New Orleans: The Worst is Not Over : (

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:03 pm
So, how does those systems compare to the system that was in place for New Orleans?

I don't know if I asked that question correctly, so pardon my ignorance.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:03 pm
OT, but a few views from "lost" New Orleans..

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,512965,00.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,512963,00.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,512961,00.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,512969,00.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,512959,00.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,221448,00.jpg
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:04 pm
Views of the city that was
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:06 pm
Satt
Beautiful pics. Thanks :-)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:15 pm
Just heard that the evacuation relocation could last 3 years, one of the biggest problems will be the toxic clean-up
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:36 pm
very informative map
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:42 pm
make sure you move on the red dots on the map
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:08 am
Montana wrote:
We are all vampires. Yeah, that's it.

I want to suck you blood <shows fangs> LOL!

It seems to me it's that "compassionate conservatism" that sucks. Yes, it's worked wonders so far. Wonder how long it will take to get the evacuees to Houston.
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:36 am
Every thing posted above is good.
To a society of switch pushing couch potatoes it's easy to look at the devastation on the television screen and say, "Well I'd just go down to the local McDonald's and pick up a sack of hamburgers and go by the sporting goods store and get a couple of gas lanterns."

No you wouldn't because McDonald's and the sporting goods store are underwater too and any business, which is fortunate enough to remain open, will be stripped to the walls because the roads are blocked and the suppliers can't deliver the goods.

Of course, it is not an impossible situation and I'm not trying to make it sound as if it is. I'm just trying to stress the fact that those of us not in the affected areas cannot possibly tell what it's like being there by simply watching television and reading newspapers.

These people need our prayers and our support. They need food, water, medicine, generators and a myriad of things that I can't begin to name.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:42 am
Montana wrote:
So, how does those systems compare to the system that was in place for New Orleans?

To me it seemed like it was inadequate. The growth of the city and area was not reflected in the levee infrastructure. I would guess that it was woefully neglected, and now sadly, the price is being paid.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:44 am
Setanta wrote-

Quote:

. One can't automatically assume that all of the expense and engineering was in aid of human convenience, apart from the employees and share holders of the corporations which run the refineries and chemical plants.

Don't the buyers of the products and services of those corporations have some input into these transactions.It is just too easy and slipshod to let the blame rest on the employees and shareholders.
Is Setanta in favour of government set prices?He is in danger of smearing capitalism and of wildly underestimating the power of the buyer in a market place like that of the USA.And in little danger of being unpopular with an audience of buyers.
There is little need to mention pension funds invested in these corporations as their participation is well known.

It is a characteristic of the rhetoric of what are known as "liberals" that an assumption is made that the audience are stupid and in need of stroking.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:14 am
Karl Rove is a liberal?

Interesting.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:11 pm
By that criterion, one would certainly think so, eh?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:16 pm
Sure he is.He's from the realistic wing rather than the utopian.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:19 pm
It's interesting though that a trivial pedantic point is thought to answer the question posed or it might be better to say that it is the only answer offered.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 01:54 pm
Realistic wing of what? Of "Liberals?" Do you know who Karl Rove is?

The budget of the Corps of Engineers is approved by the Congress. Projects are very narrowly specified and approved as items in committee before the completed budget is put to the full House for a vote. Money bills originate in the House, so the bill is presented to the Senate as a fait accompli; although it might be modified in conference committee, that would be an extraordinary event. I haven't the least doubt that the Congressional delegation of Louisiana would assert that they serve their constituents in working for this or that item in the budget appropriation of the Corps. It would be more than a little naïve, however, not to recognize the difference in scale between the contributions of individual citizens of Baton Rouge and New Orleans and the contributions of the Corporations which own the refineries and the chemical plants.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:28 pm
I was talking about the billions of decisions made by citizens at the gas pump,the grocery store and other places where the efficiency of the corporations is measured ruthlessly by the bargain hunter.The basis of a free market.

The abstract talk that goes on here merely serves to provide a get out clause for the complicity of the citizen and for his/her absolution and line up a scapegoat.

Also,all discussion of events taking place before the efficient distribution of energy outlets came into being are a complete waste of time other than as entertainment.

The use of the "you" to refer to whether I know who Mr Rove is has already broken the courtesy I was asked to respect.And whether I know who he is is a matter of what is meant by "know".I have seen him speak on television,and am aware of his position and have seen him discussed on various threads.I wouldn't consider that "knowing who he is" but if others think they know who he is from similar acquaintance that is up to them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:19 pm
As you did not respect the courtesy, why should i? As for Mr. Rove, he is the antithesis of a liberal, which was the point by Miss eBeth which you thought to characterize as pedantic. Coming from you, the silly pedant par excellence, that's hilarious. If you don't wish to be addressed by me, than don't address me, and don't make snide, and ill-informed comments on my posts.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:44 pm
spendius, your articulation reveals more about you then it masks. Let's take a look at your statements starting with Karl Rove being "from the realistic wing" on the right and the "utopian" or unrealistic wing on the left. Do I misunderstand you ?

Whether you respond to me or not doesn't really matter. You have provided enough here to understand and demonstrate where conservatives are wrong and have gone wrong.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:58 pm
spendius wrote:
....The abstract talk that goes on here merely serves to provide a get out clause for the complicity of the citizen and for his/her absolution and line up a scapegoat.

I'm not sure you're aware of this, or you intended to be taken seriously, but do you realize that you're coming off to your fellow A2K'ers as rather a bit of a snot? Snide comments, like the quoted ones, do nothing but inflame others. Very unconstructive, sir.
0 Replies