John Creasy

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:40 pm
How old is that lump of cells???
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:04 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
The child, however, born or unborn, is a human being with unalienable rights and is ethically owned by nobody.

NEWS FLASH: IT IS A NON-SENTIENT CLUMP OF CELLS WITHOUT EVEN THE CAPABILITY TO DEVELOP ON IT'S OWN.

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/zygote.jpg

ILZ--
The same can be said of you, and no one could prove otherwise.
I understand that this "clump" does not look human to you, but scientifically, it IS. Try being objective.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:23 pm
echi wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
The child, however, born or unborn, is a human being with unalienable rights and is ethically owned by nobody.

NEWS FLASH: IT IS A NON-SENTIENT CLUMP OF CELLS WITHOUT EVEN THE CAPABILITY TO DEVELOP ON IT'S OWN.

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/zygote.jpg

ILZ--
The same can be said of you, and no one could prove otherwise.
I understand that this "clump" does not look human to you, but scientifically, it IS. Try being objective.

Of course it's human. So are my nail clippings. It is not sentient. This is pretty much unanimously agreed upon by, like, all scientists/sane people everywhere.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:30 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

You have stated a conclusion without setting forth any factual premises that would support your conclusion. Accordingly, your argument that a fetus is a person (human being) with unalienable rights must be rejected.

The United States Supreme Court has stated that a fetus is NOT a person with unalienable rights:

Quote:
The appellee and certain amici argue that the fetus is a "person" within the language and meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment. In support of this, they outline at length and in detail the well-known facts of fetal development. If this suggestion of personhood is established, the appellant's case, of course, collapses, for the fetus' right to life would then be guaranteed specifically by the Amendment. The appellant conceded as much on reargument. On the other hand, the appellee conceded on reargument that no case could be cited that holds that a fetus is a person within the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment.

The Constitution does not define "person" in so many words. Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment contains three references to "person." The first, in defining "citizens," speaks of "persons born or naturalized in the United States." The word also appears both in the Due Process Clause and in the Equal Protection Clause. "Person" is used in other places in the Constitution: in the listing of qualifications for Representatives and Senators, Art. I, 2, cl. 2, and 3, cl. 3; in the Apportionment Clause, Art. I, 2, cl. 3; 53 in the Migration and Importation provision, Art. I, 9, cl. 1; in the Emolument Clause, Art. I, 9, cl. 8; in the Electors provisions, Art. II, 1, cl. 2, and the superseded cl. 3; in the provision outlining qualifications for the office of President, Art. II, 1, cl. 5; in the Extradition provisions, Art. IV, 2, cl. 2, and the superseded Fugitive Slave Clause 3; and in the Fifth, Twelfth, and Twenty-second Amendments, as well as in 2 and 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment. But in nearly all these instances, the use of the word is such that it has application only postnatally. None indicates, with any assurance, that it has any possible pre-natal application.

All this, together with our observation, supra, that throughout the major portion of the 19th century prevailing legal abortion practices were far freer than they are today, persuades us that the word "person," as used in the Fourteenth Amendment, does not include the unborn. This is in accord with the results reached in those few cases where the issue has been squarely presented. McGarvey v. Magee-Womens Hospital, 340 F. Supp. 751 (WD Pa. 1972); Byrn v. New York City Health & Hospitals Corp., 31 N. Y. 2d 194, 286 N. E. 2d 887 (1972), appeal docketed, No. 72-434; Abele v. Markle, 351 F. Supp. 224 (Conn. 1972), appeal docketed, No. 72-730. Cf. Cheaney v. State, ___ Ind., at ___, 285 N. E. 2d, at 270; Montana v. Rogers, 278 F.2d 68, 72 (CA7 1960), aff'd sub nom. Montana v. Kennedy, 366 U.S. 308 (1961); Keeler v. Superior Court, 2 Cal. 3d 619, 470 P.2d 617 (1970); State v. Dickinson, 28 [410 U.S. 113, 159] Ohio St. 2d 65, 275 N. E. 2d 599 (1971). Indeed, our decision in United States v. Vuitch, 402 U.S. 62 (1971), inferentially is to the same effect, for we there would not have indulged in statutory interpretation favorable to abortion in specified circumstances if the necessary consequence was the termination of life entitled to Fourteenth Amendment protection.

http://laws.findlaw.com/us/410/113.html
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:34 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
Of course it's human. So are my nail clippings. It is not sentient. This is pretty much unanimously agreed upon by, like, all scientists/sane people everywhere.

Is that your argument, then? These people that you look up to say it's so, and you just agree? C'mon, man. Try a little harder, eh?
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:35 pm
Quote:
But in nearly all these instances, the use of the word is such that it has application only postnatally. None indicates, with any assurance, that it has any possible pre-natal application.

