What made you gasp, frown or stare today?

Mandso

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 04:41 pm
yeah,
oh, man, i love those baskets
i won one once and my mum wouldn't let me have it
we eventually pursuaded her - but it was close
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:33 pm
This is true (isn't everything johnboy writes true?):
I have never worn a wrist-watch. I don't need to know, minute by minute, what time it is. I have never had an alarm clock. I always wake up at 6:30 am. A creature of habit.
Next Thursday (the 16th) I need to get up at 3 am in order to catch a plane at 6 am. But I don't have an alarm clock. If anyone is up at that hour (3 am Eastern Time usa), could you call me?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 07:47 pm
Cheney shooting an old man in the woods with a shotgun.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 07:50 pm
I'll be glad to call you, johnboy, as I am up sort of early, 4 - 6 am, lately, but then you can't trust me.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 09:01 pm
But 3 am my time would be, um, midnight or 1 am your time. I actually did a Google search and found, under Wake Up Calls, a place where for a mere $1.49 one could get a wake up call. I got a confirmation stating that they would call at the appointed time. But if any A2kers are awake at 3 am Eastern Time, I would appreciate your call on Thursday morning.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 09:07 pm
Eek, dumb moment re time.
Consider that I am still confused re being an hour late every day.
0 Replies

SpauldingSmails

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 04:37 pm
Today's Oprah. Scary stuff...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:36 pm
I was in my car, leaving the grocery store's parking lot when a woman stopped me. I rolled down the window and in broken english, I thought she was asking me to pay for her groceries. "You have Visa? You pay for groceries?" I told her that I was sorry, but that I didn't make enough money to pay for her groceries. She bristled and then continued, explaining (I eventually got it) that someone had left their visa in the store, she thought it might have been mine. I gave her a suprised 'OH!', but before I could say thank you, she grabbed her son's hand, spat that I probably earned more than she did, and stormed off. It made me cry. I am in one strange mood tonight.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:09 pm
This one is from when I was in Amsterdam with Cs last month ...

We were wandering around downtown, had gone into one of those diamond shops (a first for me, but thats what all the cruise ships come in for), and turning a corner or two, we passed by this exclusive cigar shop.

Very fancy, some of their more eye-strikingly fancy products in the shopwindow. Doesnt mean much to me but it sure looked exclusive.

we look at what's in there, semi-interested - and suddenly something catches my attention. What do we see? A prize item. A large, beautiful wooden box of real Cuban cigars ... adorned with a picture - in red - of Che Guevara.

It even says, in red letters: "Hasta la Victoria Siempre!"

Price of said cigar box: Euro 3,000 ($3,500-4,000).

Hasta la Victoria Siempre...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:13 pm
Did you buy the cigars, nimh?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:17 pm
Was tax day for me..... Shocked
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:23 pm
Driving to work today. Stuck in traffic at the scene of a fatal automobile meets pedestrian accident that happened weeks ago. Out the driver's side window I see bright orange police markings on the road...Left foot...Right shoe..etc. Gave me chills all day.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:44 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Did you buy the cigars, nimh?

Ha!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:06 pm
OK, this is really kinda weird, if you think about it <giggles>.

Wifi internet is (I've suddenly found out) pretty big in Budapest, and so is free wifi in cafes and restaurants. To my disappointment, it turned out not to be half as widespread in Prague; this index page for Prague's downtown district mostly lists non-entertaining places, and hardly any free ("Zdarma") ones. (Tho the Galerie Louvre Cafe, on Narodni, is recommended; go inside and up the stairs where, outside, it says Cafe Louvre (ignore that it looks dodgy) to find that trendy-looking place on the first floor (and the more classic, fancy Louvre Kavarna on the second floor)). But in Budapest, in any case, its a kind of must-have, it almost seems, for a self-respecting hip-pish cafe, and there's an incredibly userfriendly website to look 'em all up at hotspotter.hu.

The opportunity sure seems to hit on a market. Whether you go to the trendy Szoda cafe on Wesselenyi or, one street down, the more sedate new neighbourhood restaurant Koleves in Dob; there's another guy or two with a laptop. Geeks rule.

It only reaches a level of weirdness here, however. The brand-new, fully American-style California Coffee Company on the circular boulevard has made its offer of free wifi an essential part of its profile; all its posters have a "WiFi Zone" logo in the top corner. In Eklektika or Urania you just kinda have to know. Plus, on its convenient location and with its "just-like-in-California" style, it attracts a lot of tourists and expats. But still the effect is drastic; if you walk in right now and walk down to the counter along the comfy chairs, you pass ten customers lounging around - and seven of 'em are typing away on a laptop. Like its a bring-your-own-computer internet cafe or something. Imagine just coming in for a Latte and looking around and going, in little k style, uh ... what? Am I missing something?

The Take the Biscuit Award of the evening however goes to the young thing from France with her Chinese girlfriend to my right. She's got a webcam inside a plush doggie on top of her computer screen, and just now interrupted her chatting to stand up, angle the webcam in the right direction, and turn around in various ways to get her, eh, assets on the screen, this way and that (she's sat down again now but with the cam on a firm close-up of her breasts). Even when she goes to order a drink she turns the laptop around to remain on screen. Shocked
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:21 pm
OK, so yesterday or something I enabled this "Recommended News" function on Google News. It remembers the search queries you've entered and recommends you news stories of probable interest to you on the basis of it.

Today I look, and ...

Quote:
Recommended for nimhsemail @gmail.com » . . . . . . . . . . Learn more

Teen guilty of killing, dismembering classmate
Newsweek - 13 hours ago
- DIXON, Ill. - The stepmother of a 16-year-old girl
whose body was burned, sawed and hidden in two counties said the ...
Washington Post - Elgin Courier News - Today's THV - all 310 related »

Eehmm...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 08:15 pm
It was weird, I was thinking about something. (That in itself is weird too, but I mean, apart from that.) I found this new cafe I love, so, basically, I went there on my own once, and then I took Esther the other day and we were being very happy, and then met a friend of hers (an actor, Hungarian); and today "Susannah" said lets go to that place you were talking about, and of course she knew two-three people there, and I met a friend of Esther's who's the coolest. Anyway, so I think a girl who worked there thought I was cute (though perhaps in the dogs-kitties-and-little-kids way, I dunno), but then, I thought, perhaps no wonder, cos I musta looked like I was in the center of everything, you know. Little does she know that I spend 5 out of every 7 evenings reading the paper, working or taking a bath. Odd really, how that works. Then again she may be spending her 4 free evenings playing checkers, who knows.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 12:59 pm
nimh wrote:
Discovering that, not just does Budapest have a Cafe Amsterdam, a Cafe Rotterdam and a Cafe Spinoza, but in Dohany utca, not far from where I live in fact, there is actually a Pizzeria Den Haag ... a Pizzeria Den Haag?? Yeah sure, you open up a pizzeria in Hungary, you name it after a Dutch city, right?

Old Amsterdam, that first one is called. There's also a Dam Cafe (with Amsterdam's three X's) on Almassy Ter, and less obscurely, an Amstel River Cafe, downtown. Weird, eh?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:37 pm
I know how you feel, nimh. I had the same reaction a few years ago when I passed the Texas Cafe' in downtown Marseille.

Yes, France.

It was SO wrong. Sad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:45 pm
Kinda like driving through Paris Texas and stopping for lunch at the Hidleburg Inn for a crab meat taco and a sip of absinthe.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 05:05 pm
There's a place called "Paris, Texas" here in Budapest...

Amazingly, no place is named after Des Moines, though.
0 Replies