Re: The Portrayal of Blacks in Popular Media

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:39 am
You got that right Foxy... kind of makes you lose a little hope doesn't it?

On a side note, being the Sowell fan that you are, I'm assuming you've read "The Vision of the Annointed?"
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:52 am
No, I haven't but it's on my 'get around to reading it' list. Smile
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:54 am
You really should get around to reading it... fantastic book. I gaurantee you won't be disappointed.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:50 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
snood wrote:
Hanky-head hall of fame

It is a sad statement of the times when successful intelligent men and women are called "Hanky-heads" and criminal murderous thugs like Tookie Williams have numerous threads about him all clamoring to make everyone see the "good" he has done.

Well said. It's not hard to see why many young blacks are confused about who is a role model...
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:01 am
And the people calling them "hanky heads" are the same people that are crying about racism and discrimination.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:03 pm
jp in Milwaukee- You are right on the money. Vision of the Anointed is a fine book that stresses that the left wing hierarchy proceeds from ASSUMPTIONS that are not valid.

The book, Visions, was published sometime in the middle 90's. I think that a precursor of that book was Sowell's "A Conflict of Visions" which covers some of the same ground but in less detail.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:14 pm
relpheb-You may know why some of these brilliant African-Americans are called "Hanky-heads". They do not buy the "victimization" approach. They do not believe that everything in the USA is colored(no pun intended) by Racism and that African-Americans have been ruthlessly kept down by Institutional Racism.

Of course, the race carders-Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Farrakhan, the ineffably coarse Maxine Waters, and the Senile John Conyers conspire to push these doctrines on the African-American masses so that they can retain power and prestiege.

Thomas Sowell, Shelby Steele, Clarence Thomas, Bill Cosby...all hanky heads????

Sowell alone has more brain power than Jackson, Sharpton and Farrakhan put together.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:32 pm
It's interesting. When I was teaching in Philly, I had my students to a comparrison and contrast of approaches to racial equality. I gave them 6 names and they had to choose three. I gave them, from the late 19th early 20th century Ida Well, Booker Washington and WEB Dubois, and from the mid 20th century Rosa Parks, Malcom X and Martin Luther King. Most all of them chose King and Malcom. I see the similarities(and differernces) between Jackson, Sharpton and Farrakhan. The biggest diefference I see though is that King and Malcom expected the black community to get up and work for their equality. These three want social programs to do it for them. These threee think that if a black person is involved with anything negative, it's a white person that was ultimetly responsible.
I grew up when it was required to hire minorities just to fill numbers. I saw both ends of that spectrum. I saw good qualified whites denied jobs just so a minority could get hired and I saw racism at my work place where blacks were driven out of the factory. I also have seen minorities that have been very lazy and when they get fired the throw the Race card down. I have alos seen some of the laziest wite people in the world not get fired because they had a union job.
What this ramble all has to do with anything is this: If anybody wantts to get aheead in life they have to do it through hard work and determination. If they don't work hard, don't blame somebody else for your own lazyness.
OK I'm off my soap box.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:40 pm
The US is supposed to be a MERITOCRACY. If you can do the job, you get the job.

When a firm does not have enough Minorities, it is sometimes taken to task. Supposedly, skills of all types are distrbuted EVENLY across the racial spectrum.

But just try to complain that there aren't enough White Players on a professional basketball team and ask that there be more diversity.

You will( and rightly so) get an answer like--I pick my players for their talent, not for their color.

Exactly!!!!!
0 Replies