What made you gasp, frown or stare today?

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:53 pm
sozobe wrote:
Missed nimh's list 'til now, wow.

(Now I gotta know what happened to those damned giraffes...)

Yesterday I was doing some errands, was at a really tricky "T" intersection, where the top bar was the VERY busy street I was trying to turn onto (no light, just stopsign for me and nothing for them) and I was on the vertical bar. Whipping my head back and forth, hard to see beyond parked cars. Nobody coming that way great f!ck someone coming the other way. Nobody coming the other way f!ck someone coming that way. People behind me, didn't want to linger too long, hate those old-lady drivers who take forever. In between head-whippings something started to register about the store right across the street from me. "Nude Men" probably caught my eye first, then "Full Monty", then "Nude Women", then (nobody coming that way f!ck someone...) is that a...? (nobody coming that way f!ck) I swear that's a totally naked woman sitting in the window display chatting on a cell phone!!

I continued to headwhip while trying to ascertain what the hell was going on best I could. Turned out that she was a quite voluptuous woman sitting cross-legged and leaning forward so that (I eventually determined) the pink short low-cut slip she was wearing was rendered virtually invisible -- just flesh on view, lots of it. Oh and very high heeled silver sandals.

I eventually made the turn.

I think soz may be losing her mind.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:54 pm
Physically flinched on reading that.

Don't envy you your job one bit; awfully grateful that there are people like you doing it.

(goddamn, that's awful.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:55 pm
Um, my response was to dlowan.

Though the shift in tone certainly left my mind in an uncertain state.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:56 pm
I didn't notice dlowan's post right away. That is some vile stuff.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:18 pm
I'll think of giraffes instead!!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:37 pm
I don't blame you one bit.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:08 pm
wowsers. Dlowan, you have more strength than me, lady. I think I might go mad under such conditions.

Today I was staring at this man. Maybe 18ish. Hard to tell bc he looked so damn young to me. But he showed an id and was buying a pack of smokes. Very awkward and nervous like, pulling out that id. He got all flustered. It was very adorable and I was trying not to laugh. I felt so old lol.

What made me stare was him and his ipod or whatever the hell music thing that is in vogue. I am so out of touch and don't own any of that stuff. Him and these other two girls with ipods in the store.
Boom Boom boom blasting music and they didn't notice a god damn person around them.
He even stopped-started the thing each time the cashier would start-stop speaking to him. It was all disjointed and weird to me.
I was standing there contemplating 'the modern world' and all these people around me.
I definetly felt odd. It sprung a whole mood for me all day. Looking, watching, analyzing all the young people and all sorts of people with phones, ipods,laptops, and whathaveyous in public places.

Walking out the store, I was thinking 'damn, i should have toyed with him and pretended to be talking to him, then start-stop a loooong conversation with him just to see what he'd do!"

All this led me to frown in thought today thinking of how disjointed and jaded a lot of the world is. I'm inspired and fucked in the soul pondering how deep it goes.

ohhh well....i'll think of giraffes instead.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 04:57 am
Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

http://www.cleanfunny.com/pics/animal-giraffe-mother-baby-kiss-kissing.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 04:02 pm
When I woke this morning, I discovered the cats had somehow created a small hole in my doona..........which is stuffed with expensive 90% eiderdown...or was.

My bedroom is adrift with airy fluff.

And my vacuum cleaner is broken, and beginning its second week as an inpatient at the vacuum cleaner hospital.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 06:48 pm
Grrrr..... as if the rain isn't bad enough, the drivers in the rain are worse! Hello, wake up, it's just rain!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:44 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Former Ambassador to Croatia Peter Galbraith is claiming President George W. Bush was unaware that there were two major sects of Islam just two months before the President ordered troops to invade Iraq [..].

A year after his "Axis of Evil" speech before the U.S. Congress, President Bush met with three Iraqi Americans, one of whom became postwar Iraq's first representative to the United States. The three described what they thought would be the political situation after the fall of Saddam Hussein.

During their conversation with the President, Galbraith claims, it became apparent to them that Bush was unfamiliar with the distinction between Sunnis and Shiites.

Galbraith reports that the three of them spent some time explaining to Bush that there are two different sects in Islam--to which the President allegedly responded, "I thought the Iraqis were Muslims!"

