Public Fighting

Eva

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 08:56 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I would never hit a woman. Never, ever, never hit a woman.

I'LL SHAKE THE **** OUT OF HER THOUGH!

C'mon, big guy. Try it.

Better not plan on sleeping afterward, though. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

JohnCarter

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:54 am
Synonymph wrote:
Your husband is an ass.

Her husband acted like an ass in this particular situation. Screwing up and being an ass occasionally is an unfortunate part of the human condition. If he is like that all the time then perhaps he is an ass.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:39 am
No, he is an arse and she's an enabler. She documents several situations. It's a trend.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:56 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Him (whispering): Sometimes you make me so mad I could just hit you to teach you.

Me (very loud in a room full of diners): IF YOU EVER LAY A HAND ON ME, I WILL PICK UP A CHAIR (pointing) AND SMASH IT OVER YOUR F*CKING HEAD!!!

He immediatly backed off walked out, we got in the car (I was driving) I took him back to his place...said "get out" and that was it.

Go Chai!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:20 am
Synonymph wrote:
No, he is an arse and she's an enabler. She documents several situations. It's a trend.

Oh, but that's just so un-PC syn...how can you say that about someone when it's going to make them feel "less than"

Oh wait, you can't "make" anyone feel something...you own your own feelings and are responsible for your reactions to other words. Plus, maybe the other person was just expressing something in a way you're having trouble assimilating Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

NIMH- honestly, I didn't think it was any big deal. I wonder if more people reacted to a threat that way if there would be less physical abuse going around.

I heard something interesting about abused wives once during an interview with some expert.
It was said that physical abuse always ends in some way...either one of the parties leaves, someone dies, or the abuse just stops.

One of the ways the abuse stops is when both the man and the woman become older and either (a) the abuser just gets tired of or too weak to hit (b) as they become older, their physical strength starts to become equal, and one day, the abused one just starts giving it back, and the abuser stops.

I like that last idea a lot. Some 75 year old woman realizing she's as strong as her 79 year old husband and just whalloping back. I'd pay money to see that.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:22 am
Quote:
Anyway, back to punching the girl out....I have personally known women who really take advantage of that "don't ever hit a girl" stuff they learned.

Uhhum, my philosphy is: If your man enough to dish it out, be man enough to take it!

KK Your husband's depression is not the basis to his personality flaws. He's an ASS...simple as that. A lil man with low self-esteem that has to prove his worth by trying to be something he's not...MACHO!

Quote:

Uhhummm!

Quote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Him (whispering): Sometimes you make me so mad I could just hit you to teach you.

Me (very loud in a room full of diners): IF YOU EVER LAY A HAND ON ME, I WILL PICK UP A CHAIR (pointing) AND SMASH IT OVER YOUR F*CKING HEAD!!!

He immediatly backed off walked out, we got in the car (I was driving) I took him back to his place...said "get out" and that was it.

Go Chai!!

My husband decided one night..years ago, that he wanted to fight, fist fight. I could tell what was coming by the way he was talking and throwing his hands around. I tried to avoid the situation, but there was no getting away from it. He slapped, shoved....and screamed, then I doe popped him off his feet. Told him, "If you wanna fight, bring it on buddy...I'm not going to take your sh!t..!!"

That ended that.......
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:23 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Some 75 year old woman realizing she's as strong as her 79 year old husband and just whalloping back. I'd pay money to see that.

Watch Jerry Springer. It's bound to come up.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:27 am
Re: Public Fighting
kitkat_bar wrote:

My husband has this...I'd love to call it a disorder...where when he gets it in his mind to do something, I better damn well feel the same way...

His new obsession is working out, therefore it should be mine as well...

Sounds like my ex-husband. He was much more passive-aggressive than your husband, but I was the center of his world and he expected to be my only world. Leave now, it won't change.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:29 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:
My husband decided one night..years ago, that he wanted to fight, fist fight. I could tell what was coming by the way he was talking and throwing his hands around. I tried to avoid the situation, but there was no getting away from it. He slapped, shoved....and screamed, then I doe popped him off his feet. Told him, "If you wanna fight, bring it on buddy...I'm not going to take your sh!t..!!"

That ended that.......

I always said....If you're gonna hit me, you better make damn sure I can't get up.

tin - I don't mean in the Jerry Springer way...more like in Tina Turner finally showing Ike what she's made of.

Really, I'm not at all a violent person, but for someone who's been knocked around, to be able to give some of it back....cool.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:33 am
Quote:
I always said....If you're gonna hit me, you better make damn sure I can't get up.

Thats what I have always said tooo....!
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:36 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Synonymph wrote:

Oh, but that's just so un-PC syn...how can you say that about someone when it's going to make them feel "less than"

Oh wait, you can't "make" anyone feel something...you own your own feelings and are responsible for your reactions to other words. Plus, maybe the other person was just expressing something in a way you're having trouble assimilating Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Sorry, Chai! I must need sensitivity training!
0 Replies

JohnCarter

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 04:17 pm
Synonymph wrote:

If you have read several of her posts were this womans husband bad behavior is written about your comments are more understandable. Of course her husband is not here to defend himself. For what it's worth her actions as told in her post did not seem like enableing.

