The Atkins Diet-Anyone have Experience With It?

willow tl

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 12:54 pm
Hello BillW and all...just so i can add my 2cents..i have lost over 90lbs since jan. on the Atkins diet..But you are correct Bill it is a lifestyle change not a true diet...It saved my life and no other diet has been as easy for me to follow...my medical profile has improved as well..I no longer have to take diabetic medication (type 2)...It is not for everyone..but then what is?...It saved my life...that is what matters to me!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 01:35 pm
A version of Atkins is also successfully treating/preventing seizures in epilectic patients. My nephew is one of them. Nothing has worked as well as his low-carb diet.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 01:37 pm
I know that high fat diets have been used to treat epileptic seizures in young patients as well.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 01:40 pm
The kid eats chunks of butter.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 10:12 am
cjhsa wrote:
A version of Atkins is also successfully treating/preventing seizures in epilectic patients. My nephew is one of them. Nothing has worked as well as his low-carb diet.

Ketogenic diets have been used longer than the Atkins diet has been marketed. So it's not really a "version of the Atklins diet" .

I'm not quite certain how people can sustain it initially. I'm not a big fan of hitting the off switch in my brain until it settles into it's new mode of 'transport' so to speak.

But then I don't work for the gov't either. hah.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:34 pm
That is true. I am now trying the Scarsdale diet = there is a support web page with a shopping list and menu for each day, which is precisely what i need - i only buy what i can eat and all else is forbidden. it is a 'healthier' Atkins kind of a diet, also aims at ketosis, but it is mostly veggies and fruit, whole wheat bread, fish. looks quite painful, but as it does involve meat, it is doable. highly recommended from i.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:22 pm
Dagmaraka,

You might take another look at the Atkins lifestyle, especially the Atkins for Life plan. What you describe is exactly what I am following on the Atkins for Life plan.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 11:00 pm
The Atkins diet is actually really healthy, however, it also has the possibility of become exceedingly unhealthy if you don't go about it just the right way (like any diet, I suppose). My dad is on the Atkins diet, more or less, and so I switch to it when I go home, because that's all that's in the fridge. It feels a lot healthier, gives me a ton more energy, and best of all, fills me up with a lot less food, which is the important thing, monetarily speaking.

The problem with the Atkins diet is that people just think it means eating only red meat and no carbs. Not so. You need some carbs, or else you lose a lot of energy and also that's REALLY unhealthy. People who go on no-carbs diets can't walk after a week. On the Atkins diet however, you can eat carbs, just not much of them, and only provided that they contain fiber - carbs that are in green vegatables, mainly. Also, it's not red meat or even just meat in general that you're allowed to eat - but lean meat. No sausage, no bacon. Stuff like chicken or turkey breast (white meat) and fish (yes, that's meat). Fish has actually been shown to be really good for your heart in terms of cholesterol. Vegatable protein is also not discouraged at all.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 02:33 pm
Yup, Scarsdale and Atkins are essentially the same, except Scarsdale does not allow the high fat stuff that Atkins allows for. And it includes the complex carbs - whole wheet toasted bread and such. The nice thing about it is that there is a large free support web site with Scarsdale with a menu for every day and a shopping list and millions of other links, which I wasn't able to find for free with Atkins. otherwise, no difference. both low carb diets that do the trick through ketosis.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 02:38 pm
hm, rufio, i have been on no carb diet for a month, and i could walk just fine. in fact, as you describe, i felt lot more energetic than before. I don't think it's the 'loss of energy' that is dangerous - for me that just didn't happen at all, but that ketosis is dangerous for kidneys when you do it longterm; for they have to process different chemicals and work extra hard. That's why it is especially not recommended for older people or people with health complications.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 02:33 pm
Had a special weekend, so I cheated a little - had fried catfish, a bloomin' onion, a few potatoes at one meal, a glass of cranberry juice, some other questionable items - weigh in two pounds less this morning. Three meals a day, all heavy, rich and robust - like this diet Cool
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 09:11 am
Great news for all us low carb folks!

Heinz is working on new low carb ketchup. My only question is what will it be sweetened with? I'm hoping it isn't aspartame, I seem to have a bad reaction to that sweetener substitute.

October 3, 2003

Heinz Ketchup Announces "One Carb" Ketchup

Building on its portfolio of ketchup products that deliver against emerging lifestyle needs of certain consumer segments, Heinz will launch a lower carbohydrate ketchup. Heinz One Carb Ketchup is designed for consumers who wish to moderate their carbohydrate intake without having to compromise on taste.

Comparable in taste to the brand's thick, rich original variety, Heinz's lower carb ketchup will contain one gram of carbohydrates per serving - 75 percent fewer carbs than traditional Heinz Ketchup. Along with Heinz's No Salt Added Ketchup and Organic Ketchup, the new lower carb variety provides loyal Heinz consumers with yet another choice to meet their particular lifestyle needs.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 10:44 am
Butrflynet- Thanks for the info. Seems like this whole "low carb" thing is really taking off. Just in the time that I have been eating that way (May) I am seeing more and more items on my super market shelves.

I have one gripe though. At Sam's Club, you can buy the Atkin's Advantage Low carb bars- 15 bars for about $24-. They have a number of flavor selections..................all some form of chocolate, which gives me a headache! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 02:46 am
For all my low-carb buddies, Amazon.com is beta testing a new gormet food store and one of the departments is low-carb food. You can find a link to the store in the left hand column on the Your Store page and then a link to the low-carb department.

Haven't compared the prices to anything else yet. They look a little high, but I haven't purchased that much processed low-carb food so am probably not the best to ask for price comparisons.

Would love to hear opinions from anyone else who is familiar with the stuff.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 03:44 am
Butrflynet- Thanks for the info. Have to check it out. In general, I have found that the Atkins stuff is a bit pricey, so I have been using the EAS products (shakes and bars). EAS lo carb stuff seems to be similar nutritionally as Atkins.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 04:56 pm
Had some low-carb jellybeans that were pretty good, try them Phoenix...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:02 pm
BillW- If you can develop and market low-carb jelly beans, I will go partners with you! Laughing
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:10 pm
Phoenix,

They are made by Russell Stover, $1.65 for 3.5 oz. They are comparable to Jelly Bellies and have 36g of carbs with 32 of those grams as Sugar Alcohol which is not absorbed by the body - in fact, it is noted as a great laxative (if you want to look at it that way Smile ). Try'em.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:28 pm
BillW-Thanks- I think that I will remember you in my will! :wink:
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:01 am
Smile
0 Replies