historicity of Jesus

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:52 am
Brendon!!!! God4Life!!!!! How wonderful to see you! What a blessing it is to see you here!

Hey everybody meet two more of my Christian friends, Brendon and God4Life.
0 Replies

Joykay

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:55 am
Hello Arella Mae......

God bless you.....Isnt He great? Hope you are well and enjoying God's wonderful blessings.

Blessings in His name....Joykay......
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:00 am
Joykay!

Wow! It's beginning to feel like old home week here for me! I am so glad you decided to join us! And yes, He is wonderful. Our God is an Awesome God! He Reigns!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:01 am
Eorl wrote:
Laughing Hello right flank and left flank re-inforcements !!

Don't worry Eorl, I told them you are one of the nicest people on A2K.
0 Replies

Kentucky Angel

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:10 am
Very Happy Hello Angel heart (MOMMA) God bless you and all who post her> You are my sister in Christ God loves you and is with you. Our almight God reigns, is a forgiving God, and his son Jesus Christ died for our sins that me may have life everlasting! God bless you all
Kentucky Angel
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:18 am
Hey Kentucky Angel! How nice of you to join us dear! As you can see, Angel Heart, Brendon, Joykay, and God4Life have already stopped by. What a blessing it is to have my friends with me!
0 Replies

lost lamb found

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:59 am
Arella Mae.....peace and joy my sister in Christ Jesus...talk to you later Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:02 am
Lost Lamb Found! You made it!!! How awesome to see you!!!! Hey Everyone, meet my friend, Lost Lamb Found. Laughing
0 Replies

Aussie Angel

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:09 am
An atheist from Mr and Mrs Average American's perspective Smile
G'day all, and most especially Arella Mae and Angel Heart Smile

Interesting read, some of the posts on this site...'tis for sure and certain Wink

Assuming naught though, for the sake of some... let's talk of alleged intellectual abstinence, atheists and Faith shall we?

My Webster's defines an atheist as "a person who believes there is no God." I've read far better elaborations in my time, but that one will suffice I reckon.

After all, how does one effectively describe another, who doesn't believe in something they say doesn't exist anyway? I mean is it rocket science to many, or just to atheists that 0+0 = 0?

Please excuse any semblance of cynicism on my part, but try as I might over the years, to listen carefully to the arguments and ad hominem attacks made by atheists I have encountered...I never did quite get that! For those who would potentially consider responding...some clarification please?

Correction expected, but in for a penny eh? Let's see... atheists don't believe in something they say doesn't exist? And that's makes you so different to a believer in God?

Please if you will, for the sake of rationality from your island of skepticism in a sea of religious conformity... explain? Please do tell me of the god you do not believe in, because it's very likely I don't believe in that god either Smile

To use the logic of atheism then, surely it would be that believers wouldn't believe in something they didn't believe exists either?

0+1 = 1 Smile

And for the record... neither would the majority of your fellow Americans...

Atheists are the "Most Distrusted Minority" in America
24Mar06

American's increasing acceptance of religious diversity doesn't extend to those who don't believe in a god, according to a national survey by researchers in the University of Minnesota's department of sociology.

From a telephone sampling of more than 2,000 households, university researchers found that Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in "sharing their vision of American society." Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry.

Even though atheists are few in number, not formally organized and relatively hard to publicly identify, they are seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public. "Atheists, who account for about 3 percent of the U.S. population, offer a glaring exception to the rule of increasing social tolerance over the last 30 years," says Penny Edgell, associate sociology professor and the study's lead researcher.

http://www.shamis.de/atheists-are-the-most-distrusted-minority-in-america/

Perhaps though, it's best left alone for fear of offending others? Especially the likes of poor Kamil, the resident rocket scientist responder detailed below Smile

One Response to:

"Atheists are the "Most Distrusted Minority" in America"

1 Kamil on Mar 24th, 2006 said:

So because atheists aren't as easily fooled in believing folklore/religion/lies they are to be less trusted? I thought rational people were MORE trusted?

Gee whizz Kamil, I'm not sure not quite sure hot to this mate... but perhaps you can think about this just for a heartbeat?

Rational people ARE more trusted...

Blessings all Smile

Aussie Angel...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:11 am
Aussie Angel! Girl, am I happy to see you and you have jumped right into the midst of things! Looking forward to seeing many, many, many more posts by you and the others!
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:51 am
Welcome everyone.

Aussie, your argument is that the "lowest common denominator" is right, by sheer weight of numbers? Flat earth anyone? You also touched on the point that you actively disbelieve in many, many other gods, some of which are the gods of churches almost (but not quite) the same as yours....but you don't mind the contradiction there?)

(BTW, If you are in Australia, the numbers are much different as you are well aware.)

This is not actually the thread for a blatant attack on atheists (or on christians), but rather on Jesus and the facts (or not) of his actual existence. Do you have anything valuable to add to the discussion or not?

