Re: The Portrayal of Blacks in Popular Media

snood

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:10 pm
littlek wrote:
There is the idea that blacks were/are portrayed as bad guys to the man, side kicks to the man, athletes or puppydogs. That's it.

Blacks can and have been portrayed as fathers, mothers, business men, friends, kids trying to get through life in the hood - sometimes it comes out real sometimes not.

The Cosby show may have been buyable, but it didn't represent the majority of black families in the country. The Jeffersons was funny, but it didn't really either.

Snood - do you read Aaron McGruder's Boondocks? What do you think?

Aaron McGruder is a genius and a maverick. I've been reading Boondocks since I first heard of him about 4 years ago. A lot of major papers are scared to run him - BS.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:48 pm
Thank You, Snood, for the correction. I think Spike Lee should have gotten the Academy Award for the movie. The story about the Wannabes( who were black but really wanted to be white since most of them were very light skinned) who were hated by the Jigaboos( who were very dark skinned was a true depiction of the self-hate that is prevelant in the African-American community which is not spoken of very often.

Spike Lee, the African-American genius had the courage to tell it like it is.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:54 pm
snood wrote:

Aaron McGruder is a genius and a maverick. I've been reading Boondocks since I first heard of him about 4 years ago. A lot of major papers are scared to run him - BS.

I agree with the maverick part, I don't feel qualified to label him a genius. I do love the strip. Mostly. I canceled my subscription to the Boston Globe (even the BG dropped a couple of his installments) and miss seeing The Boondocks on a regular basis.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:22 am
littlek- The reason that the papers are scared to run Boondocks is that it is a comic strip that should get a Pulitzer Prize. I have read the speeches of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and , yes, even Minister Farrakahn, and the Boondocks is more incisive than they. After you read the Boondocks for a couple of months you become convinced that racism is alive and well and that White America still conspires to subjugate a strong and noble people.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:34 am
snood wrote:
I could go on, but the point is that even with their best efforts, Hollywood can only seem to be able to tolerate a person of color as the central figure in very limited circumstances. The person or people of color must be accompanied in the central aspect of the story with a white figure. Or, the character or characters (witness Denzel Washington in Crimson Tide) must be involved in a story that has little to do with race- the only thing 'black' about them must be their skin color - no reference or acknowledgement of their "otherness'. Or (again Denzel Washington in Training Day), the story must focus on the underside of human character - the pimping, hustling, criminality of the characters must play a large part in the storyline. Over and over, what one sees if one cares to scratch past the surface is a society - mirrored by its popular media - that has never come to terms with the reality of race.

The "reality of race?" What does that mean? On the one hand, you want Hollywood to stop ignoring race, yet on the other you want it to portray blacks as average, mundane people. In other words, you want stories that emphasize the centrality of race populated with characters whose race is peripheral. I don't think anyone can square that circle, least of all Hollywood.

snood wrote:
I am fully aware that some who read this will frantically search their memories for exceptions to what I have presented here - much like the republicans like to answer the statistics about 2% Black support of their president with yet another reference to Condie and Colin. But I stand by my assertion - White America has a huge problem with portraying blacks and people of color in their media.

There's no need to search frantically for exceptions to what you've posted here, snood: the exceptions are numerous and easily recalled. You cite Glory, I cite A Soldier's Story. You cite Crimson Tide, I cite A Color Purple. You cite Training Day, I cite A Raisin in the Sun. No doubt those movies have something objectionable, too (why did Sidney Poitier have to help white nuns?), but I suppose a gross generalization can embrace all sorts of disparate examples.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:37 am
Yes, and I cite the gloriously beautiful Whoopie Goldberg who deserved an Academy Award for her outstanding performance in "Ghost" and, we cannot forget the luminous Hattie McDaniel who did indeed win an Academy Award in "Gone with the Wind."

Only white racism kept Goldberg from her award.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:37 am
Snood

Since you're talking media, I'd be interested about your thoughts on blacks & the popular music industry, too. The cool & the sexy stud images come to mind, a la Marvin Gay (sp?). And of course there's that Stevie Wonder-type black wisdom thing. And the Rappers. And those "girl groups" of the 60's, Aretha, etc, etc, etc. It's a huge area! .... Any thoughts, or are you wanting to stick with film & television?
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:48 am
msolga- Thank you- I have, in the past, been mildly chided for not staying on topic. I am happy to see that straying from topic is indeed allowed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:55 am
Mortkat

