New Orleans: The Worst is Not Over : (

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:14 pm
I suspect you're right, Noddy.

People who are running out of their favourite street drugs and booze are not going to be doing well at all. A very sharp cliff edge for many of them.

I know that I'm not good around people who are detoxing involuntarily. And they're not good around me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:19 pm
I'm doing Jones just thinking about it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:56 pm
EhBeth--

Love to take credit, but the insightful observation was Ossobuco's.

I think this is going to be a very violent night in the Big Easy and the dawn is going to be bloody red.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:08 pm
Noddy, I fear you're right.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:33 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
osso--

Good point.

Also, these are not flexible people and they are more inclined to anger than to cogitation.

Noddy - I was following this.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:01 pm
Re Noddy's statement that ehBeth and Setanta refer to---It seems readily apparent. The behavior we're discussing evidences Noddy's observation, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:01 pm
The generalizing of this entire group of people is unfortunate. To begin with, these people were too POOR to leave the city. Secondly, the sniper fire is certainly mind boggling, but that doesn't mean, to quote an earlier post, that "these people" are rejecting aid. It's a couple of crazy fucks in a lawless city, people who didn't have **** even before Katrina.

By now we all know from watching the news the poverty rate in NOLA. Suddenly, a group we are used to ignoring has tons of media coverage. And clearly this country still doesn't know what to do with the poor. Drinking water would be a good start.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:06 pm
I think some of these "you people" and "those people" word groupings are taken to mean something ominous too often.

Why should someone be forced to say "these people shooting at cops"? "those people looting TVs"? I wish people would stop creating classism and racism where their isn't any.

Not a crusade. Just a mini-vent.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:16 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58660&highlight=
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:41 pm
An apt answer, dys.

It's those fargin' liberal bastiches, creatin' fargin' isms in every port.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:01 pm
Shooting is not confirmed, is it?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:02 pm
It is confirmed by multiple sources.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:03 pm
Here's one.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:27 pm
From the linked page..
Quote:
"..reports that someone fired at a military helicopter sent to ferry out survivors. "

I do not think this is a place to dispute this. But..
"someone" fired and no damage to a military helicopter? Naturally, I wonder who could confirm that it was actually a shooting.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:30 pm
Reuters
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:36 pm
Shooting, carjacking,...

Two officers were shot; one by looters, one as he was in a heliocopter, going in for a rescue.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:41 pm
Finally. More on the snipers.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:46 pm
Quote:
in a heliocopter, going in for a rescue

Sorry, I couldn't locate a phrase indicating it in the linked page.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:47 pm
Lash wrote:
I think some of these "you people" and "those people" word groupings are taken to mean something ominous too often.

Why should someone be forced to say "these people shooting at cops"? "those people looting TVs"? I wish people would stop creating classism and racism where their isn't any.

Hmmm. Did you not then go on to make a distinction between the people in New Orleans and people "ACCEPTING" aid in other cities? You made the bizarre implication that the people in NOLA didn't want aid, because of the gunshots. Am I wrong? That's the generalization I'm referring to.

Race? You said it, not me. Now settle down.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:56 pm
Lash wrote:

I'm quite nicely settled, thank you.

And, yes, I think somewhere I DID say shooting at people isn't an indicator of one who wants help. I think it is bizarre to think shooting at people is some secret sign for them to continue coming toward you. Have you been drinking poopoo water, too?

There is no generalization except : People who shoot at you won't get your help.
0 Replies