Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 12:47 pm
The above mentioned wiki-link should be correctly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_negro
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:39 pm
Lash wrote:
I am a person, a woman, a mother, a daughter, a friend, a lover, a sister, a student and many other things. I am not a Republican before any of those. You are thinking in a tight, small box.
This is pure genius. Idea
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:25 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Even overlooking Ehrenstein's using Wikipedia as his source for a description of the term, does it strike anybody as offensive for Obama to be referenced in this way?

It does me, though not the term "magic negro" in itself. What I find offensive is the idea that a black man cannot be intelligent, sexy, and uninterested in white women (or white people in general) without it somehow being a cooked up plan by the white devil to assuage his own guilt. What a crock!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:19 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Even overlooking Ehrenstein's using Wikipedia as his source for a description of the term, does it strike anybody as offensive for Obama to be referenced in this way?

It does me, though not the term "magic negro" in itself. What I find offensive is the idea that a black man cannot be intelligent, sexy, and uninterested in white women (or white people in general) without it somehow being a cooked up plan by the white devil to assuage his own guilt. What a crock!

The "magic negro" character is, almost by definition, a cooked up plan (or character) by a white person (whether or not they qualify as a devil is another matter).

Steven King's use of the "magic negro" is so routine, it's almost comical. Whether or not he uses it is to assuage some sort of "white guilt," is something I will leave to him to rebut or confess.

The gist of the article was not, I believe, that blacks could not have the qualities of the "magic negro" without the presence of a guilt wracked white artist.

Actually, I think Ehrenstein overly expands the archetype with some of his examples, but then the whole notion that white people might like or admire a black person who is not a "sell-out" seems well stuck in his craw.

The very idea that a black person who is liked or admired by white people must be some sort of archetype that is a hair's breadth away from a "darky" in a minstrel show is sad (I'll leave it to others to be offended).

It is also sad that being articulate, inclusive, and not obsessed with race is thought to be reflective of "not being real."

Is Sharpton more "real" than Obama?

Black politicians will forever represent minorities if they subscribe to the twisted idea that they cannot be "real" if they appeal to guilt free whites.

Any white who feels guilty because he or she is attracted to a black candidate who is articulate, inclusive and not obsessed with race is a Liberal (for sure) fool.

This opens a crack to a very interesting possibility: If Sharpton and other influential blacks continue to attack Obama for not being "real" or for being a "magic negro," will the Left eventually turn against Obama to prove their bonafides as supporters of "keepin' it real?"
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:22 pm
Interesting.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 09:13 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
This opens a crack to a very interesting possibility: If Sharpton and other influential blacks continue to attack Obama for not being "real" or for being a "magic negro," will the Left eventually turn against Obama to prove their bonafides as supporters of "keepin' it real?"
Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:00 am
I first heard the term "magic negro" right after The Green Mile came out, in reference to Michael Clark Duncan's ever-forgiving, nauseatingly uplifting role. I happen to think there's something to the belief that the "magic negro" archetype might have a balming effect on white guilt, albeit not something consciously intended by the authors.

I think Obama is far too dynamic and relevant a figure to fit the "magic negro" mold, though. The magic negro's race isn't threatening to anyone white. Obama's clearly is.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:22 am
Why Snood? Apart from possibly giving him an advantage with the presumed "black vote", why do you think Obama's race is threatening to anybody? White or otherwise?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:11 am
Does anyone feel threatened by Obama?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 10:03 am
Lash wrote:

There's in Germany something which would be translated "Who's afraid of the black man" - but that's a tag game like quatre coins in France, prisoner's base in England, diefjes en agent in the Netherlands ... :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 12:32 pm
Lash wrote:

I think Hillary feels threatened by Obama, but I doubt his being African American has much to do with that other than him probably having an edge with the black vote that she counted on getting.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:56 pm
I will leave it at this... Obama is black enough for some people to want to keep him out of the oval office.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:13 pm
snood wrote:
I will leave it at this... Obama is black enough for some people to want to keep him out of the oval office.

Maybe. But I think his being black is also enough for some people to vote for him without having a clue of who he is or what he thinks about anything.

Whether those two things cancel each other out is anybody's guess.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:50 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

Maybe. But I think his being black is also enough for some people to vote for him without having a clue of who he is or what he thinks about anything.

Yes but most all candidates get a certain number of votes this way. Some people will vote for Hillary just because she is a woman, some people vote for a candidate because he or she is good-looking. That's just the way it is in our country. How many of us even understand what the job is that these people are running for? We are not so strong in civics. Obama has no great advantage in being black.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:09 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Yes but most all candidates get a certain number of votes this way. Some people will vote for Hillary just because she is a woman, some people vote for a candidate because he or she is good-looking. That's just the way it is in our country. How many of us even understand what the job is that these people are running for? We are not so strong in civics. Obama has no great advantage in being black.

Agreed. But I'm not as convinced as Snood may be that there is any great disadvantage in being black either.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:09 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Agreed. But I'm not as convinced as Snood may be that there is any great disadvantage in being black either.

Naturally this has to do with a lot of historical revisionism on your part when it comes to the topic of race relations and Republicanism.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:58 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Naturally this has to do with a lot of historical revisionism on your part when it comes to the topic of race relations and Republicanism.

Cycloptichorn
Laughing While I would agree that Foxy's off base here, what does historical revisionism have to do with it? You do know the origins of the two party system, don't you? :wink:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:14 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Cycloptichorn
Laughing While I would agree that Foxy's off base here, what does historical revisionism have to do with it? You do know the origins of the two party system, don't you? :wink:

Yeah, yeah. I'm just saying there's a real reason why modern blacks have a problem with the Republican party, and it isn't because of Democratic efforts to keep them down permanently, as some allege.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:22 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

That's a definite revision of what I said. I said he's black enough to keep some from voting from him. How you got "disadvantage" out of that emanates from in your head. I don't see those people who wouldn't vote for him because of that as any great loss.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:28 pm
It's fair to say that to a person seeking election, any barrier to votes is a disadvantage.
0 Replies