President Bush: Is He a Liar?

plainoldme

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:14 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
plainoldme wrote:
MM -- Actually, you can say that a majority of the people once thought the world was flat, but that does not make it true.

What amazes me is that on the internet, people actually respond to folks who are ignored and laughed at in real life.

That's true. Of course, most people, in the work-a-day portion of their lives can not give voice to some of the beliefs we see posted here. There are a couple of posters whose writing brings up the question, "What do these people do for a living?"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:18 am
plainoldme wrote:
That's true. Of course, most people, in the work-a-day portion of their lives can not give voice to some of the beliefs we see posted here. There are a couple of posters whose writing brings up the question, "What do these people do for a living?"

That's been a question in my mind too! LOL According to mm, he and all his friends are getting regular pay raises, and are living very well. Seems they are isolated from the depressed wages, higher medical costs, higher fuel costs, higher college costs, of the middle-class and the poor in our country.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:35 am
c.i. -- Some of them have such big chips on their shoulders that I can not imagine them getting on, although I have worked for some fruitcakes. Others are just soooooo vooooooocaaaaaal!

Ever watch, The Office, in either its original British version or its American copy? Both are brilliant and right-on. In fact, I discovered the Brit original while channel surfing and my first impression, from coming in on the middle of a show, was that it was a documentary. A minute later, I realised that nothing anyone said made any sense. Of course, that does not negate the possibility it was a documentary of the workplace.

But, what would happen to someone who at work continually quoted people like Lindzen-Posner-Bloom? Or, people who can not control their racist impulses? Of folks whose politics are so extreme that it is unlikely they could pick up a pencil without commentary?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:56 am
c.i. -- This is something of a tangent, but, it does reflect upon the idea of how these people are at work.

-------------------------
Your guide toward meaningful work
by David Batstone
The pursuit for meaningful work must be at the top of many people's minds these days. All of a sudden I am receiving a slew of invitations to speak on the subject of vocation and meaning at university campuses and professional forums.

Individuals yearn to pour their talents and deepest interests into work that matters. They are tired of being one person at work, another with their family, and possibly yet another in their community or political activity. Sustaining these multiple personalities quickly becomes exhausting and makes us feel spiritually fragmented.

Of course, many people in the world do not have the privilege of choosing work that means something beyond a daily wage. But for the majority of SojoMail readers, that is not the case. Education and economic conditions offer choices.

It's exciting to watch traditional boundaries on work blur. In many cases, the decision whether to join, or launch, a nonprofit organization rather than a for-profit enterprise comes down to personal strategy and circumstance. In other words, your skills alone do not determine your career path. In that respect, I know some very talented managers and business minds who find their niche confronting the problem of malaria in sub-Saharan Africa or designing low-cost housing in the Tenderloin District of San Francisco. In like manner, I met some remarkably creative and values-led people at Dell Computer Corporation where I spent last week delivering workshops on ethics and sustainability in a global economy.

Following the publication of my last book, Saving the Corporate Soul, I went on the road for two years visiting all kinds of organizations about significance and purpose at work. I discovered that when individuals explain what motivates them they keep coming back to three basic drivers: purpose, passion, and profit. So I designed a short inventory to identify how individuals take a primary orientation from one of these drivers. I call the tool the Triple P Quiz: Purpose, Passion and Profit - and it's available online.

I like to use the word orientation because we truly operate with a mix of motivations. Nonetheless, I discovered that nearly everyone I interview points to a primary driver that shapes their experience at work.

In designing the tool, I aim not only to help workers learn more about themselves, I want to offer the workplace a language for job engagement and the range of motivations that inspire team members.

It may be helpful to offer here a thumb-nail sketch of each p. Passion-led individuals value inspiring and creative work. No matter how much an organization touts the higher purpose of a job, if they do not feel passionate about the activities the position involves, they are not likely to find the job enticing. In other words, passion-led people shiver at the thought of waking up to a month of Mondays and face a set of tasks that are uninspiring.

I meet purpose-led people most often in the nonprofit and civic sector. Don't get me wrong, these individuals are not disappointed to take on creative tasks. But what inspires them is the larger mission of the enterprise of which they are a part. Purpose people do not fit into a one-size-fits-all box, however. While one person may want to find a cure for cancer, another purpose person finds motivation for designing a new software. You want purpose people to help drive the mission and core values of your organization. They keep the enterprise on course.

