62% of republicans thinks sadam was involved in 9/11

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 07:40 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
It's of little consequence. This isn't the reason Bush gave for invading Iraq.

Who said it was?

Are you unaware that he said repeatedly that his motive for wanting to invade was WMD?

No, I'm not unaware of that. But then that doesn't answer my question. When presented with poll results indicating that a majority of Republicans think that Saddam Hussein was involved in the 9-11 attacks, you replied: "It's of little consequence. This isn't the reason Bush gave for invading Iraq." So I'm still left wondering: who said it was? In other words, why would you bring up the rationale for invading Iraq when the poll didn't ask people what they thought was the rationale for invading Iraq?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 07:52 am
Lash, formerly 4.0 wrote:
Similar meetings between Iraqi officials and Bin Ladin or his aides may have occurred in 1999 during a period of some reported strains with the Taliban. According to the reporting, Iraqi officials offered Bin Ladin a safe haven in Iraq. Bin Ladin declined, apparently judging that his circumstances in Afghanistan remained more favorable than the Iraqi alternative. The reports describe friendly contacts and indicate some common themes in both sides' hatred of the United States.
The report goes on to say that the September 11 investigators found "no evidence that these or the earlier contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship."
It also says that the commission did not find any "evidence indicating that Iraq cooperated with al Qaeda in developing or carrying out any attacks against the United States."

I'll choose this one excerpt (with Lash's emphases intact) to illustrate just how tendentious and tenuous her arguments are.

It's clear from the 9-11 Commission report that there may have been some slight, insignificant contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda prior to the 9-11 attacks. But the report also concludes that those contacts, in the end, amounted to very little, certainly no active support by Saddam for al Qaeda or its objectives. Indeed, the report notes that bin Laden was an enemy of Saddam's Baathist regime.

Emphasizing the contacts, without mentioning the conclusions, is disingenuous at best. It would be like saying the following:
    "[i]There is [u]evidence[/u] that [b]Lash[/b] wrote over a hundred love letters to George Bush prior to 9-11.[/i] There is, however, no evidence that Bush ever responded, except with a form letter thanking her for her continued support."
On that basis, could we conclude that Lash had a close relationship with Bush? I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but perhaps Lash and the National Review would.

Lash wrote:
Obvious close contact far previous to 911.

Why would you ignore it?

Because it is a figment.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:51 pm
kuvasz wrote:

hello lash, hope all is well with your readings, jesus doesn't like liars or confabulators like stephen hayes. and he is well known as one in the intel field, his books on this subject having been so debunked that they are considered fictional pieces or cruel jokes on the truth by intel professionals.
Hi. I did tell my daughter about your titles and as soon as we can get some reading projects behind us, we plan to check one of them out.
But for some unknown reason his essays and books are brandished like cleavers by the uninformed right wing when in fact they have the intellectual sharpness of warm butter.
I hear you, but actually the parts of Hayes' article I'm interested in is where he quotes the 911 Commission report and then elucidates. I'm not hanging my argument on Hayes or the National Review. It is affixed to the words in the 911 Commission Report. You guys continue to try to change my argument, and then assail the argument you created.
you linked an essay by Hayes that is just another superficial distortion that leaves out much information that undermines the general thrust of the argument that Saddam was a harborer of al-Quida or simply an old folks home for terrorists.
Well. I'll be happy to go point counterpoint, but the 911 Report is really all that is necessary.
or to point to the linked references to the documents provided to the 911 commission, or the select senate intelligence committee )SSCI), where both found no operational evidence of support between saddan hussein and al quida.
This is what I reference above. I did not say there is evidence of an operational relationship. There is evidence of a relationship, however, and in my opinion, the only credible assumption is that they either had--or planned to have--a mutually beneficial relationship. Knowing of their meetings and envoys and offers of assistance and cooperation, I think only someone is very deep denial would say that they knew the two absolutely did not have any type of relationship--I showed up here when people were acting like it was fodder for personal insult to even hold out a belief that a collusion was possible. It was not only possible--it was likely.
in fact if one is to refer to collusion between iraq and al quida because some al quida members were in iraq under saddam's reign, then a case could be made that george bush colluded with al quida because al quida agents were in the US when bush was president.
I said it was possible--and that the insulting language on this thread toward those who see a pattern, that possibly--and likely--led to a mutually beneficial relationship--is overdone and unsupportable.
lets get to the facts here so you don't get taken by hayes again.

first go to the sources:

SSCI Report

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/serialset/creports/iraq.html

read it and find where there was any operational support mentioned.
Didn't say there was operational support, if you will check.
http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/index.htm

Notes of that Report. (Report by the National Commission on terrorisat attacks upon the United States)

Chapter 2 The Foundation of the New Terrorism

Quote:
Bin Ladin was also willing to explore possibilities for cooperation with Iraq, even though Iraq's dictator, Saddam Hussein, had never had an Islamist agenda-save for his opportunistic pose as a defender of the faithful against "Crusaders" during the Gulf War of 1991. Moreover, Bin Ladin had in fact been sponsoring anti-Saddam Islamists in Iraqi Kurdistan, and sought to attract them into his Islamic army. (ref 53)
This is evidence of nothing. The fact that Saddam made overtures negates the value of this assumption.
53. CIA analytic report,"Ansar al-Islam:Al Qa'ida's Ally in Northeastern Iraq," CTC 2003-40011CX, Feb. 1, 2003.

Quote:
To protect his own ties with Iraq, Turabi reportedly brokered an agreement that Bin Ladin would stop supporting activities against Saddam. Bin Ladin apparently honored this pledge, at least for a time, although he continued to aid a group of Islamist extremists operating in part of Iraq (Kurdistan) outside of Baghdad's control. In the late 1990s, these extremist groups suffered major defeats by Kurdish forces. In 2001, with Bin Ladin's help they re-formed into an organization called Ansar al Islam. There are indications that by then the Iraqi regime tolerated and may even have helped Ansar al Islam against the common Kurdish enemy. (ref 54)
This is AQ, OBL and Saddam in bed.
54. Ibid.; Intelligence report, al Qaeda and Iraq, Aug. 1, 1997.