Quote:

Very little in known about the actual number of men who are in a domestic relationship in which they are abused or treated violently by women. In 100 domestic violence situations approximately 40 cases involve violence by women against men. An estimated 400,000 women per year are abused or treated violently in the United States by their spouse or intimate partner. This means that roughly 300,000 to 400,000 men are treated violently by their wife or girl friend.

There are many reasons why we don't know more about domestic abuse and violence against men. First of all, the incidence of domestic violence reported men appears to be so low that it is hard to get reliable estimates. In addition, it has taken years of advocacy and support to encourage women to report domestic violence. Virtually nothing has been done to encourage men to report abuse. The idea that men could be victims of domestic abuse and violence is so unthinkable that many men will not even attempt to report the situation.

It could be me being overly sensitive but it seems this thread has a decidedly anti-male bias. You guys do realize that men and women are pretty evenly distributed on the jerk/non-jerk spectrum as we all all human beings? I will acknowledge that on average men are bigger and stronger leading to a tendancy for abuse statistics to show a higher percentage of men abusing.

I had one girlfriend(now ex) who pushed, hit, and screamed at me as I was leaving our abode (for the last time). I shruged it off as I tried to get out of the house with my belongings. When she realized she could not get me to stay she picked up the phone and threatened to call the police. If she had I would have been screwed despite her actions and my remaining 100 percent non-physical. I believe most states have a mandatory arrest for any domestic disputes (and guess who would have been arrested).

She called me a week later asking to get back together but any chance of us getting back together was destroyed by her abusive behavior.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 04:52 pm
JohnCarter wrote:
I believe most states have a mandatory arrest for any domestic disputes (and guess who would have been arrested).

You are correct. The male is assumed to be the abuser, unless the police see the woman being abusive or the male is the only one with any wounds. And even in the latter case, if the female is the one that initiated the phone call, there is still a chance the male may go anyway.
And stats will show that the majority, if not the vast majority, of the time, the male is the abuser.
http://issues.families.com/spouse-abuse-1563-1568-iemf
0 Replies

JohnCarter

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:25 pm
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
JohnCarter wrote:
I believe most states have a mandatory arrest for any domestic disputes (and guess who would have been arrested).

You are correct. The male is assumed to be the abuser, unless the police see the woman being abusive or the male is the only one with any wounds. And even in the latter case, if the female is the one that initiated the phone call, there is still a chance the male may go anyway.
And stats will show that the majority, if not the vast majority, of the time, the male is the abuser.
http://issues.families.com/spouse-abuse-1563-1568-iemf

Stats vs. stats. I am not sure and won't pretend to be an expert except to put in that my life experience has shown the sexes are equally able to abuse, act badily, or be good people. I know I am not violent and that when a woman loses control I can be screwed. Luckily the vast majority of women I have known have not been violent.

http://www.coeffic.demon.co.uk/descrim.htm
Quote:
BBC Here and Now MORI Poll
All serious studies into domestic violence show a roughly equal balance between the genders. Some studies have shown that there is a higher rate of domestic violence amongst lesbian than heterosexual couples.poll undertaken by MORI and commissioned by Here and Now had these main findings:

One in five (18 percent) of men have been victims of domestic violence by a wife or female partner as opposed to 13 percent of women by a man.

One in nine women admit to having used physical aggression against a husband or male partner (compared to one in ten men)

14 percent of men say that they have been slapped by a partner (compared to 9 percent of women)

11 percent of men have had a partner threaten to throw something heavy at them (compared to 8 percent of women)

Only 4 percent of women explained that their behavior (either verbal or physical) was because of drink or drugs (compared to ten percent of men)

Nearly half (47 percent) of women say that their behaviour (physical or verbal aggression or verbal reasoning) was because "it was the only way I could get through to him"

Working class men (20 percent) are more likely to have been subjected to physical agression by a wife or female partner than upper or middle class men (15 percent)

Here and Now's survey reveals that fifteen percent (6.3 million people) of the population say that they have been subjected to physical agression by a husband/wife or hetrosexual partner.

MORI interviewed a representitive quota sample of 1,978 adults in Great Britain. 1,865 of whom had ever been in a personal relationship with the opposite sex.

Field work was conducted from 17-21 November 1994 in 150 constituencies. All interviews were conducted face to face in home employing a self completion technique. Data have been weighted to the known profile of the British population.

Erin Pitzey
Following is a quote from Erin Pitzey (received in a personal email) who as the founder of the world's first women refuge should be qualified to comment. She said:

"...it saddens me that we even have to have a women's movement and a men's movement but really there was no choice. I couldn't stop the feminist movement from hi-jacking my work in London at my refuge in Chiswick. They wanted funding and my work, twenty-five years ago - as the first refuge in the world seemed heaven sent for them. No matter that I told them that out of the first hundred women that came into Chiswick sixty-two were as violent as the men they left. I couldn't get any coverage for the truth. 'All men are bastards and rapists' is the only truth that the women's movement were prepared to hear....Now, with the help of this evil movement father's role in family life seems to be irrelevant....."
These seem to be very wise words but Erin received death threats from women just for standing up and speaking out against anti-male hatred propaganda.

