President Bush: Is He a Liar?

Green Witch

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:24 pm
There are whole websites devoted to charting Bush's lies. Here's one of my favorites. plus a sample: The Many Lies of George Dubya Bush

Today's Bush Lie

"[Castro] welcomes sex tourism," Bush told a room of law enforcement officials in Florida, according to the Los Angeles Times. "Here's how he bragged about the industry," Bush said. "This is his quote: 'Cuba has the cleanest and most educated prostitutes in the world.'"

"As it turns out, Bush had lifted that quotation not from an actual Castro speech but rather from a 2001 essay written by then Dartmouth University undergraduate Charles Trumbull. In the essay, Trumbull did appear to quote a Castro speech about prostitution. Sadly, the student made the quotation up.

"According to officials, the actual quotation from Castro's 1992 speech reads as follows: 'There are hookers, but prostitution is not allowed in our country. There are no women forced to sell themselves to a man, to a foreigner, to a tourist. Those who do so do it on their own, voluntarily. We can say that they are highly educated hookers and quite healthy, because we are the country with the lowest number of AIDS cases.'"

"...And this isn't the first time the Internet has baffled Bush. Back in 2003, the President cited another student's thesis when making a case to go to war. The student's [plagiarized and "sexed up"] work ended up in a government document describing Iraq's weapons capability. Not exactly the kind of hard intelligence needed to justify an attack on another country." The Register, 07.28.04
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:31 pm
George Bush doesn't lie. Rather his statements must be considered in the context of what might be called "truthyness". That is they reflect what George might like to be true and his assumption that if he proclaims it loud and long enough might actually become so.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:57 pm
I was going to put up a Bush lie, but I see there are enough to keep Brandon busy for a while, so I'll just bookmark so I can see what Brandon comes up with to refute all these posts.

Looks like he's going to be busy for awhile with this.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:09 pm
Bush Lies In State Of The Union Speech

Bush: "By the year 2042, the entire [social security] system would be exhausted and bankrupt."

In what the BBC calls "highly unusual," a State of the Union Speech was interrupted by a chorus of "No's," booing, and heckles from some of the members of Congress in attendance. This happened immediately after the above Bush lie. As Shields mentioned on the PBS wrap-up, and as Brooks concurred, if adjustments are not made, by 2042, as they have been made before, 3/4 of the funds promised would still be available. The entire system would neither be exhausted nor bankrupt. -- Politex, 02.03.05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:12 pm
Ooooh, cyphercat, you bad.

How about: "we don't do torture".
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:15 pm
Bush repeatedly has claimed to have watched the first airplane striking the World Trade Center on TV just before entering a classroom at a Florida elementary school and thought "'there's one terrible pilot.' And I said, 'It must have been a horrible accident.' But I was whisked off there - I didn't have much time to think about it. And I was sitting in the classroom, and Andy Card, my Chief of Staff, who is sitting over here, walked in and said, `A second plane has hit the tower, America is under attack"

This is impossible since there was no live coverage of the first plane crash and no video emerged until the following day. (3)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 08:14 pm
Not only is cyphercat talented, she's talented too!
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 08:15 pm
This should be good. It's hard to believe that there is someone out there with their head so far into the sand that they think Bush didn't lie.

LIE
No Time for Warrants It could not wait to get a warrant because it needed "to move quickly to detect" plotting of terrorism between people in the United States and abroad. (President Bush 12/19/05)

TRUTH
No Time for Warrants: The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act allows the President to seek a warrant up to 3 days AFTER initiating the wiretap. The President never sought any such authority after the fact for this program.

SOURCE

Bush has told so many lies that it would be impossible to post them all here. Go check out the website Brandon.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 09:40 pm
Just doing my part to spread the good word!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 09:45 pm
Who'll bet me a bag of popcorn jelly beans that Brandon will not darken this thread again?
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 01:39 am
Debra LAW has inspired me to become precise in my thinking. I will try to follow her example although I will never be able to match her brilliance. I have, because of her example, purchased a Legal Dictionary and am attempting to understand its definitions.

One which fascinates me is the legal definition of Lie.

Black's Law Dictionary--Sixth Edition

quote( Capitals mine)

lie- "A falsehood uttered for the PURPOSE OF DECEPTION; AN INTENTIONAL STATEMENT OF AN UNTRUTH DESIGNED TO MISLEAD ANOTHER"

I am certain that many feel that it is not difficult to decide that a person is a "liar" but, in a court of law, it is necessary that those who make such a charge prove it in terms of the definition above.

When one reviews the statements of President William Jefferson Clinton, in his depositions, some would say that common sense reveals him to be a liar. But such is not the case, legally, for many of his utterances.