Quote:
With the Sudanese regime acting as intermediary, Bin Ladin himself met with a senior Iraqi intelligence officer in Khartoum in late 1994 or early 1995. Bin Ladin is said to have asked for space to establish training camps, as well as assistance in procuring weapons, but there is no evidence that Iraq responded to this request. (ref 55)
This is willingness of the part of OBL to work with Saddam, negating all assumptions that OBL looked down on SH's secularity. He asked for training camps. Please explain Salman Pak and moreso--why SH wouldn't join forces with the one person in the world who may have hated W and the US more than he did??55. Intelligence reports, interrogations of detainee, May 22, 2003; May 24, 2003. At least one of these reports dates the meeting to 1994, but other evidence indicates the meeting may have occurred in February 1995. Greg interview (June 25, 2004).
This is in my favor. It corresponds with Iraqi defectors remarks about Islamists training at Salman Pak around this time.Two CIA memoranda of information from a foreign government report that the chief of Iraq's intelligence service and a military expert in bomb making met with Bin Ladin at his farm outside Khartoum on July 30, 1996. The source claimed that Bin Ladin asked for and received assistance from the bomb-making expert, who remained there giving training until September 1996, which is when the information was passed to the United States. See Intelligence reports made available to the Commission.The information is puzzling, since Bin Ladin left Sudan for Afghanistan in May 1996, and there is no evidence he ventured back there (or anywhere else) for a visit. In examining the source material, the reports note that the information was received "third hand," passed from the foreign government service that "does not meet directly with the ultimate source of the information, but obtains the information from him through two unidentified intermediaries, one of whom merely delivers the information to the Service." The same source claims that the bomb-making expert had been seen in the area of Bin Ladin's Sudan farm in December 1995.

Quote:
There is also evidence that around this time Bin Ladin sent out a number of feelers to the Iraqi regime, offering some cooperation. None are reported to have received a significant response. According to one report, Saddam Hussein's efforts at this time to rebuild relations with the Saudis and other Middle Eastern regimes led him to stay clear of Bin Ladin. (ref 74)
More Bin Laden proving willingness and motivation to work with SH.
74. Intelligence report, unsuccessful Bin Ladin probes for contact with Iraq, July 24, 1998; Intelligence report, Saddam Hussein's efforts to repair relations with Saudi government, 2001

Quote:
In mid-1998, the situation reversed; it was Iraq that reportedly took the initiative. In March 1998, after Bin Ladin's public fatwa against the United States, two al Qaeda members reportedly went to Iraq to meet with Iraqi intelligence. In July, an Iraqi delegation traveled to Afghanistan to meet first with the Taliban and then with Bin Ladin. Sources reported that one, or perhaps both, of these meetings was apparently arranged through Bin Ladin's Egyptian deputy, Zawahiri, who had ties of his own to the Iraqis. In 1998, Iraq was under intensifying U.S. pressure, which culminated in a series of large air attacks in December. (ref 75)

75. Intelligence report, Iraq approach to Bin Ladin, Mar. 16, 1999.

I mean, you make my case. We had one willing and motivated, and the other reticent. Now, we have all we need to make my case that the possibility and likelihood existed. Now, we have proof that SH was seeking out OBL, who he knew wanted his help and partnership. They met. They had the same goal. One had safe harbor, the other had the organization. It was a perfect partnership. Why did SH establish meetings with a man who we know had asked for training ground and a partnership? Discuss old times? Discuss their religious similarities? Why?

Quote:
Similar meetings between Iraqi officials and Bin Ladin or his aides may have occurred in 1999 during a period of some reported strains with the Taliban. According to the reporting, Iraqi officials offered Bin Ladin a safe haven in Iraq. Bin Ladin declined, apparently judging that his circumstances in Afghanistan remained more favorable than the Iraqi alternative. The reports describe friendly contacts and indicate some common themes in both sides' hatred of the United States. But to date we have seen no evidence that these or the earlier contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship. Nor have we seen evidence indicating that Iraq cooperated with al Qaeda in developing or carrying out any attacks against the United States. (ref 76)
The offer was made. At the time, it may not have been in OBL's best interests, but the offer was made and on the table. What more do reasonable people need? It was possible and likely that they worked together. SH provided free access and safe harbor, a training ground, money, logistics and manpower. OBL provided organization and zealotry to attract manpower. They were perfect together.

76. CIA analytic report,"Ansar al-Islam:Al Qa'ida's Ally in Northeastern Iraq," CTC 2003-40011CX, Feb. 1, 2003. See also DIA analytic report,"Special Analysis: Iraq's Inconclusive Ties to Al-Qaida," July 31, 2002; CIA analytic report,"Old School Ties," Mar. 10, 2003.We have seen other intelligence reports at the CIA about 1999 con-tacts.They are consistent with the conclusions we provide in the text, and their reliability is uncertain. Although there have been suggestions of contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda regarding chemical weapons and explosives training, the most detailed information alleging such ties came from an al Qaeda operative who recanted much of his original information. Intelligence report, interrogation of al Qaeda operative, Feb. 14, 2004.Two senior Bin Ladin associates have adamantly denied that any such ties existed between al Qaeda and Iraq. Intelligence reports, interrogations of KSM and Zubaydah, 2003 (cited in CIA letter, response to Douglas Feith memorandum,"Requested Modifications to 'Summary of Body of Intelligence Reporting on Iraq-al Qaida Contacts (1990-2003),'" Dec. 10, 2003, p. 5).

Now as to those harboured terrorists....

1. Abu Nidal.

http://www.janes.com/security/international_security/news/jwit/jwit020823_1_n.shtml

Quote:

Whether this is true or not doesn't prove anything either way.

2. Abu Abbas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2952879.stm

Quote:
His capture in Baghdad in April 2003 was used by the United States as evidence that Iraq had been harbouring international terrorists, and his detention an example to others in the post-11 September, post-Saddam climate.

Turning a blind eye to anyone who has a record like his - and his group did murder an elderly, disabled man - was not an option for a US administration. But he was not quite the big catch in the the Americans were seeking for their "war on terror".

