President Bush: Is He a Liar?

Green Witch

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 08:45 pm
Never thought this thread would go to 202 pages.
Anyone change anyone's mind yet?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 08:48 pm
Quote:
Tico -- Put a sock in it. There is no problem with her comprehension skills but you have made a change in your life since you last exchanged information.

This sort of thing proves my point about who authors which insults.

Not only that but he is also libeling me as I never posted under any other name except Roxxxanne. Perhaps he is no longer practicing law at all because he was disbarred. It would not surprise me in the least.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:48 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne/Chrissee/Harper/Nikkki wrote:
plainoldme wrote:
c.i. -- Tico is an attorney?!

He does Wills and Real Estate from what I understand. I guess it doesn't take much to pass the bar in Kansas.

Wow .. that's going back to a conversation we had almost a year ago to the day, back when I only called you Chrissee/Harper because you hadn't yet morphed into twin_peaks_nikki or Roxxxxxanne.

But your comprehension skills were just as lacking then as they are now. I no longer do wills or focus on real estate law to any great degree.

Tico -- Put a sock in it. There is no problem with her comprehension skills but you have made a change in your life since you last exchanged information.

No, I've made no change since she and I last talked about it. Why would you assume that I had?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:54 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Quote:

Not only that but he is also libeling me as I never posted under any other name except Roxxxanne. Perhaps he is no longer practicing law at all because he was disbarred. It would not surprise me in the least.

You are such a liar.

Just type the word "denialistas" into the A2K search function and examine who has used that word: Roxxanne, twin_peaks_nikki, Chrissee, and a handful of persons quoting her.

If anyone still questions whether Roxxxanne is lying about never posting under any other name, I'd be happy to post links to the posts where I have provided additional proof.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:58 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Quote:

You are such a liar.

Just type the word "denialistas" into the A2K search function and examine who has used that word: Roxxanne, twin_peaks_nikki, Chrissee, and a handful of persons quoting her.

If anyone still questions whether Roxxxanne is lying about never posting under any other name, I'd be happy to post links to the posts where I have provided additional proof.

You are the liar. Find some other victim to stalk and harass. Or, better yet, get help. Is this the type of behaviour that got you disbarred?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:28 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Quote:

You are such a liar.

You are the liar. Find some other victim to stalk and harass. Or, better yet, get help. Is this the type of behaviour that got you disbarred?

I wouldn't keep bringing it up if you wouldn't keep lying about it. Have you spoken to your therapist about your pathological lying?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 11:12 pm
How emotionally disturbed does an individual have to be to be who claims to be a lawyer yet stalks women on the internet manufacturing allegations that she has (horrors!) posted under another name?

Tico is projecting his pathology to me. He is a liar and a libeler. I don't have a therapist but it is crystal clear who it is that needs one.

Get help.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:13 am
Ticomaya wrote:
blatham wrote:
tico said
Quote:
You've managed to convince yourself that Hughes is a liar .... congratulations. (And, BTW, I'm not sure if I could care any less about this than I do at the moment -- which I'm sure you will find as another flaw in my character.) But you should not give yourself points in "personal integrity" as a consequence. I do not share your predilection towards assuming someone is a liar based solely on the leveling of a charge, and the presence of a motivation to lie. I did not do it to Clinton, I have not done it to Bush, and I see no reason to do it to Hughes. But the fact that you've cast aspersions on my character for not doing so says more about yours than mine, IMO.

Of course, it isn't merely the "leveling of a charge". Tucker Carlson's witnessing of the matter puts it in quite another category. And rather obviously, one of them is lying so motive is important.

Considering rules of evidence, the principles and rationale behind the need for them and the civil or justice consequences for ignoring them, it seems rather unbalanced that you'd need a trial by jury in this case to give yourself licence to say she lied (with what real consequence for anyone?) but at the same time you are quite happy to see most of those principles and rationales eviscerated in another sphere where the consequences have reached as far as torture and death.

Please explain the bolded portion above. Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else?

Quote:
Yes, that is an integrity, justice, truth and character issue. I like you. To see you go so far off the rails baffles me entirely.

What's baffling is your insistence that I must acknowledge Karen Hughes to be a liar simply based on Tucker Carlson's say so. Do you have some specifics? Does Carlson enunciate a specific lie that he caught her telling, or is he completely generic in his accusation? I don't know Carlson's level of integrity any more than I know Hughes (and neither do you I suspect), yet you are baffled by my reluctance to presume Carlson is without error and Hughes is a liar, simply based on Carlson's one-sided account. As I said, your position here is the truly baffling one.

