Political Correctness: Make a Judgment

Lash

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 08:22 pm
I know!!! We didn't even take any.

Do you have a webcam?

I'll dazzle you with my interactive self!!!!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 08:28 pm
I don't... and I'm not sure why I need one to be dazzled. Confused
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 08:59 pm
You seemed curious.... not especially in need of dazzlement... Confused

My communication skills seem to be lacking recently...

It would be fabulous to see everybody on cams. Very Happy
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:01 pm
Seriously though, Lash - you do know you're full of ****, dontcha?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:03 pm
I am full of sunshine and happiness.

(beams beatifically)

(kisses snoody)

radiates love to the world...

Very Happy

Be nice, snood. Very Happy
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:21 pm
Lash wrote:
You seemed curious.... not especially in need of dazzlement... Confused

My communication skills seem to be lacking recently...

It would be fabulous to see everybody on cams. Very Happy
Laughing I couldn't agree more, silly. I've just never needed a cam to look at pics before. But, I'm always in need of dazzlement. :wink:
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:26 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:51 am
Lash, you are one deluded and twisted lady. And for what I think of you - that's being nice.

And just for the record (since now your twisted thread about why "tarbaby" might be nice in some circumstances is now a twisted thread about Lash's picture), what, you can't find one picture of yourself to post here?

I mean, I know it's easier maintaining your "fabulous forties" pose without anyone seeing you, but someone as smart as you that can't figure out how to post a pic of herself? Kinda thin, ain't it?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 06:45 am
This is a hoot. Why do you care what I look like?

Is it driving you crazy? Do you wonder about it when you're trying to sleep or something? Laughing

I use public computers. I don't have access to post pics, and frankly, I don't have any recent pics of me. I'm notorious with my family for avoiding pictures, because I don't think I'm photogenic.

I do plan to have one made soon, and I'll ask my daughter to post it for me.

Just for you, baby. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 06:53 am
Noone else besides snood will look at it.

How long does it take .... 8 mins already waiting here ...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 07:12 am
(The crowd grows restless....) LOL
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 07:22 am
Sorry I missed you this weekend, Lash. I could've brought my camera and posted the pics for you. I also don't have any recent pictures of myself -- especially none that don't also have my kids in them, and I'm kind of paranoid about posting theirs here.

Thomas was a blast. You and I will have to meet up some time this summer. Athens isn't all that far.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 07:29 am
I just sent you an email---Freeduck. I'm going to my sister's to veg for a while--and then I'll be back for Maymester classes-- I have a trip to NV planned for June and then July classes--but somewhere in there--I would love for us to meet up. We'll have a BLAST!!!

Thomas was great, wasn't he? Very Happy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 07:35 am
Yes. He was hilarious. Great sense of humor.

Come to Atlanta when you get a chance. We'll have a cookout.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:06 am
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Love to!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 12:53 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
blatham wrote:
That "Soros funds Media Matters" is false. That Soros money funded elsewhere ends up going from them to Media Matters is possible but I've yet to see evidence of it. The first piece foxfyre posted is typical..."connections", which means anything the writer or reader wants it to mean.

I didn't say George Soros funded Media Matters.

You did, actually - just not on this thread. But on another thread, yes, you did, literally - three times.

And yes, it was BS, of course - even the rightwing Politico website retracted the claim.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 01:43 pm
nimh wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
blatham wrote:
That "Soros funds Media Matters" is false. That Soros money funded elsewhere ends up going from them to Media Matters is possible but I've yet to see evidence of it. The first piece foxfyre posted is typical..."connections", which means anything the writer or reader wants it to mean.

I didn't say George Soros funded Media Matters.

You did, actually - just not on this thread. But on another thread, yes, you did, literally - three times.

And yes, it was BS, of course - even the rightwing Politico website retracted the claim.

I responded on the other thread where you dredged up this stuff Nimh. Geez I wish you would get a hobby or something.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 02:35 pm
Habibi has a hobby--and a good deal of it consists of pointing out contradictions and factual errors on the part of political fanatics.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 08:10 pm
I have several hobbies, even..