Abbas' arrest was not the link between Iraq and al-Qaeda that Washington had been seeking to establish. He came from a different era.
He was a Palestinian terrorist. His birthday doesn't matter. He was an Islamist.
He ended up in Baghdad because there was nowhere else for this aging militant or terrorist leader to go. He and his kind have been partly overtaken by the new zealots from al-Qaeda, Hamas and Islamic Jihad, who are motivated by religion as well as nationalism.
Overtaken, or joined?
Even Israel allowed him in and out of Gaza a few years ago as it accepted that he had given up violence and was supporting the Oslo peace process. Israel could not prosecute him under the terms of the Oslo accords anyway.
This is meaningless. It isn't proof of anything..

4. Abu Musab al Zarqawi

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/crime/terrorists/abu-musab-al-zarqawi/

Quote:
Zarqawi found shelter in Iran for a while, but Colin Powell didn't care. According to U.S. intelligence, Zarqawi traveled to Iraq in early 2002, and allegedly began associating with Ansar al-Islam, an impoverished group of 600 to 800 Iraqi Kurds whose stated goal was to secede from Saddam's Iraq so that its tiny, ethnically exclusive clan could go hide out in the mountains.

Of course, there's room for a different interpretation of Ansar's role. For instance, if you're Colin Powell and you're desperate to sell an Iraq invasion to the international community, you could argue that Ansar was a "sinister nexus between Iraq and the al Qaeda terrorist network, a nexus that combines classic terrorist organizations and modern methods of murder."

The American Heritage Dictionary defines a nexus as "A means of connection; a link or tie." Whatever else Ansar was, it certainly wasn't a nexus.
Says who? Ansar al Islam became an offshoot of AQ.
Geographically stuck between Iran, Iraq and the mainstream Kurds, Ansar was not an effective force in the region. al Qaeda briefly cultivated a relationship with the group, because of its strategic location relative to Afghanistan. When bin Laden and his crew were forced to retreat to the Pakistan-Afghanistan border, al Qaeda's interest in Asnar faded.

Says who? Is that fact or opinion? Do they have evidence of this?

According to the U.S. pre-Iraq party line, Zarqawi used his "base" in Iraq to stage bombings and terrorist attacks in Turkey and Morocco. Powell told the U.N. that Zarqawi received medical treatment during a stay in Baghdad in May 2002. This was supposed to illustrate Saddam's alliance with al Qaeda. (No one ever talks about the fact that Ramzi Yousef received medical treatment from a hospital in New Jersey after a minor car accident in 1993. Did Bill Clinton personally fluff his pillow?)

As it turns out, the report of medical treatment wasn't even credible to begin with. According to U.S. intelligence, Zarqawi had a leg amputated in Baghdad. Except that most sources now believe Zarqawi is equipped with two working legs. As Newsweek colorfully put in in early 2004, "The stark fact is that we don't even know for sure how many legs Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi has, let alone whether the Jordanian terrorist, purportedly tied to al Qaeda, is really behind the latest outrages in Iraq."

The remainder of Powell's claims about Iraq were less than airtight, as we all know by now. There is virtually no evidence to support claims that al Qaeda and Iraq were working together. bin Laden openly advocated the overthrow of Hussein before the U.S. decided to invade.
This is negated by his later proven requests for help and meetings with SH reps.
There may well have been al Qaeda operatives in Baghdad, but there were also al Qaeda operatives in New York, Madrid, Cairo, Fort Lauderdale and Norman, Oklahoma.
Were the leaders of those countries mortal enemies of the US, who had offered safe haven to OBL??

…… Despite all the laborious U.S. efforts to prove a link, most independent experts believe Zarqawi is not operating on behalf of al Qaeda, a conclusion which the U.S. military reluctantly conceded in early 2004.
So, Zarqawi isn't operating on behalf of OBL/AQ???
In recent media interviews with captured Ansar al-Islam operatives, the terrorists said they never laid eyes on Zarqawi (the interviewees provided other verifiable information on Ansar activities).
If you don't buy flimsy **** from our gov, why buy this ****?
Quote:

So, Abu Nidal was murdered by Saddam.
Not a fact. A theory. But, even if HE WAS, it could have been for a myriad of reasons.
So, Abu Abbas was free to travel to Israeli held Palestine where the Israeli and American and Italian governments could have captured him, but none did.
I am baffled that you guys don't get the distinction. When Abbas and the dreck of the world are operating, training, plotting and organizing a murdering force with impunity as the guests of the country's President, who is hiding them from justice, THAT is the difference.
So, Abdul Rahman Yasin was a prisoner in Saddam's jails.

So, Abu Musab al Zarqawi was in Iraq, but not a part of the country actually under the control of the Iraqi government, and in fact was operating to help Kurdish nationalists overthrow Saddam. And just how many legs does Zarqawi have anyway?
Zarqawi was an AQ operative working for OBL, training the Kurds (Al Ansar)--until OBL saw that he could use SH's land. OBL later told his officer, Zarqawi, to stop opposing SH. And he did. It doesn't matter how many legs he had. It matter that he was OBL's officer, who suddenly put a stop to opposition to SH and later fought for SH.

You said this:
Indeed, the report notes that bin Laden was an enemy of Saddam's Baathist regime.

But you must know OBL and SH did both offer help to one another--which supercedes any previous BS pop psychology some lame Democrat woman in the CIA divined out of her coffee cup. They proved a willingness and motivation to work together.

You further said:
Emphasizing the contacts, without mentioning the conclusions, is disingenuous at best.
....You don't know the conclusions. Which is my point.

And, you know. I know you people know this. It is just astonishing the lengths you go to to try to avoid admitting it.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:34 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Who said it was?

Are you unaware that he said repeatedly that his motive for wanting to invade was WMD?

No, I'm not unaware of that. But then that doesn't answer my question. When presented with poll results indicating that a majority of Republicans think that Saddam Hussein was involved in the 9-11 attacks, you replied: "It's of little consequence. This isn't the reason Bush gave for invading Iraq." So I'm still left wondering: who said it was? In other words, why would you bring up the rationale for invading Iraq when the poll didn't ask people what they thought was the rationale for invading Iraq?

