Sheehan shirking taxes why again?

Baldimo

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:20 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Chrissee, don't worry abut Baldino. By endorsing McCarthyism he has disqualified himself from serious consideration.

I provided a link and proved a point that he was right, there were USSR spies in the US. At least I can make a claim and back it up unlike Chrissee.

Chrissee wrote:
I don't have to prove anything especially to those so low on the evolutionary scale that they would attempt to smear a slain soldier's grieving mother.

Those who try to belittle her reveal far more about themselves than they do of her.

That's common from you. You make a claim and then refuse to prove it.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:33 am
Baldimo wrote:

I have a secret for you. The mothers have no say in the matter unless their sons who are joining are under the age of 18. If they are over the age of 18 then they are adults and make their own way in the life. They chose to join the military and serve. It wasn't their mothers who have done this but the sons joining.

Are you seriously trying to say that the parents of a slain soldier are not affected by the decision to send their son to war? It's the son decision to join, of course. It's the president's decision to send him to war. the entire country is owed explanations why our fighting men and women are put on the line. Certainly the parents of the soldiers are especially owed that explanation.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with Rosa Parks.
This has everything to do with Rosa Parks. Your criticism of Cindy Sheehan is that she had a different agenda than the one she has publicly stated-trying to meet the president in order to get the reasons her son had to be sacrificed. You're right-she does. She wants to highlight the fact that the reasons the president gave for this war are being proven wrong everyday, his assessments of the enemy are being proven wrong everyday, and that if he insists on sending people to the front lines he owes everyone an explanation why. And as the mother of a slain son, certainly she would be high on the list of people who are owed explanations. That's her real agenda. Rosa Parks had a different agenda than just trying to sit in the front of the bus on the way to her destination. She had no destination. She was there to confront authority, just as Cindy Sheehan is there to confront authority.

There was nothing wrong about it when Rosa Parks did it, there is nothing wrong about it when Cindy Sheehan does it. With both women, the justice of what they did is not affected by the fact that their stated pretext was different from their real goal. Yet, the Right insists that the fact that Cindy has a different goal from her stated one somehow besmirches her actions. It didn't besmirch Rosa Parks' stand, and it does not besmirch Cindy Sheehan's stand.

Baldimo wrote:
Those affected most by the decision are the ones serving not those who aren't. While mothers are important it is the soldiers who are most effected by such decisions.
All Americans are owed explanations why the president insists on sending people to war despite the fact that his assessments of the situation have been proven false again and again. Surely the parents of the soldiers require explanations more than most.

Quote:
No one had her son killed expect [sic] the guy who pulled the trigger and killed her son. Bush didn't do it and neither did his supporters.
Her son is not in Iraq facing enemy fire unless makes the decision to send him there. To send soldiers to invade a country, and then try to avoid responsiblity when people in the invaded country shoot back and kill our soldiers is arrogance of an amazing degree.

Baldimo wrote:
Segregation is far different then an anti-war protest and they have nothing to do with each other.
Chrissee nailed this one. Tell that one to Martin Luther King.

The government has the right to insist all it's citizens are treated equally under the law. It also has the right to explain to the citizenry the honest reasons that soldiers have to be put on the front lines. So far, virtually nothing the government told us about this war has come to pass-not the WMD's, not the bit about being cheered as liberators, not the support the enemy has among the Iraqis. The government does not have the right to lie to the citizens about the war-and so far, that is motly what they have done.

Baldimo wrote:
Would you argue that people protesting abortion clinics have the right to do so? Do you support their right to protest?

Of course I support their right to protest. However, I do not support anti-choicers' supposed right to interfere physically with people wanting to get into the clinic, their proclivity to shoot people who perform abortions, their websites where doctors are listed with the assassinated ones crossed out, and thir calling up workers at clinics and making threats every day. Every day. Cindy Sheehan does none of those things.

You are absolutely straining credulity here.

Baldimo wrote:
Once again the 2 [Parks and Sheehan] are not linked.

