Debra Law

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 06:45 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Debra_Law,

I will try this one more time. Yes, that is what I said. What I mean by that is the fact that he would love his child so much that he would break the law. He would love his child so much that he would risk his freedom and/or life for his child. That is what I admire. What I admire is the stance that he
[/b]HE WOULD LOVE THE CHILD THAT MUCH! Not that he would break the law, but THAT HE WOULD LOVE THE CHILD THAT MUCH![/size]

You admire that he would love the child THAT MUCH that he would do what? Where do you draw the line between what your admiration would allow and finding fault?

Would you admire him if he cut up Anon's body into little pieces and flushed it down the toilet in a fit of rage because he loved that unborn embryo THAT MUCH? Where do you draw the line?

He said, "I don't think there is anybody that agrees with all laws and if it came down to it, my principles as a man can differ from the stated law. In extreme cases, I don't rule out choosing my principles over the law." Rolling Eyes

Would you admire him for giving up his freedom--going to jail for LIFE--because he committed an unlawful act in furtherance of his principles--his alleged LOVE for the embryo? Are you sure he's furthering an interest in the LOVE of an unborn child vs. furthering an interest as a MAN who demands to be in control? You are injecting a notion of LOVE for a child that doesn't exist.

You opened the door to this discussion when you said, "I think you are all being pretty hard on John Creasy."

We have good cause to be "pretty hard on John Creasy." He never said he LOVED that unborn child; you're merely assuming something that he never said. HE said he would NOT ALLOW any woman to abort HIS child. He never said anything about loving that child, he's interested in controlling his perceived property and nothing more. He said his principles as a MAN were more important than the law--the law be damned. Again, he never said he loved that embryo. It's his principles as a MAN that are at issue--his right to say what he will allow and what he won't allow. He backs his principles with threats of violence against women. If you know anything about violence against women, then you will understand that his emphatic statements of possession and control have NOTHING to do with LOVE and everything to do with CONTROL.

We have good cause to be "pretty hard on John Creasy." I do NOT admire his stance; I abhor it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 07:01 pm
Debra_Law,

If you are a lawyer and I ever get into trouble I want you to represent me. Laughing

Debra, I do not believe that it is okay for anyone to break the law because they don't agree with it, they don't like it, etc. So no, I don't want to see John Creasy chop up Anon and flush him/her down the toilet. :wink:

I was speaking only of the fact that it appeared to me that he would love a child that much. I am, yes, assuming that he would love the child. I really think that is what he means when he says he would take care of it, etc.

So, John Creasy, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE promise me, if you ever get in this situation (which is just hypothetical anyway) promise me that you will not do anything against the law! Please make sure that you do not break the law in any shape, fashion, or form. If you do, I am afraid if Debra Law is the prosecutor, you are toast. Shocked
[/b]
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:27 pm
You're a good sport, MA.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:29 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
You're a good sport, MA.

Thank you, Free Duck.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:45 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
You're a good sport, MA.

I'd say you're a sucker for getting dragged down in the dirt with people who obviously are not interested in or capable of civilized discussion. Aren't you bored, yet?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:48 pm
Yes. I'm reduced to a spectator. A role I've gotten quite familiar with.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:54 pm
Not you, ducky... I was addressing MA.
I am mostly a spectator, too. A little safer that way!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:59 pm
Oh. Gotcha.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:00 pm
Am I bored yet? Should I be? :wink:
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:03 pm
0 Replies

chichan

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:21 pm
I've always found the contradiction re children conceived in rape/incest situations versus other situations. [This doesn't mean I don't recognize the seriousness of rape/incest situations]

Surely all the fetuses are equally innocent. Why would/should there be an exception for fetuses of rape/incest? Do these fetuses become abhorrent little creatures simply because of what a man or a woman has done? [I suppose it's possible for a woman to rape too, with the result that a fetus is conceived.]

The monumental shift in empathy is puzzling to say the least.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:13 pm
Debra_Law wrote:

It is the known existence of violence and the threat of violence against women that the Supreme Court contemplated when it ruled that men (especially men like Greasy) have no right to be notified when a woman decides to terminate a pregnancy.

Maybe there is just some things in life that you should never do, like mess with a man's kids. You may think that it is not a life yet, but that is merely an opinion.

