What made you gasp, frown or stare today?

dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:28 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Do women do red sportscars?

Maybe a mohawk... tattoos...

I know one who did a red sportscar.

Very embarrassed by it she was in no time at all...

I am ignoring the mohawk etc....

Neutral
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:44 pm
@dlowan,
I had a red fiat spyder convertible when I was 34 - a toy re real sportcars, when the guy downstairs was building the Vector (the one I saw was red, I think). And a friend got a red Mazda zoomaround when she was approaching 50. Another more approaching 60 go a Nissan whatever (child of Datsun 24o Z), but that was white.

An old boss (male) bought an oldie Corvette while around fifty, and promptly crushed the front bumper, which I gather was a routine for old corvettes.

Then there's the dys with the red porsche. But he drove race cars in the day, and gets a freebie on that.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:46 pm
@ossobuco,
My red spyder didn't embarrass me, I liked taking the curves of Topanga, but it did have a congenital transmission fluid leak..
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:07 pm
@ossobuco,
emo girls at work made me stare, omg tattoos, crazy clothes, so flippin sexayness.

i was like mr ionik stop staring, ok look one more time, ok thats enough they are gonna see you, ok they saw you, one more look...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 03:37 pm
A woman of a certain age walking by with a glittery t-shirt that said "Desperate Housewife". Made me look.

A long line of almost all Asian (and female) tourists in Antwerp snaking around a corner - I thought, huh, maybe a museum? It was the Gucci shop, with a stern bouncer only letting two women in at a time. I thought it was maybe a formal opening, but a couple of hours later the line was still there..

Occasionally the normally gentle and courteous Flemish will include a man (or rather, woman) who's just like the Dutch. At the Brussels Airlines check-in gate (that's Brussels Airlines the company, specifically, at the Brussels airport - don't travel with Brussels Airlines), there were a bunch of these check-yourself-in terminals. Except they didn't work by just scanning your passport, you had to type in your ticket number, or your reservation number and then the flight number. All fairly simple but still, these things are rather new on the continent, and usually they're optional. Plus, at Schiphol and Heathrow there will be helpful staff milling about to help you if there's any problem. Here an older man proceeded to the check-in lines and a sturdy young woman said, "sorry, you can't go there, you have to use the machines". But I can't use them, protested the older man. "Well then you'll have to learn to," the woman answered brusquely, before turning to the next person.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:41 am
The following didn't actually make me frown, but I suppose it should have:

OK, so I got so into what I was doing last night that I didn't get to sleep until about 4 a.m. knowing full well that I had to get up early for the plumber's scheduled 8 a.m. arrival. (p.s. It's now 10:14 and the plumber has yet to arrive. Deja vu?) I slept for about two hours, hit snooze far about 90 minutes, then dragged myself out of bed, finally, around 7:30.

Anyhow, this is the second time this week the plumber has no-showed. On Monday, he got an emergency call. He did contact my property manager but doesn't have my number to call me. My property manager is on vacation this week, so I don't want to call her. You see, I'm sure the plumber has a good reason for not showing up because he's generally very reliable. He's also just starting his own business, so he's smart enough not to blow this deal. (My PM also manages four other properties; he WANTS this job.) He knows the leak in my bathroom is not an emergency case.

I'd go back to bed, but I'd probably end up sleeping the whole day away and I really want to get a few things done....I have a list.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 06:21 pm
I was talking to my architect/partner about a story I had seen in one of the local alternative weekly papers. It seems that a local laundromat owner had asked the county for permission to harvest the rain water off of his roof for use in toilets in his business. He has not been able to get approval-or a straight answer as to why he can't get approval.
My architect responded that he-on the six story building we are hoping to put up-where we will be collecting rainwater and gray water from sinks and showers- for use in toilets, it took us a year to get it approved.
AND! I kid you not. We have to post signs in all public restrooms warning folks to not drink the toilet water.
I am not making that up. Honest.
aidan

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 06:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
that made me smile (or laugh) how ridiculous!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 07:27 am
The nice, cute and outgoing girl working in the coffeeshop, queried about something from the news, explaining that she thinks the Jobbik (Hungarian far right party) are just a creation of the left to discredit conservatism, and that she herself used to sympathise with the liberals but then realised that they were controlled by the Jews.

She was all apologetic and hesitant about it too, you know, "I don't know it all for sure, I'm just trying to learn about these things," but friends told her that .. x, y and z.
sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 07:44 am
@nimh,
Bleh.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 08:21 am
I was on the phone with Uncle Ed.

"No, I don't think I'll be able to go out to eat with you, but thanks for
asking," he said.

"You OK?"

Well, my sides are a little sore. I was on a ladder . . ."

"WHAT?" Uncle Ed will be 90 this year.

"It's only a ten-foot ladder."

"Uh-huh."

"I just needed to clear out a downspout. But I lost my balance a little and
I hurt my side twisting around so I wouldn't fall."

"So you didn't fall?"

"Nah, but I'm still a bit sore. My neighbor gave me a hand with the
downspout, so that's all right."

"Uncle Ed?"

"Yeah"

"If you get on that ladder again, I'm coming over there and taking it."

"Heh. OK."

"Just call me, all right?"

I've been trying to talk him into selling his house and moving into a nice
senior residence, but no luck so far. Stubborn.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 12:53 pm
A lady called today from the Massanutten resort, which is about 45 minutes NW of Cville on the far side of the mountains. She wanted directions, which I quite expertly, in my mind, gave her. A couple of hours later I realized my directions would have been dead on...if she was staying at the Wintergreen resort which is 25 miles west of Cville. Gasp!
sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 02:13 pm
Quote:
After nearly three months of waffling, Brett Favre has finally decided to sign with the Minnesota Vikings.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2009/08/17/daily33.html

Shocked
dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 04:16 pm
@sozobe,
Gasp!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/bear-animal-nature-film.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 04:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
Uh oh. How did that one work out....