Let's Have a 2nd Annual TX Gathering - Fall '04 - dates TBD

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 11:46 pm
I'm more than ready. I have not been to Austin since July 1996, cannot wait to return.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:47 am
10 days and counting! Very Happy[/size]

If you haven't PMed me with your arrival time/day (and real name), please do that to help us find each other...

For dinner on Friday evening, I'm wondering if we should try to go to the place in the hills that Max told us about? It's a bit of a drive, but it's supposed to be worth the trip. It will depend on what time most of us are arriving that day.
0 Replies

max

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:52 am
Not sure if that would be the perfect place for dinner. Maybe a lunch. Its pretty far out there from central Austin. Hardly any lights on 2222.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:02 am
Darn! Okay, we'll put it on the list of possible Saturday activities. Thanks max...
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 11:13 am
An update on my status and schedule:

I plan to make it to as many activities as possible. I don't know my work schedule eight days in advance, because I will likely have a new full-time job by then. And it's not easy to ask for time off when one has not yet accepted any offers... Meantime, I'm running around looking for meaningful, satisfying, paying work like a chicken with its head cut off.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 11:15 am
Wow! A marycat sighting!

Good luck with the job search. I'm glad to hear that you'll be joining us for at least some of the festivities. I look forward to meeting you!
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 11:25 am
Thank you! I look forward to meeting you as well.

I'm not supposed to be here today, you know, but one of my interviews called to reschedule this morning. So I'm out of the suit and into plainclothes and thinking that despite some looming deadlines, I just need a half-day off. So this is my half day. Trying to catch up, say hello, and relax. And catch up on laundry!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:56 am
Seven days and counting (six, for those of you getting to Austin ahead of me on Friday).

We'll be driving over from Houston in the p.m., probably arriving after 8.

I am perplexed as to how we can identify ourselves to one another...nametags? Funny hats?

Seriously; suggestions, please.

I'll be ready for a bit of merriment Friday evening (dinner possible but libations certain).

Breakfast on Saturday morning for the early risers should be a redezvous for activities for the day. Here are some:

The Austin Film Festival starts ahead of our weekend but continues all through it; (pasting from their listing now) featuring 100 small and large budget films, a screenplay and film competition, a young filmmakers program and a four-day screenwriters' conference with sixty panels and discussions. Some films to expect are "Mystic River" with Sean Penn, "Pieces of April" with Katie Holmes and "Prey for Rock and Roll" with Gina Gershon.

The Mediterranean Festival will be going on Friday night and Saturday night (from 6 p.m. on): "This year's 71st Med Fest will be two nights filled with fantastic music, belly dancers, arts and crafts bazaars, children's activities and face painting. The real reason to attend, though, is the out-of-this-world Mediterranean food--from authentic, home-cooked fare such as spanakopita, gyros, kibbeh, dolmas and tabbouleh to souvlaki and baklava. Don't forget to sample some of the Mediterranean wine..."

In a previous post in this thread I mentioned the Austin Green Party festival,at which Greg Palast will be speaking. I'll go and hear him at the very least.

Did anyone watch the TV show "Last Comic Standing"? One of the finalists, Ralphie May, is doing his standup routine in town at the Capitol City Comedy Club.

There's also a Shakespeare Festival taking place in the evenings at 8.

The O. Henry Museum is ongoing and free and located on E. Fifth, not far from where several of us are staying.

The LBJ library on the UT campus and the Bullock state museum are on my itinerary (as well as the Capitol, especially if redistricting antics are still ongoing).

So, I'll be Greening and museuming and librarying it all day Saturday; with a recon back at the HI Town Lake for bats, then dinner, then a Sixth Street pub crawl.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 04:14 pm
Sounds great, PDiddie! Lots of options for Saturday.

As for Friday, several of us will be arriving before you, as early as 3 or 4 pm, which will be in time for some getting-to-know-you conversation. I suggest we meet in the lobby of the Holiday Town Lake at 4:30. I'll make an A2K sign.

We need to settle on a dinner location for Friday nite so that those arriving later can find us. I'll go back and look at suggestions from earlier on the thread. Since we're going to be on Sixth St. on Saturday night, maybe it should be a different part of town...? All suggestions from you local Austinites are welcome. Max? Sinker?

Priorities would be not too loud, and a place that won't rush us out the door.

Less than a week to go! Woo-hoo!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 09:26 pm
I plan to met make at the Holiday Inn at 4:30. I will be wearing a red had and purple, my new status as a member of the Red Hat Society.

Macll - will you take pictures of me so I can post the for ehBeth?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 07:05 am
JoanneD, I don't own a camera! Is anyone planning to bring one? I can buy a disposable one if necessary...

Hey marycat, I didn't mean to leave you out of that request to help us find a restaurant. Do you know of any likely places?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 07:30 am
I have a camera and will have it with me. (Getting extra batteries and film today.) I also I have a digital camera that works well........if I can find it. Hopefully I will and will have it too.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 07:34 am
Thanks Lola!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 09:03 am
I am bringing disposable cameras, two so everyone be ready to get their picture taken.

Austin, man it will look good I have not been there since 1996. Maybe I will have to come on down Thursday and get my bearings.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:00 am
In less than 48 hours the little white car will be heading south. Oh by the way I am bringing the Supeme Bean (my dog) but she will stay in the hotle mostly.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:11 am
Very Happy I'll be heading west (mostly) in about 50 hours!

Sad But I'm allergic to the Supreme Bean.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 04:02 pm
You are allergic to dogs? Well then she will have to stay in the room.

Or I can leave her home my young cousin like to take care of her, maybe I will do that.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:27 pm
Looking forward to this.......see you all soon.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:43 pm
Your choice, Joanne, I'll just need to keep a distance from her.

Hey Lola, what's your ETA? If you've told me, I've forgotten!

We've made no decisions about dinner on Friday, but I figure we can sort it out when we get there and leave messages for the later arrivals.

This will be great!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:52 pm
One lurking vicarious attendee here!

Have a ball!
0 Replies