Men and the F-Word?

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 08:51 pm
Yeppies.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 08:53 pm
And one of my favorites will do well here: absa-f*ing-lutely!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 09:09 pm
Well, the F work is my favorite word. No other word is quite like it. So descriptive of almost anything.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 09:19 pm
Smegging right on, Lola.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:10 am
Littlek
I love that one ;-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:45 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I DO think we sue the F word more than any nation, our films are so full of them that foreigners ask if we like the word.

But I have no supporting evidence to my assertion that the US uses the word the most. At least not if the asseryion is fair.

But it is a valid assertion as long we are talking totals.

Hey, you've lived around the world, havent you? Cause more than one Brit/American has observed to me that the continentals here use "****" more liberally than any native-speaker would - the worse their english, the more so, it almost seems.

Perhaps cause of what you say about films, and in the music too, in all the American stuff, we hear **** this **** that all the time - so pple start thinking Amercans actually talk like that all the time. So they start imitating it, well, the young 'uns I mean, doing it themselves, but without that sense of context y'all mention - when its wholly appropriate to use liberally and when or with whom you wouldnt ever use it - like, how its different still from "damn", say.

Yeh.

Thats what they do, y' know?

I just dont ******* understand those people, man.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:00 am
'ckinoath, man...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 05:34 am
nimh wrote:

Hey, you've lived around the world, havent you?

Yup.

nimh wrote:
Cause more than one Brit/American has observed to me that the continentals here use "****" more liberally than any native-speaker would - the worse their english, the more so, it almost seems. Perhaps cause of what you say about films, and in the music too, in all the American stuff, we hear **** this **** that all the time - so pple start thinking Amercans actually talk like that all the time. So they start imitating it, well, the young 'uns I mean, doing it themselves, but without that sense of context y'all mention - when its wholly appropriate to use liberally and when or with whom you wouldnt ever use it - like, how its different still from "damn", say.

In my experience that is quite accurate. Casual learning of foreign tongues traditionaly includes a disproportionate amount of colorful language.

Expletives in foreign languages don't carry the same weight to many, resulting in overuse.

And while teaching English in Brazil, I did notice that the more fluent used fewer expletives. I do think film has a bit to do with it. More than once I've seen a foreigner trying to do an impression of American English by using many 4-letter words.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 09:08 am
The F-word says it all. It's also a fast way for a woman to draw attention to herself, should she ever be inclined to stand at a busy intersection, jump up and down and yell at the top of her lungs,"F---".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 09:33 am
Um. I guess that would work. I can think of other, faster ways, though.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 09:35 am
Me too!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 09:55 am
Yeh, everytime I hear anyone just standing there and uttering just a solitary "f-you" it reminds me of the Jerry Springer show, and all those fat babes with tattoos on their asses and gooney looking guys with no naturally colored skin left.
I have tatoos but, as an artist, there is a limit beyond which it looks really weird.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 06:20 pm
My favorite word at times, is the "S-" word.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 06:53 pm
no no no, we use it all the time because Americans are so horny
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 06:56 pm
NH - I love saying sh-t too. I sometimes do it with out the vowel, so that it's less offensive to people around me.
0 Replies

goa sunset

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 07:05 pm
What about the C--t word? It can have erotic overtones when used in the appropriate context.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 07:06 pm
I like to walk my dog at night and to get the steam out of my sails, I might say the S-word to myself, out loud. Sounds nutty?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 07:08 pm
C-word?

I never use it and never will. Don't care for it now and never will, probably. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 07:10 pm
this is going down fast
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:08 am
The "S" word is equal to the "F" word as an expletive, but used for emphasis or description the "F" word wins hands down.
0 Replies