Re: The Portrayal of Blacks in Popular Media

snood

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:43 am
It has been a constant source of ire for me - the way blacks (and other people of color) have been portrayed on TV and in movies - historically, and even now. Growing up, I don't remember being conscious of it until about age 11 or 12(at least a hint of it). There was a popular black singing group on TV, and I ran to get everyone to tell them to come and see. I remember for the first time being aware that 'we' were hardly ever on TV at all, and that's what made it so special to see 'us' there, doing something other than making trouble for those upstanding police forces.
Later, when I came into a much more vivid awareness of the 'whiting' of TV media, it started to come clear to me that this was not some accidental by-product of the free market. I looked at the eurocentrism of public school-taught history, and I began to see that there had been systematic exclusion of the positive contributions of blacks, Mexicans, Asians, etc. from the textbooks, from the filmstrips, from the libraries.
When I began to look into it, the spectre of structural racism in media got larger and larger. I found that fully 30% of the cowboys and pioneers who first pushed westward were of color. Why, then were all the cowboys white on TV? I found that There were courageous all-black units that fought in many of our major Wars. Why, then can I only name "Glory", "Tuskeegee Airmen" and a documentary about the Buffalo Soldiers in all my life as the positive examples 'allowed' to be seen by the masses?
Then I confronted the argument (also seen here in A2K on another thread about rappers and rap) that "green is the only important color to the free market". Bullshit. If stories about blacks and people of color as they have existed and continue to exist, in at least as much variety and depth as any other (white) people were of no commercial interest, then why are those stories co-opted so much? In "Dances With Wolves", the driving theme of the story is the laying waste of the Lakota Sioux in particular, and the American Indian in general. But we are not told this story from the perspective of a Sioux, but from that of a compassionate white soldier. In "Glory", the all-black Massachusetts 54th Regiment was the center of the action, but the central protagonist was the white colonel who bravely led them. in "The Last of the Mohicans" (1992 version -an admittedly very fictional fiction), the real last of the Mohicans takes second or third or fourth billing to the Mohican-raised white man who saves the day. In "Men of Honor", the story is about Carl Brashear - a black man who took on the bureacracy of the US Navy in real life, and won. The movie seems to split its attention equally though, between Brashear and a made-up white man who helps him, played by Robert DeNiro. I could go on, but the point is that even with their best efforts, Hollywood can only seem to be able to tolerate a person of color as the central figure in very limited circumstances. The person or people of color must be accompanied in the central aspect of the story with a white figure. Or, the character or characters (witness Denzel Washington in Crimson Tide) must be involved in a story that has little to do with race- the only thing 'black' about them must be their skin color - no reference or acknowledgement of their "otherness'. Or (again Denzel Washington in Training Day), the story must focus on the underside of human character - the pimping, hustling, criminality of the characters must play a large part in the storyline. Over and over, what one sees if one cares to scratch past the surface is a society - mirrored by its popular media - that has never come to terms with the reality of race.
I feel for those struggling black writers and producers and playwrights and authors who have to face this infuriating aspect of American society regularly. I feel for the black children who are exposed to a media that plays the news stories of the lost blond college students ad infinitum, but barely whispers once or twice about the Chicano teenager who has been lost from down the street - what messages do they internalize about their intrinsic worth to society?
I am fully aware that some who read this will frantically search their memories for exceptions to what I have presented here - much like the republicans like to answer the statistics about 2% Black support of their president with yet another reference to Condie and Colin. But I stand by my assertion - White America has a huge problem with portraying blacks and people of color in their media.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 21,822 • Replies: 388
No top replies

snood

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:59 am
Hmmm... 7 views, no comments yet.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:00 pm
nodding
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:02 pm
can't add much due to the accuracy of your topical post.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:11 pm
It's a circumstance I have been aware of nearly all my life. Bill Cosby did some very good shows about this same thing not that many years ago. I recall when only Sidney Poitier could be pointed out as a black star of any consequence. I can't defend anybody, although I suspect not all white people intentionally participate in this. It is an ingrained system, and I believe only the success of some real "breakout" works can begin to change the landscape that much.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:12 pm
snood wrote:
Hmmm... 7 views, no comments yet.

Paragraph breaks would make it easier to read.

Of course, the way the popular media portrays everything is a matter of concern. What do you think about how blacks are portrayed on sitcoms geared to a black audience? Martin, Bernie Mack, Barbershop etc.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:53 pm
One of my favorite movies is Friday.

TV does seem to have made substantial gains in representing blacks--but, they do seem cartoonish.

But, the Huxtables (a number 1 ratings giant) was derided by blacks for being "not like blacks".