Profit-led people are the most rare in the non-profit world. Profit does not solely refer to bottom-line financials. More broadly, profit-led people find meaning in achieving a set of determined deliverables. They are the ones who provide discipline and structure to the organization. If you have ever started your own enterprise, you know the valuable role that profit-led people play, especially once your operation began to scale.

The deeper I engage with organizations, the more I appreciate the range of motivations required to make an organization healthy and successful. Individuals are not all wired the same; they find meaning in very different ways. Unfortunately, we do not always value the differences.

Last week I received a cynical note from an individual who took the Triple P Quiz and proclaimed that passion people are self-indulgent. In short, here's his message: It is well and good to seek inspiration, but get over it, because the world is full of suffering people. This purpose-led individual doubts the sincerity of other people who do not share his own motivation. In my experience, it is always a temptation for purpose-led people to feel that any other motivation for meaning is inferior, if not selling out.

His position reminds me of a dilemma that a CEO presented to me recently. The company was a victim of its own success; it was experiencing wild economic growth. When the company launched over a decade ago, the very passionate founder attracted a first wave of employees who also believed fervently in the products of the company. Once the company passed the $100 million mark in sales, the management team saw the need to bring in profit-led people who could better discipline its operations. The early-generation workers, of course, viewed the intrusion of the profit-led people as a threat to their passion-led corporate culture. The profit-led people felt less than welcomed. For their part, they wondered how such a chaotic, undisciplined crew could have gotten so far in business.

My challenge is to help every member of an organization recognize the value of an orchestra with many instruments. No organization can sustain itself without a strong mission (purpose), a creative and inspired dynamism (passion), and clear set of achievements and deliverables (profit). When any one of these values dominates in such a degree that it squeezes out the comfortable space the others offer, the organization will falter. Those enterprises that value the uniqueness of their personnel, on the other hand, design work environments where productivity thrives.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 11:21 am
My wife finally retired from paid work as a RN, but now volunteers at the hospital. She's had a long, satisfying career, and has been happy over 95 percent of the time with her jobs. Towards the end, she even made good wages; earned over $60K working three days/week, and I got health benefits at Kaiser; no co-pays for anything.

I, on the other hand, had a relatively short professional career, but I enjoyed most of my work in management positions.

We have both been pretty lucky career-wise and investments-wise.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:00 pm
MM, are you saying that the majority is not always correct, but that you and your friends are. Up with anecdotal evidence!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:04 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Tico -- THis sounds like dueling news sources. How do you know for certain whether it was the f word or the s word?

Because I heard the audiotape where he said the s-word, and I've not heard any tape where he is purported to have said the f-word.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:08 pm
Roxxxanne/Chrissee/Harper/Nikkki wrote:
plainoldme wrote:
c.i. -- Tico is an attorney?!

He does Wills and Real Estate from what I understand. I guess it doesn't take much to pass the bar in Kansas.

Wow .. that's going back to a conversation we had almost a year ago to the day, back when I only called you Chrissee/Harper because you hadn't yet morphed into twin_peaks_nikki or Roxxxxxanne.

But your comprehension skills were just as lacking then as they are now. I no longer do wills or focus on real estate law to any great degree.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:55 pm
plainoldme wrote:

I meet purpose-led people most often in the nonprofit and civic sector. .....

I would say one purpose filled job would be garbage truck driver to help dispose of printed pshyco-babble, one example would be the article in which this quote was extracted. Often, garbage truck drivers are private sector jobs. Yes, they serve some of the most useful tasks I know. A few other most useful ones would include plumbers, electricians, engineers, and oil company employees.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:33 pm
Isn't it amazing that an uneducated and unsophisticated person like bush can undo thousands of manhours of work by hundreds of Ph.D.s and M.D.s with a flourish of his pen?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:35 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne/Chrissee/Harper/Nikkki wrote:
plainoldme wrote:
c.i. -- Tico is an attorney?!

He does Wills and Real Estate from what I understand. I guess it doesn't take much to pass the bar in Kansas.

Wow .. that's going back to a conversation we had almost a year ago to the day, back when I only called you Chrissee/Harper because you hadn't yet morphed into twin_peaks_nikki or Roxxxxxanne.

But your comprehension skills were just as lacking then as they are now. I no longer do wills or focus on real estate law to any great degree.

Tico -- Put a sock in it. There is no problem with her comprehension skills but you have made a change in your life since you last exchanged information.

This sort of thing proves my point about who authors which insults.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:34 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
plainoldme wrote:

That's been a question in my mind too! LOL According to mm, he and all his friends are getting regular pay raises, and are living very well. Seems they are isolated from the depressed wages, higher medical costs, higher fuel costs, higher college costs, of the middle-class and the poor in our country.

