Political Correctness: Make a Judgment

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 06:54 pm
I was reading on MSNBC and saw the following article.

This, I thought, is a good example of the type of political correctness that I despise. Rather than bring it up in a myriad of threads, where I can't seem to explain my meaning-- I thought I'd use this instance--Mitt Romney's statement and ensuing fake firestorm--to see if anyone else sees the same thing--or at least to understand why they don't.

Should Mitt Romney apologize for saying "Tarbaby"?

BOSTON - Gov. Mitt Romney has apologized for referring to the troubled Big Dig construction project as a "tar baby" during a fundraiser with Iowa Republicans, saying he didn't know anyone would be offended by the term some consider a racial epithet.

In a speech Saturday, Romney, a Republican considering a run for president in 2008, acknowledged he took a big political risk in taking control of the project after a fatal tunnel ceiling collapse, but said inaction would have been even worse.

"The best thing politically would be to stay as far away from that tar baby as I can," he told a crowd of about 100 supporters in Ames, Iowa.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 39,517 • Replies: 896
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:20 pm
Quote:
tar baby
n.
A situation or problem from which it is virtually impossible to disentangle oneself.

[After "Bre'r Rabbit and the Tar Baby," an Uncle Remus story by Joel Chandler Harris.]

Doesn't sound racist to me.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:23 pm
Oh come on, weenies.

Yes, I'd call a sticky subject a tarbaby--I don't even think of it as a euphemism for a person--

or no. I'd never say it.

Are you actually afraid to even answer?

This is really making a statement.

<sigh>

Oh! Refreshed and see Phoenix. Thanks so much for answering!!

<kicks can>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:46 pm
I almost didn't open this thread, because I despise the term "politically correct" that much. But, yes, I think people make too much over such a statement, in the context it is used. After all, we older folks grew up knowing the tale of Brer Rabbit and the tar baby. It is not a racist tale, in my view, and it is plain it was to this story he referred. I prefer to take these things on a case by case basis, because there are at times others with dark motives, not related to this one.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:56 pm
It would have been easy to avoid. What kind of a name is Mitt anyway?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:04 pm
paull wrote:
It would have been easy to avoid. What kind of a name is Mitt anyway?

I agree. Public figures know how touchy people can get; yet, they persist in using phrases they should know will get them negative publicity.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:07 pm
I have read that Republicans are prone to use those types of words a lot. Since I don't really understand American politics, I am not sure why. If a politician is aware that certain words or phrases are not acceptable to the people, or groups of people, they are foolish for their use of these words. Regardless of what we think about our personal use or non-use of certain words, politicians are in a different situation and should be smart enough to know that.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:25 pm
Quote:
I have read that Republicans are prone to use those types of words a lot

Watcha readin there you backward canuck? Democrats are prone to error as well. Please expand your reading list or suffer my barbs. I dunno where the golden horseshoe is, if it is newfieland forget I said anything.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:27 pm
I am not speaking of error when I mentioned Republicans. I have read that some intentionally do this. You may want to add a dictionary to your reading list. Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:29 pm
My family originates from West Virginia, and there "tarbaby" is a racial term that has nothing to do with brer rabbit.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:08 pm
Thanks to all of you for just showing up and giving your opinion.

If tarbaby is taken straight from the Joel Chandler story, which is where it originated--a tarbaby means something like an imbroglio--something that the harder you try to extricate yourself--the more stuck you get.

I am guessing that because the tarbaby in the movie appeared to be a caricature of a black person--because tar is black-- some people may have changed the meaning of the word to denote black people.

My little fuss is that I don't think the American public should hand the keys to tarbaby over to the dregs of our society. I don't want them to get to redefine a word and destroy context, intent and meaning.

I think Chandler's original meaning fit Romney's situation quite well.

Anyway, thanks.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:54 pm
McGentrix wrote:
My family originates from West Virginia, and there "tarbaby" is a racial term that has nothing to do with brer rabbit.

and I grew up in pennsylvania and california where the phrase was one step up from calling a black person the N word. it was not to be used in polite company and adults admonished childen who used it.

it degrades both those who uses it and for whom it is intended. as a phrase it is on par with calling something workable but in a state of delapidation n***** rigged.

i will let pass without comment that it is regularly used by many (but certainly not all) right wingers.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:06 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Good for you, McGentrix.

Lash, the word might well have started life with a non-racial meaning, but language is a living, changing thing. Both the way the word sounds, plus the social degradation of black people of the time, gradually led to a secondary meaning which is racial and widespread.