You are right about the movies. I had to admit to myself years ago that I don't usually connect with all black casts. I think maybe secretly, we may put ourselves in a role--or subconsciously imgine we could be in this situation portrayed on the screen, and truthfully, a black cast often makes this connection not work for me.

I HAVE greatly enjoyed main characters who are black in a mixed cast movie. I could name many, but that's not what this thread is about.

Can't say anything else but that you have many valid points in your thread starter.

But, back on you-- how do you think blacks should be portrayed in movies and TV? And, curious. What did you think of the comment about Rosa Parks in "Barbershop?".

This could be an interesting topic.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:59 pm
Quote:
White America has a huge problem with portraying blacks and people of color in their media.

You are right, white America has a problem portraying
blacks, but shouldn't give this an incentive to black Americans
to rectify the media, thus the outlook for white Americans?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 01:54 pm
Hey, bro. GROK! That's my way of marking.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 01:59 pm
I knew I lived in a racist nation. I didn't know how racist until I heard
Godfrey Cambridge describe his search for a "flesh colored" Band-Aid.
http://www.aaregistry.com/eimage/GCambridge.gif

Hollywood, despite the efforts of Denzel Washington and Halle Berry, still doesn't have a clue how to be around black people. Are they like us really? Are they different? What? Do they want parts that are about being people or about being people who are black?

Someone ask Whoopi or Oprah. Or Eddie Murphy. Yeah, ask Eddie.

Does he play a detective in those movies or a black detective? Or a little of both? Then there is Dr. Doolittle.

Or Bill Cosby, who decided early on that he was an actor and a comic.

Sidney Poitier. What else can you say?

They all attack racism by portraying people who are black but who are people.

The end of racism comes when we celebrate the differences amongst us instead of letting them divide us.

Joe(white as snow)Nation
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 02:27 pm
I saw an ad on TV the other day for, I think, Colgate toothpaste.

The ad stopped me in my tracks because it featured a young black woman brushing her teeth. No "blackitude" no jive voice over, no hip hop music. It was simply an ad to sell toothpaste; not an ad tying to sell toothpaste to black women.

Also notable was that the ad probably ran between Blues Clues and The Backyardigans because that is really about the only time I have the TV on.

I thought it was a really cool ad.

But the fact that it stopped me in my tracks shows that we really have a long way to go.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 02:33 pm
black entertainers
to me, one of the best - if not the best - entertainers of all colours was...FLIP WISON...1933 - 1998... . i miss him and "geraldine" - i know i'm giving my age away - ; but every week i had to have my fix, and only flip wilson could provide it. even just thinking of his shows makes me break out into a smile . here's to flip - gone much too early ! hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 02:46 pm
Snood, one movie that I have seen recently that is exceptionally good is Crash- the 2005 version. I won't bore you with the details, but it depicts the irony in all ethnic groups. The only actor that I recognized was Matt Dillon, and I thought he was Matt Damon. Suffice it to say that Crash depicted the interaction of people of color (or lack of it) who are biased against other ethnic groups. Bias is not just a black white thing in America, my friend.

Historically, however, you are spot on.
As for Bill Cosby, I don't EVEN want to get started on him.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:06 pm
If you look at the international scene and look at ethnic movies you will see ethnocentricism. Thebest is for an African nation to start making movies where they are the main characters. Minorities in any nation will be given roles.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:07 pm
Oops, ... given minor roles.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:08 pm
Incidentally, here is the link to the movie:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59714&highlight=
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:29 pm
Book mark
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 04:59 pm
I thought Crash was excellent.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:47 pm
Snood, you are on spot with the observations about ethnic representation in films. There has been change though, by people like Sidney Poitier, Spike Lee, Denzel Washington. Yes, they play 'black' parts, but they are so good that respect for them is universal.

TV seems to be a little more integrated. LA Law was a show I enjoyed. The black or hispanic lawyers were valued members of the firm although it was clear that in some quarters they were 'token' members, useful for show. Again, though, their roles were of highly intelligent, professional attorneys.

There is just so much more to be done in making a variety ethnics groups portrayed in more varied films and television shows.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:14 pm
I liked Crash a lot.

(PARAGRAPH BREAK FOR TWIN PEAKS)

If you see Blacks playing doctors or lawyers or advertising toothpaste "just like regular folks", that's nice, but it isn't the representation of real people that I would like to see. When I get to see the human spectrum - including the mundane middle - of blacks, I'll believe there is real progress.

That remark about "all minorities will be relegated to minor roles - that's fine, but must they all be the same roles? Too often the ethnics have to be the most superbly outstanding professionals, OR the lowest scum of the earth.

You don't even wanna know what I think about the UPN/Latifah/Ice Cube/ B.E.T. kind of stepinfetchit "comedy" that is so popular nowadays.
0 Replies