Because I presume that the reason for creating this thread is to advance the idea that a primary Republican motive for the invasion of Iraq is a silly and false one. I, therefore, logically point out that this wasn't a significant part of the motivation for the invasion.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:18 am
Lash wrote
Quote:
This is what I reference above. I did not say there is evidence of an operational relationship. There is evidence of a relationship, however, and in my opinion, the only credible assumption is that they either had--or planned to have--a mutually beneficial relationship. Knowing of their meetings and envoys and offers of assistance and cooperation, I think only someone is very deep denial would say that they knew the two absolutely did not have any type of relationship--I showed up here when people were acting like it was fodder for personal insult to even hold out a belief that a collusion was possible. It was not only possible--it was likely.

Lash, your remarks are not supported by evidence. You are welcome to conjecture, but the debate is about George Bush's supporters believing that Iraq played a part in the 911 attacks. No evidence for that belief has ever been established.

The propaganda used on the American people about connecting the two was clearly evident in the media and provided by a myriad of Bush administration officials and fellow travelers on the Right in the press. This dis-information campaign had things uncoonected appear connected, as you have done here.

Your remark that

Quote:
There is evidence of a relationship, however, and in my opinion, the only credible assumption is that they either had--or planned to have--a mutually beneficial relationship.

has no credible evidence to support such a development of mutual action, which would mean against the US (since if not, what's all the fuss anyway?). Even the "relationships" you point to are mostly second or third hand accounts, are speculation and are often refuted by other or later information provided by more relable sources and documents.

You are taking, as did Hayes in particular and Busheviks in general the least likely, least credible evidence and making assumptions not supported by the full evidence to support a political agenda and are not using objective analysis, but the most specious subjectivity known to ideologues such as Hayes.

Yours is not simply a minority position, but one that is in opposition to the preponderence of evidence.

Your
Quote:
(I)Didn't say there was operational support, if you will check.

Is a red herring, because of your insistence that any contact between them supported Bush's reasoning for the invasion of Iraq to help eradicate al Quida in 2003.

Perhaps now that the place is in chaos, al Quida is operating there today, but there is NO evidence that it was in Saddam-controlled Iraq in March of 2003. Ansare al Islam doesn't count, because it was operating in Kurd-held Iraq prior to the March 2003 invasion.

Again, the point of this thread was that even now 62% of Republicans believe that there was Iraqi involvement in 911. This means, not merely implies that there was in their minds OPERATIONAL SUPPORT of al Quida in some way by Iraq, and if so, that is all the reason they needed to support an invasion of Iraq, regardless of WMD claims.

So your argument is then with them, not us who do not believe either you or they are correct.

Since there is no evidence for them, these folks are using a fall-back position of Iraqi involvement in 911 to sustain their support of the invasion and even today, George Bush's speech beckons them to that stance.

It is entirely dishonest on Bush's part to do this.

Quote:
Bin Ladin was also willing to explore possibilities for cooperation with Iraq, even though Iraq's dictator, Saddam Hussein, had never had an Islamist agenda-save for his opportunistic pose as a defender of the faithful against "Crusaders" during the Gulf War of 1991. Moreover, Bin Ladin had in fact been sponsoring anti-Saddam Islamists in Iraqi Kurdistan, and sought to attract them into his Islamic army. (ref 53)

Lash's remark…………"This is evidence of nothing. The fact that Saddam made overtures negates the value of this assumption."
53. CIA analytic report,"Ansar al-Islam:Al Qa'ida's Ally in Northeastern Iraq," CTC 2003-40011CX, Feb. 1, 2003.

Actually, it does provide greater evidence that Saddam and bin Laden were foes than any "report" from now admitted questionable and dubious sources that they were in collusion. Your problem here is not with me, but the Central Intelligence Agency.

Apparently the fact that nothing ever came of those "alleged" overtures, or that Saddam refused to accept offers from bin Laden for help also is meaningless to you.

You cannot have it both ways, dismiss evidence that counters your argument ,then use the same methodology to support your cause using even less supportable evidnce to prove your case.

Quote:
To protect his own ties with Iraq, Turabi reportedly brokered an agreement that Bin Ladin would stop supporting activities against Saddam. Bin Ladin apparently honored this pledge, at least for a time, although he continued to aid a group of Islamist extremists operating in part of Iraq (Kurdistan) outside of Baghdad's control. In the late 1990s, these extremist groups suffered major defeats by Kurdish forces. In 2001, with Bin Ladin's help they re-formed into an organization called Ansar al Islam. There are indications that by then the Iraqi regime tolerated and may even have helped Ansar al Islam against the common Kurdish enemy. (ref 54)
Lash's remark…………This is AQ, OBL and Saddam in bed.
54. Ibid.; Intelligence report, al Qaeda and Iraq, Aug. 1, 1997

You are making the leap of an assumption that Saddam tolerating Ansar al Islam in his attempt to defeat the Kurds in his own country is indicative of him supporting al Quida against the US?

They is absolutely no evidence of this anywhere.you can shout from the rooftops the ancient meme that "my enemy's enemy is my friend, but you have to show the data to support this when calling for action against your either of your enemies

Quote:
With the Sudanese regime acting as intermediary, Bin Ladin himself met with a senior Iraqi intelligence officer in Khartoum in late 1994 or early 1995. Bin Ladin is said to have asked for space to establish training camps, as well as assistance in procuring weapons, but there is no evidence that Iraq responded to this request. (ref 55)

lash's remark……..This is willingness of the part of OBL to work with Saddam, negating all assumptions that OBL looked down on SH's secularity. He asked for training camps. Please explain Salman Pak and moreso--why SH wouldn't join forces with the one person in the world who may have hated W and the US more than he did??

And my reply…….It is not I who has to explain your assumption, it is you who have to prove it against the statement that "there is no evidence that Iraq responded to this request."[/i]

55. Intelligence reports, interrogations of detainee, May 22, 2003; May 24, 2003. At least one of these reports dates the meeting to 1994, but other evidence indicates the meeting may have occurred in February 1995. Greg interview (June 25, 2004).

Lash's remark……..This is in my favor. It corresponds with Iraqi defectors remarks about Islamists training at Salman Pak around this time.

You have to show evidence of the camps supported by Saddam, not that meetings occurred. It was stated already that NO positive response came from Saddam about establishing camps for al Quida.

