My girlfriend believes in God

stuh505

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:38 am
Quote:
Surely you are not serious? You must expect to be shamed if you are going to hold onto.......? So who gets to decide this stuff is archaic or not? Who gets to decide if it is for personal reasons or not? Other idiots? Wow. I don't really know what to say.

That's the beautiful thing. The whole world gets to decide. Anyone who can prove anything at all can publish it and share this information.

Quote:
Don't you suppose the fact that you don't believe God exists might seem odd to others? Should you then also expect to be shamed for your personal belief?

Odd, no I don't believe it would sound odd, that person must be highly isolated if they have never even heard of that notion before. I would expect them to disagree with me if they disagree, of course. Do I need to say that? Should I expect to be shamed by people who don't believe in God...well, they can try, but they'd really only be making themselves look more foolish in my eyes (I'm sure the reverse is true).

Quote:
No one should be shamed for anything. The only thing shame is good for is to make someone feel bad about themselves. or the shamer feel better about themselves. Either way, it's a shame.

Clever. But the world does not fit anyone's ideal of "what should be." I did not mean that people SHOULD be insulted, I meant that they must EXPECT and not be SURPRISED that they will be insulted for having such beliefs when they enter an environment of people with contrary beliefs. Just as I would not be surprised to be insulted for my beleifs were I to live in ancient egypt
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:50 am
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
Surely you are not serious? You must expect to be shamed if you are going to hold onto.......? So who gets to decide this stuff is archaic or not? Who gets to decide if it is for personal reasons or not? Other idiots? Wow. I don't really know what to say.

That's the beautiful thing. The whole world gets to decide. Anyone who can prove anything at all can publish it and share this information.

Ok, how do we decide? Majority rules? Isn't it just a matter of you believe one thing and I believe another so we should just respect that?

Quote:
Don't you suppose the fact that you don't believe God exists might seem odd to others? Should you then also expect to be shamed for your personal belief?

Odd, no I don't believe it would sound odd, that person must be highly isolated if they have never even heard of that notion before. I would expect them to disagree with me if they disagree, of course. Do I need to say that? Should I expect to be shamed by people who don't believe in God...well, they can try, but they'd really only be making themselves look more foolish in my eyes (I'm sure the reverse is true).

Maybe odd wasn't the correct word. But those that do believe in God have a hard time understanding sometimes why others don't. But, it doesn't mean you should be shamed because of it. It's just a difference between people.

Quote:
No one should be shamed for anything. The only thing shame is good for is to make someone feel bad about themselves. or the shamer feel better about themselves. Either way, it's a shame.

Clever. But the world does not fit anyone's ideal of "what should be." I did not mean that people SHOULD be insulted, I meant that they must EXPECT and not be SURPRISED that they will be insulted for having such beliefs when they enter an environment of people with contrary beliefs. Just as I would not be surprised to be insulted for my beleifs were I to live in ancient egypt

ok

It's true the world does not fit into anyones ideal of anything. The point is, if each one of us individually treated each one of us with a certain amount of respect and dignity, I think we'd all be better off. I just don't believe insulting anyone is ever the right thing to do. I won't lie and say I have never done it because I have. But, it still does not make it right.

If a woman wears a miniskirt and halter top and looks sexy, should she expect to get raped? I realize that's extreme but it's along the same lines. The responsibility for our actions lies with us. Not with what someone else does or doesn't do that they should expect anything.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:23 am
Quote:
Ok, how do we decide? Majority rules? Isn't it just a matter of you believe one thing and I believe another so we should just respect that?

I can respect anyone's belief in anything at all if I see that they have a good reason for believing that something. If someone's reason is simply that "they feel like it" and they refuse to change their beliefs when they see evidence to the contrary, I cannot respect that lack of open-mindedness

Quote:
The point is, if each one of us individually treated each one of us with a certain amount of respect and dignity, I think we'd all be better off. I just don't believe insulting anyone is ever the right thing to do. I won't lie and say I have never done it because I have. But, it still does not make it right.

It sounds like that makes sense, but I find it difficult to practice in real life. It is possible to treat everyone with respect, but it is not possible to actually truly respect everyone. I truly respect people who demonstrate respectable qualities. for the most part religion seems to be a sign of belligerance and when I see this, and I just can't respect that.

