The Atkins Diet-Anyone have Experience With It?

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 03:59 am
I heard this was bogus and i read about it too i heard it's really bad for women.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 02:45 pm
I'm interested in the information, MisterE. I follow the Atkins lifestyle and would like to read what you refer to. Do you have any links to the articles?
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:14 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Great news for all us low carb folks!
Building on its portfolio of ketchup products that deliver against emerging lifestyle needs of certain consumer segments, Heinz will launch a lower carbohydrate ketchup. Heinz One Carb Ketchup is designed for consumers who wish to moderate their carbohydrate intake without having to compromise on taste.

Not good. Not good at all. Catsup must remain . . . ketchup.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 05:18 pm
Ketchup is one product I really do not miss..........
0 Replies

ALE

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:00 am
ATKINS ADVANTAGE BARS
has anyone tried atkins advantage bars? Is it just me or are they addictive and interfere with weight loss in Induction stage? I was in ketosis for a few days and then came across those chocks, next day I fell out of ketosis and can't get back in?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 01:25 pm
Hey guys, I'd like to sell you a bridge... And it will help you loose weight.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 09:12 am
Opinion v fact, hmmmmmmmmmmm.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 11:57 am
I tried atkins yesterday for lunch and did not lose any weight. In fact when I weighed myself after eating I found that I had gained almost a pound from my pre-lunch weight.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:04 pm
Mmmmmmmmmmm. Steak!

Signed,

Homer Simpson
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 01:58 pm
BillW wrote:
Opinion v fact, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I gave you the facts earlier on. Atkins is a bad idea and "modified atkins" makes sense, it's a new version of an old diet (which you wouldn't have had to pay for.) Cutting carbs (but not fiber!) is a good idea, it's an unhealthy diet filler and can help lead to diabetes. Now if you're taking the unmodified atkins (which I went over how it worked earlier) there haven't been long term studies. It works in short term the same way the drinking olive oil diet does (greased tube), and olive oil is a lot healthier than butter. But like I said, you're the ones paying for it.

Did I mention that my bridge also eliminates wrinkles?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:03 pm
Portal Star,

Upon what basis do you declare it a "bad idea"?

This should an interesting bit of opinion largely devoid of fact. Not even the critics of the diet have solid facts and they are stuck on a "we don't know the long-term ramifications yet" argument.

If you have facts that the Atkins critics don't I am all ears. ;-)

You might want to get the facts straight about Atkins and fiber first, I don't study them but even I know that is not factual.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 12:18 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Portal Star,

Upon what basis do you declare it a "bad idea"?

This should an interesting bit of opinion largely devoid of fact. Not even the critics of the diet have solid facts and they are stuck on a "we don't know the long-term ramifications yet" argument.

If you have facts that the Atkins critics don't I am all ears. ;-)

You might want to get the facts straight about Atkins and fiber first, I don't study them but even I know that is not factual.

I took a physiology class in which the teacher explained how it worked and why he was against it. I went over it earlier in the thread, so if you read my posts from earlier in the thread you will see. Slappy Doo Hoo also made some good points.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 12:51 am
Hmm, I don't want to read this whole thread, but the diet has many drawbacks, any weight loss diet will.

What it does do is help lose weight. Sure it's not healthy, heck they even recommend taking vitamins.

In what you said earlier was there any criticism of it's ability to help with weight loss?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 10:28 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Hmm, I don't want to read this whole thread, but the diet has many drawbacks, any weight loss diet will.

What it does do is help lose weight. Sure it's not healthy, heck they even recommend taking vitamins.

In what you said earlier was there any criticism of it's ability to help with weight loss?

No, it does help you lose weight in the short term (no long term tests). I talked about the negative health implications, the fact that it's based on previous (healthier) diets, and the physiology of why it/they work. I am glad to hear that most people on here are on a "modified" atkins, which is sort of like a celiac diet. It bothers me that so many people are paying lots of money for the latest fad. It also bothers me that they aren't concerned with -why- it works (physiologically, what it is doing to their bodies in order to work.)

I'll summarize the major points:

1. you get sick of eating greasy, fatty things all the time, so you eat less.
2. like the olive oil diet, you turn your body into a "greased tube" - all of
the oil prevents absorbtion, and most of it goes right through you.
3. Carbohydrates -are- bad for you, except fiber which is a neccesary part
of your digestive system (beans, granola, etc...)
4. Protein is a mild diuretic, and in large amounts it exits the body.

If you chose this diet, I encourage cutting carbs (But think being afraid of a Ketchup condiment is a little extreme.) The olive oil diet sounds much healthier to me than butter because olive oil reduces your (goodness, was it saturated fats or cholestorol? I forget. It's still not great for you, but it's better than the other food lipids out there.) If you're going to be eating that much protein and unhealthy fat, please take your vitamins (did I mention that for all bread's faults, it's usually made with enriched flour?) And for christ's sakes, exercise.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 10:56 am
Ok, as long as we agree that it's effective at short term weight loss we are in agreement, there are a host of other flaws, namely that it's simply not healthy.

Now about short term weight loss I have a bone to pick with it.

I don't really want to lose weight but I wanted to try this diet out.

So I weighed myself before lunch and followed this Atkins diet throughout my entire lunch hour.

I weighed myself afterwards and found that I had actually gained almost a pound!

Just a word of warning.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:07 am
Craven, the next time you try that, hit the crapper before the second weigh-in.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 01:24 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Ok, as long as we agree that it's effective at short term weight loss we are in agreement, there are a host of other flaws, namely that it's simply not healthy.

Now about short term weight loss I have a bone to pick with it.

I don't really want to lose weight but I wanted to try this diet out.

So I weighed myself before lunch and followed this Atkins diet throughout my entire lunch hour.

I weighed myself afterwards and found that I had actually gained almost a pound!

Just a word of warning.

well, I think it would take more than just a luch to know its effect on your body. Maybe you were just wanting an excuse to gorge on steak Smile. Why don't you try eating healthy and exercising? Oh, wait, that would take work :wink:.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 01:28 pm
Portal, where the heck do you get your information about me?

Seriously, I've been letting them go as they seem to be jokes but you consistently assume things about me that are not true.

My diet and health is just fine, I do not need to lose any weight and I get all the exercise that I need. Rolling Eyes

Sheesh, the body of a greek god and tubby over here (<< reciprocal unfounded assumption) says I need exercise. Laughing
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 01:32 pm
I do need more exercise, I'm signing myself up for a martial arts class, and last semester I took swing dance Smile. Could stand to loose about 20 lbs. and get stronger. But I'm in pretty decent shape. I have youth on my side and not having a car makes me walk everywhere.

My assumption was based on the fact that you were attempting to loose weight by gorging at lunch. But my appologies to your greek godliness (dionysus was a g-d, wasn't he?) hee hee hee...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 01:54 pm
Yeah but I said "I don't really want to lose weight but I wanted to try this diet out" in the very same post you cite....

I've got youth on my side as well, prolly won't need to worry about diet at least till I reach puberty.
0 Replies