Quote:
Two CIA memoranda of information from a foreign government report that the chief of Iraq's intelligence service and a military expert in bomb making met with Bin Ladin at his farm outside Khartoum on July 30, 1996. The source claimed that Bin Ladin asked for and received assistance from the bomb-making expert, who remained there giving training until September 1996, which is when the information was passed to the United States. See Intelligence reports made available to the Commission.The information is puzzling, since Bin Ladin left Sudan for Afghanistan in May 1996, and there is no evidence he ventured back there (or anywhere else) for a visit. In examining the source material, the reports note that the information was received "third hand," passed from the foreign government service that "does not meet directly with the ultimate source of the information, but obtains the information from him through two unidentified intermediaries, one of whom merely delivers the information to the Service." The same source claims that the bomb-making expert had been seen in the area of Bin Ladin's Sudan farm in December 1995.

There is also evidence that around this time Bin Ladin sent out a number of feelers to the Iraqi regime, offering some cooperation. None are reported to have received a significant response. According to one report, Saddam Hussein's efforts at this time to rebuild relations with the Saudis and other Middle Eastern regimes led him to stay clear of Bin Ladin. (ref 74)

Lash's remark…..More Bin Laden proving willingness and motivation to work with SH.

74. Intelligence report, unsuccessful Bin Ladin probes for contact with Iraq, July 24, 1998; Intelligence report, Saddam Hussein's efforts to repair relations with Saudi government, 2001

You have it a$$-backwards, To support your overall thesis, the evidence has to show a willingness of Saddam to work with al Quida, not the other way around. The evidence indicates that Saddam was moving in the opposite direction and showed in this case an unwillingness to work with al Quida.and this reference shows that Saddam was willing to work with those who al Quida was attacking.

Moreover, the reference is the inverse of your statement, viz., that Saddam was proving an unwillingness and demotivation to work with Al Quida.

Quote:
In mid-1998, the situation reversed; it was Iraq that reportedly took the initiative. In March 1998, after Bin Ladin's public fatwa against the United States, two al Qaeda members reportedly went to Iraq to meet with Iraqi intelligence. In July, an Iraqi delegation traveled to Afghanistan to meet first with the Taliban and then with Bin Ladin. Sources reported that one, or perhaps both, of these meetings was apparently arranged through Bin Ladin's Egyptian deputy, Zawahiri, who had ties of his own to the Iraqis. In 1998, Iraq was under intensifying U.S. pressure, which culminated in a series of large air attacks in December. (ref 75)

Lash wrote
Quote:
I mean, you make my case. We had one willing and motivated, and the other reticent. Now, we have all we need to make my case that the possibility and likelihood existed. Now, we have proof that SH was seeking out OBL, who he knew wanted his help and partnership. They met. They had the same goal. One had safe harbor, the other had the organization. It was a perfect partnership. Why did SH establish meetings with a man who we know had asked for training ground and a partnership? Discuss old times? Discuss their religious similarities? Why?

No case was made supporting your thesis that Saddam was supporting al Quida.

Perhaps you do not understand how one needs tro operate in an debate. When you make a claim, a thesis, you have to show evidence to support it. Only then has adversary to disprove your evidence. Since you have not presented evidence to support your thesis, there is no reason even to rebut your thesis.

For your thesis, there is no there there.

Your insistence of a "likelihood" is meaningless. You need facts not fuzzy feeling, and you have no proof that both parties had the "same goal," nor even what that goal was. So how is it that you know about such a goal, and no one else does?

The claim you are making about a perfect partnership has to be based upon some evidence of such a partnership. Stand and deliver it. Where is it? It is not anywhere in either the 911 Report not in the SSCI report.

Quote:
Similar meetings between Iraqi officials and Bin Ladin or his aides may have occurred in 1999 during a period of some reported strains with the Taliban. According to the reporting,

Lash's remark…….Iraqi officials offered Bin Ladin a safe haven in Iraq.

Mine……….READ THE DAMNED REFERENCE IN TOTAL, AL QUIDA OFFICIALS DENY THIS EVER HAPPENED.

Bin Ladin declined, apparently judging that his circumstances in Afghanistan remained more favorable than the Iraqi alternative. The reports describe friendly contacts and indicate some common themes in both sides' hatred of the United States. But to date we have seen no evidence that these or the earlier contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship. Nor have we seen evidence indicating that Iraq cooperated with al Qaeda in developing or carrying out any attacks against the United States. (ref 76)

Lash's remark……….The offer was made. At the time, it may not have been in OBL's best interests, but the offer was made and on the table. What more do reasonable people need? It was possible and likely that they worked together. SH provided free access and safe harbor, a training ground, money, logistics and manpower. OBL provided organization and zealotry to attract manpower. They were perfect together.

AGAIN, READ THE DAMNED REFERENCE IN TOTAL, AL QUIDA OFFICIALS DENY THIS EVER HAPPENED.

76. CIA analytic report,"Ansar al-Islam:Al Qa'ida's Ally in Northeastern Iraq," CTC 2003-40011CX, Feb. 1, 2003. See also DIA analytic report,"Special Analysis: Iraq's Inconclusive Ties to Al-Qaida," July 31, 2002; CIA analytic report,"Old School Ties," Mar. 10, 2003.We have seen other intelligence reports at the CIA about 1999 con-tacts.They are consistent with the conclusions we provide in the text, and their reliability is uncertain. Although there have been suggestions of contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda regarding chemical weapons and explosives training, the most detailed information alleging such ties came from an al Qaeda operative who recanted much of his original information. Intelligence report, interrogation of al Qaeda operative, Feb. 14, 2004.Two senior Bin Ladin associates have adamantly denied that any such ties existed between al Qaeda and Iraq. Intelligence reports, interrogations of KSM and Zubaydah, 2003[/u] (cited in CIA letter, response to Douglas Feith memorandum,"Requested Modifications to 'Summary of Body of Intelligence Reporting on Iraq-al Qaida Contacts (1990-2003),'" Dec. 10, 2003, p. 5).

About those terrorist:

Geoge Bush and his followers have continually pointed out four people:

Abu Nidal.

Abu Abbas.

Abdul Rahman Yasin.

