President Bush: Is He a Liar?

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:39 pm
The President has often been accused of lying by his political opponents. I am starting this thread so that his opponents can try to demonstrate that the accusation is true, and his supporters can try to show that it's false.

What I ask is that anyone who wishes to show that he does lie state in each post:

1. A single quotation of the President's which is a lie
2. A bit of evidence, or an argument to demonstrate that it's a lie.

I request, though, that no one simply post a huge list of vague accusations of lying without evidence, or a link to such. Use your own words, not someone else's, and please limit yourself to one lie per post, so that the matter can be discussed in an orderly way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 76,964 • Replies: 2,615
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:48 pm
Why, a course not . . . butter wouldn't melt in that boy's mouth . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:51 pm
One lie per post? Gonna be an extra long thread.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:52 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
One lie per post? Gonna be an extra long thread.

Not so far. Can you start?
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:54 pm
"We must uncover every detail and learn every lesson of September the 11th." Bush said this in November 2002, as he appointed Henry Kissinger to be chairman of an independent 9/11 commission that Bush had orignially opposed. (Kissinger lasted two weeks in the job.) But Bush has not encouraged the uncovering of every detail. His administration did not turn over information to the congressional 9/11 inquiry about intelligence warnings the White House reviewed before 9/11. The administration also refused to say whether certain pre-9/11 intelligence warnings'including a July 2001 report noting that Osama bin Laden was poised to launch a "spectacular" attack "designed to inflict mass casualties against U.S. facilities or interests"'were shared with Bush and what he did in response, if he had received them. Moreover, the administration claimed that Bush's awareness of these warnings (not the warnings themselves) was classified information'an argument unprecedented in the modern history of national security secrets. Bush also refused to let the congressional inquiry release the portion of its final report that concerned connections between the 9/11 hijackers and Saudi citizens or officials. By resorting to such secrecy'which happened to keep hidden information that might be embarrassing or inconvenient for the Bush administration--Bush made it impossible for investigators to "uncover every detail" and for the nation to "learn every lesson."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:01 pm
I'm pretty sure Bush lied when he said "I have a dream."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:01 pm
"I am a uniter, not a divider"

quod erat demonstrandum
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:05 pm
This one is one of my personal favorites:

He said this at a presentation months after approving the bypassing of the special courts.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7789/bushquote7dw.jpg

Here's another:
"I've been to war. I've raised twins. If I had a choice, I'd rather go to war." --CNN, 01.27.02

He's never been to war.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:25 pm
So, Brandon . . . you're kinda quiet over there . . . nothing to say?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:26 pm
He'll be here, telling one and all that there's still no shred of evidence being offered.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:30 pm
Shrotly thereafter, he'll contend that no one has answered his thesis, and that everyone has indulged in personal attacks instead.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:31 pm
George Bush is like the boy who cried wolf. His statements repeatedly have had little contact with reality. Brandon can call them misinterpretation, misreporting, honest change of mind (AKA flip-flopping), faulty intelligence, political malice by his opponents, or whatever he wants to call them. But they happen again and again. 60% of the public thinks the administration lies, because the administration's statements so often prove to be false that it strains credulity to believe it could happen by chance. Once public faith in honesty is lost, it is essentially never regained. Bush has lost the public's faith. Face it, Brandon, he lost it for good cause, and he's in trouble.

Start with his lie before he was even elected, that he would support the Kyoto Accord.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:44 pm
One of these statements is a lie:

Quote:
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

Quote:
"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:53 pm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:54 pm
But thanks to the President's resolve and clear-sighted determination to do right by the people of Iraq, that no longer matters.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:57 pm
Yoohoo . . . Brandon . . . where'd ya go, Buddy?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:08 pm
Yep! This is going to be a long thread:

Quote:
"We have also discovered through intelligence
that Iraq has a growing fleet of manned and unmanned aerial vehicles that could be used to disperse chemical or biological weapons across broad areas."

State of the Union Address - 1/28/2003
Claim:
Iraq has a growing fleet of planes capable of dispersing chemical weapons almost anywhere in the world

Not True

Zero Aerial Vehicles Found
Not a single aerial vehicle capable of dispersing chemical or biological weapons, has been found anywhere in Iraq
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:10 pm
Fortunately, President Bush's clear-sighted vision and his resolution will lead us from darkness into the sunny uplands of victory.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:12 pm
President Bush: Is He A Liar?

Only if your definition of "liar" is a man with a clear vision for success and unflagging determination to bring democracy to a downtrodden people!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:21 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
LIES

1. "I want to thank my friend, Sen. Bill Frist, for joining us today. … He married a Texas girl, I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me." —Nashville, Tennessee, May 27, 2004.

George W Bush is a male.

Well, maybe Bush wasn't lying entirely. Maybe he's a "girly-boy." We should ask our country's foremost authority on girly boys whether Bush is truly a girl. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, would you please step forward and address this important issue of presidential credibility. . . .
0 Replies