So tell me, does an 8 1/2 month old "fetus" qualify as a life??
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:41 pm
John Creasy wrote:
Quote:
But in nearly all these instances, the use of the word is such that it has application only postnatally. None indicates, with any assurance, that it has any possible pre-natal application.

Why is the gestation period nine months?

Anon
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:49 pm
geez, deb. there ya go with that whole settled law thing again... Laughing
----

welcome to a2k xenoche. the fun is fast and furious! have a good time.

you bring up an excellent point; it does sorta seem like an awful lot of pro-lifers lose their over-arching concern for "the baby" after it is born.

seems weird to me;

in the womb = "save that human being at all costs".

outside the womb = no interest in making sure that the l'il one has guaranteed health care, not much interest in assuring a quality education, not much interest in supporting their exposure to the arts, and even stranger, an apparent willingness to send them to pre-emptive war without thinking too hard about it.

if "all life is sacred", it has to be sacred all of the time. not just when it suits your personal interest or faith.

and btw, xenoche, i congratulate your girl's decision to have the child. and your acceptance of her role as the decision maker.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:58 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
geez, deb. there ya go with that whole settled law thing again... Laughing
----

welcome to a2k xenoche. the fun is fast and furious! have a good time.

you bring up an excellent point; it does sorta seem like an awful lot of pro-lifers lose their over-arching concern for "the baby" after it is born.

seems weird to me;

in the womb = "save that human being at all costs".

outside the womb = no interest in making sure that the l'il one has guaranteed health care, not much interest in assuring a quality education, not much interest in supporting their exposure to the arts, and even stranger, an apparent willingness to send them to pre-emptive war without thinking too hard about it.

if "all life is sacred", it has to be sacred all of the time. not just when it suits your personal interest or faith.

and btw, xenoche, i congratulate your girl's decision to have the child. and your acceptance of her role as the decision maker.

I believe it is unfair to say that pro-lifers have 'no interest in making sure that the little one has guaranteed health care, etc. . . .'

Most pro-lifers I think put the responsibility for that squarely on the heads of the parents who have no business risking pregnancy unless they can provide a child with what s/he needs. Certainly no prolifers wish for children to be neglected or harmed in any way, which is why we repeatedly offer adoption to a loving, caring family as an alternative to abortion if the biological parents cannot or do not wish to provide a child with what s/he needs.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:58 pm
echi wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:

Is that your argument, then? These people that you look up to say it's so, and you just agree? C'mon, man. Try a little harder, eh?

You need to go back to analogy school.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:00 pm
And to Debra, I am unaware of any requirement that a personal opinion based on one's sense of morality or ethics must be based on any factual premise. But I, and I suspect most pro-lifers, do not base their sense of morality or ethics or the value they place on human life or their conclusions of right and wrong on the dictates of any court ruling or law.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:18 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
And to Debra, I am unaware of any requirement that a personal opinion based on one's sense of morality or ethics must be based on any factual premise. But I, and I suspect most pro-lifers, do not base their sense of morality or ethics or the value they place on human life or their conclusions of right and wrong on the dictates of any court ruling or law.

You stated a conclusion without setting forth any factual premises that would support your conclusion. Based on the foregoing, you acknowledge that your conclusion is completely unsupportable and is solely the product of your moral beliefs.

Accordingly, you are entitled to have whatever moral beliefs you choose to have and may apply those beliefs to your own life. However, we have an enormous problem in our constitutional republic when you seek to impose your moral beliefs on others who don't share your beliefs via the enactment of laws.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:32 pm
Deb, from a comment on a Glen Greenwald post on Republican Cult worship:

Quote:
Arguing with Right Blogostan (ie, Foxfyre) is like arguing with a crafty, deeply disturbed, mentally ill person. No matter how eloquently you speak and effectively you shatter the logical inconstancies of their arguments, they will never concede defeat. Debate on the merits - of any point - is a virtual exercise in futility. You are LIBERAL and thus you are hated. Your opinion has no value. You words have no merit. You are an enemy.

You are wasting your time discussing things with those who lack the ability to discuss them rationally and with logic.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:37 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
John Creasy wrote:
Quote:

Why is the gestation period nine months?

Anon

huh??
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You are wasting your time discussing things with those who lack the ability to discuss them rationally and with logic.

Cycloptichorn

I understand that Foxfyre consistently fails to rationally or logically support her statements or conclusions.

As I pointed out earlier, her arguments are untenable and dishonest. Her true agenda is to deprive other people of their UNALIENABLE and constitutionally-secured liberty interests by imposing her moral beliefs on them via the enactment of state laws.

She fails to understand, although she may have an unalienable right to believe whatever she wants to believe in accordance with her own conscience and apply those moral beliefs to her own life, it is the height of DISHONESTY and HYPOCRISY for her to assert any right to impose her beliefs on others and dictate the course of their lives.