Abu Musab al Zarqawi

As prima fascia evidence that saddam was harbouring terrorists, and that since al quida were terrorists, then saddam was also harbouring al Quida.

My post showed that if they were "terrorists" they were either killed or jailed by Saddam or that no one in the rest of the world considered them terrorists anymore.

So the statements that Saddam was harbouring terrorists was ridiculous.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:21 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Who said it was?

Because I presume that the reason for creating this thread is to advance the idea that a primary Republican motive for the invasion of Iraq is a silly and false one. I, therefore, logically point out that this wasn't a significant part of the motivation for the invasion.

Why on earth would you think that? I presume that the point of the thread is to show that Republicans are uninformed idiots.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 08:06 am
Lash wrote:
But you must know OBL and SH did both offer help to one another--which supercedes any previous BS pop psychology some lame Democrat woman in the CIA divined out of her coffee cup. They proved a willingness and motivation to work together.

Even if what you say were true (and I don't think it is), so what? So what if bin Laden and Saddam Hussein showed "willingness and motivation to work together?" Even that doesn't prove that there were any significant contacts between the two prior to 9-11, much less that Saddam had anything to do with the attacks. To argue otherwise would be about as idiotic as claiming that the US needed to invade Iraq because it was engaged in "weapons of mass destruction-related program activities."

Lash wrote:
You don't know the conclusions. Which is my point.

Whose conclusions? Yours?

Lash wrote:
And, you know. I know you people know this. It is just astonishing the lengths you go to to try to avoid admitting it.

"You people?" What the hell is that supposed to mean?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 08:12 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

I believe that your presumption was wrong. As DrewDad points out, the thread was most likely started to show the general stupidity of the rank and file of the GOP. But rather than speculate, why didn't you simply ask the originator of the thread, freedom4free, to explain the point of the thread?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 08:57 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I believe that your presumption was wrong. As DrewDad points out, the thread was most likely started to show the general stupidity of the rank and file of the GOP. But rather than speculate, why didn't you simply ask the originator of the thread, freedom4free, to explain the point of the thread?

Because it's close enough. Even if that wasn't the purpose in the author's mind, some people would take it that way. I have heard countless arguments against the war in Iraq that focus on arguing against a Saddam - 9/11 connection.

Besides, it's not a matter of such great urgency that every post be perfect, it's just a message board. Your posts, for instance, aren't always very respectful of the author's stated intention for the thread.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 09:18 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Because it's close enough. Even if that wasn't the purpose in the author's mind, some people would take it that way. I have heard countless arguments against the war in Iraq that focus on arguing against a Saddam - 9/11 connection.

Replace "some people" with "Brandon" and I think you have an accurate statement.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:15 am
Could it be that 62% of republicans are brain dead? Just wondering.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:27 am
DrewDad wrote
Quote:
I presume that the point of the thread is to show that Republicans are uninformed idiots.

That was the correct reason Drew. Very Happy

But because i actually did not explain that, Brandon also has the right to presume whatever he wants.

Then again i thought it was obvious. Embarrassed

Sorry folks. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 03:17 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Because it's close enough. Even if that wasn't the purpose in the author's mind, some people would take it that way.

Well, you did. That's one.

Brandon9000 wrote:
I have heard countless arguments against the war in Iraq that focus on arguing against a Saddam - 9/11 connection.

In other threads, no doubt.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Besides, it's not a matter of such great urgency that every post be perfect, it's just a message board. Your posts, for instance, aren't always very respectful of the author's stated intention for the thread.

Sadly, that's true, and I grieve for my past indiscretions. But then I never tried to defend them with some cockamamie excuse that I was preemptively responding to a position that the original poster never took.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 04:59 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Lash wrote:

Even if what you say were true (and I don't think it is), so what?
Use your lawyerly razzle-dazzle. Make a case for the defense--and then the prosecution.

If you are "prosecuting" SH and OBL for culpability in 911, where do you start? You start with establishing a relationship between them. Did they know one another? Did they have reason to work together? Is there any evidence that shows that they were interested in working together toward this goal?

The defense would try to find an alibi for any alleged meetings--say they never contacted one another...they were not interested in the same goal....if they were faced with evidence of meetings, it would look very bad for their clients, but of course, they could then defend them as you are--and say just because there is evidence of several meetings and they are highly motivated to work together and there are clear signs that OBL was calling off his Al Ansar goons for SH, and SH had a Terrorist Med going on...well. That's not proof.

Yeah. OJ got off too.

IMO, neither side has enough evidence to mount a convincing case, so the decision has to made on a preponderance of the evidence.

If there had been no evidence of any meetings or good vibes between them, I wouldn't be having this conversation. I would have shut up about this a couple of years ago.

But, there is more evidence that they DID work together than they DIDN'T.

You won't see me marching in full uniform, blaring that it is a slam dunk case. But, you also won't see me avoid confrontation when some yahoo starts insulting those who think there is credence to the belief SH and OBL possibly worked together. The 62% thinks SH, at least indirectly, assisted with 911. So do I. There is good reason to.

So what if bin Laden and Saddam Hussein showed "willingness and motivation to work together?" Even that doesn't prove that there were any significant contacts between the two prior to 9-11, much less that Saddam had anything to do with the attacks. To argue otherwise would be about as idiotic as claiming that the US needed to invade Iraq because it was engaged in "weapons of mass destruction-related program activities."
Never said it was proven. I said it was possible and likely.

Lash wrote:
You don't know the conclusions. Which is my point.

Whose conclusions? Yours?
You are unaware of the conclusions to both men's requests of the other. If you are holding out with the tapes of their conversations, please call the 911 Commission. They'd be quite interested.

We may as well stop, though. You tie the reality of SH and OBL working together with Bush being correct. You'd sooner die than admit it--so you'll never discuss the testimony and the facts rationally. You people! Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 05:52 pm
Lash wrote
Quote:

kuv said:
Lash, your remarks are not supported by evidence. You are welcome to conjecture, but the debate is about George Bush's supporters believing that Iraq played a part in the 911 attacks. No evidence for that belief has ever been established.
Lash retorted:
Quote:
Ample evidence defines requests by OBL and offers of assistance by SH. This HAS been established. It is not unreasonable to assume further cooperation. It IS unreasonable to insult those who consider this connecion feasible
To which, kuv attempted to say:
The propaganda used on the American people about connecting the two was clearly evident in the media and provided by a myriad of Bush administration officials and fellow travelers on the Right in the press. This dis-information campaign had things uncoonected appear connected, as you have done here.
Lash convincingly responded:
Quote:
They are likely connected. Based on factual contacts.