The reason that President William Jefferson Clinton was not charged with perjury is that. as Clinton's defenders emphasized,the crime of perjury is narrowly defined in federal law. A false statement under oath is not enough. The statement must be deliberately false, that is, a lie; it must be material to some issue in the proceeding in which it is made; and it must be false rather than merely misleading.

That is why, when Paula Jones's lawyers asked Clinton about his relationship with Monica Lewinsky, many of his answers would not expose him to prosecution for perjury.

Paula Jones'lawyers were not skillful enough to ask him about specific sex acts. They did not define those acts specifically enough. Therefore, William Jefferson Clinton could not be charged with perjury on those counts.

It is easy enough to call Clinton a liar on those counts. It is, under the law, difficult to prove that he did indeed lie.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:51 am
Green Witch wrote:
Who'll bet me a bag of popcorn jelly beans that Brandon will not darken this thread again?

Yer on. He just needs tome to prepare his carefully worded, obfuscated denial.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:54 am
"There are no war plans on my desk".
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:02 am
Um, blatham, that one doesn't count.

The war plans were IN his desk.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:12 am
I feel sorry for you A2K liberals, the way Brandon has been ripping you to shreds, rendering your offerings useless with his masterful debate skills and proving, from what I have read, that George W. Bush has never, ever, under any circumstance, uttered a single prevarication.

Bravo, Brandon, bravo!
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:39 am
Brandon9000
Quote:
President Bush: Is He a Liar?

Brandon, your thread title should have been 'President Bush: He Is a Liar.'
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:21 am
Green Witch wrote:

Read the opening post. I neither billed nor intended this as a thread I would dominate. Many of these posts I could respond to easily, as I have responded to similar posts on this board for years, but I have described this thread merely as a place where the pros and cons would have a place to reach conclusions, and I won't be lured into abandoning my original conception for it. I may or may not take the pro-Bush position from time to time in here.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:26 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I feel sorry for you A2K liberals, the way Brandon has been ripping you to shreds, rendering your offerings useless with his masterful debate skills and proving, from what I have read, that George W. Bush has never, ever, under any circumstance, uttered a single prevarication.

Bravo, Brandon, bravo!

As stated very clearly in my opening post, this was not to be a place where I would champion the pro-Bush point of view. It is intended as a place where all of the members with an interest in this issue can come to try to work out what the truth of this matter is. I have posted on this topic frequently all over the board for years, but this is not supposed to be my private debating thread. Re-read my description of this thread in the first post.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:34 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Read the opening post. I neither billed nor intended this as a thread I would dominate. Many of these posts I could respond to easily, as I have responded to similar posts on this board for years, but I have described this thread merely as a place where the pros and cons would have a place to reach conclusions, and I won't be lured into abandoning my original conception for it. I may or may not take the pro-Bush position from time to time in here.

Brandon9000 wrote:
It is undeniable that in a debate of any sort, a statement of the form, "I could beat your argument, but I won't lower myself to address it," is ultimately equivalent to saying "I cannot defend my viewpoint." It is simply one of several techniques to pretend to prevail, while not having to go through the troublesome exercise of actually showing the other person's logic to be wrong.

Don't lower yourself Brandon. There is nothing to defend, not while Bush has such a clear plan for victory in Iraq after being forced to invade because of Al Qaeda.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:40 am
How many of you remember the speeches given by Bush and his administration prior to the invasion of Iraq. In these speeches the Bush administration, and especially Bush, always mentioned the words 9/11, terrorist and Osama bin Laden whenever they spoke about Saddam Hussein. These words were mentioned either in the same sentence or a sentence prior to or following Saddam's name. This was a rule for all in the Bush administration giving speeches.

Without directly saying so they, by implication, made America believe that Saddam Hussein helped Osama bin Laden plan the 9/11 attack. They knew by using word association ignorant Americans angry about the 9/11 attack would believe that Saddam Hussein was involved.

It worked. Most Americans believed, and many today still believe, that Saddam Hussein helped plan the 9/11 attack. This word association was delibertly used to implant the knowling false idea that Saddam and 9/11 were connected.

What did Bernard say a lie was?

Quote:
lie- "A falsehood uttered for the PURPOSE OF DECEPTION; AN INTENTIONAL STATEMENT OF AN UNTRUTH DESIGNED TO MISLEAD ANOTHER"

Quote:
A method Bush Inc used was "intent to deceive" by word association. An analysis revealed that on over 100 occasions Bush and Gang had used Saddam and 9-11 in the same sentence to convey an association. Bush did it in 8 sentences during one speech. How else could 70% come to believe there was an association? The same technique was used on Saddam-Osama.
- From Political Historian Clarence Swinney

Source
Today we see that Bush is playing his word association game again; Iran/nuclear...Bush/Blair/peace...America/democracy...!
0 Replies