They are both brave women who are determined to challenge authority and the status quo-and have done so peacefully, without the threat of violence. As opposed to the anti-choice movement.

Baldimo wrote:
There is a difference between then and now and there is no social injustice going on."

The president owes the country the truth before he commits troops to war. The truth was not told about WMD's it was not told about the strength of the enemy, it was not told about the support the US would enjoy from the Iraqi people. Cindy Sheehan was deeply wounded by these untruths, and has every right to take her case to the author of this policy. If he wants to ignore her or her cause, he may do so at the peril of the support of the people.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:48 am
Baldimo wrote:
On June 22, 2004, the California judge in the case agreed to release the [Barack Obama opponent] files. The decision generated much controversy because it went against both parents' direct request and because it generally reversed the early decision to seal the papers in the best interest of the child.

Check Demise of the campaign

Your link is useless for explaining WHY the judge found it necessary to release the files. That is what I asked you to do-explain the decision. Some judge decided it was necessary, and I would like to know why. I will take no position on this until I have an idea why a judge felt it was necessary to unseal these records.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:19 am
Baldimo wrote:
A private life is a private life. Whips and chains bad BJ's in the oval office good?

In point of fact, I would say that most middle aged men, when confronted with an admiring 24 year old woman flipping her skirt up in their face, would go ahead and do something. There are few people I could say would absolutely refuse. And many if not most presidents have had discreet affairs on the side.

On the other hand, it is hard for me to imagine anyone I know going to bondage clubs and trying to get their wife to get into a cage and perform public sex acts in front of strangers. That is way, way past normal. And I would hardly call such behavior "discreet".
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 06:05 am
Baldimo wrote:
There is a difference between then and now and there is no social injustice going on."

Well, there's no Government enforced social injustice. But I wonder what the cause of this could be...?

Quote:
Objective. To determine geographic variation in urban American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) rates of infant mortality, low birth weight, prenatal care use, and maternal-child health care service availability.

Methods. This was a retrospective cohort study using data from the 1989 to 1991 birth-death linked database from the National Center for Health Statistics. We examined births from metropolitan areas with a minimum of 300 AI/AN births during the study period. Key outcomes of interest included rates of low birth weight, neonatal mortality, postneonatal mortality, and women receiving inadequate prenatal care using the modified Kessner index. To determine the type of health services tailored to AI/AN mothers residing in these urban areas, we conducted a telephone survey of the 36 urban Indian health programs operating in 1997 using a semistructured survey. Items in the survey included questions about the availability of prenatal and infant health care.

Results. During the 1989 to 1991 study period, there were 72 730 singleton births to AI/AN mothers and/or fathers residing in urban areas, representing 49% of all AI/AN births in the United States. Overall 14.4% of urban AI/AN births were to women who received inadequate care during pregnancy, 5.7% of pregnancies resulted in low birth weight infants, and 11.0 infants died per 1000 live births. Death rates for the neonatal period (5.5 per 1000 births) and postneonatal period (5.4 per 1000 births) were similar. Marked disparity in these indicators exist between pregnancies to AI/AN and white women. Among the 54 metropolitan areas, 46 had a rate ratio (AI/AN: white) for inadequate care of 1.5 (range: 0.9-8.5). The mean rate ratios for neonatal and postneonatal mortality were 1.6 (range: 0.3-4.0) and 2.0 (range: 0.5-5.5). There was also considerable geographic variation of AI/AN mortality rates between metropolitan areas in all of the outcomes studied. All of the 20 metropolitan areas with the highest birth counts had some type of direct medical care or outreach services available from an urban clinic targeted toward AI/AN patients.

Conclusions. Considerable variation also exists among rates of AI/ANs between metropolitan areas. Disparity exists in rates of perinatal outcomes between AI/ANs and whites living in the same metropolitan areas Although AI/AN urban health programs exist in most cities with large birth counts, it seems that many have inadequate resources to meet existing needs to improve perinatal outcomes and infant health.

