62% of republicans thinks sadam was involved in 9/11

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:54 pm
freedom4free wrote:
DrewDad wrote
Quote:
I presume that the point of the thread is to show that Republicans are uninformed idiots.

That was the correct reason Drew. Very Happy

But because i actually did not explain that, Brandon also has the right to presume whatever he wants.

Then again i thought it was obvious. Embarrassed

Sorry folks. Crying or Very sad

Lol! Nah, you did good.

The only ones who didn't get it were the same ones who are in the 62%, thereby proving your original point.

Subtle tactics there.

:wink:
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:56 pm
Quite so.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:58 pm
Yes, if it is accurate. Had I been Bush with all the evidence he had at the time, ..if I was assured SH was aiding OBL, I would have done it, too. The inspections process did give me pause, but SH screwing around behind their backs and making the inspections process a joke likely would have caused me to remove SH. SH was a perennial bad actor that most likely couldn't have been left in power.

It is the reason we invaded Afghanistan.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 08:11 pm
Nah. Afghanistan was not at all just about "if"s and "possibly"s and "logical conclusion"s. Bin Laden was in Afghanistan. Under the protection of the Taliban. The Taliban were actually asked to extradite him, or face the consequences. They actually said "no".

Now Iraq: What leads you to the assumption that Saddam Hussein was screwing around behind the backs of the UNMOVIC inspectors?

And who exactly would have told Bush that Saddam was aiding Bin Laden?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 09:53 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Because it's close enough. Even if that wasn't the purpose in the author's mind, some people would take it that way.

Well, you did. That's one.

Brandon9000 wrote:
I have heard countless arguments against the war in Iraq that focus on arguing against a Saddam - 9/11 connection.

In other threads, no doubt.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Besides, it's not a matter of such great urgency that every post be perfect, it's just a message board. Your posts, for instance, aren't always very respectful of the author's stated intention for the thread.

Sadly, that's true, and I grieve for my past indiscretions. But then I never tried to defend them with some cockamamie excuse that I was preemptively responding to a position that the original poster never took.

I'm not trying to defend them. I'm answering you. I couldn't care less about your boring story of my indiscretions in this thread. You people are wrong about the invasion of Iraq, and wrong about Bush, and you demonstrate it by yapping at my heels about trivia, in lieu of any kind of intelligent support for your various positions.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:14 am
Just the facts.
OE, it's hard for me to believe you aren't aware of these infractions--but moreso, the subterfuge that took place during the last round of inspections--the UNMOVIC inspectors were bugged, so SH knew where they were going to inspect on any given day--they were held outside of some facilities, while trucks were loaded with materials in the back of the facilities and driven off--the Iraqi scientists were heavily "mindered" during interviews and reportedly threatened against speaking honestly--one Iraqi scientist screaming for help, was dragged away from a UN convoy by Iraqi "police" and never seen alive again...

Surely, you know these things.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:16 am
It would seem that with Bush's loss of support from many in his base his house of cards is beginning to crumble. Lame duck presidency may be a good discription of the remainder of his term.

Fitting lame brain becomes lame duck. :wink:
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:25 am
This is a definitive article on the facts on the ground circa the inspections.
It is after a serious threat from Bush and a failed round of inspections. By then, SH had things removed to his satisfaction, and had been more open about showing facilities.

But, if you aren't just trying to disprove what I'm saying, and you are legitimately interested in why SH is not trusted re the inspections--and his weapons procurement--read the article.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 08:08 am
Just as a matter of interest, someone or other here said that this was not worth discussing because the figures were from 2004, does anyone have recent figures on whether the number of Republicans still believing this stuff has declined?

(Kind of an interesting in terms of cognitive dissonance theory, as well as for other reasons.)

And on Americans in general?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 08:28 am
Bush needs some new material.

President Bush's speech: Doing the 9/11 time warp again

The New York Times

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2005

President Bush's speech: Doing the 9/11 time warp again

Quote:

