How to meet people?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:28 pm
howsabout we print you up some cards that say 'i'd like to talk to you, but i'm a chicken' - you hand 'em out while saying 'cluck cluck'?

no?

i didn't think so.

there was no way you could have smiled and said something while you were in the same area of the store? no way?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:30 pm
i'm just sighing and sighing, cuz i've seen guys notice you - and you missing it. then you see a guy and can't move forward.

<sigh>
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:35 pm
Needs a bit of a push in the right direction?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:49 pm
she needs one of us pushing her, while the other one trips her - so she has no choice but to fly into/onto him.

<sigh>

he was probably lookin' at her

<sigh>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:50 pm
Beth - something wacky would be better, but not the chicken thing. He and I were never in speaking distance.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:51 pm
Walk over and say "Buy a lady a drink, sailor?", while looking up at him hopefully. Looking up while you are standing and he is sitting takes skill, but it's more an attitude than anything else.

By no means guaranteed, but a little bit comic, so you may be able to flee with dignity if it doesn't work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:51 pm
I can see it now. I have these visions of saying something to a guy after I spent all day outside in the yard. A spider crawling out of my hair and dropping into the spinach, a leaf lofting gently from where it was s tuck to my butt to the floor.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 08:12 pm
roger has the idea down pat, a little goofy always works on me. ok, well it did 20 yrs ago.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 08:17 pm
Okay, Beth.....I'll push her, you trip her!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 08:21 pm
Littlek, listen to Roger and dys, goofy works--it's timeless, even worked in my day! (So OK, I didn't have to work at it--it comes so naturally that it can be a little depressing).

Now, tell me why you weren't within talking distance??? Why didn't you make sure you were in talking distance???

(The girl definitely needs help!!!)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 08:37 pm
Goofy or not.....when I decided that men weren't all that scary, I forced myself to approach them as potential friends instead of 'love interests'.....makes a big difference!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 08:44 pm
I'm with Diane. I think I would have walked over, stood beside him, helping myself to whatever is on the shelf/salad bar (whether I wanted any of that stuff or not) and made some comment about the quality of the food, or the lighting in the store or the weather or "do you spend time at salad bars often?" Anything to get his attention. I would have laughed, giggled about something and smiled at him. Something. Or you could always drop your hankie on his boot................
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 08:51 pm
truth is you do get the looks....i've seen it. you don't notice or do notice and do what i do....

i honestly can't think of one guy i know that would not talk to you if you approached them, spiders, leaf's, and all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 08:55 pm
Ooops, didn't see roger sneak in there ahead of my last post. You know, all of you, that no matter what I'd do it'd be goofy. I am hopeless and goofy when it comes to flirting.

Diane - I know I need help, that's why I keep posting these damned threads....

Rae - yep, that's a good one to work on for me. I meet men all the time and get to know them as friends because I'm not drawn to them. But, when a guy draws me like that, it's really hard for me to keep it on that level.

Lola - giggling is part of the flirt thing that I can do, mostly in self-deprication because I am so goofy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 08:56 pm
Haha! Mikey, I do notice sometimes. i get shy or I can tell I'm not interested. But, I think that I sometimes just don't see it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:17 pm
<am sending littlek an injection of self-confidence that will force her to see that she is a lovely person ~ worthy of returning attention to the oodles of men who obviously find her attractive and worth getting to know>
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:18 pm
It'll only hurt for a second, littlek. I promise.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:32 pm
Well, littlek, you know Diane Keaton was notably successful with that style. If it worked for Diane, it should certainly work for you.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:32 pm
lol,,,,,,

maybe the shy thing, retreat asap, whatever.....

just go for it. i bet you anything you won't be dissapointed.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:35 pm
Littlek, please, please follow your interests and do exactly whatever you wish you could do.

I can't tell you how many times I've listened to women talk about this (shudder) man who (frown) came up to them and (gasp) asked them out! Eewwww, what a jerk, what a creep, who does he think he is?

Men get so much guff and blame for being pushy, leering and dominating that I just don't go there. I don't approach any woman. Ever. I can't, because as a man I know for a fact that it's rude when a man shows interest in a woman. I love women so dearly, but hundreds of complaining anecdotes have spoiled me on the whole ice-breaking thing. I've never heard a woman be appreciative of a man who initiates, and actually say she was glad.

I can't go where I'm not welcome. The quietly considerate guys won't be in your face, so you have to start something and say hi. I gaurentee he will smile.

I'd love it if more women showed interest and appreciation, and initiated more often with men. We'd have fewer games and many more partnerships of real individuals.

----------
Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching.
(Satchel Paige, 1906-1982)
0 Replies