A Q for the women Re: Breast Reduction

jespah

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:40 am
Welcome to A2K, Medeira.

Glad to read all's well, flushd.
0 Replies

Medeira

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:05 am
Hi Jespah. Thank you. I stumbled across this site the other day and thought I just have to jump in.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:59 am
Well, com'on in...........The water's fine. Welcome! Very Happy
0 Replies

Medeira

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:12 am
Nice to meet you too!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:02 pm
Hey,
Well, welcome to the forum!

I'd love to help in any way I can. Do you have any specific concerns?

I'd have to say that I was very nicely surprised at how easy it was to undergo the actual surgery. In my mind, I had imagined that it was going to be a very dramatic affair - y'know, a lot of time waiting and a lot of craziness. It wasn't like that at all. Once I got to the hospital, I didn't have a lot of time to brood about things. The nurses and doctor guided me every step of the way. "OK, now we are going to do this. Ok, now you are going to go to sleep." And then later I woke up.

The actual process is so much less painful than the anticipation and imagining. At least it was so for me.

I am adjusting to the difference faster than I thought. My breasts are smaller - that is it! Well, that and I don't have that constant ache and pain.

I discovered that I am still me; and it feels wonderful. I would even go so far as to say it is becoming a life changing event for me. I feel stronger and bigger as a person somehow because of it.

Let me know if there's anything else you're wondering about. I'll try my best to answer. Smile
0 Replies

Medeira

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:23 pm
Thank you soooo much for your anticipated reply. I know your surgery was in December...the 14th I think? You are entering your 4th week of healing. My biggest fear is post surgery. I am anxious about the incisions and not sure I will be able to look at myself without fainting, let alone touch myself. What was, is your (initial) reaction in this regard? I also fear having scars. I had the priviledge to meet a lady, she was 71 years old when she had this procedure...her scars were barely noticeabe...very fine white lines. May I say congratulations to you. You were very courageous to go through this and I sense in your writing profound relief and optimism. I do look so forward to the day when I am in the place you now find yourself. You are my inspiration.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:05 pm
Welcome, Medeira.

Flushd has been an inspiration to all women who take control of their own lives and do what is good for them rather than waiting around for someone else's approval. It also takes courage to take such a giant step.

Flushd, you make me feel like a sister (although, in reality I'm more like your mother). What the hell, we are all sisters and the support here makes me so glad to be a woman. You are terrific. YAY!
0 Replies

Medeira

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:53 pm
Hey Diane. I agree regarding the inspiration. flushd is definately that woman. There are so may unsung heros out there.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:28 pm
Very Happy

It feels like a sisterhood for me too. Y'all have been through the whole process with me, supporting me, giving me gentle nudges along the way.
It has been a tremendous help to have all the support from good women. Makes me very happy.

Medeira, I can completely emphathize with the concern about the scars. I was soo worried about that too.
When I went in for one of my many consultations (it took me a couple tries before going through with it!) I brought this up. The doc. started naming off all the *possible* outcomes. It scared the crap out of me!

The reality for myself is that my incisions are healing very well, and quickly. They are still a bit tender, and I admit it was a tad unerving at first. Right now my scars look quite a bit like unhappy stretch marks. They are thin, and I seem them getting better every week.

I was starting to get stretch marks around my breasts before the surgery. They just wouldn't stop growing, and well, gravity was starting to do its thing. Since the surgery, those marks look so much better and less visible. My breasts are perkier. I think it was a good trade-off.

I know we aren't (supposed) to worry too much about whether our feminine parts are pretty to us or not, especially when it comes to a situation where our health is being comprimised. But we do. We want to look pretty and scars on that very feminine part can be intimidating. I want my body to look good. And I can honestly say it DOES look good. A few little scars did not affect my beauty.

The lady who had it done at 71 must be some kind of woman alright. It's encouraging to hear that even at that age the scars were minimal for her, she had a sucessful surgery and healing process. It's just cool! Laughing

Sending out a hug your way. I know it's a tough decision.
0 Replies

Medeira

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:50 pm
Hey flushed. Thanks for your response. My decision to go ahead with this has relieved me of longstanding conflict. I am happy to know you are doing well and healing. It's amazing that we live in a time that allows us to have (such) choices. It's really about comfort in our own skin. I look forward to wearing clothes that I feel comfortable in...
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:34 pm
ohh yeaaa!

I hope I get to hear about it. It would be nifty to go through the phases with someone else.

Anyways, good for you. Congrats on your decision.
0 Replies

Medeira

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:41 pm
Thanks. You know what stage I'm going through now. I feel relieved and anxious...fear of the unknown! When I consider just how long I have been dealing with this (age 13), how old I am now...it will be soooo good to live the rest of my life without this growing discomfort.
0 Replies

aloha girl

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:34 pm
Should I go for it?
Just got back from my doctors apt, who suggested I get a reduction. Can I say I was overjoyed. To get rid of these bowling balls would be a dream come true. But a little scared!

So, flushd, was it worth it?
0 Replies

Medeira

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:37 pm
I just arrived home from a vacation down south. Vacation=bathing suit. All I could tell myself was that the next vacation would be much different. Next time I could wear a bikini or at the least, a tankini! When I looked at myself after changing into my beach wear, well I'm sure you know where I'm going with this. Have you decided to go through with this or are you taking some time?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:45 pm
Hey!

Yes, completely worth it. No regrets.

Bikini?! Oh my. I'm so excited. I'm gonna look hot this summer! Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:14 pm
You ladies all make me feel so excited and optimistic for you.

Mederia, What you said about the 71 year old lady "I had the privilege of meeting"

how sweet of you to put it that way.
0 Replies

hanging

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:57 pm
BREAST REDUCTION
Hi, I will be going to my pre-op appointment on Wednesday,Iknow I need this but I am so scared I am31,and my back hurts everyday,anything I should know good or bad
0 Replies

Medeira

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 08:43 pm
Hi there hanging. I remember all too well how nervous I was. My surgery was November 30/07. For me, I recall saying to myself that I must stop being fearful and instead take my energy and place it in confidence toward the doctor I had chosen. Everything went so well. I will never forget the thrill of my first look. I was absolutely amazed! I knew it was going to be better but I never thought it would be as good and liberating as it was and continues to be. If I can be of any support to you I will be more than happy to.
Mederia
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 10:03 pm
Check your surgery date, Mediera. I'm confused.
0 Replies

Medeira

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 09:32 am
That should say November 30/06, four months ago.
0 Replies