

The letter of James only even MENTIONS the name "Jesus" twice in the whole letter.

It has NO personal details at all !
NOT one shred of historical information about Jesus can be found in the letter allegedly from a member of his FAMILY !

The person who wrote the letter of James had OBVIOUSLY never even HEARD of a historical Jesus.

Let examine the letter to see what I mean -

The ONLY 2 places in the whole document which use the name "Jesus" are here :

1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are in the Dispersion: Greetings.

The introduction of the letter, mentions he is a "servant" of God and of Lord Jesus Christ (ie. a typical faithful phrase invoking their highest names) - totally FAILS to mention he is brother to Jesus.

2:1 My brothers, don't hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ of glory with partiality.

Another faithful phrase telling us nothing about Jesus. No mention James is his brother.

What DON'T we see in James :

NO mention of Jesus' family at all - NO Mary or Joseph or siblings.
NO mention of the birth stories - NO Bethlehem, Nazareth, Magi, Herod, the flight...
NO mention of teachings Jesus - NO sermon, Lord's prayer, food regulations
NO mention of miracles - NO Lazarus, feeding the multitude, healing the sick...
NO mention of any Gospel event - NO Teaching at the Temple, Temple Cleansing, Triumphal Entry, Temptation, Baptism in Jordan etc, etc...
NO mention of the trial of Jesus - NO Pilate, Sanhedrin, Judas etc...
NO mention of the empty tomb, the crucifixion, the resurrection !!! hello?

I can not find a SINGLE PIECE of information "about Jesus" in the whole epistle of James.

From a person who was supposedly in Jesus' very family and probably would have experienced many of these events if they had really happened.

Even when expected

Even worse, if you do read James, there are many places where you would expect him to mention Jesus or his teaching -

Chapter 1 talks about resisting temptation - NO mention of the temptation of Jesus !

Chapter 2 starts like this in some versions - "do you .. really believe in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ?" (a different translation of the phrase which in the Greek goes something like this: "do not with partiality believe in Jesus Christ the glorious").

Here is James trying to convince them to believe in Jesus Christ, and he totally fails to even mention he knew Jesus, let alone was his brother - instead all he gives to try and prove Jesus is some preaching about the poor and the rich WITHOUT mentioning anything Jesus said about the poor.

James quotes "Love Thy Neighbour as Thyself" - but NOT from Jesus, just "scripture".

James preaches about adultery - NO mention of Jesus' teachings.

James argues that faith without works is useless - when he provides examples, it's from the OT - Abraham, Rahab - NO mention of Jesus.

James reminds people not to curse or speak evil - NO mention of Jesus' teachings on that.

James preaches about suffering and patience - NO mention of Jesus as example, just Job and the prophets.

James talks about the church elders bringing healing and forgiving sins - NO mention of Jesus doing that.

James even invokes Elijah who was a "human being like us" - NO mention of Jesus !

James never knew any Jesus

In dozens of places, James preaches something that CRIES out for a mention of Jesus or his teachings - but it looks like James has never even HEARD of Jesus of Nazareth - just the risen Christ, a spiritual being.

Note that James uses the phrase "my brothers (and sisters)" DOZENS of times - NOT the slightest hint that HE is the brother of Jesus anywhere in the letter.

There simply is NOTHING about Jesus in the letter of James to indicate the writter had ever even HEARD of a historical Jesus.

Iasion
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:48 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Setanta wrote:

According to Charles, he was an atheist like his father. Robert Darwin decided to send Charles off to Cambridge University for a degree in theology, after which he could purchase for him a "living" in an Anglican country church. There he could be a sportsman, a scholar, or an amateur naturalist, supported by a government stipend for life. Charles dutifully signed onto the Thirty-Nine Articles of the Church of England and entered Cambridge. He surely saw the hypocrisy in an atheist father's financing his son's preparation to be a minister of the gospel.

It was then that the opportunity to sail aboard the Beagle presented itself.

Do you care to provide a source for this? I've read Darwin's letter to his father in which he discusses his future prospects, including Beagle, and his father's reply. In short, if you don't provide a source, and one free of anti-evolution bias, i don't believe a word of this statement from authority. Now, of course, you can say the same for what i've written--but you have confirmed already that you understand that Darwin was educated for the clergy.

Trot out your Christian web site, Intrepid, and let's play.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:52 pm
lasion

Most sources place the book of James in that 45 - 50 AD period. Some sources have placed it a bit later.

Your source, Peter Kirby who is a student in California challenges these dates. Do you have any other verifiable source to back him up?
0 Replies