Reading this thread I see an instance of a woman punching her husband as he was coming at her moving his hands like he might hit her. Another woman yells out in a public place that she will break a chair over her boyfriends head after an assumed threat. If the situations were reversed, a man punching his wife coming at him moving her hands or a man yelling out in public that he is going to break a chair over his girlfriends head then the man in these situations would probably be put in jail. In any case he would not be bragging about it on a public board.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:32 pm
Wow. It very much is stats vs. stats. That's interesting that those two sites say two very different things about abuse rates.
I know some women that could handle anything any men I know throw their way, too. But they are genuinly nice people. And if a man did beat on his wife/significant other/whomever, I would hope he wouldn't post about it. But, sadly, I've been proven wrong before. Who knows what some people will brag about.
Thanks for posting that set of stats. Very enlightening.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:42 pm
JohnCarter--

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:59 pm
Quote:
Reading this thread I see an instance of a woman punching her husband as he was coming at her moving his hands like he might hit her.

Excuse me? He DID hit ME! I did nothing to provoke this arguement except to get my child from camp late one night after he'd gotten drunk. I embarrassed him in front of another woman, who in which I had shoved down my throat repeatedly for months for being so damned perfect. He thought she had hung the moon, and by me coming back into camp a couple of hours later, walking up and getting my son who was asleep in his truck, PISSED HIM OFF!

I said nothing, but gathered up my child, and headed home. And you damned straight I was pissed. That was my child lying asleep in a truck seat, and it was the dead of winter...all because daddy thought he was being cute and had too much to drink. Besides, he wasn't drinking and driving with him. Thats not allowed!

When he entered into the house, the fight was on. He went to running his mouth.....I backed away, knowing that this wasn't a normal reaction of his, plus the alcohol meant trouble. He definetly had intentions of hurting me...

In 19 years of marriage, this was the second time he's ever attempted it...or probably EVER crossed his mind.

He slapped me, the whole time screaming at me...at how much of a worthless bitch I was...., I doe popped him took him off his feet, and told him in a no holds barred manner, "IF you want to F'n fight, come on...I'll fight ya."

Am I wrong? Hell no...I'm not wrong. He knew it too. Matter of fact, I just about broke his hand...if you really want to know the truth of the matter.

I'll be damned if I'm going to be a statistic, I'm not dainty, and damned sure not going to stand there and let him beat the hell out of me...just because I'm a female...SORRY!

So..no I wasn't MEN BASHING, I WAS STATING a TRUTH.

I WILL NOT be SLAPPED, KICKED, or BEAT...I am capable of handling matters myself. And I'll be damned to take that crap and play the abuse card later on, knowing damned good and well I could have stopped it!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 09:03 pm
Quote:
Another woman yells out in a public place that she will break a chair over her boyfriends head after an assumed threat.

How many other women assumed that he threatened them? I applaude her for doing that. Maybe he'll think twice before he whispers something in another ladies ear!
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 09:33 pm
Again...can't say that has ever happened to me. We have gotten into physical fights before. We were both drinking and usually one thing leads to another and he ended up getting claw marks all over his chest. But it takes alot to get me to that kind of a violent level. I won't get there unless I feel threatened.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 09:48 pm
KK, I have never touched my husband in a violent manner, except for this time, and the other time that he thought he wanted to bale on it.

The first time was probably 17 years ago, alcohol was involved, he hit me...I kicked him. We actually had a fist fight that go around.

It took up until probably 3 years ago, for him to want to do it again. This time, I was even more unhospitable about it.

To say that he apologized repeatedly is not saying enough. It was an actual heartfelt apology. He also told me, "God help any man that decides they want to fight you, they'd better eat their damned wheaties first cause you'd be hard to handle."

YOU DAMNED SKIPPY! I will not stand there and take that! I will fight back! But I will not start it!

We are social drinkers. I can handle my alcohol consumption...he never could. He grow to be ten foot tall and bullet proof, escpecially if he was drinking bourbon. I can count on one hand the drinks he's had since that night 3 years ago....

I forgive him. But...never again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

KK, maybe you and yours need to leave the alcohol alone.....

And I'm sorry, but like I said earlier, If your man enough to dish it out, you'd better be man enough to take it. Even scratches on his chest can get you in trouble....he's marked, you aren't.

You say its never happened to you? But...there isn't any difference in the abuse..if it gets physical.

Quote:
Again...can't say that has ever happened to me. We have gotten into physical fights before. We were both drinking and usually one thing leads to another and he ended up getting claw marks all over his chest. But it takes alot to get me to that kind of a violent level. I won't get there unless I feel threatened.

Whats the difference?
0 Replies