I'm asking snood if he's like to include popular music in his media discussion, that's all. In my opinion popular music has had an enormous influence in how black people are portrayed & perceived. However, if snood wishes to to stick to film & television, that's fine, too. It's his thread, afterall. And BTW, a very interesting thread, too!
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:14 am
Thank you, Msolga. I will do the same in the future, but tell me, are there any people who are so rude that they will not allow someone to bring a clearly related thing like popular music to a discussion like this one? I am certain that Snood will have no problems with that. Right, Snood?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:18 am
No, normally people aren't that prescriptive, Mortkat, but I do know that snood's put a lot of thought into this thread & I certainly don't want to send it off in a direction that he's prefer not to pursue. It's not a big deal, though, really ....
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:59 am
I agree- msolga. By the way, I like your avatar. Is that KrazyKat?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:59 am
Boondocks

Put it in your favorites.

Joe(daily dose will fix you)Nation
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:42 am
Mortkat wrote:

"Felix the Cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:43 am
goodfielder wrote:
Mortkat wrote:

"Felix the Cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."

Yes, it's Felix! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:45 am
Say, Ital- . . . i man Massa- . . . I mean, Mortkat, how come yer suckin' up all over the boards?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:24 am
joefromchicago wrote:
snood wrote:
I could go on, but the point is that even with their best efforts, Hollywood can only seem to be able to tolerate a person of color as the central figure in very limited circumstances. The person or people of color must be accompanied in the central aspect of the story with a white figure. Or, the character or characters (witness Denzel Washington in Crimson Tide) must be involved in a story that has little to do with race- the only thing 'black' about them must be their skin color - no reference or acknowledgement of their "otherness'. Or (again Denzel Washington in Training Day), the story must focus on the underside of human character - the pimping, hustling, criminality of the characters must play a large part in the storyline. Over and over, what one sees if one cares to scratch past the surface is a society - mirrored by its popular media - that has never come to terms with the reality of race.

The "reality of race?" What does that mean? On the one hand, you want Hollywood to stop ignoring race, yet on the other you want it to portray blacks as average, mundane people. In other words, you want stories that emphasize the centrality of race populated with characters whose race is peripheral. I don't think anyone can square that circle, least of all Hollywood.

snood wrote:
I am fully aware that some who read this will frantically search their memories for exceptions to what I have presented here - much like the republicans like to answer the statistics about 2% Black support of their president with yet another reference to Condie and Colin. But I stand by my assertion - White America has a huge problem with portraying blacks and people of color in their media.

There's no need to search frantically for exceptions to what you've posted here, snood: the exceptions are numerous and easily recalled. You cite Glory, I cite A Soldier's Story. You cite Crimson Tide, I cite A Color Purple. You cite Training Day, I cite A Raisin in the Sun. No doubt those movies have something objectionable, too (why did Sidney Poitier have to help white nuns?), but I suppose a gross generalization can embrace all sorts of disparate examples.

I'll get back to you, joe. gotta go earn the bacon.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:47 am
Hell, I can't wait, this is too much for me to sit on... -

Joe:
Quote:

My point is not nearly so convoluted as you attempt to make it. I say simply that by and large, today's mass media hasn't the ability and/or balls to portray ethnics realistically - either historically or reflecting modern life.

Quote:

You make my point for me - I already said that the examples I could cite had black writers, and all the examples you gave fit the bill. My whole thrust in this thread is that white hollywood has no clue, and wants none.
Soldier's Story started as A Soldier's Play by Charles fuller - it languished for fully 3 decades before it made its way to the screen. It took that long for hollywood to decide it was a story worthy of being told. It's not A Color Purple, it's The Color Purple. The fact that you cite this as some kind of blow for the cause is hilarious - Alice Walker is notable in the black community for her black male-bashing, but I suppose your ilk (white male republicans who Loooove Colin and Condie) deems ANY drama with blacks in it as something "we" should be grateful for.
Lorraine Hansbury wrote Raisin - you can't see the forest for the trees - the damn play is ABOUT the oppresion of white racism.

And anyway, let's pursue both of our arguments to their apparent logical ends. Mine would appear to be that there are countless miles to go before blacks are portrayed realistically and contemporaneously. Yours would appear to be - what? - that a FINE job has been done by all, and nobody better whine about it? You said the examples are "numerous and easily recalled". I say they're about as relatively "numerous" as the number of Black Senators and CEOs, but I reckon some folks think those numbers are just fine, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:06 am
I believe the answer is somewhere in the middle, Snood, Joe.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:12 am
Spoken like someone truly Swiss.
0 Replies