I, for one, think it likely he did exist. (Although I find it extremely unlikely any gods ever have.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:43 am
Feeling put upon, and without argument of substance, one of our number has cried out to the herd for reinforcements. We're in for a tedious bout of preaching, proselytizing, and parroting, by all appearances - one might think the member responsible for the cattle call would have learned from prior experience the silliness of such a dishonest ploy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:50 am
A thumper gathering? This is going to be interesting.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:50 am
Nothing dishonest about it - she hasn't tried to hide the fact that she needed help, and asked for it. They wouldn't have any reason to come here this time, except Arella keeps taking an unprovoked beating from all you wolrdly wise types.

Timberland, don't you think its strange that no one but men (and Lash) on A2K attack Arella? Do you think there's any method to the reasoning that keeps the women from joining in the pecking parties?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:51 am
There is definitely evidence that a Jesus existed.

Somewhere in India, there is a tomb for a wiseman called Issa (which happens to be an Arabic name for Jesus). He is buried in the traditional Jewish orientation and had moulds made of his feet, which show scars as if they had been nailed in the fashion of a person whom has been nailed to a cross.

Whether this is the same Jesus as the one in the Bible is not clear.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:53 am
Arella Mae wrote:
Do I want to be an atheist? Pardon the expression but not only no but hell no! And I say that only because the majority of atheists I run across seem to think it's ok to act like total jackasses because they don't believe in God. So, for that reason alone I want to believe.

Thumpers are not typically adverse to being jackasses either, AM.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:56 am
Setanta wrote:

Thomas Jefferson, of whom i am definitely not an admirer, always objected to the larding of historical inaccuracy, of fantasy, of other sectarian sources onto the story embodied in the gospels. He wrote to John Adams in 1813:

"In extracting the pure principles which he taught, we should have to strip off the artificial vestments in which they have been muffled by priests, who have travestied them into various forms, as instruments of riches and power to themselves. We must dismiss the Platonists and Plotinists, the Stagyrites and Gamalielites, the Eclectics, the Gnostics and Scholastics, their essences and emanations, their logos and demiurgos, aeons and daemons, male and female, with a long train of … or, shall I say at once, of nonsense. We must reduce our volume to the simple evangelists, select, even from them, the very words only of Jesus, paring off the amphibologisms into which they have been led, by forgetting often, or not understanding, what had fallen from him, by giving their own misconceptions as his dicta, and expressing unintelligibly for others what they had not understood themselves. There will be found remaining the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man. I have performed this operation for my own use, by cutting verse by verse out of the printed book, and arranging the matter which is evidently his, and which is as easily distinguishable as diamonds in a dunghill."

Therefore, Jefferson sought to write an edited vesion of the gospels which was free of all the claptrap. I highly recommend to anyone professing to be a Christian that they read what is commonly called The Jefferson Bible. Personally, i think he remained to gullible about the text, but nevertheless, he sought the essence of the message--and it is a worthy message.

I agree, completely.
0 Replies

Angel Heart

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:56 am
I want to Say Good Morning To All In Here.May You Have A Blessed Day And Be A Blessing To Someone..God Bless..
The LORD is my light and my salvation

The LORD is my light and my salvation--
so why should I be afraid?
The LORD protects me from danger--
so why should I tremble?

When evil people come to destroy me,
when my enemies and foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.

Though a mighty army surrounds me,
my heart will know no fear.
Even if they attack me,
I remain confident.

The one thing I ask of the LORD--
the thing I seek most--
is to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
delighting in the LORD's perfections
and meditating in his Temple.

Psalm 27:1-4
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:57 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
There is definitely evidence that a Jesus existed.

Somewhere in India, there is a tomb for a wiseman called Issa (which happens to be an Arabic name for Jesus). He is buried in the traditional Jewish orientation and had moulds made of his feet, which show scars as if they had been nailed in the fashion of a person whom has been nailed to a cross.

Whether this is the same Jesus as the one in the Bible is not clear.

Maybe there were a lot of Jesuses getting nailed to crosses back in them days.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:03 am
snood wrote:
Nothing dishonest about it - she hasn't tried to hide the fact that she needed help, and asked for it.

The dishonesty lies in the concept of the call, snood, not in the manner of its issuance.

Quote:
They wouldn't have any reason to come here this time, except Arella keeps taking an unprovoked beating from all you wolrdly wise types.

Nonsense - nobody has been beating on anyone. Some, however, are neither able to separate themselves from their positions, nor able to make a coherent case for the positions they espouse. More of the same is but more of the same; inanity is rendered no less inane for there being an increase of it. I expect nothing else from the troops our defenseless freind has marshalled to her support.

Quote:
Timberland, don't you think its strange that no one but men (and Lash) on A2K attack Arella? Do you think there's any method to the reasoning that keeps the women from joining in the pecking parties?

No, not at all. I certainly don't. Are you implying that skeptical criticism might be misogynistic, and/or that the gentler gender might be predisposed to delusion? How unchivalrous of you.
0 Replies