The Atkins Diet-Anyone have Experience With It?

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 08:48 am
I have been on practically every diet known to mankind- except the Atkins. It had gotten bad press up until recently. I have lately seen articles stating that the Atkins Diet has been shown in studies to lower "bad" cholesterol.

On top of this, my son has been on this diet, and has lost 34 pounds in 16 weeks. He loves it, but tells me that it is a difficult diet to keep if you are not a real meat lover. ( I am, but I had avoided red meat lately)

I have decided to give the Atkins Diet a try. I will not follow it to the letter, as I believe that people need some carbohydrates in order to remain healthy. Years ago, when I was a teenager, low carbohydrate, high protein diets were standard. Over the years, there seems to have been a shift, with lower protein higher carb diets gaining favor.

Have any of you had experience with the Atkins Diet, and what were the results?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,423 • Replies: 136
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 08:53 am
Jane Brody just had a really disparaging article on it. She was saying that basically, if you want to lose 10 pounds for your wedding, go for it, but you'll have gained it back in couple of months. 5-7 pounds of what you lose at the beginning is just water, and if you're not totally strict, you won't even lose that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/27/health/nutrition/27BROD.html
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:09 am
My experience has been that Atkins is good for rapid weight loss, but not a good long-term plan for a healthy diet. Jane Brody annoys me (we had to read her nutrition book in chefs school) but her research is sound. I am not an expert, but I have found that a balanced diet is best, and eat smaller protions if you are not all that physically active. I don't obsess about calorie counting, but I do eat way less than I used to. The Atkins diet really aggravated my acid reflux, and the results for me were not stellar in terms of weight loss, due to a hereditary sluggish metabolism. I lost 20 lbs. on a diet of my own choosing, just eating less, and cutting out white flour and sugar. All my carbs were complex, and I developed a big taste for sprouted grain breads made without flour, especially Ezekiel bread.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:10 am
Also, the cholesterol studies are still really theoretical at this point, I wouldn't put much faith in them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 11:27 am
My son and daughter-in-law (and three members of d-i-l's family) have all lost considerable weight (30 to 50 pounds and counting) on the Atkins diet.

When my carnivorous son was visiting last summer I asked him whether he felt like a Might Hunter. He thought for a moment and said, "No. More like a cowardly scavenger."

WARNING: Until your digestive system adjusts to the high fat diet, constipation is a major problem. You should definitely take supplemental vitamins. Exercise should be part of your regimen. (Unless you'd like to donate your extra flabby skin for burn patients).

I have a hunch that the Atkin's diet (in its purest form) might be most palatable in the winter when fresh fruits and vegetables--especially fresh fruits--are not temptingly available. Of course, I live in a "normal" climate with a proper winter. You live in Florida.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 01:37 pm
well, I undersand that you have tried everything but i suggest that you do not try Atkins because my parents have been on it. It's been about 8 months or so and they have been gaining the wieght there trying to start another diet but I believe that the only way to loose wieght and keep it off is to eat properly and to go to gym or involve you're self in activitys thats my opinion.
0 Replies

xenophile

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 09:55 pm
Atkins diet and Brodie
There is a LOT of misinformation on all aspects of dieting and on the Atkins in particular -- as might be expected from an unconventional approach. For example, most of the information on cholesterol is known to be false -- cholesterol is neither associated with heart disease nor -- even more to the point -- is high blood cholesterol associated with eating foods with high cholesterol. See Ravnskov: The Cholesterol Myths
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0967089719/qid=1060667548/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2003083-0692843?v=glance&s=books . Brodie is stuck in the old news.

There is one serious defect in the Atkins that does not get enough press. I know two people -- and now myself -- who lost a lot of weight and enjoyed the Atkins diet, but had to stop because of serious chronic constipation. I had never had a day of constipation in 30 years and now must get off the Atkins to survive. That is a real endictiment from a fan --and I know I am not the only one. Don't believe the statement that it only occurs in the first few days of the inducation phase. I have had no problem until my third month on the diet and have done all the things recommended in the Atkins book but I am sad to say that nothing worked.
So I am back to hi fiber fruits and vegetables -- but will keep staying off bread, potatoes, sugar, and junk food like chips.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 10:04 pm
A few people at work have done the Atkins in the past year. They all lost weight, and then they all regained the lost weight plus about 15 - 20 % when they returned to their previous eating habits. I was warned off it by my doctor, as I have a tendency toward kidney problems, and the Atkins is said to be postively correlated with kidney problems as a result of the high levels of ketones caused by strict adherence to the Atkins. I spoke to someone else about it, who said they never recovered from the fatigue caused by the Atkins. I know that there are a number of women on this site who swear by it. I'd proceed with a balanced diet, exercise, and recognition of your own best weight - which changes with age and varying health conditions.