Research by RAW STORY has confirmed a surprising lack of public statements from the president regarding the branches of Islam, but did uncover at least one mention of their existence. A fact sheet released by the White House in December of 2001 does indeed use the term Sunni to describe a Lashkar-E-Tayyib, "the armed wing of the Pakistan-based religious organization, Markaz-ud-Dawa-wal-Irshad."

Other mentions, not originating from the White House, were common in government documents and proceedings, as well as in media coverage of the middle east.

A year after his "Axis of Evil" speech. Just two months before he ordered troops to invade Iraq. Didn't know about Sunnis and Shi'ites. "I thought the Iraqis were Muslims!"

<blinks>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 10:06 pm
Blinking back with all I feared being true look.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 05:42 am
I went to the hospital yesterday for a check-up. It was kind of a gamble, because I had no appointment. I'd had three or four appointments, post-operation, on Friday mornings, but I'd missed the last one, and the next Friday I was at home with a cold, and the Friday after that (or rather, that whole week), it was a bit hectic at work with all kinds of meetings so I couldnt go - and I'd lost the doctor's cell (quite difficult to get hold of her through the central number). So now that yet another Friday morning rolled around I thought I'd just try.

Doctor wasnt there though. In fact, there was nobody in the waiting room either when I arrived, when normally there's lots of people sitting on the long benches down both sides of the long hallway. I waited around for a bit to see if anybody would come out, and soon was joined by another woman.

She was about my age, obviously not wealthy (probably from around the neighbourhood - Jozsefvaros, to Budapest what the Bowery once was to NYC), and had some nasty-looking infection on her nose and her ear. It was quite unpleasant to look at, all crusty and with some brown-red layer of I dont know, cream or crust or a combination of the two all on the top of her nose and the bottom of her ear. She explained that someone would come out soon, though, told me to sit down and wait with her.

She spoke slightly better English than I speak Hungarian - her grandfather had fled Hungary in '56 and moved to Bristol. He came back a few years ago. Her grandaunt and two other grandparents had also fled Hungary in '56. She introduced herself, her name was Valeria. She was outgoing and a tad erratic. Asked friendly questions, was I studying her, no oh what work did I do, was I staying at the kollegium here, and what work did I do? I told her again. I used the name of the local foundation, she lit up, oh thats great you work for them? She also apologetically complained, all she came in for was some cream, something with money or insurance, or rather, the lack of one or the other to get treatment, before a nurse came out, asked her how long it had been and why she hadnt come earlier, called her in then shood her out to come back some other time.

Having been told to come back next week myself as well I was getting on my bike when she came out, asked which direction I was going, oh I'm walking the same way. I have to go back to work, I apologised, I'm by bike. She asked what I had been in for (operation, kontroll), then explained something about her problem. I have it here, she gestured to her nose and ear and then her crotch. She cussed the doctors and nurses for surely just being inside watching the telly now, and then cheerfully went on her way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:52 am
Oh, dear. Wonder what the infection was.. (sigh).
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:20 am
What made me gasp today was hearing Anna Nicoles 20 year old son has died.
No idea why, Im not a fan of hers but its not the kind of thing I like to hear.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 08:59 am
Tiny sticker on a lamppost with the logo of "Balkanpimp Clothing".

Balkanpimp clothing? <raises eyebrow>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 01:04 pm
Zs of the coffeeshop tipped me off about an arts & crafts market in the museum of applied art - producers selling the things they make themselves, pre-Xmas. One of her customers was there. So I went today - and spent 140 euro on presents for people back home! Shocked 140 euro! Shocked Thats.. very un-Dutch. Or not in my family tradition, anyway. Damn.

Cute stuff though Smile
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 04:42 pm
I was walking down the street today, as I passed a woman she looked at me and tumbled to the ground in the most disgraceful fashion imaginable, heels into the air and all! I gasped and asked if she was ok!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 04:46 pm
ha. if you were looking at her the same way you're looking from your avatar, no wonder she tumbled!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:15 pm
stuh505 wrote:
I was walking down the street today, as I passed a woman she looked at me and tumbled to the ground in the most disgraceful fashion imaginable, heels into the air and all! I gasped and asked if she was ok!

Shocked That was you!?!?!
0 Replies