What made you gasp, frown or stare today?

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
Oy!

They don't usually advertise that stuff when you are looking at the property.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
The blues singer on the stereo singing, "Come away with me, and I'll love you forever", while in the corner, on the silent TV, ice skaters swing and glide in perfect harmony
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:09 pm
I'm gasping as I watch my poor garden bake in the relentless sun. Hot, with northerly winds that dry everything out. Yesterday morning my clothes line was blown inside out! Shocked And I think one of my (bottlebrush) bushes in the backyard is going to expire. My lawn has big, yellow dead patches. (I can live with that. Come winter all will be fine again.) I don't dare peak at my rose bushes, out front. Tomorrow is going to be even hotter & drier. Poor plants, poor animals, poor birds .... Sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:56 pm
Today was a lovely, sunny, temperate day (like a byron bay winter day). But, it was the worst day I've had in ages. Man, was my mood foul.

I started the day with filling my cavities at the dentist. It seems to me there's something screwy going on there. They had to fix one filling I'd gotten there two years ago (free of charge). And they filled 2 more. That's like 10 fillings in 2 years. My teeth aren't THAT bad. I want to go get my records and go over them.

Then, kid stuff just made me insane all day. Eventually it all culminated in my getting a head-butt to the brow bone and a nice black eye. Lovely.

A ray of sunshine awaited my arrival home - my new dsl box! But, I had to get back on the phone with Verizon to get it started. I was crying by the time I called them.

<doing a raindance for Southern OZ)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:04 pm
littlek wrote:
<doing a raindance for Southern OZ)

Thanks, k!
Every little thing helps!

(I should have sent this to the what made you smile today? thread. Very Happy )
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 02:15 pm
For some strange reason,an adolescent Bottlenose Whale decided to swim up the Thames,up to and past The Houses Of Parliament.London came to a standstill.Thousands lining the banks of the river trying to get a glimpse of this amazing creature.It was "rescued" and loaded onto a barge which rushed towards the open sea about 40 miles away,but all was in veign.It died about an hour befor it was going to be released. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 02:24 pm
oooooohhhhhh.... that whale died? That's sad.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:17 pm
I made the mistake of going to the MALL today, a Saturday. I was going to get a haircut (only the best for Gargamel). And just the sheer amount of fat uninspired consumers waddling around made me feel terrible inside. I instantly got the **** out. I'll go back on Monday, when it's empty.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:35 pm
Aren't barbershops/hairdressers closed on Mondays in the U.S.?

Leaving the dogs at the groomers was grimace-making. They were both shaking so hard when we left. Setanta and I had to run out so the staff could get them to calm down. Confused
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 04:02 pm
Frown: The blond haired woman who comes into my store once or twice a month (sometimes with her blond haired husband) and two blond haired children aged perhaps four and three. We go on Blond Alert, assigning an employee to each kid as they race around the store, picking up and discarding things. The parents, preoccupied with their own shopping, say things like "put that back" or "don't touch." But the kids have learned to ignore those instructions. The ordeal alway ends when I or one of my employees has to follow the family out into the parking lot to retrieve the stuff that the kids pocketed after their temper tantrums failed to result in them being bought the items.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 01:46 am
RJB

Regarding the "blonde brigade": What do you think the blonde parents would do, on discovering the stolen loot in their childrens' pockets, at home? Return it to you? (Ha!)
And do the parents ever apologize when you have to recover stuff from their kids in the car park? If not, what exactly do they say to you?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 05:01 pm
ice floes of 10 by 15 meters floating down the danube ...

i walked across the bridge late this afternoon, because there were more of them on the buda side ... the crashing sound as they collided into each other and with the bridge pier ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 07:51 pm
Zebra path across the wide Rakoczi boulevard has a traffic light ... and a timer. Soon as the light turns green, the timer starts running ... from 12 seconds down. Ruuun!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 07:52 pm
Discovering that, not just does Budapest have a Cafe Amsterdam, a Cafe Rotterdam and a Cafe Spinoza, but in Dohany utca, not far from where I live in fact, there is actually a Pizzeria Den Haag ... a Pizzeria Den Haag?? Yeah sure, you open up a pizzeria in Hungary, you name it after a Dutch city, right?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
Its snowing again ... it's pretty now, but wait till it all turns into slush.

What I dont understand: all these people admirably busy at sweeping the sidewalk or cleaning their car, *while it is still snowing*. Isnt that kind of useless?

Oh, and here's one for the Americans .. the Hungarian word for snow is "ho" ... so I saw this poster, announcing an event ... it said in big letters:

A HO SHOW!

(Teehee)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:41 am
Also, a quote in a newspaper showing that people really do talk like that ... like in the gangster movies I mean:

Quote:
He is known as the Beast from the East, and is revered in his native Russia for being the WBA heavyweight boxing champion of the world. [..]

But Valuev [..] is now mired in allegations that threaten to damage his carefully-crafted image.

The 32-year-old heavyweight has been accused of beating up a 61-year-old parking attendant, and murky reports have started to emerge of his moving in criminal circles in the "wild" 1990s. [..]

Yuri Sergeev, the parking attendant, claims he was savagely beaten by the boxer for an imaginary slight upon Galina [Valuev's wife]. Valuev counters that Mr Sergeev was rude about his wife's parking, and that he swore at her, making her cry. [..]

While admitting he grabbed Mr Sergeev by the collar, Valuev denies beating up an older man nearly half his size. "There was a lot of black ice in that parking lot," he told a news conference. "What can I say? He slipped and fell. If I were to have hit him, the consequences for this man would have been far more serious."

Mr Sergeev was treated for concussion, bruises to his face, and scratches. The police are investigating but have so far not pressed charges.

Huhhuh ;-)

(from: Why Beast from the East could be out for the count)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:48 am
I did gasping and frowning.The company I work for seems to be going under so im out of a job in a few weeks.
Im incapable of doing any proper work as my brain has turned to mush over the last few years.
I hate interviews yet I have to get a well paid job.
Im up pooh creek without a paddle.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:51 am
Oh my, material girl!

This could be fate giving you a little nudge -- you've wanted out of this job for a long time, and if the whole company is going under, that's no blotch on your own record (as opposed to being fired for example).

You have a few weeks to find a new job and maybe even get a little vacation time in between!

Best of luck...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:41 pm
I was at a luncheon today. They had a raffle, so I paid my 2 bucks, and forgot about it. Then I won it. It was a HUGE Harry& David gift basket, with all kinds of chocolates, truffles, coffees & some sort of cake.

I did gasp when I saw it. It is absolutely gorgeous. The problem is that this is something that I need like an elephant needs roller skates!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:55 pm
Pshaw, Phoenix. It's CHOCOLATE! Everybody needs chocolate!!!
0 Replies