Foxfyre wrote:
I responded on the other thread where you dredged up this stuff Nimh. Geez I wish you would get a hobby or something.

I responded on the other thread as well, but I sort of regret posting it there. For one, because it's Soz's Obama '08 thread, and it's very off topic there, when she's really tried to keep it focused. Secondly, because I think posters here might be interested in what I found when I tried some of the links you posted as "sources" for your Soros - Media Matters claim here.

So I'm copying that post here, and suggest that if you'd like to respond, you can do it here too.

This was your post in that thread; my response will follow in the next post..

Foxfyre wrote:
nimh wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
In case anybody wants Schlussel's version instead of the George Soros funded "Media Matters" version [..]

Foxfyre wrote:
It would have been more honest of the Soros-funded people to have pointed out that their excerpt was a running commentary [..]. It would have been more honest of the Soros-funded people to have added an addendum [..].

This was Foxfyre calling Media Matters "the Soros-funded people," three times in two posts. I let it slide at the time.

But just to put the matter straight, "Media Matters has never received funding from progressive philanthropist George Soros"; "Soros has never given money to Media Matters, either directly or through another organization".

In fact, when the rightwing website Politico published an op-ed by Tom DeLay alleging that "George Soros [..] has funded an organization called Media Matters for America," it published a correction to distance itself from DeLay's claim:

http://mediamatters.org/static/images/home/politico-20070426.gif

So where does Foxfyre come up with these claims? Well, Drudge made this claim, DeLay made it, Rush Limbaugh ("Media Matters is a Hillary Clinton, George Soros, DNC front group") made it. All unconcerned with it not being true.

Can Foxfyre follow the Politico's example?

Foxfyre provided her sources, none of which are those you are attributing to me now without sourcing your own opinions. I probably at some point did say George Soros funded Media Matters without qualification based on incorrect information I received. I maintain that there is ample evidence out there--some I've posted and numerous other sources all of which you would likely reject--outlining and specifyin ghow he does fund David Brock and Media Matters through the various leftwing organization that directly fund Media Matters. You are welcome to believe what you wish about the connections. So am I. In my opinion Media Matters is about the most reprehensible and irresponsible media source out there. All of my points about it were made in showing an illustration of one instance that supports my opinion about them.

I am quite happy to state that, so far as I know, George Soros does not write checks directly to Media Matters. The honest among us won't try to deny there is no connection at all, however, or that Media Matters is not benefitting on purpose from Soros funding, and if anybody wants to believe Soros doesn't know what the organizations he funds are doing with his money, I have a nice bridge to sell you.

I don't know how far back you had to go to find those quotes to take out of context, however. You really are obsessed aren't you. Why is that do you think? Would it be helpful if you supplied me with a list of topics, phrases, words, or expressions that are acceptable to you? At least that would help me know when another one of these things is coming.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 08:11 pm
Here we go:

Foxfyre wrote:
I probably at some point did say George Soros funded Media Matters without qualification based on incorrect information I received.

Yep. Not "probably" - you did. I just quoted you doing so.

Foxfyre wrote:
I don't know how far back you had to go to find those quotes

A month. I may be getting older but my memory can still deal with a month.

Foxfyre wrote:
I don't know how far back you had to go to find those quotes to take out of context

What do you mean with "out of context"? Responding to a Media Matters item that had nothing to do whatsoever with Soros, you went out of your way to add "Soros-funded" as qualifier to describe them three times in a row. No idea what that was supposed to achieve, I assume it counts as an insult in your eyes. My point here was simple: you repeatedly asserted that MM was Soros-funded; it wasnt. End. What context would you like to have introduced here on that count?

Foxfyre wrote:
You really are obsessed aren't you.

Huh? I happened to come upon the Politico correction today, and remembered that you had made the exact same allegation that the Politico had to retract just a month ago. So I typed "Media Matters Soros" in the A2K search box, found your post in question, and responded to it. Took me five minutes.

