Political Correctness: Make a Judgment

Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 05:14 pm
Lash wrote:
There is no negative connotation intended toward you in my remarks (just to make sure you know.)

You know, it really offends me how you always point that out. As if we Krauts are some kind of drooling idiots who don't understand your words if you don't explain them to us! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 06:07 pm
I've been described as tonally challenged. I point out my desire not to offend on a semi-regular basis.

No offense intended, natch.... Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 12:35 pm
Depositing a story here to watch for development.

Clemson University allegedly "mocks" blacks during MLK party.

This may be rude, poor mannered and racist (specifics aren't in, so I haven't decided what I think of it)--but can you--should you-- affect a negative consequence through status as a student in response? Is that overstepping? A hyper-correction?

Today in class, a German acquaintance really opened some intense conversation. The guys sitting in front of me had been discussing one's trip to see Hitler's Eagle's Nest. My German friend (call her Sarah) went ...off. She castigated the guys for being interested in....buildings...and put them down for their interest in such things. I reminded her Hitler was a historical figure and the building was of great interest... She started calming down--I think the discussion took an unexpected turn for her--and I questioned her about why she was so defensive. She said she had to spend "years" in classes that piled a national guilt on all Germans, and when I shared with her my opinion that Germany had gone too far in beating healthy patriotism down in Germans--she emphatically agreed. She told a story of a German who was in a tank (for reasons a bit unclear to me because of her dialect (accent?) and met a Polish citizen. The Pole asked the German what he was doing in a tank, and the German (kidding) said "We're back!" She said he got ten years for that bit of "insensitive" levity.

I was quite sad for her--that she became so sensitive about interest in Hitler. She also decried Brit and US channels that show so many Hitler documentaries. The class was rolling their eyes about her statements. It really seemed as if she was angry that Hitler hasn't been washed from historical records and conversation.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:34 pm
lash wrote :
Quote:
She told a story of a German who was in a tank (for reasons a bit unclear to me because of her dialect (accent?) and met a Polish citizen. The Pole asked the German what he was doing in a tank, and the German (kidding) said "We're back!" She said he got ten years for that bit of "insensitive" levity.

if i understand this correctly , a german (soldier - who else could be in a tank ?) was sentenced to ten years in prison for "insensitive" levity ?

i doubt that the german was sent to prison for ten years - very much !
i would be interested to know where that story originated from and when it took place .
hbg
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:43 pm
Hbg--

I want to know more about it, as well. I'll see if I can think of a way to ask her about more details in class on Friday--(without making her mad or starting another upsetting (for her) conversation about the subject.

I'll report back.

She's only 20. I don't know how accurately she separates urban legend from fact. We'll see. :wink:
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:44 pm
Hey Lash - check out my question for you on the Obama thread...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 04:48 pm
msnbc's survey to check if we are up on the latest news.

6. Sen. Joe Biden made headlines twice this past week - the first in announcing that is running for president in 2008, the other for remarks he made about fellow presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama. What was the quote that got Biden in trouble, and for which he later apologized?

"You know, this guy's been here in the Senate just a couple of years and he thinks he can become president. I'd say he's a bit uppity."

"That Obama guy is really good-looking. But, hey, have you seen his wife? She's a real looker!"

"I mean, you've got the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

"Look, I've been knocking around Washington for a long time, and I know that a black man doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of becoming president."

Had to bring them.

Laughing

Guess it could have been worse.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 05:55 pm
http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/2007/03/mccain-apologizes-after-using-phrase.html

Maybe it gains me back some cool points with some folks to say that yes, I think its a stupid idea that McCain should have apologized (as he did).
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 04:42 am
I don't see why you even want "cool points" with this bunch, Snood, since they've shown their willingness to lie through their teeth trying to make it seem that whites are being victimized by having to show some respect to people whom they didn't have to in the past.

That's what Lash is largely about on this forum. This whole thread is just a continuation of that. The Republicans have been appealing to the backlash vote since the sixties. The whole idea is to be seen in opposition to the blacks so that white people who aren't so crazy with the whole civil rights thing will get the message that the Republican Party is the place to go for people who think blacks are getting "too much".

Get real. Lash is the one who has put up post after post telling us how acceptable it is for white people to use the N-word in certain circumstances. Then with a straight face tries to tell us that her black friends let her call them that all the time.

Why would anyone make up such crap? It's all political positioning. While making a few hollow shows of attempting to reach out to the black community, the Republicans feel there is even more political gain to be had seeming to stand up to blacks. This is an emotional issue for minorities, and maintaining that using the N-word is all right under certain circumstances sends a clear message to whites who really aren't that crazy about blacks that the GOP is the place to go.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:30 am
I guess I just wanted to say that I'm not so reactionary that I could interpret something as innocuous as what McCain said as harmful. But I think you're right about most of what you said.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:50 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
I don't see why you even want "cool points" with this bunch, Snood, since they've shown their willingness to lie through their teeth trying to make it seem that whites are being victimized by having to show some respect to people whom they didn't have to in the past.

