The Atkins Diet-Anyone have Experience With It?

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:59 am
Sorry- No nuts during induction.

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html
0 Replies

mobsta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:01 am
phoenix , what was the Modified approach you took to Atkins?? How did your some lose so much weight??
0 Replies

mobsta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:02 am
Son not some , sorry
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:56 am
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/14-373858.html

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/26-830229.html

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:16 pm
Well, a quarter cup of smoked almonds has like six grams of carbs and four grams of fiber. So 2 carbs equivalent. I love almonds.
0 Replies

mobsta

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 08:26 am
but that is not in induction phase, cant wait to move on, I can have DECAFFINATED coffee with Splenda cant I???

today had Scrambled eggs for breakfast
lunch 2 fried eggs 3 sausages and 2 rashers bacon
and about 2 liters of water.

thinking what to do for dinner!!??
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 09:29 am
brocoli and cauliflower w/cheese sauce
3/4 lb broiled hamburger
0 Replies

mobsta

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:32 am
Home made cheese sauce?? I thought you had to be careful about Sauces?? If its homemade , how u do it?? Thanks for all your help
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 11:39 am
I use velveta cheese, with butter and sour cream - nuked and blended (I just stir). UMmmmm-ummmmmmm!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 12:25 pm
To all those that believe the Atkins Diet is a sham:
Read the book. Only in the initial stage are you expected to be a pure carnivore. Every person has there own set amount of carbs their bodies can process before they start putting on weight. I peaked out a 195 and was never terribly fat... but I am much happier and healthier at 165 (where I am now). The only permanent change required in my diet was Wine instead of beer, Dannon Water instead of Sprite, and I stopped buying Ice-Cream altogether. That's it. (I don't hesitate to have anything I want... I just don't make a habit of sweets). Some people will have to eliminate a few more carbs in their daily intake, but it is a truly rare person who would have to continue with nothing but meat etc. to maintain their weight loss. It has worked for everyone I know who's tried it, and the only people who put the weight back on are those who CHOOSE to go back to being sugar burning machines. Good Luck all, Peace out.

Edit= I spell and type equally poor.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 12:38 pm
I heard a doctor say that a third of all diabetes cases are linked to drinking pop. I've been following a modifies version of this diet. I never did the induction phase but I have lost weight, don't know how much - cause I don't own a scale, but all my clothes are loose. Yeah me!!!
I've cut out most of the sugar, flour and corn from my diet but I have a questions about honey and rice. Are they allowed, dis/encouraged?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 12:49 pm
Honey is better than sugar, honey. But I'd use it in moderation. Rice= Pasta, Potatoes... Starch. Avoid Sugar first, Starch second... at a rate you are content with. Once you reach a size you are happy with you slowly start adding starch back into your diet until you figure out your personal threshold for carbs. For me it was simple. I just nixed a couple bad habits and I was done.

According to Atkins; most diabetes symptoms all but disappear on a low carb diet. It is more difficult for the body to convert protein to energy (than simple sugars). Hence; blood sugar levels stabilize as a bonus.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:17 pm
Wow, lotsa Atkins folks here!

I started Atkins when the Lovely Bride decided to do it (thus making a virtue of necessity). At that time I had lost ten pounds over the previous month while recovering from a smashed wrist and subsequent surgery (note: not a recommended way to lose weight!). I figured that perhaps the Atkins could help keep the weight off.

Well, I managed to lose another ten over next two months. But I also follow a "modified" version. This is not out off any concern for nutrition; I just have weakness for bad food (especially if the Lovely Bride is not around) and periodically fall off the wagon.

One good thing about the diet is that it has made me more conscious of sugar and white flour.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:23 pm
Hey soccerGeorge, I'm getting my USSF level 8 training in a week so I can ref. That combined with a low carb diet and my regular workouts should take some weight off eh?

(when I'm not wearing the bullet proof vest Wink.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:34 pm
A cautionary tale for soccer refs:
BBC Sport

A referee caused uproar during a football match when he pulled out a pair of red knickers instead of his red card.

Carlos Jose Figueira Ferro was attempting to send off a player during a game in Brazil when he made the faux pas.

Even worse, Ferro's wife was at the game - and didn't recognise the lacy lingerie.

The embarrassed official ended the game 20 minutes early and afterwards insisted he didn't know where the knickers had come from.

By that time his wife was reportedly on the phone to her lawyer.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 08:31 pm
OCCOM - Braums makes a wonderful less carb ice cream (very less) and it is good!!!!!!!
0 Replies

mobsta

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 05:09 am
Vitamins to take
I see that it is recommended to take a multivitamin while doing Atkins but one Without IRON??

Is that correct and are there multivitamins out there WITHOUT iron?? I have one already but it has iron so I havent been taking that.

Mobsta
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 05:25 am
Thanks BillW... I'm taking note of that for next time I decide I want some... but I think I'm over it. Good Lookin Out!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:14 am
mobsta, "without iron" is a Dr Atkins thing. Doesn't help you lose weight. Dr Atkins first and foremost is a vitamin junky. I found a few without iron, then just when to my regular multi vitamin. Dr Atkin's contention is that iron builds up in the body and we can't get rid of it efficiencently - I forget what problem this is suppose to cause.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:09 am
The problem with iron is that is causes is constipation. A low carb diet can exacerbate this.
0 Replies