Foxfyre wrote:
Foxfyre provided her sources

When you posted here that George Soros funded Media Matters, and called Media Matters the Soros-funded people? No, you didn't.

When you later reworded the claim more ambiguously in another thread, you did give a source - CNSNews (founded as "Conservative News Service"). When that was received sceptically, you did (not for the first time) what appears to be a Google word search linkdump - a bunch of links that must all have had the words "Soros" and "Media Matters" in it, but that you hadnt apparently actually read, since some never even mentioned any link between the two.

For example, your links had an Eric Alterman column among them, from the Nation. One problem: it didnt actually mention Media Matters anywhere - let alone it being Soros-funded. Why was it in your list of links then? I think I know - the little "about Eric Alterman" frame next to the article mentioned that he's a weblogger for Media Matters. So thats how it must have come up in your Google search.

Same with the WaPo story you included in the list. Does it mention anything about Soros funding Media Matters, directly or indirectly? Nope. Nothing. Article happens to mention both Soros and Media Matters, which is how it must have showed up in the Google search results, but it never made any connection between them, not about funding or anyhow else.

So what was that all about? I mean, come on - what do you take us for? Is your gambit to assume that we wont actually click your links anyway, so you can claim to have "listed your sources" even though some of those links never even mentioned the thing you were talking about?

Foxfyre wrote:
Foxfyre provided her sources, none of which are those you are attributing to me now without sourcing your own opinions.

Uhm, I did actually link in the sources for what I posted here. You have to click the blue words - those are links.

Foxfyre wrote:
I maintain that there is ample evidence out there--some I've posted and numerous other sources all of which you would likely reject--outlining and specifyin ghow he does fund David Brock and Media Matters through the various leftwing organization that directly fund Media Matters. You are welcome to believe what you wish about the connections.

"Connections".. Look, didnt you do something in the field of fundraising yourself, once, or do I misremember? If you did, then you will know that most funding is earmarked for specific activities. That is certainly true for most all funding given by Soros's Open Society Institute, for one. You dont, usually, get funding to spend, or in your turn give away again, as you see fit. So funding that Soros gave to "various leftwing organisations" will tend to have been tied to specific projects, activities, etc. And as Media Matters has stated, it has not received funding "indirectly" from Soros this way either.

Foxfyre wrote:
In my opinion Media Matters is about the most reprehensible and irresponsible media source out there.

Really?

Foxfyre wrote:
The honest among us won't try to deny there is no connection at all, however, or that Media Matters is not benefitting on purpose from Soros funding, and if anybody wants to believe Soros doesn't know what the organizations he funds are doing with his money, I have a nice bridge to sell you.

See above. Grants and funding are rarely just given away for the grantee to spend on whatever it sees fit. So if Soros works the same way in America as he does here, the money he gave to other organisations would have been spent on earmarked activities, and could therefore not have been in turn channeled on to Media Matters.

Not that I would mind if Soros funded Media Matters, just to make that clear - I think they're doing an admirable job of dispassionately fact-checking media stories. They're partisan, for sure - they mostly only fact-check stories that put liberal groups or issues in a bad light. But they are nerdily precise in what they do; simple fact-checking.

So I wouldnt mind - but fact is, he doesnt - and your reasoning that somehow indirectly he is responsible after all is naive at best, and a lie at worst.

Look, lets look at the reasoning here. Your CNS news story says, "Clearly [Media Matters] worked very closely with Soros-funded groups", with which it meant MoveOn.org: ergo, "there is definitely a Soros connection there."

According to the same logic, the US Republican Party funded the Ukrainian Orange revolution. After all, the International Republican Institute has supported organisations, which in turn were active in the revolution.

Simple, uh? Except it's nonsense.

Foxfyre wrote:
Would it be helpful if you supplied me with a list of topics, phrases, words, or expressions that are acceptable to you? At least that would help me know when another one of these things is coming.

What Kicky said. If you repeat claims that are plain false, then you will be pointed out that they are plain false. If you dont want the bother of being fact-checked, then simply make sure not to post, or parrot, falsehoods.
0 Replies