Quote:
If a woman wears a miniskirt and halter top and looks sexy, should she expect to get raped? I realize that's extreme but it's along the same lines. The responsibility for our actions lies with us. Not with what someone else does or doesn't do that they should expect anything.

If a woman dresses this way, of course she must realize that it is increasing her chances of being sexually "harassed" (or hit on) and possibly raped...as you say yourself, we must take responsibility for our own actions. We cannot ignore the worst in people. If you drive a nice car in the city, you must expect to be robbed if you don't lock it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:36 am
It has alwqays been my contention that if the sex is really good and hot, you put up with anything else.

Let that guide you.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:14 am
The sex is good now Smile

but it probably becomes diminishingly good after years of marraige
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
Not necessarily. Sixteen years and it's still good.

(That Bear guy above has NO idea what I put up with proportionally to him, just for the sex.) Laughing
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
JC, Forget "materialism." Science is not dogmatic. If that's your definition, you evidently understand very little about science. Nothing is "absolute." We can only rely on science to explain by observation and evidence that their assumptions are true. Only religion can be termed dogmatic.

So what would you call someone with little real knowledge of science, yet they believe everything scientists say just because they say so? I would call that dogmatic.

I'm simply saying that science can be used just like a religion. If someone strictly molds their life and every detail in it around science, they alienate themselves from what is truly important in life.

I'm having trouble expressing this accurately. Please bear with me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:37 am
stuh505 Wrote:

Quote:
I can respect anyone's belief in anything at all if I see that they have a good reason for believing that something. If someone's reason is simply that "they feel like it" and they refuse to change their beliefs when they see evidence to the contrary, I cannot respect that lack of open-mindedness.

But who decides if they have a good reason for believing something? To you, there may not be a good reason. To them, there may be an excellent reason. I'm not sure too many people believe just because "they feel like it." I don't know if I actually know anyone that believes for that reason. If you are not open to accepting their beliefs or their reasons for their beliefs, couldn't it be said you then have a lack of open-mindedness? Wouldn't tolerance for each other's beliefs/non-beliefs take precedence here? Wouldn't that be the "better" thing to do for all concerned?

stuh505 Wrote:

Quote:
It sounds like that makes sense, but I find it difficult to practice in real life. It is possible to treat everyone with respect, but it is not possible to actually truly respect everyone. I truly respect people who demonstrate respectable qualities. for the most part religion seems to be a sign of belligerance and when I see this, and I just can't respect that.

I, too, find it difficult to practice in real life. It's rarely easy doing the right things. I agree, you don't have to respect everyone but you can treat them with respect. It can also be said of the non-religious that they seem to demonstrate some belligerence. So, again, wouldn't tolerance be the thing to do?

stuh505 Wrote:

Quote:
If a woman dresses this way, of course she must realize that it is increasing her chances of being sexually "harassed" (or hit on) and possibly raped...as you say yourself, we must take responsibility for our own actions. We cannot ignore the worst in people. If you drive a nice car in the city, you must expect to be robbed if you don't lock it.

While it is true there are things anyone can do to keep our cars from being stolen, I completely disagree with the possibility of being raped because you are wearing a miniskirt. Not all women that are raped are wearing seductive clothing. Just because a person wears something another person may find seductive doesn't mean they are sending out signals that they want or even expect violence again them in any way. They stopped using this argument in the court system a long time ago. If, for any reason, we point a finger at someone else for some action we have committed, we are not taking full responsibility for ourselves.

If I were to tell you that you are an idiot (which I am definitely not ~ just making an example here) because you don't believe in God, it's still wrong for you to turn around and call me a moron. We would both be wrong. I would have been wrong first for calling you a name. But that does not make it right for you to call me one and vice versa. This is a tough one because I hate name calling and I let myself get drug in sometimes. But, I was made to realize yesterday just how wrong that is.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:42 am
Chumly wrote:
Hi Eva & John,

If stuh505 discounts the religious viewpoint, why does it follow that stuh505 is "piously sure of one's own righteousness; moralistic"?
Where is the pious surety of righteousness?
Where is the moralizing?

