Re: The Portrayal of Blacks in Popular Media

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:38 pm
What specific bias? And have you read the book? You can say with certainty that he offers no solutions? Can you give a specific criticism for which he does not also offer a remedy?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 02:58 pm
fox, Never said I was an expert on Sowell's works -just the impression I get from postings on this thread and my reading of one of his books many decades ago.

Since you seemn to be the "expert" on Sowell, please show us the "solutions" he has offered.

I may change my opinion about Sowell if you can actually produce some postive prose from him on solutions.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 03:01 pm
I just thought if you were so absolute in your criticism, C.I., you would actually have something in mind to back it up. My mistake.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 03:27 pm
fox's quote, "Can you give a specific criticism for which he does not also offer a remedy?"

No, I can't. That's the reason why I'm asking you, the expert on Sowell.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:25 pm
Quote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
fox's quote, "Can you give a specific criticism for which he does not also offer a remedy?"

No, I can't. That's the reason why I'm asking you, the expert on Sowell.

I wasn't the one criticizing Sowell. You did.

C.I. wrote
Quote:
Thank you, Walter, for that important article that supports my challenge of Sowell, the god for many on a2k.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:43 pm
I read Thomas' JewishWorldReview link but didn't see anyting resembling solutions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:45 pm
fox, Read this.

Did I say anything about "objectionable?"

Sowell probably forms his thesis with many truths, but I see it as limited to the extent that he misses some of the salient information delineated by Walter's link that I think is a major issue.

Mine is not a objection; just a question about Sowell's main thesis that relies on his own biases; that most blacks are ingrained to do poorly in school based on what he says.

It's easy to denigrate, but more difficult to find solutions. I don't see Sowell doing the solution finding. All he does is explain why blacks do poorly in school and intelligence tests, and goes on to articulate why.

I see engrained bias.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:51 pm
How about a break from the bickering and a moment of reflection for Richard Pryor's passing....?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:53 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
fox, Read this.

Did I say anything about "objectionable?"

Sowell probably forms his thesis with many truths, but I see it as limited to the extent that he misses some of the salient information delineated by Walter's link that I think is a major issue.

What salient information?

Mine is not a objection; just a question about Sowell's main thesis that relies on his own biases; that most blacks are ingrained to do poorly in school based on what he says.

Where does he say this? Cite the work please.

It's easy to denigrate, but more difficult to find solutions. I don't see Sowell doing the solution finding. All he does is explain why blacks do poorly in school and intelligence tests, and goes on to articulate why.

You didn't think providing books in the home and holding back students who aren't ready to move on yet to be solutions? If these are not solutions, how about offering your idea of what a solution would be?

I see engrained bias.
Thomas Sowell has devoted his life to studying, identifying issues with, and offering solutions for education in this country and he has spent a good deal of that time focusing on education for minority, specifically black, students. He is very biased against poor education and very biased in favor of good education. Do you have a problem with this bias?
What bad bias do you see and again please support your opinion with something he has witten.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 05:00 pm
sigh.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 05:46 pm
I didn't always like him. Mostly because of his drug use. But, he was cutting edge and allowed some other good black comedians to break into the industry. He did make some very good films. I liked his work as the nascar driver, the movie The Toy, and some of his movies with Gene Wilder.
I think at times he over used profanity, but I think that's what made him so cutting edge. I love the skit that Eddie Murphy did portraying Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby.
I think the bigger shame came in the way he spent his last 10 years. I often wonder if he wanted out.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:05 pm
Hard to say Ralph. He had his genius side when it came to his humor and he had more than a little insight into human nature and the human condition. But nobody can live the way he lived the last of his life and be happy I think. But only he knows where he was in the grand scheme of things.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:44 pm
As i read the article on him it reminded me of something else I had heard; that he helped write part of Blazing Saddles. I saw an interview with Mel Brooks and he commented on how only Richard Pryor could come off with some of the comments that were made. I think one of the ones he wrote was when they were all sitting at the camp fire and Mongo spouts off a philisophical phrase.
That's going to be a who's who of entertainment at his funeral.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:03 pm
Richard Pryor wasn't in Blazing Saddles, was he? If I recall correctly, that was Cleavon Little.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:18 pm
No, he wasn't in Blazing Saddles, he helped write it
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 11:51 pm
littlek wrote:
How about a break from the bickering and a moment of reflection for Richard Pryor's passing....?

Pryor's rise to fame happened at the same time I was going out into the world for the first time, and I think I always identified him subconsciously with freedom. He brought out a kind of stolen, sort of illicit laughter that was so much more deliciously satisfying - partly, I'm sure because mom and dad would not have approved. But he also was one of the first famous black men I ever saw and heard speak his mind so unfettered - the things he said about justice and black/white relations and woman/man relations and addiction and... life, all will be with me until I die. He will be lionized now - in death, in ways he could never be in life. And that's a shame - but I will remember him for the times in my life he made easier and more real, all at the same time.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:43 am
Hasn't anyone started an obituary thread on Pryor yet? I can't find one and didn't think I was qualified to start one.

BTW, also died on same day: Eugene McCarthy for ran for president on an anti-Vietnam War platform. I worked for his campaign in Boston back then.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:59 am
There are several, MA, on Pryor.

And at least one on McCarthy...
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:57 am
snood wrote:
Hanky-head hall of fame

It is a sad statement of the times when successful intelligent men and women are called "Hanky-heads" and criminal murderous thugs like Tookie Williams have numerous threads about him all clamoring to make everyone see the "good" he has done.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:33 am
It's a topsy turvy world these days JP with many misguided loyalties and screwball notions all of which those 'hanky heads' are trying to remedy with honest information, reasoned logic, and suggestions for real solutions.
0 Replies