In all honesty I couldn't really tell you how far I would go in that situation. You don't know how you would react to a certain situation until you're in it. I do know one thing though, "The Law" is not as high and mighty to me as it is to you. You seem to worship it like the mere mention of breaking the law is blasphemy. Do you really agree with every single law??? Is there no circumstance you can imagine that might cause you to choose between the law and what you stand for??? Where's your integrity??
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:16 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
[
We have good cause to be "pretty hard on John Creasy." He never said he LOVED that unborn child; you're merely assuming something that he never said. HE said he would NOT ALLOW any woman to abort HIS child. He never said anything about loving that child, he's interested in controlling his perceived property and nothing more. He said his principles as a MAN were more important than the law--the law be damned. Again, he never said he loved that embryo. It's his principles as a MAN that are at issue--his right to say what he will allow and what he won't allow. He backs his principles with threats of violence against women. If you know anything about violence against women, then you will understand that his emphatic statements of possession and control have NOTHING to do with LOVE and everything to do with CONTROL.

You couldn't be more wrong.
0 Replies

mimilaura

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:21 pm
Abortion
Birth control pills are not incredibly easy to obtain and are not 100% effective. Condoms, on the other hand, are VERY easy to obtain, but there again, not 100% effective.

When has any man, about to have sex, asked himself, what if this act impregnates this woman? Assuming impregnation occurs, is he willing to support the child, both monetarily and emotionally, the rest of the child's life? Whether the child is normal or handicapped in some way? I am way over 60 and have yet to see it happen.

No, until men take the responsibility they so readily say women should, don't tell women what to do.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:45 pm
Welcome MimiLaura!

Excellent first post. Smile
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:47 pm
chichan wrote:
I've always found the contradiction re children conceived in rape/incest situations versus other situations. [This doesn't mean I don't recognize the seriousness of rape/incest situations]

Surely all the fetuses are equally innocent. Why would/should there be an exception for fetuses of rape/incest? Do these fetuses become abhorrent little creatures simply because of what a man or a woman has done? [I suppose it's possible for a woman to rape too, with the result that a fetus is conceived.]

Congratulations, you've just figured out the big logical flaw in the entire right2life(TM) position.

It's logically an all or nothing proposition. American law does not recognize any distinctions between born persons due to the circumstances of their conception and/or birth and there is no rational reason to think it should make any such distinction amongst the unborn. If ANY unborn has a "right to life" sufficient to force the mother to bear it, then so also does the unborn child of the rapist.

Pretty fucked up, isn't it? I wish to hell I'd never heard of the abortion issue. Without it, the de-moker-rat party would have died a natural death 30 years ago.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:06 pm
John Creasy wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

It is the known existence of violence and the threat of violence against women that the Supreme Court contemplated when it ruled that men (especially men like Greasy) have no right to be notified when a woman decides to terminate a pregnancy.

Maybe there is just some things in life that you should never do, like mess with a man's kids.

There you go again. Exhibiting your possessory, controlling, sexist view of your alleged male property interests and making threats again.

Admit it, acknowledge it, and live with it: You have no legally recognizable rights to tell a woman anything when it comes to HER decision whether to continue or terminate a pregnancy. So there. Whatcha gonna do about it besides punch a hole in the wall?

Maybe you shouldn't go around threatening people not to mess with you. I think you ought to go to anger management classes and learn to manage your sexist control issues before you hurt someone if you haven't already done so.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:23 pm
Quote:
You have no legally recognizable rights to tell a woman anything when it comes to HER decision whether to continue or terminate a pregnancy. So there.

Why is it HER decision?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:24 pm
gungasnake wrote:
chichan wrote:

Congratulations, you've just figured out the big logical flaw in the entire right2life(TM) position.

It's logically an all or nothing proposition. American law does not recognize any distinctions between born persons due to the circumstances of their conception and/or birth and there is no rational reason to think it should make any such distinction amongst the unborn. If ANY unborn has a "right to life" sufficient to force the mother to bear it, then so also does the unborn child of the rapist.

Pretty **** up, isn't it? I wish to hell I'd never heard of the abortion issue. Without it, the de-moker-rat party would have died a natural death 30 years ago.

Simplistic thinking on any issue isn't conducive to fixing the problems. I suspect that a large majority of people, of any political stripe, would support an abortion for a rape or incest conceived fetus.

What you also have to note is that thinking people of all political stripe know that this is a tough problem that won't be solved by bringing back the ignorant positions of yesteryear, conservative or liberal or anything in between or outside.

I abhor abortion. It's very troubling to me that a human being, [any human being, not just American or westerners], loses the chance to experience life. But the answer isn't simply to ban abortions. Such thinking is too facile for words.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:53 am
John Creasy wrote:
Maybe there is just some things in life that you should never do, like mess with a man's kids.

correctomundo, johnny boy....

and if a man were to try to force my daughter (or my nieces), married, unmarried, in love or not, to bear him a child against her will....

well, let's just say that my principles as a man would come into play.
0 Replies