Is it right to have sex on the first date..

chatoyant

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 06:07 pm
The idea that men have to pay for a date is an old-fashioned one, in my opinion. It used to be the proper thing to do, but it seems outdated to me. I have honestly tried to talk men into letting me go Dutch on a date, but so far I haven't had any takers. I really would feel more comfortable doing that. I'm middle-aged, so the men I go out with are in the age group where they think they have to pay and if they don't, it seems to really bother them.

I agree with Slappy about showing up on the first date with flowers. It seems silly to me. But if you go out and have a really nice time, I think it's great to send her flowers afterwards if you choose to.

Sometimes dating can be a really big pain, can't it?
Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 08:21 pm
Yes, you women are evil, evil souls.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 08:23 pm
I find dating a problem too....what the heck day is it anyway?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 09:07 pm
this is an interesting question, which I've missed up to now because I've been so busy this week end. Sex on the first date? Well, I've had sex on a first date. Sometimes it was a disaster and sometimes, it would have been a shame to wait. It all depends on so many variables. I like to do what seems right at the time. Safety these days is an absolute must. But I haven't dated in a long, long time. In the 60s and early 70s when I did most dating, free sex was a reality, or seemed to be. Those were the days, I must admit. I had lots of sex and enjoyed most of it. Remember those days, guys? Oh, to be able to go back...........fond, very stimulating memories...............

As far as sex on the first date with two people who have known each other for a long time and had time to get to know each other, but unable to date.........well, let's say that I'd like to see someone try to stop me. :-)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 09:40 pm
Stop you? I wanna help you! Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 12:13 am
Lola- Ah, the swingin' sixties. That was before AIDS reared its ugly head. Looking back, with all its sexuality, in some ways the 60's WAS a much more innocent time than now. Didn't have to worry that the next escapade could kill you!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 03:51 am
chatoyant wrote:
Sofia, you're right. It's difficult to say no when your hormones are saying yes. But I've always thought sex on the first date was a mistake. I think after you get to know a person, sex is so much better.

Hormones or not, I always say no to sex on a first date. My theory is this: If the guy calls again, I did the right thing. If he doesn't call, I did the right thing, and I also know what that guy was all about.

CodeBorg wrote:
TESTING people ... isn't that manipulative? How genuine is that?

chatoyant wrote:
CodeBorg - As Sofia said, I'm the one who first wrote, "If he calls back, I've done the right thing - if he doesn't, I've done the right thing" etc.

What I think is manipulative is when a man takes a woman out for a nice evening, then expects her to hop into bed with him because after all, he's been putting out money so now she should just "put out" as sort of a payback. Heck, they might as well have stayed at her place, had wild and crazy sex and then he could give her the money he would have spent on the date. That would save time and angst ... wondering ... will she ... won't she? In fact, he could have saved a whole lot of time by just picking up a hooker on the street corner. Get my drift?

I want a man to like me for who I am, not what I have - it's as simple as that.

Sofia wrote:
Codeborg--

1) The theory was shared by Chatoyant. I said I subscribed to it.

2) It isn't a test or manipulation. It is a way for a woman to talk herself into waiting, when she'd possibly rather not.

Like: I'm not screwing myself up by not having sex with him. If he really likes me, he'll call later. If he really didn't like me, then I didn't waste a sponge on him.

SPONGE-WORTHY! (... from a hilarious Seinfeld episode)
Ok, I''ve been thinking about this for a couple hours now, and before I post anything else I'd like to clean up.

1) I read it wrong. I thought you might be making a decision depending on what your dates might do, but instead you were just thinking through your strategy AFTER having decided your policy. I'm sorry I read your post so hastily! Embarrassed

2) Even if someone does "test" people, that's none of my business. Everyone has their way and I shouldn't imply ANYTHING is wrong, even though I prefer direct honesty.

3) I was trying to be light about it (kind of like Slappy's sarcasm), but the way I phrased my reponse was antagonistic, like I was accusing you. That might be okay with my best friends in private, but not in front of 1300 people. Better to bring people up than down!

If I offended, then I'm sorry. Both of you ROCK!

We agree on many things... I've heard a few women say "Oh, I'd only date a guy if he took me to a fancy restaurant. And if he doesn't spend at least $150 on me, I'd never see him again". My jaw drops everytime I hear it, but people really DO talk like that. Amazing!

