can't anyone be homosexual?

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:07 am
I was having a discussion with a friend about being homosexual and am wondering what you guys think about this..

i feel that one falls in love with another person for their personality, their mind, their feelings, their soul, not for anatomical features, right?

so if you happen to meet someone who is everything you've ever wanted in another person, does is really matter if they are a male or female? maybe you're not initially attracted to that person like you would be to one of the opposite sex, but don't heterosexual relationships start that way too?

i realize that sex plays a major role in every relationship, but is it more important than forgoing being with someone who makes you happy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,143 • Replies: 116
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:44 am
Hi Anna,

No I don't think what you are saying is possible. I think that the gender of the people that we are capable of feeling romantic about is encoded into our DNA, and is not something that we have control over.

Sex is not "more important than being with someone who makes you happy," but rather, part of what is necessary to be happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:50 am
Nah, Anna, I don't think anyone can. You either are or you're not. As a very dear lesbian friend of mine used to say:" It takes one to know one & you, msolga, just aint one!" Very Happy
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:22 am
Ya can't control genetics, it just is.
0 Replies

unrooted

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:57 am
Re:
Personally, I'd rather consider this person my best friend or even soulmate and not necessarily a lover Smile.
To me a soulmate or real best friend is soooooo much better than a lover.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:01 pm
My theory is that given the right circumsatnces, just about any woman will become intimate with another woman. Although thre are 100% lesbians, I don't think any woman is 100% straight. 99.99% but not 100%.

In fact, I am in an intimate but non-sexual relationship with a straight women now. There is no doubt that if our relationship grows, we will become lovers. In fact, in just about every way other than actual sex, we are lovers now.

When we met, she told me adamantly that she was straight and we would only be "friends." (that kind of floored me because it is the first time a woman told that to me and it completely authenticated me as a woman in her eyes, being in San Francisco and being 6'00" I get clocked all the time, in her case, I had to tell her I was TS, people who read my soul know that I am female.

Although I had a few woman to woman flings, this is the first serious relationship I have had with a woman since I changed my sex from male to female. So not only am I willing to tread softly, my sex drive is very, very low anyway.

I am so happy just being with a woman as a woman, the sex part is not important. Perhaps, later I will demand more but right now eveything is perfect just being together.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:03 pm
Re:
unrooted wrote:
Personally, I'd rather consider this person my best friend or even soulmate and not necessarily a lover Smile.
To me a soulmate or real best friend is soooooo much better than a lover.

Right on, sister.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:40 pm
You're bisexual, therefore every woman is bisexual?
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:38 pm
stuh505 wrote:
You're bisexual, therefore every woman is bisexual?

You want to have a discussion or start a flame?

How are old are you? What is your gender? How experienced are you sexually? Number of partners, LTRs. How many lesbians and bi women have you befriended in your lifetime?
0 Replies

Aurelius

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:14 pm
It can be that way anna, look at the basketball star Sheryl Swoops. She just came out and said she had a lover. She was married for a while and even had a kid with her ex-husband. She met her lover and fell in love with her not because she was gay, their relationship grew and as you said, she fell in love because of her personality, her mind, feelings. Sheryl Swoops stated she was not gay before she met her lover. I think anyone could fall in love with anybody.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:17 pm
Twin Peaks,

Totally disagree with given the right circumstances any woman would.....trust me, this woman will never!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:35 pm
agree with MA...not this woman either

IMO Anna one would have to be inclined to be that way in the first place
genetic makeup and so forth... :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:38 pm
I have to agree with Momma Angel here. No offense nikki,
but you are a transsexual, and granted you feel like a woman,
you are technically a man and were raised as a man.

As such, you are hardly a spokesperson for us women and
your statement that 99.9 % could be persuaded into homosexuality is certainly a myth.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:51 pm
Aurelius wrote:
It can be that way anna, look at the basketball star Sheryl Swoops. She just came out and said she had a lover. She was married for a while and even had a kid with her ex-husband. She met her lover and fell in love with her not because she was gay, their relationship grew and as you said, she fell in love because of her personality, her mind, feelings. Sheryl Swoops stated she was not gay before she met her lover. I think anyone could fall in love with anybody.

Anyone? No, any woman. Of course, there is always the exception that proves the rule but I doubt that you will find many men (in Western culture) developing this kind of realtionship.

I just got off the phone with my "lover." I said something negative about relations with men She said "Well, maybe I should become a lesbian then!" Then of course, she said she was joking, then she reminded me that we can't be total lovers because she is not gay. Then we both decided what we have now is better than having a sexual affair and even that she might one day take the leap she would be worried it would mess things up between us.

Soemtimes I feel like I am living that movie "Kissing Jessica Stein" Smile
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:56 pm
Re: can't anyone be homosexual?
anna211705 wrote:
maybe you're not initially attracted to that person like you would be to one of the opposite sex, but don't heterosexual relationships start that way too?

Semantically, at least, that seems like a contradictory statement.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:05 pm
Hi Kiwichic! How are you doing, my friend? Miss talking to you.

Ditto what Calamity Jane said. NO WAY IN YOU KNOW WHERE.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:38 pm
Quote:

How are old are you? What is your gender? How experienced are you sexually? Number of partners, LTRs. How many lesbians and bi women have you befriended in your lifetime?

Gee Twin Peaks, your offer to start a flame war is so enticing...but I will have to pass. It sounds like you have too much Jerry Springer experience. Goodbye.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:14 am
Anna,
Could it be that you are simply feeling a new level of intimacy that you never had before? A good friendship, a truly real a deep friendship, can meet our needs perhaps as we have never experienced with a sexual partner/romantic partner. Naturally that openness and feeling of safety can lead us to imagine new possibilities.

I know you are young. Sexual and intimate feelings can get really confusing.
You may just have found yourself a real good friend.

In my honest opinion, gay/bisexual tendencies ARE just who the person is. It is not something that folks truly get a choice in. And there is a sexual dimension to it. I know for myself; I never could ask a question like yours. The questions were more along the lines of "uh oh, why am I attracted to someone who doesn't have a penis? Is this okay?"

Take care.

Smile
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:38 am
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:

Gee Twin Peaks, your offer to start a flame war is so enticing...but I will have to pass. It sounds like you have too much Jerry Springer experience. Goodbye.

Not true. When I read your first post, I assumed you were an inexperienced, insecure boy. Your second post confirms it.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:58 am
CalamityJane wrote:
I have to agree with Momma Angel here. No offense nikki,
but you are a transsexual, and granted you feel like a woman,
you are technically a man and were raised as a man.

As such, you are hardly a spokesperson for us women and
your statement that 99.9 % could be persuaded into homosexuality is certainly a myth.

I knew I was going to get that. My experiences actually give me more credibility on this topic. I am not prepared to explain all this to you, perhaps, as many have suggested, I should write a book.

I don't "feel like a woman" I am a woman, probably moreso than most natal woman. You cannot possibly understand that, of course.

My statement that most women could find themselves sliding into a lesbian relationship given the right circumstances is true IMO and my opinion is as valid as yours regardless of my gender.

Each individual ever born is a unique sexual creature. You are no more a spokesperson for women than any other person in the world is. And I certainly wasn't claiming to be a spokesperson for women. Your are unique. I am unique. (well, iam even more [sic] unique.) :0

So the bottom line is you disagree with my opinion yet you offer no explanation as to why. BTW there are legions of natal woman who agree with me.
0 Replies