Source:
David C. Grossman, MD, MPH*, Laura-Mae Baldwin, MD, MPH, Susan Casey, PhD, Brigitte Nixon, MD||, Walter Hollow, MD¶ and L. Gary Hart, PhD. Disparities in Infant Health Among American Indians and Alaska Natives in US Metropolitan Areas PEDIATRICS (2002) Vol. 109(4), p.627-633.

URL: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/109/4/627

The thing is, I've been noticing lately how the political parties over there in the US brandish anything that does not agree with them as irrelevant or partisan-bullshyte, instead of thinking perhaps it could be true.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 06:27 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
A private life is a private life. Whips and chains bad BJ's in the oval office good?

In point of fact, I would say that most middle aged men, when confronted with an admiring 24 year old woman flipping her skirt up in their face, would go ahead and do something. There are few people I could say would absolutely refuse. And many if not most presidents have had discreet affairs on the side.

On the other hand, it is hard for me to imagine anyone I know going to bondage clubs and trying to get their wife to get into a cage and perform public sex acts in front of strangers. That is way, way past normal. And I would hardly call such behavior "discreet".

Nevertheless, you appear to be employing a double standard and struggling to find a distinction to support your theory that looking into the divorce records of one party that has placed themselves in the public light is not acceptable, but that its perfectly acceptable to look at the divorce records of other such persons. And if I understand the distinction you have landed upon, it depends on facts that are determined after an examination of said divorce records.

But when the divorce involves a party you are sympathetic to, your knee-jerk reaction to efforts to examine the basis of the divorce is to recoil in horror at the thought of examining such things, because "her marriage is her private life," and what goes on in that marriage should not be known by others. Your exact words:

kw wrote:
Still another example of Republicans who cannot refrain from turning every issue, every public discourse, into a gossip fest of the private life of all who oppose them.

But after being confronted with what happened to Jack Ryan, you amended your initial claim that it is unacceptable to examine the divorce records of a person (whose marriage is their "private life"), and say it is acceptable under certain circumstances. In this case it's when the basis for the divorce is the person's husband has requested her to perform S&M sex acts in public. I'm sure this list of yours of the acceptable reasons to delve into these "private lives" would expand, depending on the conservative getting skewered at the time.

What if the events that lead to the divorce did not take place in a public arena? What if in the Ryan case the sex took place in private in the home, and the husband was trying as hard as he could to be "discreet." Still acceptable? I don't think its that easy to enunciate a bright line test to determine whether this is discoverable information.

In any event, the distinction you've parsed is only determined following an examination of the divorce records, which seems to be the very thing you suggested was unacceptable. Your "distinction" seems very tenuous.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 06:43 am
Anyone who can't see the distinction between delving into the personal affairs of a public official (which in itself used to be considered off limits) and that of a grieving mother honoring her slain son is either stupid or intellectually dishonest.

Those who stoop to the level of trying to discredit Cindy because of her divorce or tax records are lower than pondscum.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 06:46 am
Baldimo, what are you doing posting here? Why aren't you in Iraq defending freedom?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 06:54 am
When did the sex lives of politicians become an issue? Just a question. I would think that it was about the same time that Rove started to get some influence at a national level. I would have thought that as long as they don't allow their sex lives to directly influence public policy that it's pretty much irrelevant.

And the issue of Sheehan's taxes? So what? The relevance is what?

I don't know how it happened but good policy discussion has been hijacked by reference to a bunch of irrelevant crap. Just wondering if there is a correlation between that and Rove's ascendancy or if I can blame Gingrich for it.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 06:56 am
Baldimo wrote:
JLNobody wrote:
Chrissee, don't worry abut Baldino. By endorsing McCarthyism he has disqualified himself from serious consideration.

I provided a link and proved a point that he was right, there were USSR spies in the US. At least I can make a claim and back it up unlike Chrissee.

Chrissee wrote:
I don't have to prove anything especially to those so low on the evolutionary scale that they would attempt to smear a slain soldier's grieving mother.

Those who try to belittle her reveal far more about themselves than they do of her.

That's common from you. You make a claim and then refuse to prove it.