That's what Lash is largely about on this forum. This whole thread is just a continuation of that. The Republicans have been appealing to the backlash vote since the sixties. The whole idea is to be seen in opposition to the blacks so that white people who aren't so crazy with the whole civil rights thing will get the message that the Republican Party is the place to go for people who think blacks are getting "too much".

This is absurd. Can you point to anything that would support this statement? It doesn't gel with my opinions at all.

Get real. Lash is the one who has put up post after post telling us how acceptable it is for white people to use the N-word in certain circumstances.

I do have a thing about usage--and right now, in my culture, nigger is the most powerful word.

Then with a straight face tries to tell us that her black friends let her call them that all the time.

I haven't used that word in years. During a period of time, I worked closely with people in a very volatile situation--and we all used it toward one another laughingly. It happened to be a 98% black staff... Your statement is erroneous and aggressive toward me. Having a bad day?

Why would anyone make up such crap?

Why would anyone be unable to believe that it's the truth? Those people were my close friends--a few of whom had children who called me Auntie "Lash". If you haven't had such relationships, i can understand how it's inconceivable to you--but don't transfer your limitations onto me.

It's all political positioning.

It was my life experience-coupled with a thorn in my ass about political correctness.

While making a few hollow shows of attempting to reach out to the black community, the Republicans feel there is even more political gain to be had seeming to stand up to blacks.

I am a person, a woman, a mother, a daughter, a friend, a lover, a sister, a student and many other things. I am not a Republican before any of those. You are thinking in a tight, small box.

This is an emotional issue for minorities, and maintaining that using the N-word is all right under certain circumstances sends a clear message to whites who really aren't that crazy about blacks that the GOP is the place to go.

If I am quoting someone or referring to the word, I will not use the term "the N-Word." Make of it what you will, usage Nazi. And, take a powder.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:51 pm
snood wrote:
I guess I just wanted to say that I'm not so reactionary that I could interpret something as innocuous as what McCain said as harmful. But I think you're right about most of what you said.

Torn aren't you?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:56 pm
Those who have never had close black friends cannot relate, Lash. I can. Those who don't have any friends at all will usually be the most hateful, judgmental, and snotty towards people they disagree with or who they don't want to believe. Come to think of it, that's probably why they don't have any friends. A Catch 22 kind of thing.

But you can bet they hunt in packs and they'll pile on like dogs and rational debate that allows for different points of view is a concept unnatural and foreign to them.

They're very good at stalking and nipping at heels though. I'll give them that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:56 pm
Damn. "Tar baby" again. I hadn't known he said it.

So, I don't see the news anymore. Big firestorm or no?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:59 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Those who have never had close black friends cannot relate, Lash. I can. Those who don't have any friends at all will usually be the most hateful, judgmental, and snotty towards people they disagree with or who they don't want to believe. Come to think of it, that's probably why they don't have any friends. A Catch 22 kind of thing.

But you can bet they hunt in packs and they'll pile on like dogs and rational debate that allows for different points of view is a concept unnatural and foreign to them.

Hey, Fox.

I really think that's it. Do they even HAVE blacks in keltic's neck of the woods? LOL
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 02:00 pm
Lash wrote:
Damn. "Tar baby" again. I hadn't known he said it.

So, I don't see the news anymore. Big firestorm or no?

So far no fire storm that I've noticed. But McCain is far more a media darling than Romney so they'll probably let it blow over with him. And there is so much firestorm that can be competently raised re the mis-definition of a word, too. Both Romney and McCain used the word correctly in its proper context and neither were being the least bit racist when they used it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 02:02 pm
Interesting point ...the difference in Romney's reception and McC's--as you point out...

That is the type of **** that pisses me off.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 02:02 pm
Lash wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Hey, Fox.

I really think that's it. Do they even HAVE blacks in keltic's neck of the woods? LOL

I dunno. But I bet it's a safe bet HE doesn't know any of them in anything other than a very casual way. Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 02:03 pm
I'm betting. Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 12:36 pm
Obama the 'Magic Negro'MORE HERE

If 'tar baby', an innocuous and non racist term from folklore, is translated into a racist reference by some, I wonder if there will be any sound and fury over Ehrenstein referring to Obama as the "Magic Negro?" Even overlooking Ehrenstein's using Wikipedia as his source for a description of the term, does it strike anybody as offensive for Obama to be referenced in this way?

This is definitely a new one on me.
0 Replies