BTW, for years I've been fed up with debating whether I should pay for dinner or not, so I insist on paying for it every time just to avoid the whole damn issue. But after all that, could I be criticized for buying dinner, because it might be seen as manipulating the woman? Damned if I don't, tear my hair out over it, then still damned if I do ... AAARRG!!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 05:29 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Lola- Ah, the swingin' sixties. That was before AIDS reared its ugly head. Looking back, with all its sexuality, in some ways the 60's WAS a much more innocent time than now. Didn't have to worry that the next escapade could kill you!

The "morning after pill" is going to go OTC. Things have really changed> Mad Exclamation
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 05:32 am
Women, who pay for their male date's dinner are probably the same ones, who propose marriage and then go out and buy the ring.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 07:34 am
CodeBorg, buying a dinner in and of itself isn't manipulative. Some variation of "Hey, I shelled out $150 and I don't even get a goodnight kiss??" is manipulative. (And there are probably as many of those as there are airheads who won't even go out unless the guy takes them to an expensive place.)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 07:41 am
c.i., you're very kind to be thinking of helping me. But at the moment, I appear to need little help in this department. :-)

And Phoenix, it's true about the 60s. It's funny to think of them now as innocent times. But in a way, they were. All past times, I suppose can be seen in this light. Hopefully we learn as we go. If you think about it, it was naive to think that medicine had solved all dangers. We thought anti-biotics were the answer to everything. We hadn't really come to terms with the virus. I do remember the times fondly however. Ignorance is bliss, until disaster strikes.

Spontaneous sexuality is a desirable goal, when not used destructively and it's possible. Couples should be able to do what they feel will further their relationship if they decide this one's worth it. If you have sex on the first date, and then the relationship doesn't work out after all, there's nothing really lost. Unless you feel sex should be reserved only for lasting relationships. So, I think it depends on the attitudes and beliefs of the individuals involved. Sometimes a one night stand is refreshing.......but don't take my word for it, I haven't had one of those in a very long time.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:58 am
Chatoyant,
...I'm late replying to this, because I had trouble getting on yesterday. I find "going dutch" very strange and undate like. I'm not an old fashioned prude. I've had women treat me on occasion, but never attemped the awkward 50/50 split. Why don't you try offering to to the turnabout sometimes? And if you still have trouble........... My number is......... [hee-heeee] Very Happy
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:03 am
Lola,
...In retrospect, I think of the 50's, as the most innocent period of my lifetime. As a matter of fact, the only. The sixties, to me seem to be a time of discovery, and cultural, and political rebellion. More than any other decade.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:43 am
Booman, I agree about the turnabout. I first offer to split the tab, and I'm usually turned down. Then I say something like "Okay, but I get the next one." And I follow through!

Splitting tabs can be a very telling activity, though. Will he only ask me to pay for what I ate? Or split it down the middle? Or will he get out a calculator and figure the tax and tip down to the penny? Very Happy
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:44 am
Oh, and back on topic, I think having sex on a first date is great! Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't - completely depends on the date!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 10:56 am
Splitting the bill sucks. I don't do it, never on a date, and not usually with guy friends either.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 06:54 pm
CodeBorg - No problem. I probably took what you said too seriously, but I wasn't angry - just telling it from my point of view. Also, I don't think you warrant criticism for insisting on buying dinner. People should do whatever makes them most comfortable. So relax, enjoy yourself - and for crying out loud - stop pulling out your hair! Ouch!!

Booman - Turnabout is a good idea, and from what I've read here, I think that would be a much better approach. BTW, I tried calling that number but no one answered. (Just my luck!)

cavfancier - It's Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - does that help?

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:45 pm
Oh sure chatoyant, it is now...but is wasn't when I asked Very Happy
0 Replies

ellieZeeTheSprite

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:39 pm
You know, I wouldn't have responded to this inquiry at all if it wasn't for the fact that when I thought about it for a second, I couldn't remember if I ever had sex on a first date. Not that I've had lots of partners or anything... it's just that I guess that after you've been with one person for a long time, everything that happened before seems to matter less and less until it just fades into the background and is hard to remember at all.

Or maybe that's just me.

So in summation, do what makes you happy and as long as your safe about it, you might not even remember it in the long run anyway.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:56 pm
cavfancier - Sorry I was late with that important date. I was out chasing men, proposing to them and all that. So many men, so little time!

Laughing Twisted Evil
0 Replies