And then kuv said all this:
Your remark that

Quote:
There is evidence of a relationship, however, and in my opinion, the only credible assumption is that they either had--or planned to have--a mutually beneficial relationship.

has no credible evidence to support such a development of mutual action, which would mean against the US
Lash then forcefully stated:
Quote:
There is credible evidence of requests and offers of assistance. Mutual action does not have to mean directly against the US...Most people believe SH's assistance was indirect, but invaluable.

Unbelievably, kuv had the nerve to say:
(since if not, what's all the fuss anyway?)
Lash sighed:
Quote:
Good grief.

Kuv mistakenly said:
Even the "relationships" you point to are mostly second or third hand accounts, are speculation and are often refuted by other or later information provided by more relable sources and documents.
And, I opened a can of whup-ass:
Quote:
The meetings and requests and offers between them are in the report and factual.

Kuv weaves a web of mistatement by saying:
You are taking, as did Hayes in particular and Busheviks in general the least likely, least credible evidence and making assumptions not supported by the full evidence to support a political agenda and are not using objective analysis, but the most specious subjectivity known to ideologues such as Hayes.
And, then I made mine red:
Actually, you are the ideologue cramming what you'll accept of the report into your conorted agenda. I am working with nothing more than the 911 report.
Kuv wasted space with this:
Yours is not simply a minority position, but one that is in opposition to the preponderence of evidence.
And, Lash returns serve:
Quote:
Actually, a preponderance of the evidence shows a relationship, and mutual goals and willingness and motivation to work together and a despised common enemy who was making life nearly impossible for both of them
Kuv climbs back on the horse:
Your
Quote:
(I)Didn't say there was operational support, if you will check.

Is a red herring, because of your insistence that any contact between them supported Bush's reasoning for the invasion of Iraq to help eradicate al Quida in 2003.
But, Lash counters with the shining truth. Magniicent, really:
Quote:
I didn't say anything about supporting Bush. I separated that from the case between SH and OBL. It is you who is hellbent on disagreeing with the obvious relationship as not to give credence to Bush's decision. I believe they were working together as the evidence suggests, and that is one of the reasons I thought the invasion was the right thing to do.
However, if no evidence of any meetings had been found, I wouldn't make this argument. I would be much more inclined to think I'd been wrong.

Kuv said:
Perhaps now that the place is in chaos, al Quida is operating there today, but there is NO evidence that it was in Saddam-controlled Iraq in March of 2003. Ansare al Islam doesn't count, because it was operating in Kurd-held Iraq prior to the March 2003 invasion.
Lash guffaws:
Quote:
Oh. Ansar Al Islam doesn't count??? Laughing

Kuv said this:
Again, the point of this thread was that even now 62% of Republicans believe that there was Iraqi involvement in 911. This means, not merely implies that there was in their minds OPERATIONAL SUPPORT of al Quida in some way by Iraq, and if so, that is all the reason they needed to support an invasion of Iraq, regardless of WMD claims.
Lash diagnoses part of the problem:
Quote:
I think one of your errors is taking a fact and then assigning it stuff it doesn't come with. Where do you see that in their minds that had to mean there was operational support? And, have you confused that with operational cooperation with 911? The words are specific and mean very diferent things.

Misdiagnosis: Kuv:
So your argument is then with them, not us who do not believe either you or they are correct.
She floats in like the summer breeze:
Quote:
My only argument is with those who think they have the moral authority to insult others, who look at the evidence introduced in the 911 Commission report and see the likelihood of collusion.

Quote:

Lash's remark…………"This is evidence of nothing. The fact that Saddam made overtures negates the value of this assumption."

Actually, it does provide greater evidence that Saddam and bin Laden were foes than any "report" from now admitted questionable and dubious sources that they were in collusion.
Quote:
When they reached out to one another, that immediately negated the assumption that they wouldn't do so because of differences
Your problem here is not with me, but the Central Intelligence Agency.
Quote:
I don't have a problem with you, so to speak. I just think you are ignoring the evidence in the Report.

Apparently the fact that nothing ever came of those "alleged" overtures, or that Saddam refused to accept offers from bin Laden for help also is meaningless to you.
Quote:
It is not known that nothing came of the requests and offers.

You cannot have it both ways, dismiss evidence that counters your argument ,then use the same methodology to support your cause using even less supportable evidnce to prove your case.
Quote:
How about one short post at a time to flesh out the facts. Start with this one. Where did I do this?

Quote:
Lash's remark…………This is AQ, OBL and Saddam in bed.
54. Ibid.; Intelligence report, al Qaeda and Iraq, Aug. 1, 1997

You are making the leap of an assumption that Saddam tolerating Ansar al Islam in his attempt to defeat the Kurds in his own country is indicative of him supporting al Quida against the US?
Quote:
Correct. I didn't assume this. I'm sure SH hated this prospect and was more than glad to join up with OBL to goive him safe haven in return, partially, for a stop to Ansar Al Islam ceasing within his borders. TA-DAAAA!!! Come on, dear. Smell the coffee.

They is absolutely no evidence of this anywhere.you can shout from the rooftops the ancient meme that "my enemy's enemy is my friend, but you have to show the data to support this when calling for action against your either of your enemies
Quote:
The action is listed in the 911 Report. I don't think you know what you're looking for.

Quote:

lash's remark……..This is willingness of the part of OBL to work with Saddam, negating all assumptions that OBL looked down on SH's secularity. He asked for training camps. Please explain Salman Pak and moreso--why SH wouldn't join forces with the one person in the world who may have hated W and the US more than he did??

And my reply…….It is not I who has to explain your assumption, it is you who have to prove it against the statement that "there is no evidence that Iraq responded to this request."[/i]
Quote:
If I was saying unequivocably that my belief is a fact, you'd be right. I am merely upholding it as a possibility, therefore, I have proven what is necessary.