I do know that a 'modified' Atkins is not 'supposed' to work. ivillage.com has some good info on a wide range of diets - pros and cons. I've picked up some great tips there - and the real-life feedback you get there is good.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:12 am
I have lost about 18 lbs. on a "modified" Atkins. Just to make sure, I took a blood test for lipids, and the numbers were astounding. Had a trygliceride rating of 65 (under 150 is normal).

I am sometimes a bit constipated, but nothing that is too serious. I have a lot more energy, and am going for a power walk as soon as I finish looking at A2K.

My son lost over 50 lbs. and has become a workout freak, from a couch potato!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:32 am
Congratulations, Phoenix.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:34 am
Noddy24- Thanks! One of the things that motivates me IS my son. He is so involved with the changes that are happening to him that we are on the phone talking about it all the time. I find that HIS enthusiasm spurs me on.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 08:56 am
Solitary dieting is one of the loneliest activities known to womankind. Isn't your son diabetic? Dieting must be even harder for him--and I'm sure he values your support.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 08:59 am
Noddy24- No he isn't diabetic, but he is hypertensive. I think that the support has become a mutual thing. When he talks about how he powerwalked in the hills (he lives in a very hilly area in New Jersey), the next thing that I know, I want to get out and MOVE! (But there are no deer to watch here like he has! Crying or Very sad )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:01 am
That's great about your son! Could the "workout freak" part be more the point than Atkins per se, though? Kinda like stone soup, with Atkins being the stone and working out being the veggies, meat, spices, etc...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:05 am
soz- I definitely think that the workout is making a HUGE difference with him. But he had to lose a good part of the weight first to be able to work at the level that he is exercising.

The same goes for me. The lighter that I get, the harder that I can work out. I was "into" the gym 15 years ago, so I know what to do, and that is an advantage!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:07 am
I guess that makes sense as a one-two plan, then. Everything I've read about Atkins is that it "works" short term, but not long term; so if it's just an entree into serious workouts that will keep the pounds off (not the diet), I can see how that would work.

Why stay on it once the serious and consistent workout phase is reached, though?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:38 am
Phonix, I am on Atkins also! Since beginning of June, then I took a break, now am on it again. Lost 15 pounds so far in those few weeks and I never felt better, or more energetic for that matter. I eat much less and don't feel hungry ever. I do vegetables and meat, which for me is absolutely perfect combination. I don't do high fat, only lean meat, fish, chicken and such, thus it turns out to be a pretty healthy menu. I probably overdo the veggies and fruits (they all have carbs), but it does work anyway (I call my version the Yatkins diet). It is the only diet I was ever able to cohabitate with, and happily so, may I add. Yay for Yatkins!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:45 am
Soz- The diet seems to sit very well with me. I don't feel deprived, and my blood lipids have improved tremendously. (How can you feel deprived when you are throwing sour cream over everything??? Laughing )

I have to see what develops. I still have more weight to lose, but at least now I am in the "realm of the reasonable" where I feel relatively comfortable with my body.

One of the things that I am trying to do is lower my blood sugar (I am boderline diabetic) and my blood pressure. I have stopped taking my pressure medication, and check the pressure every day. It seems to be holding at a reasonable level.

I am not one of those "true believers" who stubbornly stick to one thing after it has outlived its usefulness. If it keeps on working for me, great. If problems arise, I will find something else to do. In the meantime, I am more than happy with the results!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 03:26 pm
The problem with everyone's view of Atkins is that they only focus on the Induction period of the diet. There is much more to it then that. There are actually three phases. You gradually add back carbs and portion size until you are no longer losing, just maintaining your weight. The latest book, Atkins for Life explains how to do it and has hundreds of recipes.

If you stop following the concept and go back to old eating habits, of course you'll gain weight back. Conversely, if you exploit/abuse the induction period as a quick way to lose weight, without doctor supervision, your body will feel the effects. The induction period is only meant to be strictly followed for 2 weeks. Then you merge into a slightly higher level of carbs, protein and fats until you are within 10 pounds of your goal and then merge to an even higher level of carbs to slow down your weight loss, adding more carbs back in until you reach the point of maintenance.

I'm not strictly following Atkins but have drastically reduced the amount of white flour, sugar and carbs in my diet and can't believe the difference in the way I feel. You can avoid the constipation by picking specific foods to eat and by ensuring your intake of water is up to par and that you have a sufficient level of fats in your diet. Almonds, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, lettuce, spinach, coleslaw, avocado, chicken, salmon, ground steak, porkchops, eggs, cheese, yogurt, real butter, oatmeal, and berries of all kinds are just some of the foods I'm eating. Heh, there are some days when constipation is the last word I'd use to describe my bodily functions.
Shocked Embarrassed
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:10 pm
Been on Atkins since June 1 - lost 35 lbs and reshaped the body. Primary reason I'm on the diet - blood pressure and cholestrol reduction - which works. I look on it as a life style and not a diet!
0 Replies