So "refusing to rule out" = "threaten"? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 09:49 am
Please don't be obtuse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 09:50 am
If you think it meant anything else, when delivered by this loony, then i am glad i have never and will never retain your services as an attorney.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 09:53 am
Setanta wrote:
If you think it meant anything else, when delivered by this loony, then i am glad i have never and will never retain your services as an attorney.

That's two of us, bub.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 09:59 am
I'm not an attorney, and have never claimed to be. Your "contributions" do nothing to inspire confidence in the casual reader. Obtuse, indeed. Blacksmithn nailed that one down.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:08 am
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
I'm not an attorney, and have never claimed to be.

While that's true, it does not change the fact that I too am glad you have never and will never retain my services as an attorney.

(And you called me obtuse.)

Quote:
Your "contributions" do nothing to inspire confidence in the casual reader.

I'm not trying to "inspire confidence in the casual reader." Is that your goal?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:09 am
My goal is to discuss the topic, which seems never to be your goal.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:10 am
Quote:
My goal is to discuss the topic, which seems never to be your goal.

I'm too busy clearing up the crap you spew.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:12 am
And that concludes the "I'm rubber, you're glue" portion of the argument....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:13 am
blacksmithn wrote:
And that concludes the "I'm rubber, you're glue" portion of the argument....

we shall now retire to the drawing room for brandy.... please bring in the interns.....
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:14 am
I vote for Bill Clinton. Jimmy Carter is a strong contender.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:17 am
Wow, there's a stunning surprise....
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:22 am
All of you are ought to be ashamed of yourself for ganging up on Brandon who is only trying to bring you all back to a state of reality. Even freedom4free's opening book report admitted it was just a bunch of liberal historians with a biased rating of George Bush.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:35 am
Speaking of reality...

I read/am reading the article and I find it interesting. Here's a portion that your comment reminded me of.

Quote:
The problems besetting Bush are of a more modern kind than Polk's, suited to the television age -- a crisis both in confidence and credibility. In 1965, Lyndon Johnson's Vietnam travails gave birth to the phrase "credibility gap," meaning the distance between a president's professions and the public's perceptions of reality. It took more than two years for Johnson's disapproval rating in the Gallup Poll to reach fifty-two percent in March 1968 -- a figure Bush long ago surpassed, but that was sufficient to persuade the proud LBJ not to seek re-election. Yet recently, just short of three years after Bush buoyantly declared "mission accomplished" in Iraq, his disapproval ratings have been running considerably higher than Johnson's, at about sixty percent. More than half the country now considers Bush dishonest and untrustworthy, and a decisive plurality consider him less trustworthy than his predecessor, Bill Clinton -- a figure still attacked by conservative zealots as "Slick Willie."

It's in the "Credibility Gap" segment.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:39 am
Good lookin' out, FD. You're pretty savvy for a radioactive water fowl.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:48 am
Aw shucks.
0 Replies

Cheri Amour

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:53 am
BM
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:10 am
bookmark
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 01:36 pm
Another interesting bit that I'm curious what others have to say about.

Quote:
No other president -- Lincoln in the Civil War, FDR in World War II, John F. Kennedy at critical moments of the Cold War -- faced with such a monumental set of military and political circumstances failed to embrace the opposing political party to help wage a truly national struggle. But Bush shut out and even demonized the Democrats.

I think this is very true. The attitude seems to have always been one of exclusion and division, like they've been in constant campaign mode. It has divided the country -- though we seem somewhat more united now in our esteem of the president. The response to opposing ideas has been "keep thinking like that and see if you ever win another election" or the other less polite variety. The partisanship that has been fostered by the Republicans gives rise to "W the president" bumper sticker branding and "our leader" billboards and other fun ways to thumb your nose at your countrymen. Definitely not an atmosphere of inclusion or the picture of a country united to achieve great goals.

I guess it has always seemed obvious to me that he was a bad president -- and I don't say that in a partisan way. It just seems like it's getting harder and harder to spin him as a success. And so I'm curious what the die hards are thinking.
0 Replies