Men and the F-Word?

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:56 am
Why do you suppose that most men in groups with other men, but rarely with women, tend to use the F-word excessively? Is this a groupie thing, a male thing or some sort of "savage" thing? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,007 • Replies: 152
No top replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:04 am
New Haven<

The F-word is rarely used among the men with whom I associate on a regular basis. Perhaps I am hanging out with the wrong crowd.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:10 am
I've known men who fill every sentence, quite liberaly, with the F word. To my mind it shows a lack of their own intelligence and respect for others.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:34 am
I am not stupid, and I have a fairly extensive vocabulary, but I'm guilty of using the F word. It is a great word for expressing frustration, anger and disapointment. It cuts. Even physically because to make the f sound you put your top teeth on your lower lip and kind of fling the word out, at the object of your disdain or anger. It's like shooting a rubber bullet at someone, stinging but harmless, and quite cathartic. In fact it may be one of the most useful words in the English language for unsettling times such as we re now experiencing and ....oh wait, I can't go on....even I can't believe the crap I'm spouting. Laughing Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:56 am
NH - that's a huge generalization. My mother uses the f-word more than some men use it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:04 pm
having been a social worker the majority of life surround mostly by women, I have found that women (aside from my military experiece) are far more prone to use the f word.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:15 pm
I've noticed a pattern in which that word is more frequently used in English speaking countries than in countries that do not use English as their first language.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:34 pm
Craven why do you think that is?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:37 pm
Ay chingón.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:38 pm
fu-toi!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:39 pm
I'm looking into it. But it's cause for great concern.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:44 pm
I use the F word, but only for emphasis, on infrequent occasions. I almost never use it in public, but have been known to let out with a string of cusswords, when I am by myself, and feeling frustrated or angry.

I believe that profanity is like spices. A little adds, but too much ruins!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:50 pm
I use the f word but it's saved for extra special moments when just no other word will do.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:57 pm
I love the f-word and use it frequently.

If used by an amateur, it can become tiring quickly, but when used by a pro, it is a valuable asset to vocabulary.

Earlier, someone said that it show "a lack of intelligence and a lack of respect for others." I don't think it is an indicator of either.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:59 pm
I used to swear like a sailor, I have toned down as I age, maybe it the amature/wizened thing Frank noted. Even now I'll have my moments. Mostly while driving.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:01 pm
I was raised in a liberally profane environment, and I like my fricatives.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:06 pm
It is part of my cultural upbringing. At first people were shocked when I slipped up and said the F-word but they soon realized that it is not meant in an abusive or disrespectful way when I say it but as a part of my spiel and oftentimes is said as an endearment (you're a cute aul f-ker). Certainly there's a time and a place and the difference between ignorant/unintelligent people and others is knowing when and where.

Also those non-English speaking countries, I am sure, have their very own cultural swear words that do not translate directly to the F-word but probably have similar connotations.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:17 pm
I swear sometimes, but I'm careful as to where and when. When I lived in the city I use to swear all the time while driving. If I drove around the block without swearing, it must have been in the middle of the night when there was no traffic. I live in a rural area now and I very rarely swear in my car anymore since there is absolutely no traffic where I live. In fact there isn't even a street light within 20 miles from here. If you see 3 cars in a row here it's considered rush hour, LOL! People around hear may not swear much, but it's funny when you hear people swear in French. When I was a kid, I'd swear in French just because it sounded funny.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:51 pm
In case you need a quick brush up, gezzy...
Swear in foreign languages

Wink
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:59 pm
This morning, I walked outside to see my car covered in snow during this nice spring day.

I said the f-word.

I opened my trunk to get my snow brush, and snow slid down from my rear window into my trunk.

I said the f-word.

I opened my car door, sat inside with the door open, turned the key to start it, and the wiper was left on, swiping snow from my windshield inside my car, all over my floor, covering my clean floormat(which I just changed from my winter mats last weekend...because it's "spring").

I screamed the f-word.

I don't use it that often though.
0 Replies