In response to your first question:
To your mind (at least insofar as your mind is actually reflected by your arguments) it is an injustice to charge or conclude that Hughes has lied even where she and Carlson, both conservatives, both Republicans, have given directly contradictory reports of an event, and even where Hughes has an obvious motive to lie and Carlson does not. Being contradictory, one must be false, per a fundamental axiom of logic. The nature of the matter rules out either even the most minimal chance of 'forgetfulness' or misapprehension as factors to account for the contradiction. The evidentiary or justice reason which your arguments here rely upon are that one ought not to make accusations about another with insufficient evidence because an individual can be unjustly damaged where such evidentiary rules are ignored. Perhaps too, you hold to a related rigorous epistemological standard...people ought not to suggest they "know" or that a matter is "factual" in such a case as this.

Yet, contrast your evidentiary or justice or epistemological concerns here with your stance on the treatment of people rounded up in Afghanistan often because they were merely within a certain targeted geography, held without access to legal help for indeterminate periods of time, subject to treatment which falls under the definitions of "torture" in both American military codes and international codes to which the US is signatory.

As regards the second part of your post:
Perhaps you actually ought to have read the materials. Again, Carlson wrote a book several years ago wherein he stated that while on a AF1 flight with Bush and with Hughes present during the conversations, he head Bush use the F word a number of times. Hughes later denied the truth of this account, saying Bush had never used the F word on that flight, and one instance of that denial was in a phone conversation with Carlson.

The entire and only reason I brought this matter up at all was to make a measure of you and your participation here. I have absolutely no judgement to make on Bush using or not using the F word, nor Cheney, nor anyone else. I consider such as important or revelatory as what side of the head one might part his hair.

I wanted to see if we might find common ground through addressing a principle (the desireability of honesty and integrity in our politicians). I wished to measure whether you would be able to rise above loyalty to party.

It isn't a happy thing to find you can't seem to do this.

We won't be talking again on political matters.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:22 am
Amen, Blatham. And bravo.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:14 am
Quote:
We won't be talking again on political matters.

That's certainly your choice, Bernie.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:33 am
Green Witch wrote:

If I recall correctly, Greenwitch, someone on page 175 wavered slightly.

There was a hint of indecision.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:55 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

There was a hint of indecision.

Liar. It was page 178.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:55 pm
Quote:

Couldn't help it, to much Southern Comfort.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 01:13 pm
from William Rivers Pitt:

Having a drunk for a president is manageable. Having a stone bozo for a president, on the other hand, is a calamity of global proportions.

Let's take a walk through the last few days. George winged off to Russia for trade talks at the G-8 summit, and managed in the course of 100 hours to embarrass himself and our entire country. Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is smarter than Bush by several orders of magnitude, insulted George in front of the international press corps with a tight quip about "democracy" in Iraq. No trade deal got done. The whole thing was a humiliating waste of time, captured best by all the photos of Bush and Putin together. In each and every one of them, Putin is looking at George with an expression that somehow conveyed disgust, disdain and awe simultaneously.

Putin's disgust and disdain are easily understood - the poor guy was trapped in a room with our knucklehead president for hours, after all - but the awe requires notice. What, Putin must have thought, is this fool doing running a country?

After that came the much-noted open-mike gaffe, during which George dropped an s-bomb while discussing the Middle East crisis with British Prime Minister Tony Blair. The cussing doesn't trouble me - those who know say that John F. Kennedy swore like a sailor whenever he talked shop - but the rest of the scene was like something out of a high school cafeteria. Bush sat there, talking with what looked like seventeen doughnuts stuffed into his gob, while poor Tony tried to discuss matters of life and death.

You have to listen to the audio to get a full grasp of what transpired. It wasn't just the dialogue. It was the tone in Blair's voice. He sounded for all the world like a teacher attempting to explain something to an exceptionally dull student. His tone suggested infinite patience and a touch of true sadness, as if he could not quite believe he was speaking this way to an American president.

"It takes him eight hours to fly home," said George at one point during the open-mike massacre. "Eight hours. Russia's big and so is China." He was, presumably, speaking to someone about Chinese President Hu Jintao's travel requirements, but really now. Huffington Post writer Cenk Uygur captured the unbelievable vapidity of the discourse.

"Russia's big and so is China?" exclaimed Uygur. "This guys sounds like a third grader. Do you know anyone who would have a conversation like this with their neighbor, let alone a business associate, let alone a world leader? Who's proud to know that Russia is big and so is China? If someone is this ignorant, they're usually embarrassed and try not to talk much. But this guy is so dumb he has no idea how dumb he is. This sounds like a conversation you might have with a child, a mentally challenged child. Johnny, do you know how big Russia is? How about China? This would all be unfortunate if George were your dentist, or worse yet, your accountant. But he is the leader of the free world. This man makes life or death decisions every day. If you say you're not scared about that, you're lying."