I didn't intend it in any moral sense. If someone "knows" they are right and the other person is wrong, to me, that is self-righteousness. I don't think you can argue against Stuh being guilty of this.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:47 am
Quote:

But who decides if they have a good reason for believing something? To you, there may not be a good reason. To them, there may be an excellent reason. I'm not sure too many people believe just because "they feel like it."

I was just thinking that. For instance If someone has a religious/spiritual experience, are you going to tell me that they should dismiss that because religious experiences haven't been proven by science???
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:54 am
stuh505 wrote:

First of all, rape has very little to do with sex. It has more to do with sadism, and control of a person. Every once in awhile you hear of little old ladies in housedresses and comfort shoes being raped. How would you explain that?

That is not to say that if a woman is being pointedly provocative, there is not a greater chance that she will get attention of a sexual nature. That still is no excuse for a man to force himself on her.

If you are in a store, do you steal something just because it's there, and you can? I think not.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:43 am
stuh505 wrote:

Oh come on, we all insult people. We all giggle at the people who are dressed funny behind their backs, and we like to make fun of other idiots behind their backs and share this kind of talk with our friends and lovers.

There's a big difference between joking about someone's questionable wardrobe and ridiculing someone's sincerely held spiritual beliefs.

With all due respect Stuh, maybe you could learn something from your girlfriend and her beliefs. You don't seriously expect to find someone who sees eye to eye with you on every single issue do you???
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:45 am
squinney wrote:

(That Bear guy above has NO idea what I put up with proportionally to him, just for the sex.) Laughing

LOL that was to much information - like thinking about your own mom and dad having sex Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:48 am
JC wrote:
So what would you call someone with little real knowledge of science, yet they believe everything scientists say just because they say so? I would call that dogmatic.

I would say that that individual understands nothing of science. Science is a self-validating system of checks and balances. Dogma is never a part of science.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:54 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
JC wrote:

I would say that that individual understands nothing of science. Science is a self-validating system of checks and balances. Dogma is never a part of science.

Science in itself is not dogmatic, but many scientific-minded people are.

I have nothing against science. I admit I have a lot to learn in this department. I've been trying to read up on the subject lately and educate myself. With that said, I don't necessarily base my life and all my beliefs on scientific findings. There is more to life than what science proves or doesn't prove.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:58 am
JC wrote:
Science in itself is not dogmatic, but many people scientific-minded people are.

I agree 100 percent. When I first learned about that professor from Harvard that wrote why blacks did poorly in school, I knew right away he was not a social scientist by any stretch of the imagination.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
JC wrote:
Science in itself is not dogmatic, but many people scientific-minded people are.

I agree 100 percent. When I first learned about that professor from Harvard that wrote why blacks did poorly in school, I knew right away he was not a social scientist by any stretch of the imagination.

Wouldn't he have some training in that area as a professor though? I don't know so I am asking honestly here.

If that professor was stating an opinion on his research does that mean he doesn't have any idea of social sciences?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:24 pm
Being a professor doesn't mean he's a credible source. Many professors are complete idiots that somehow managed to slip through the system.

JC, well it would be nice to have my special someone view eye to eye on me on all the MAJOR issues. But no I don't expect her to be in complete agreement with me on everything...I haven't left her for this, I'm just trying to deal with it.

Edit: Phoenix, it seems you basically just echoed what I said.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:30 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Being a professor doesn't mean he's a credible source. Many professors are complete idiots that somehow managed to slip through the system.

JC, well it would be nice to have my special someone view eye to eye on me on all the MAJOR issues. But no I don't expect her to be in complete agreement with me on everything...I haven't left her for this, I'm just trying to deal with it.

Edit: Phoenix, it seems you basically just echoed what I said.

Actually, I don't think you addressed Phoenix's first issue about the rape thing and the comfort shoes. I only bring that up because I really want to know why you feel the way you do on this.

Many professors are complete idiots? Don't they have to have some kind of accrediation when applying for positions? Is this possibly just a case of someone disagreeing with what he said so therefore he is "an idiot?"
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:31 pm
squinney wrote:

I consider that a resume quality reference. Right back atcha btw. :wink:
0 Replies