How desperate can a christian get?

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 04:50 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8z6CNtB0jQ&NR=1 This may have not been a christian but I do find it interesting that someone would do such a thing!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,901 • Replies: 43

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 08:15 pm
@reasoning logic,
I wouldn't assume it's a Christian that did it. That (the making of the video) is tantamount to lying and false accusing, which are both definitely against God.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 08:24 pm
@Arella Mae,
I do agree that it goes against the teachings of jesus as I would interpret it but so does the the end result of all churches that I know of!
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 08:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
All churches? I will agree there are many, many churches who do not preach the true gospel, but unless I have been to every church I can't honestly make the claim that none of them do.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 08:54 pm
@Arella Mae,
You are correct and I have not seen a church yet that preaches what I would think that jesus would want them to preach but then again I may be completely wrong about what I think jesus would want. I do find it odd though that I find jesus to be a great person and that the churches are only half teaching what was meant to be taught. Like I have said before I may have it all wrong!
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 09:00 pm
@reasoning logic,
What is it that you think Jesus would want to be taught?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 09:03 pm
@Arella Mae,
To treat your mother and everyone else indirectly the same way you would treat them directly! I will give a example in a few minutes.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 09:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
This is a old post of mine that I copied and pasted! {I am glad that you value your Mother as you do. Most people in my culture would respond the same as you have about their Mothers also. A sad truth is that we also have many people in our culture that have not talked to their Mothers in years, as they have arguments with them and break off all communications.
We also have mothers that have given birth to healthy babies and place their babies in garbage cans and in other places. But you know this type of behavior has been going on for thousands of years. It seems that even intelligent people have behaved like this. If I am not mistaken I have read the works of a great philosopher who wrote of how it requires a experienced lady to determine whether a child should be put on top of the hill to die. It may not of been all that bad though as I have read that not all of the babies died, as some people would come and get some of them and turn them into slaves.

I do often wonder what could be the root cause of all of this evil.

[This is not in any way intended to put anyone down but to only give the reader a different point of view, so please keep in check with reality!]

I do hope that this may be the last of the hypothetical questionings that I have to ask on this [one] point of view in order to share my point of view with you and all of the readers.
I would like to ask you and all of the other readers a few more hypothetical questions!
I will try to keep this simple.
If your mother was a maid and cleaned houses for a living, "her pay very well may be at the bottom of our pay scale. Let us imagine that her car broke down and she only had enough money for the parts, "You just happen to be a mechanic. "You look at her car and you see that the water pump went out and that it will take you about six hours to fix it, because the water pump is in a hard place to get to. I can only guess that you would probably help her free of charge?

Now lets say that your mother did not want to see you labor for her free of charge and instead she asked if it would be ok if she cleaned your house washed your cloths and cooked you a good dinner instead.

Would it be immoral of her to ask such a question of you being that you earn $60.00 per hour and she only earns $10.00 per hour? From what you have already shared with me on the love of your mother, it would not be immoral as she may only be trying to say thank you in the only way she knows how.

Now I would like to bring into question our philosophy of competition and rank as it will seem to be what guides her pay scale. [so to speak] We can see how it may seem immoral for us to take advantage of our love ones environmental challenges in a direct way.

We can overcome this view of immorality against our love ones by taking advantage of their environmental and intellectual challenges in a indirect way! They are not as smart as us so they will not see this! You can take advantage of my love ones and I can take advantage of yours and we can trade their labors between ourselves. We can rule and be happy!

We can call this competition and rank! we can teach this philosophy to our love ones in so many ways that it will become the norm and it may seem as a Devine right. Who knows we may even go to war over this one day.

Example. If I was a dentist and your mother had bad teeth and needed help I could fix them in about 2 hours and charge her 1 months worth of her labor. It is not all that bad because you are a mechanic and I have a few cars, a couple of personal water crafts and a boat that will need to be repaired and you will be able to profit off of your own mother as well. I will give you a cut of what I have gained from your mother. Their will be no need to have sorrow for your mother who has labored so hard to feed you and your siblings when you were growing up.
I am sure that many of you will give some of this money back to your own mothers, being that this money was recieved from your mothers laboring right? yes? If Not Then it does appears to me that you also have indirectly raped your own mother of her labors because you have agreed with this philosophy.
Is this the wrong way of viewing this? If so please explain the correct way.
I do know that things are more complex than my hypothetical explanation but I do think that there could be a better way of doing things than how we are doing them now!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 11:15 pm
You people have no sense of humor.