Then came the pig-roast thing. Newsday described it best: "As Israeli warplanes were preparing an attack on Lebanon Thursday afternoon, and a Lebanese militia was aiming a rocket at the ancient Israeli city of Safed, President George W. Bush was bantering with reporters in Germany about a pig. Bush kept bringing up the roast wild boar he was about to dine on at a banquet that night, even when asked about the swelling crisis in the Middle East, where pig meat is forbidden to religious Jews and Muslims. 'Does it concern you that the Beirut airport has been bombed?' a reporter asked. 'And do you see a risk of triggering a wider war?' 'I thought you were going to ask me about the pig,' Bush replied blithely. Then he brought the pig up again - for the fifth time - before giving a long answer that ended with his saying Israel needed to protect itself."

After this came the moment when George tried to give German Chancellor Angela Merkel a back massage while she was speaking to someone at the summit table. He sidled up behind her and just started rubbing. Merkel's reaction was instantaneous and dramatic: she flinched, flailed her arms up and basically waved the president of the United States away from her. Her reaction would have been no different if Bush had dropped a live catfish down the back of her shirt.

What's next? Will George go to the United Nations, sit on Kofi Annan's head, and fart like some bratty brother tormenting a sibling? Will the cameras catch him playing penny hockey during Middle East peace negotiations? You can't say it'll never happen. It reminds me of the scene from "Caddyshack" where the golfers are hiding in the bushes and betting on whether the Smails kid picks his nose. It is not too farfetched a concept to believe that the other G-8 leaders were doing something very similar while watching Bush.

There were, by my count, no less than twenty different moments in the last few days where George brought shame and disgrace upon this country. He did not do this by being too tough, or too soft, or too strident. He did this simply by being himself. His head is an echo chamber where very stupid bats roost. He has the intellect of a bag of rocks. Maybe it's impolite to say this, but it has to be said.

And yeah, Mr. Uygur, it is really, really scary. I wish the man were a drunk. I'd sleep better, and so would the world.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 02:24 pm
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 01:59 am
Plain Ol Me has clearly shown her ignorance on matters of literature. She is also plainly( she is, after all, plain ol) ignorant of who she is quoting-

William Rivers Pitt--

I would suggest that she look up Mr. Pitt; read where he comes from and what his background is and then she may not be so eager to present him as a source.

Pitt is the left wing's Limbaugh and like him a liar and exaggerator par excellence.

Plain Ol Me obviously knows little about the sources she uses!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:23 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Someone on Greater Boston's Friday edition known as, "Beat the Press," pointed out that Tucker Carlson will do anything to keep his face before the public.

I can't even say stranger things have happened. Click. Definitely the weirdest thing in the paper this morning.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 01:32 am
What about lying?

What is the legal definition of Lie?

Black's Law Dictionary--Sixth Edition

quote( Capitals mine)

lie- "A falsehood uttered for the PURPOSE OF DECEPTION; AN INTENTIONAL STATEMENT OF AN UNTRUTH DESIGNED TO MISLEAD ANOTHER"

I am certain that many feel that it is not difficult to decide that a person is a "liar" but, in a court of law, it is necessary that those who make such a charge prove it in terms of the definition above.

When one reviews the statements of President William Jefferson Clinton, in his depositions, some would say that common sense reveals him to be a liar. But such is not the case, legally, for many of his utterances.

The reason that President William Jefferson Clinton was not charged with perjury is that. as Clinton's defenders emphasized,the crime of perjury is narrowly defined in federal law. A false statement under oath is not enough. The statement must be deliberately false, that is, a lie; it must be material to some issue in the proceeding in which it is made; and it must be false rather than merely misleading.

That is why, when Paula Jones's lawyers asked Clinton about his relationship with Monica Lewinsky, many of his answers would not expose him to prosecution for perjury.

Paula Jones'lawyers were not skillful enough to ask him about specific sex acts. They did not define those acts specifically enough. Therefore, William Jefferson Clinton could not be charged with perjury on those counts.

It is easy enough to call Clinton a liar on those counts. It is, under the law, difficult to prove that he did indeed lie.

Those partisans who wish to brand President Bush as a liar obviously do not know the legal definition of the term!!!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 04:44 am
Cute piece, bethie.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:20 am
McCain: Americans misled on Iraq
0 Replies