Oh really? Want to provide links to back up your claim?

You shouldn't be discussing this woman's divorce anyway, so the 90% statistic I heard is irrelevant, so it is only a convenient Red Herring for you anyway. I already said I couldn't find verification and the statistic true or not is not essential to my point.

You cannot defend the esential fact that those who try to smear a grieving mother merely questioning why her son's life was thrown away are lower than pondscum. Of course, I wouldn't expect anyone who defends Joe McCarthy to have any sense of decency.

Again, Baldimo, why aren''t you in Iraq?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:01 am
Chrissee wrote:
Anyone who can't see the distinction between delving into the personal affairs of a public official (which in itself used to be considered off limits) and that of a grieving mother honoring her slain son is either stupid or intellectually dishonest.

Those who stoop to the level of trying to discredit Cindy because of her divorce or tax records are lower than pondscum.

And anyone who cannot see that Ms. Sheehan has either intentionally or inadvertantly made herself a public figure, bringing her personal affairs into play (agreed though, that they should still be off-limits) is also either stupid or intellectually dishonest.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:06 am
goodfielder wrote:
When did the sex lives of politicians become an issue? Just a question.

That is is a separate issue. (I think it really started when Gary Hart challenged that Miami Herald reporter to follow him around.)There used to be a modicum of civilty in politics. Now, since Lee Atwater and Rove anything is fair game.

What really illustrates how low these lower than the lowest scum of the earth have become in their panic to discredit Cindy is this. Even the divorces of public officials running for high office are considered off limits unless there are unusual circumstances like infidelity.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:07 am
Chrissee wrote:
I already said I couldn't find verification and the statistic true or not is essential to my point.

I think this is what Baldimo is pointing out Chrissee. You are using a stat that, in your words, whether true or not, supports your point. But if the stat is not true, then how does it support your point?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:10 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Chrissee wrote:

And anyone who cannot see that Ms. Sheehan has either intentionally or inadvertantly made herself a public figure, bringing her personal affairs into play (agreed though, that they should still be off-limits) is also either stupid or intellectually dishonest.

She is a public figure now. So what?

Again, the real stupity or dishonesty comes in when people scrutinize her as they would a politician running for office. So the key word is not "public" the key distinction is official.

Nice REd Herring though.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:12 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
I already said I couldn't find verification and the statistic true or not is essential to my point.

I think this is what Baldimo is pointing out Chrissee. You are using a stat that, in your words, whether true or not, supports your point. But if the stat is not true, then how does it support your point?

I think if you re-read the post, you could clearly ascertain that what I meant to say was that IT IS NOT ESSENTIAL TO MY POINT.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:13 am
No one can critcize how a mother grieves for her son.

However, we CAN criticize her for using the media to politicize her "campaign" when she starts doing the talk show circuit. If she was sincere in her "pain", I doubt her public display would be as "PUBLIC" as she made it to be.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:13 am
Chrissee wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
Chrissee wrote:

I just said it doesn't. You seem to have a real problem comprehending simple concepts.

Re-read what you wrote Chrissee. Then tell me who has a problem comprehending. You may have meant to say it differently, but you effectively said it mattered not whether the stat was true or false, the stat was essential to your point.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:18 am
Chrissee wrote:
Again, Baldimo, why aren''t you in Iraq?

What's with all the personal questions? You like prying into the affairs of those you argue with here, don't you ... wondering what type of law I practice ... now quizzing Baldimo on his personal life.

Are you sweet on us?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:19 am
Chrissee wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
Chrissee wrote:

I think if you re-read the post, you could clearly ascertain that what I meant to say was that IT IS NOT ESSENTIAL TO MY POINT.

And, of course, you did, that is why you jumped on my last post before the ink even dried and I edited it. Funny and I was just talking avout intellectual dishonesty.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:19 am
And Chrissee, don't get me wrong. I am not really disagreeing with your position that her personal life should be off limits. It should. Why she is divorcing is nobody's business and does not lessen what she is trying to say through her protest.
0 Replies