55. Intelligence reports, interrogations of detainee, May 22, 2003; May 24, 2003. At least one of these reports dates the meeting to 1994, but other evidence indicates the meeting may have occurred in February 1995. Greg interview (June 25, 2004).

Lash's remark……..This is in my favor. It corresponds with Iraqi defectors remarks about Islamists training at Salman Pak around this time.

You have to show evidence of the camps supported by Saddam, not that meetings occurred. It was stated already that NO positive response came from Saddam about establishing camps for al Quida.
Quote:
Wrong. It states they don't know of a positive response. I would venture to say that a lot of things occur in this world that ecapes the CIA.

Quote:
Two CIA memoranda of information from a foreign government report that the chief of Iraq's intelligence service and a military expert in bomb making met with Bin Ladin at his farm outside Khartoum on July 30, 1996. The source claimed that Bin Ladin asked for and received assistance from the bomb-making expert, who remained there giving training until September 1996, which is when the information was passed to the United States. See Intelligence reports made available to the Commission.The information is puzzling, since Bin Ladin left Sudan for Afghanistan in May 1996, and there is no evidence he ventured back there (or anywhere else) for a visit. In examining the source material, the reports note that the information was received "third hand," passed from the foreign government service that "does not meet directly with the ultimate source of the information, but obtains the information from him through two unidentified intermediaries, one of whom merely delivers the information to the Service." The same source claims that the bomb-making expert had been seen in the area of Bin Ladin's Sudan farm in December 1995.

Lash's remark…..More Bin Laden proving willingness and motivation to work with SH.

You have it a$$-backwards, To support your overall thesis, the evidence has to show a willingness of Saddam to work with al Quida, not the other way around. The evidence indicates that Saddam was moving in the opposite direction and showed in this case an unwillingness to work with al Quida.and this reference shows that Saddam was willing to work with those who al Quida was attacking.

Moreover, the reference is the inverse of your statement, viz., that Saddam was proving an unwillingness and demotivation to work with Al Quida.
Quote:
Try to take your partisan blinders off for a sec. In order to prove an alliance, both must have shown a willingness. I was showing willingnes re one of the two. Later, SH showed his hand.

Quote:

Lash wrote
Quote:

No case was made supporting your thesis that Saddam was supporting al Quida.
Quote:
You can't hide from the reality of this:
In March 1998, after Bin Ladin's public fatwa against the United States, two al Qaeda members reportedly went to Iraq to meet with Iraqi intelligence. In July, an Iraqi delegation traveled to Afghanistan to meet first with the Taliban and then with Bin Ladin. Sources reported that one, or perhaps both, of these meetings was apparently arranged through Bin Ladin's Egyptian deputy, Zawahiri, who had ties of his own to the Iraqis.

Perhaps you do not understand how one needs tro operate in an debate. When you make a claim, a thesis, you have to show evidence to support it. Only then has adversary to disprove your evidence. Since you have not presented evidence to support your thesis, there is no reason even to rebut your thesis.
Quote:
Nice dodge. Not. My "thesis" is that collusion is possible and likely. The report proves it for me.

Lash's remark…….Iraqi officials offered Bin Ladin a safe haven in Iraq.

Mine……….READ THE DAMNED REFERENCE IN TOTAL, AL QUIDA OFFICIALS DENY THIS EVER HAPPENED.
Quote:
Do you believe everything Al Quaida says? Damn.

Bin Ladin declined, apparently judging that his circumstances in Afghanistan remained more favorable than the Iraqi alternative. The reports describe friendly contacts and indicate some common themes in both sides' hatred of the United States. But to date we have seen no evidence that these or the earlier contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship. Nor have we seen evidence indicating that Iraq cooperated with al Qaeda in developing or carrying out any attacks against the United States. (ref 76)
Lash's remark……….The offer was made. At the time, it may not have been in OBL's best interests, but the offer was made and on the table. What more do reasonable people need? It was possible and likely that they worked together. SH provided free access and safe harbor, a training ground, money, logistics and manpower. OBL provided organization and zealotry to attract manpower. They were perfect together.

AGAIN, READ THE DAMNED REFERENCE IN TOTAL, AL QUIDA OFFICIALS DENY THIS EVER HAPPENED.
Quote:
Would you let them babysit your children, too? Damn. This is where the disconnect is. I DON'T BUY WHAT AL QUAIDA SAYS. YOU APPARENTLY DO. I guess Republicans are more apt to believe our government than Al Quaida--and you believe Al Quaida and think our own government are the murdering bastards.

Anyway. I'm not mad, notably not mad at you. I just think it's important to challenge stuff that is incorrect.

Dear God, man. Please write shorter posts.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:29 pm
SOURCE
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:39 pm
To sum it up, Lash still believes that Saddam was behind 9/11.

As with all conspiracy theories, you'll never be able to disprove this. Simply because you can't prove a negative.

Lash's only point - which she is repeating over and over again - is that yes, there were meetings, and so it's reasonable to assume collaboration.

On the same basis you could claim that the Swiss were behind 9/11. Or Greenpeace. Or something.

You basically start with asking something like "Who obviously profited from it" or some other 'meaningful' question. Then you take some existing, irrefutable, but per se absolutely nugatory facts. Like, "A met B back in 1962" or "A's grandpa owned a baseball team, and we know that B had always loved baseball". And voilá, you just have to finish it with, "okay, maybe we can't prove it, but it would be reasonable to assume it".

And if somebody criticizes you, you just have to declare, "well, prove the opposite".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:45 pm
""Bush is trying to get more support generally from the American public by seeming more moderate and showing he's a strong leader at the same time he has a rebellion within his own party," Thurber said. "The far right is starting to be very open about their claim that he's not a real conservative.""

That is actually scary.

It won't be a problem for Bush, he gets to be president for the rest of his term almost no matter what.

But, if the current guts of the republican base wants more extreme conservatism than Bush's, doesn't it mwean that the next candidate for the repubs is likely to be even worse?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:48 pm
Why the need to speak for other people, OE?

I don't think SH was "behind" 911. Your assumption is incorrect.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:49 pm
I know.

Do you believe the connection was reason enough to invade Iraq, though?
0 Replies