Damn,I didnt know that all of you were so interested in my life.

But,since you are,I will be glad to oblige.

I work for Meuth Concrete in Henderson Ky.
I get 2 pay raises a year.1 in may,and 1 on july 17.
That is my hire date.

I pay $545 a month on my house payment.
My sister lives in El Cajon Ca and pays $3600 a month for a house the exact same size as mine.
I dont have children,so I dont have to worry about the costs of college.

If some of you would actually go out into the world,instead of sitting in your homes all the time,you would realize that costs of living vary wildly all over the country.

Now,if there are any more questions you wanna ask,feel free.
I have nothing to hide.

Advocate said...
Quote:
MM, are you saying that the majority is not always correct

Yes,that is exactly what I am saying

Quote:
but that you and your friends are.

I believe that my view of the world is MORE CORRECT then the liberal view,but that does not mean that the liberal view is incorrect.
Most likely,the truth lies somewhere between the 2 views.

I have never said that my view is the only correct view,nor do I have the right to speak for what others believe.
You should ask them,not me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:45 pm
On July 18, mm wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
plainoldme, I've known for many years how our economy has negatively impacted the middle class and the poor while Bush continues to tell Americans our economy is growing and doing well.

What is the greatest mystery for me is simply that even middle class and poor conservatives have been impacted negatively for several years now, but they continue the same rhetoric as Bush.

I'm missing something important, and I'm not sure what it is.

Maybe its tha fact that the middle class has NOT been affected negatively.

You seem to think that they middle class has been,but you dont know.
I am middle class,and since Bush became President my portfolio has more then doubled in value,my income has risen substantially,my taxes have gone down,my property value has gone up,and I am doing substantially better now then I was when Clinton was President.

Every person I know is experiencing the same thing.
You seem to want to find the worst case scenario's and show them to be everybody.

No, I am not trying to find the worst case scenario: I'm talking about the majority of the middle class and poor based on government statistics. You attempt to find my statements wrong by making statements about yourself and "every person you know." Exactly what I expect from ignorant morons. You also tried to make it personal and attacked me. I rebuffed your challenges. You're one sorry human being.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
On July 18, mm wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
plainoldme, I've known for many years how our economy has negatively impacted the middle class and the poor while Bush continues to tell Americans our economy is growing and doing well.

What is the greatest mystery for me is simply that even middle class and poor conservatives have been impacted negatively for several years now, but they continue the same rhetoric as Bush.

I'm missing something important, and I'm not sure what it is.

I am middle class,and since Bush became President my portfolio has more then doubled in value,my income has risen substantially,my taxes have gone down,my property value has gone up,and I am doing substantially better now then I was when Clinton was President.

Every person I know is experiencing the same thing.
You seem to want to find the worst case scenario's and show them to be everybody.

No, I am not trying to find the worst case scenario: I'm talking about the majority of the middle class and poor based on government statistics. You attempt to find my statements wrong by making statements about yourself and "every person you know." Exactly what I expect from ignorant morons. You also tried to make it personal and attacked me. I rebuffed your challenges. You're one sorry human being.

Where is there a personal attack in what I wrote?
You made a claim,and I provided anecdotal evidence to counter your claim.

In your original statement,you said nothing about govt statistics,you only mentioned your own beliefs and opinions.
So,since you didnt mention any stats at all,how was anyone supposed to know you were talking about them?

I think you need to grow up and stop taking everything personal.
It will drive you into an early grave.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:56 pm
mm wrote:

If I don't know, then the government doesn't know what they're talking about. You'll have to ask them. It seems it's okay for you to make personal comments. What an arse.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:58 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
mm wrote:

If I don't know, then the government doesn't know what they're talking about. You'll have to ask them. It seems it's okay for you to make personal comments. What an arse.

Oh,I get it now.

Saying you dont know something is now considered a personal attack?

If thats the case,then you are guilty of the same offense,hundreds of times.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:00 pm
Thousands, you moron.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:02 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Thousands, you moron.

Well,at least you are adult enough to admit that you are also guilty of personal attacks.
Thats a start.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:37 pm
My personal attacks are the least of it when attacking ignoramuses who continues to ask stupid questions.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 08:42 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
My personal attacks are the least of it when attacking ignoramuses who continues to ask stupid questions.

Again I find it amazing that people who in real life are ignored and laughed at are able to find people to engage them on the internet.
0 Replies