The Worst President in History?

blatham

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 02:11 pm
okie

There's much I miss about living where I did before. Kayaking was a block away, skiing thirty minutes, etc. But any place has its own charms. And I do tend to get on with most people no matter where I am.

No urge to change citizenship. No great reason not to either. I'm not nationalistic in that sort of way. As to voting here, my ex-wife is American and she's not much interested in politics so she asks me who she ought to vote for. So I get a vote in any case. Sorry 'bout that.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 03:08 pm
Your ex-wife asks you who she should vote for!!!! How do you know she doesn't vote the opposite way after she learns your recommendation?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 03:18 pm
We're buds.
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:58 pm
Those who have not followed the plight of African-Americans in the USA do not know the truth but Jesse Jackson knows. The reverend Jackson has pointed out that in order to be racist, one must have substantial institutional power on your side. Blacks have no institutional power on thier side so it is impossible for blacks to be racist.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:23 am
blatham wrote:
We're buds.

I've heard about those kinds of divorces, congratulations, but I have not figured them out. I don't endorse bitter hatred between divorcees, don't get me wrong, but if you are such good friends, why not enjoy each others friendship 24/7? My wife has tolerated me now for over 25 years now and so thankfully I am lucky enough to not have to know much about it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:56 am
okie

It seems she and I were destined for lifelong friendship but not marriage. We have a girl, now 23, and that provided the inescapable responsibility to not behave foolishly or pridefully. Family values. But we've always liked each other and enjoyed each other's company. By utter chance and separate paths, we've both ended up here in New York (she was from Washington State). She's working in a program here to help 9/11 first responders with their common health issues arising from environmental badnesses. Our daughter is back in Vancouver now. She called me a couple of days ago and has a new boyfriend, a writer who happens to be jewish. Apparently he's a secular jew as he just got his first tattoo...a unicorn on the chest, rearing up over his heart, and it has a star of david on its bum... it's a Jewnicorn. As daughter recognized, her dad is bound to like this fellow.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 04:39 pm
blatham, I would be worried about a daughter dating guys, especially "writers," with such tattoos in such places!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 04:53 pm
MarionT wrote:
Those who have not followed the plight of African-Americans in the USA do not know the truth but Jesse Jackson knows. The reverend Jackson has pointed out that in order to be racist, one must have substantial institutional power on your side. Blacks have no institutional power on thier side so it is impossible for blacks to be racist.

What a crock.

In order to be a racist one must have hatred and intolerance for people of other races. Clearly African-Americans, like members of any race, can achieve this dubious state of mind.

African-Americans who hate people because of their race or who believe certain people are inferior because of their race may be relatively ineffectual racists, but racists they are.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 04:55 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
MarionT wrote:

What a crock.

In order to be a racist one must have hatred and intolerance for people of other races. Clearly African-Americans, like members of any race, can achieve this dubious state of mind.

African-Americans who hate people because of their race or who believe certain people are inferior because of their race may be relatively ineffectual racists, but racists they are.

Don't get baited by BernardR in his new guise, yo

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:17 pm
Quote:

Precisely what these delusional conservatives around here do; studiously avoid the facts, even when the facts are presented by other conservatives.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:19 pm
Quote:

New Woodward Book Details Multiple Bush Cover-Ups Over Iraq

The Washington Post's Bob Woodward is set to release "State of Denial," the third in his series of books documenting the inner workings of the Bush administration. Woodward will discuss some notable revelations in the book this Sunday on 60 Minutes. Key highlights:

Bush is covering up the extent of violence against U.S. troops in Iraq:

According to Woodward, insurgent attacks against coalition troops occur, on average, every 15 minutes, a shocking fact the administration has kept secret. "It's getting to the point now where there are eight-, nine-hundred attacks a week. That's more than 100 a day. That is four an hour attacking our forces," says Woodward.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/28/woodward-book/

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:37 pm
Quote:

CNN Fact Checks Inhofe's Diatribe Against Global Warming Science

On Monday, Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) took to the Senate floor and launched into a 45-minute diatribe on global warming science. Repeating his claim that global warming is a hoax, Inhofe said, "The American people knowÂ…when they are being used and when they are being duped by the hysterical left."

This morning, CNN hit back with a segment documenting that virtually everything Inhofe said was flatly contradicted by the facts. Watch it:

at,

http://thinkprogress.org/

I hate to say I told you so.
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:59 pm
Some may think that African-Americans can be racist. Spike Lee does not think so. He said-"Black people can't be racist. Black people don;t have the power to keep whites from getting jobs or the vote. To me, racism is the institution. You got to have poiwer to do that."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:17 am
Big Spike Lee fan are ye, Possum?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:23 am
Laughing

Mornin' Snood.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 06:06 am
'sup, Squinney!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:17 am
Cow's mooing, rooster crowing...

Quote:
Bush's Conception Conflict

By Michael Kinsley
Friday, September 29, 2006; Page A21

It was, I believe, Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) who first made the excellent, bitter and terribly unfair joke about conservatives who believe in a right to life that begins at conception and ends at birth.

This joke has been adapted for use against various Republican politicians ever since. In the case of President Bush, though, it appears to be literally true....

But it is hard -- indeed, I would say it is impossible -- to reconcile Bush's absolutism over allegedly human life when it is a clump of unknowing, unfeeling cells with his sophisticated, if not cavalier, attitude toward the loss of innocent human life when it is children and adults in Iraq.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/28/AR2006092801457.html
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:35 am
Several things resonated with me from that...

Quote:
A commander in chief who must face life-or-death questions such as these deserves a bit of sympathy. I would sympathize more with Bush if his answers weren't so preening and struggle-free.

and

Quote:
A regular Harry Truman, consigning thousands to death in order to bring democracy and freedom and peace to millions. But Truman actually produced democracy and freedom and peace, whereas you want credit for your hopes. That's not how it works. If you want to be the hard-ass, you get judged by results. And you can't be Gandhi and Truman at the same time.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:46 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON - About six in 10 Iraqis say they approve of attacks on U.S.-led forces, and slightly more than that want their government to ask U.S. troops to leave within a year, according to a poll in that country.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060928/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraqi_opinion_7

Note: in some areas of Iraq, that percentage in the first paragraph is 80% (according to Barry McCaffrey on Hardball last nite).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 08:12 am
Quote:
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/28/jackson-admitted-bias/

Another example of using political appointees to further RNC ends through directing allocations to Bush-friendly entities (as contrasted with lowest bidders or with performance track records).

This is part of a broad and pervasive strategy (Abramoff is a pardigm example, as is the direction of funding to faith-based entities) of using tax payer monies with the singular intent of partisan control of government.
0 Replies