What made you gasp, frown or stare today?

nimh

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:11 am
Adding another nuance to the spectrum ...

See also:

What made you smile today?

WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 14,278 • Replies: 154

nimh

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:12 am
Seven deboarding busloads of Germans on an "operettengala" tour.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 04:23 pm
Getting up to find damn cat had vomited in the study....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 04:27 pm
the snow we have has had me doing all of those things.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 04:32 pm
A guy brake-checking me on the highway yesterday.

Some chick being a complete douchebag to me last night.

Snow. In October.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 05:54 am
In the flyer of a local elctronics store, which came in my newspaper this morning, the HDTV that I had been drooling over was $1000- less than advertised everywhere else! Very Happy
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 06:14 am
Jaffrey's ridiculous anti-asia observations.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 07:00 am
How well my friends from California looked.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 07:39 am
forgetting to change my clocks, and getting up at 6:00 a.m.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 07:52 am
BVT's idea of a stiffie

( see the thread Man dies in undies )
his sense of humor is fabulous.. Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:05 pm
Isn't it, though!

The Bear is a riot. My all-time favorite line of BVT/BPB's was in Gus's famous "Last Night a Chupacabra Ate My Left Testicle" thread. It was classic. I'm choking on laughter again just thinking of it.

He wrote,

"Cheer up, Gus. At least you still have two."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:18 pm
Did I mention that I had to work at a trade show this weekend?

Did I mention being next to that modeling agency that represents children?

Did I mention how much I hate people who put their children to work?

Or how much I hate modeling agencys?

Or how much I hate people who think that modeling is a good carreer for their children?

Did I mention how much I gasped, frowned and stared at people this weekend?

No?

Then consider yourself warned.

When I get some rest I'm going to rant.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:26 pm
On a hunch I tested my indoor thermostat with my cheesy plastic outdoor thermometer. Sure enough, the readings are different. My thermostat said it was 66 in the hall, higher than the 64 I set it to when I start to warm up the house in the morning. (I warm the house up and then turn it down again, as the early morning warms up. I haven't programmed it for winter yet and this little experiment is part of it.)

So, the cheesy plastic thermometer said it was 64. I put the thermometer in a different spot and it said 64.5. But... thing is it felt like 70.

Back in LA we used to try to keep the house as low as 68 in the winter, and grumbled. Here in north north, I rarely set it higher than the aforementioned 64, at times I just don't want to be cold.

Maybe it was our thermostat in LA that was off, reading high - it was old.

All this interests me a lot for obvious reasons like energy use and money. When I first moved into this money pit my heating bills were unbelievable. I am not a woman with moneybags, and my first winter bills hit the roof... as in $476. for my first February. I basically shut it way down and shivered that winter.

Turns out, when I really looked at the furnace, it was an old oil burner that had been changed to ... a gas ring, which varied heating people told me later was something like 25% efficient.

So... I sprung for a re-do, hauling that baby out of the way and installing a new superefficient Munchkin (or some name like that) which connects to my radiator system - clean efficient heat. So since then I've been warm, or warm enough, in winter.

But <frown> exactly how warm?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:27 pm
A three year old boy named Albert.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:29 pm
Too many leaves to rake in the yard!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:39 pm
Er, that $476 also counted electricity, but most of it was for gas. Still incredible.
I will convert those F numbers to C numbers for my own practice and others' edification, once I find a chart.

Leaves... leaves! and too many weeds popping up! <frown too>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:53 pm
rewriting in Celcius -

ossobuco wrote:
On a hunch I tested my indoor thermostat with my cheesy plastic outdoor thermometer. Sure enough, the readings are different. My thermostat said it was 18.9 in the hall, higher than the 17.8 I set it to when I start to warm up the house in the morning. (I warm the house up and then turn it down again, as the early morning warms up as I do too. I haven't programmed it for winter yet and this little experiment is part of it.)

So, the cheesy plastic thermometer said it was 17.8. I put the thermometer in a different spot and it said 18.1. But... thing is it felt like 21.1.

Back in LA we used to try to keep the house as low as 20 in the winter, and grumbled. Here in north north, I rarely set it higher than the aforementioned 17.8, at times I just don't want to be cold.

Maybe it was our thermostat in LA that was off, reading high - it was old.

All this interests me a lot for obvious reasons like energy use and money. When I first moved into this money pit my heating bills were unbelievable. I am not a woman with moneybags, and my first winter bills hit the roof... as in $476. for my first February. I basically shut it waaay down and shivered that winter.

Turns out, when I really looked at the furnace, it was an old oil burner that had been changed to ... a gas ring, which varied heating people told me later was something like 25% efficient.

So... I sprung for a re-do, hauling that baby out of the way and installing a new superefficient Munchkin (or some name like that) which connects to my radiator system - clean efficient heat. So since then I've been warm, or warm enough, in winter.

But <frown> exactly how warm?

There. That was fun. Maybe one day I'll gain an instinct for C temps...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 06:00 am
"At The Cloud Appreciation Societystare)
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 06:06 am
I love clouds Exclamation Very Happy But then, I love my planet, and everything about it. Exclamation :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:58 am
I was standing in the fishmongers today, looking for a nice piece of Halibut, when a man came in with a five pound Salmon flapping away under his arm.

He walked up to the counter and asked "Do you have any fishcakes?"

The fishmonger shook his head and told him that he had just sold out.

"That's a pity" replied the man "It's his birthday today, and we were hoping to have a little party".

...and then walked out again.

I was aghast.

Fancy having no fishcakes on a Tuesday.
0 Replies