Although I may never convince Foxfyre that she may not impose her moral beliefs on others through the operation of our laws----I don't think it's a waste of time to point out the dishonesty and hypocrisy of her agenda.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:54 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Most pro-lifers I think put the responsibility for that squarely on the heads of the parents who have no business risking pregnancy unless they can provide a child with what s/he needs.

ah-hah! so there it is. what you've just said is basically; "people have no business engaging in sex unless it's for the purpose of having a child".

you know that contraception is not 100% effective 100% of the time.

your opinion is based on a moral judgement regarding sex.

as to you're statement that i'm being unfair. most pro-lifers identify themselves not only as people of "faith", but also as conservatives.

to the best of my knowledge, conservatives are the ones who i hear most often complain about paying for a national health care system. and for public schools. conservatives are the ones that have been instrumental in seeing music and art classes diminished in public schools. conservatives are the leaders on not only choosing to keep teachers under payed and over worked, they are also more than vocal about how crappy and lazy teachers are. coming from a family of teachers, i can assure you that not one of them fits the image that conservatives paint of educators.

frankly foxy, the whole adoption thing is smoke and mirrors. if, as we are told every day by pro-lifers, that "america is a christian country" and pro-lifers, which we are also told are the majority of americans (spin at it's best), there would be a very, very much smaller number of orphanages and the foster care system would be much sleaker.

and i wish i had a nickel for everytime i've seen "i'm pro-life", Support the troops", "w/04", "proud parent of a marine" bumper stickers on the same car. frequently slightly below the requisite "trunk fish".

so to paraphrase your comment;

pro-lifers have no business insisting on someone else completing a pregnancy unless they are personally willing to adopt the unwanted child and provide that child with what s/he needs and wants. the pro-lifers must also assure that their "pro life" stewardship of that child extends into adulthood and they will do all in their power to keep the child's life from ending in organized violence when some dumb bohunk decides that he wants his "pro-life" legacy to be that he was "the war president".
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:59 pm
Yet, those moral beliefs that one has the right to kill their own child prior to birth was thrust upon this nation at the Federal Level.

This is a 2 way street and goes against what in my view is States Rights issue.

Why should people in the State of S. Dakota be forced to amend their laws to satisfy the State of California?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 03:16 pm
Quote:
Although I may never convince Foxfyre that she may not impose her moral beliefs on others through the operation of our laws----I don't think it's a waste of time to point out the dishonesty and hypocrisy of her agenda.

I don't think so either; just don't expect a response that is anything less than circling the wagons and retreating in the face of 'personal attacks.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 03:19 pm
woiyo wrote:
Yet, those moral beliefs that one has the right to kill their own child prior to birth was thrust upon this nation at the Federal Level.

This is a 2 way street and goes against what in my view is States Rights issue.

Why should people in the State of S. Dakota be forced to amend their laws to satisfy the State of California?

you guys don't get it do you ??

if you don't believe in having an abortion, don't have one. it's that easy.

and to also paraphrase your comment;

why should a woman who doesn't want to have a baby and has decided to have an abortion, be forced to amend her decision to satisfy pro-lifers ?

i just love it. the state's rights rhetoric is just a flim flam. you guys only adhere to it when it suits your gripe.
think i'm wrong ?

then why are those in oregan who wish to die with dignity still being forced to be a spectator of their own rotting away on the vine. i mean, afterall, the citizens of oregan voted in favor of the right to die legislation.

but an isitance that they continue to suffer has been forced on them at a federal level.

their decision is being amended to satisfy the state of florida. and we all know which way that state rolls, don't we ?

nope. personal choice is always better. don't like it, don't do it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 03:26 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

You stated a conclusion without setting forth any factual premises that would support your conclusion. Based on the foregoing, you acknowledge that your conclusion is completely unsupportable and is solely the product of your moral beliefs.

Accordingly, you are entitled to have whatever moral beliefs you choose to have and may apply those beliefs to your own life. However, we have an enormous problem in our constitutional republic when you seek to impose your moral beliefs on others who don't share your beliefs via the enactment of laws.

I stated an opinion. The statement started with "I think. . . ." It is reasonable to interpret that as being that I hold the opinion that a baby, born or unborn, is a human being and as such is subject to unalienable rights. I didn't specify it, but that is my basis for being a prolifer.

But if you insist on a factual premises, my factual premise is that no known human being has ever become pregnant and produced a puppy or anything else other than a human infant. You are certainly encouraged to dispute that with any empirical or factual evidence that you might have however.

As far as 'forcing my moral beliefs' on others, would not the converse be true--others are forcing their moral beliefs on me by requiring that I live under laws that I believe to be morally wrong? The Constitution once denied equal rights to black people, once afforded the vote to only men, and once prohibited consumption of alchohol. Did we have a serious problem when people, on moral principles, challenged those laws?

Are you so convinced that the Constitution is so perfect and complete in every detail now that it may never again be challenged on any moral principle?

And can you think of many, if any laws, that are not based on moral values?
0 Replies