I would guess that if you ask people what it meant, by now most people would give the racial definition. Considering the emotions involved, it is hard to see why anybody would make a point of using it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:08 pm
i have not come across the term, but why use terms anyone finds offensive? whether it's reasonable or not, it's just unnecessary. a politician should know that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 04:59 am
My first response was a bit naive. I personally didn't grow up thinking of the term in a derogatory context, but now that I realize how it is used in so many places, I believe Romney made a far more serious error than I first thought.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 05:41 am
That's why I just stick to the tried and true vocabulary like "Pickaninny"
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:23 am
The word tarbaby has never been used in my presence as a racial epithet.

I did know it can be used as a slur, but some people on this thread act as if it is a given that "people should know" not to ever say it. I think that's very presumptuous.

I don't know if it's a regional word or what. Being in Georgia, you'd think my region would have ALL the racial slurs, but as I said--I haven't heard it.

McG, whether the people you know who use the word know it or not, tarbaby originated from the Brer Rabbit story.

If the tar used to make the baby had been green, suddenly it would be ok.

Anyway. This has been helpful.

I think watching edgar's responses on the thread show why I hate PC. He's a reasonable man, who takes individual rights and decency very seriously. Few people remarked at first--because they were worried that they'd say the "wrong thing" and be called racists. This seems to be the most dreaded accusation one can endure....whether or not it's true.

So, he evaluated what Romney said without benefit of waiting on the herd--and could easily see the Big Dig project fit the analogy of a figure made of tar--the more you struggle to extricate yourself--the most stuck you get. I guess he saw from the article that Romney wasn't aware it could be used as a racial slur, and that the Boston papers had referred to it the same way--without any hue and cry. So, he was mindful of people's feelings, but understanding of the speaker. To me, the reasonable response.

Then, as people start making blustery, seemingly accusatory statements, (and push the PC) he felt the need to amend his response. PC at work.

It's very instructive.

This was important to me:

"The best thing politically would be to stay as far away from that tar baby as I can," he told a crowd of about 100 supporters in Ames, Iowa.

Black leaders were outraged at his use of the term, which dates to the 19th century Uncle Remus stories, referring to a doll made of tar that traps Br'er Rabbit. It has come to be known as a way of describing a sticky mess, and has also been used as a derogatory term for a black person.

"Tar baby is a totally inappropriate phrase in the 21st century," said Larry Jones, a black Republican and civil rights activist.

"He thinks he's presidential timber," Jones said. "But all he's shown us is arrogance." ( ? )

Romney's spokesman, Eric Fehrnstrom, said the governor was describing "a sticky situation."

"He was unaware that some people find the term objectionable and he's sorry if anyone's offended," Fehrnstrom said.

Fehrnstrom produced copies of editorials and columns from Boston newspapers using "tar baby" in a context similar to Romney's. One example from 2004, a Herald editorial, used the term about the Big Dig itself.

"It just goes to show you that not everyone is aware the term is considered offensive to some people," he said.

White House spokesman Tony Snow sparked similar criticism in May when he used the term in response to a question about government surveillance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wonder why black leaders were so outraged that Romney said it--but not so much when the Boston papers said it? PC and "outrage" seem politically expedient weapons sometimes.

Certainly this time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:46 am
I don't feel I was coerced into changing my response. I just feel a politician has advisers who will tell them this sort of thing. If nobody told Milt, well, that's his misfortune. If I were a politician, particularly engaged in national politics, I would choose my words more carefully. I still have the unsullied version of tarbaby in my own little world, but have no desire to hurt others whose experience with life differs from my own.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:29 am
Webster doesn't find any derogative usage of `tarbaby' but does find the innocent usage Lash describes.

Webster's dictionary wrote:
One entry found for tar baby.
Main Entry: tar baby
Function: noun
Etymology: from the tar baby that trapped Brer Rabbit in an Uncle Remus story by Joel Chandler Harris
: something from which it is nearly impossible to extricate oneself

http://www.webster.com/dictionary/tarbaby

Is it possible that the derogative usage is very localized, and the speaker really didn't know the word was insulting to some? Or could it be a parallel to "niggardly", a word that isn't an epithet but that some language activists got retroactively offended by?
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:36 am
The jig's obviously up for Mitt. He's obviously a monster of arrogance in describing that oh-so-sticky situation that is the Big Dig as a 'tar baby'. He obviously hates blacks and can now expect zero support from them if he runs for president.

We should all contrast Mitt's remarks to the respectful utterances of the Donk leader:

"You think the Republican National Committee could get this many people of color in a single room? Only if they had the hotel staff in here."

Can't you just feel the love?
0 Replies