The New York Times

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2005

On Thursday, the same day New Yorkers were warned there was a "specific threat" of a bombing on their subways, President George W. Bush delivered what the White House promoted as a major address on terrorism. It seemed, on the surface, like a perfect topic for the moment. But his talk was not about America's current challenges. He delivered a reprise of his Sept. 11 rhetoric that suggested an avoidance of today's reality that seemed downright frightening.
The period right after 9/11, for all its pain, was the high point of the Bush presidency. Four years ago, Americans hung on every word when Bush denounced Al Qaeda, and made the emotional - but, as it turned out, empty - vow to track down Osama bin Laden. On Thursday, it seemed as if the president was still trying to live in 2001. It was eerie to hear him urge Americans to take terrorism seriously. There wasn't any reason to worry about that even before subway riders were being told about the threat of a terrorist attack on their commute home.
He seemed to be reading from a very old and familiar script as he revealed that terrorists recruit "disillusioned young men and women," some of whom build weapons based on information available on the Internet. He shared his conviction that "it is cowardice that seeks to kill children and the elderly with car bombs." He said his team was "reforming our intelligence agency" and reorganizing government for "a broad and coordinated homeland defense."
Ever since the terrorist attacks, the main thing Americans have wanted from Washington is a sense of safety. That takes more than hyperalertness to suicide bombing threats, important as that is. No matter what the terrorists are up to, it is not possible to feel safe if the federal government does not appear to know what it is doing on so many different levels.
Thursday was an ideal moment for Bush to demonstrate that he was really in control of his administration. He could have taken any one of a number of pressing worries and demonstrated that he was on the job, re-examining the problems, working on answers.
For instance, he could have addressed the crisis facing the overstretched military due to the endless demands made by Iraq on both the U.S. Army and the beleaguered National Guard.
The speech came one day after the White House threatened to veto a bill onto which the Senate added a ban on the use of "cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment" against prisoners of the U.S. government.
This president could not find the spine to veto a bloated transportation bill that included wildly wasteful projects like the now-famous "bridge to nowhere" in Alaska. What kind of priorities does that suggest? If Americans ever needed the president to demonstrate that he has a working understanding of exactly where he wants to take the United States, they need it now.
The president's inability to grow beyond his big moment in 2001 is unnerving. But the fact that his handlers continue to encourage him to milk 9/11 is infuriating. For most Americans, the memories are fresh and painful. They mourn the people who died on Sept. 11, as they mourn Daniel Pearl and other Americans, not to mention innocents from other countries, who were murdered by terrorists. The administration's penchant for using these victims as political cover is offensive. It threatens to turn Americans' wounds, and their current fears, into cynical and desperate spin.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 08:37 am
Do the Republicans watch/read the News ?

MSNBC June 17, 2004

9/11 commission: No link between bin Laden and Saddam

Quote:
CHRIS MATTHEWS, HOST: This is a development a lot of people will find clarifying is that there was no direct connection between Saddam Hussein and 9/11.

Quote:
THOMAS KEAN, 9/11 COMMISSION CHAIRMAN: Well, that's what our staff has found. Now, it doesn't mean there weren't al Qaeda connections with Iraq over the years. They're somewhat shadowy, but I think they were there. But with 9/11, no, our staff has found no evidence of that.

Gallo Poll October 05, 2004

62% of Republicans think Saddam Hussein was personally involved in the 9/11 attacks.

Note the dates.

I just dont get it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 09:17 am
Huh. I don't know any Republicans that believe Saddam was personally involved in the 9/11 attacks. I know I certainly don't. From reading this thread, none of the contributing folks from the right believ that either.

I believe that as a result of 9/11 and the ensuing war on terror that Saddam presented an unacceptable risk to US interests through his known links to terrorism, his inability to prove his divorce from WMD's and his history of violence and aggression.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 10:38 am
freedom4free wrote:
I just dont get it.

We know. You and 99.9% of the Left "just don't get it".

Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 10:55 am
I suppose, the 0.1% who gets it, is Tony Blair.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 04:36 pm
freedom4free wrote:
Do the Republicans watch/read the News ?
You should double-check your own answer to the "read" portion of this question.MSNBC June 17, 2004

9/11 commission: No link between bin Laden and Saddam
The report said no such thing. There were numerous connections, links and meetings between Iraq and OBL et al.
Quote:
THOMAS KEAN, 9/11 COMMISSION CHAIRMAN: Well, that's what our staff has found. Now, it doesn't mean there weren't al Qaeda connections with Iraq over the years. They're somewhat shadowy, but I think they were there. But with 9/11, no, our staff has found no evidence of that.[/b]

Gallo Poll October 05, 2004

62% of Republicans think Saddam Hussein was personally involved in the 9/11 attacks.
Personally involved can be directly or indirectly involved. I don't know anyone who thinks SH's assistance was direct--but a lot of people believe he supplied a wealth of indirect assistance.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 09:39 pm
I wasn't aware that "personal" and "indirect" were synonyms. Live and learn, I guess.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 09:48 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I wasn't aware that "personal" and "indirect" were synonyms. Live and learn, I guess.

"Personal" isn't synonymous with "direct," either. (Trying to expedite your living and learning a bit.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 10:09 pm
Perhaps I should have included this; I assumed you would be able to remember or at least read what you had previously written.

Lash wrote:
Personally involved can be directly or indirectly involved.

So again I'll say, I wasn't aware that "personal" and "indirect" were synonyms.

Learning from you would be like drinking from an empty cup, I think.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 11:32 pm
Learning from me would be an improvement to remaining ignorant, I think.

Neither directly, nor indirectly has to be synonymous with personally. They are modifiers for personally. You're trying valiently to reframe the context of the point, but you won't.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 04:01 am
Lash wrote
Quote:
Personally involved can be directly or indirectly involved. I don't know anyone who thinks SH's assistance was direct--but a lot of people believe he supplied a wealth of indirect assistance.

Quote:
"The Bush administration [has] sent U.S. technology to the Iraqi military and to many Iraqi military factories, despite over-whelming evidence showing that Iraq intended to use the technology in its clandestine nuclear, chemical, biological, and long-range missile programs."

No this quotation is not pulled from a conspiracy-minded website, but from the Congressional Record from July 27, 1992. They are the words of the late Congressman Henry Gonzalez of Texas.

We were also personally involved with Saddam right ?
0 Replies