This video is obviously a joke. I think it is hilarious.
aidan

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 01:11 am
@reasoning logic,
I would bet my bottom dollar that there were no Christians involved in making this - it mocks Christianity, the Bible and Creationist views-that's the whole point of the video.

I found it rather awkward. Is that really Richard Dawkin's voice? I've never listened to him, so I wasn't sure.

edited to say, I just listened to his real voice - and that wasn't it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 03:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You people have no sense of humor.

This video is obviously a joke. I think it is hilarious.

Don't you think there are some things are sacred to people and shouldnt' be made fun of?

reasoning, I'll respond to you a bit later when I get home from work.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 03:35 pm
@Arella Mae,
No.

Sacred things should be made fun of. In fact, I can imagine the opposite. It is quite possible for something to not be sacred enough to make fun of.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 03:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Unless I am misunderstanding you, from what you are saying I guess it's okay to make fun of fat people? Different ethnic groups, homosexuals, midgets, ugly people, old people, heck just make fun of everybody for anything and everything? If I am misunderstanding you then I do apologize. Also, I don't always quite get when some people are being witty or sarcastic.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 04:38 pm
@Arella Mae,
Obesity, ethnicity, homosexuality, genetic conditions, ugliness or age are not sacred.

The word sacred refers to the idols that society sets up. There are ideas that we are supposed to accept without questioning. There are feelings that we are supposed to feel without doubt.

Knocking over the sacred things is crucial for any progress or justice. Humor has always been a powerful way to do this.

Mother Jones said; "My business is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable". The best humor does exactly that.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 08:25 pm
@maxdancona,
One of the definitions of sacred is (from Merriam-Websters):

b : highly valued and important <a sacred responsibility>

That is the definition to which I am speaking. I don't think it's right to make fun of what people believe or don't believe. What good does it accomplish? None that I can see.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 08:26 pm
@reasoning logic,
I am afraid that I just don't really understand what it is you are saying.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 08:37 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I don't think it's right to make fun of what people believe or don't believe. What good does it accomplish? None that I can see.

It accomplishes plenty of good. For example, it challenges us as a society to question strongly held beliefs.

You do agree that questioning is a good thing, don't you?
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 08:43 pm
@maxdancona,
Who are you or who am I to question someone's religious beliefs? Everyone has a right to their religion. Now, if that religion contained human sacrifice I could see a problem.

I believe what I believe and I give others the same right that I have. I don't have to agree with their beliefs but I don't have to make fun of them either.

That just goes to "mocking someone because they are different". If we do that as a society, I don't see we've progressed very far.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:35 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Who are you or who am I to question someone's religious beliefs? Everyone has a right to their religion. Now, if that religion contained human sacrifice I could see a problem.

You are switching between two very different terms; "questioning" and "mocking".

Questioning is an important part of life. I question other peoples beliefs. I question my own beliefs. I can't think of anything that shouldn't be questioned.

You can question without mocking.

Mocking is an attack at least by the way I use the word. There is good natured humor, but for the sake of this discussion let's make this distinction. Mocking is meant to attack a belief or the people who hold it.

So when is attacking someone's beliefs acceptable?

Well certainly when people's beliefs threaten me, I have the right to defend myself, and when these beliefs are backwards or inconsistent, humor is a very effective way to do this.

One example, the gay marriage debate. This is a clear attack people's rights that effects their lives by preventing them from doing something that they want to do. The people stopping gay marriage are attacking people who want to have gay marriages. If you believe the opposite is true, my argument still stands.

Humor is a perfectly fine way of fighting this battle that needs to be fought.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:37 pm
@Arella Mae,
I would also point out that if you mock me, you in know way take away my rights. I can ignore you. I can mock you back. There is no reason that I can't hold on to my beliefs.

This is not an issue of rights.