Terrorism by anti war protesters

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 04:25 pm
satt_focusable wrote:
Recent experience (1960~) show some of anti-war protesters (fundamendalistic anti-war / desperate anti-war) easily turn into terrorists.

Question Question Question
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 04:42 pm
It has been the experience in Europe, you know.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 04:44 pm
You mean our (German) Foreign minister or me? :wink:
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 04:44 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
satt_focusable wrote:
Recent experience (1960~) show some of anti-war protesters (fundamendalistic anti-war / desperate anti-war) easily turn into terrorists.

Question Question Question

In Europe they turn into politicians. Fischer is the most famous example. But there are examples in almost all (European) countries.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 04:56 pm
I do not say all the anti-war protesters are wrong. Fundumentalists are the problem.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 04:58 pm
Walter..
I do not mean myself at least.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:19 pm
Oh for pete's sake! Reading through all this, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Au, you sound more disgruntled than anything else. For very many years I commuted into NYC to work. To the best of my recollection there were quite often protests of one sort or another, including those lying down and those chaining themselves to something. Sometimes I participated. And I have found that protesting against protestors can be a very selective thing. The anti-abortion people, for instance, have at times been a very disturbing presence, sometimes terrorist by your definition. yet, they are protected by statute.

The fact that Bush doesn't pay attention is probably even more reason to do this, since he seems to be the only head of state (he's certainly not a leader) who doesn't listen to the voice of some of the people. This fact probably contributes a lot to the desire for the protests.

Further, au, doesn't the fact of public protesting give you an inkling of how people feel about their country? Many of us feel it's been hijacked and led to a very dangerous brink in our history, and a little civil disobedience is a small but necessary thing to do.

So far as New York City - well, yes, traffic gets disrupted (it also does when a few drops of rain fall). The city is famous for being partially closed in one way or another all the time - water main breaks close off streets, constant repair closes up streets, ad shots and movie making close off streets - New Yorkers have learned to live with this and laugh about it.

Terrorism has not taken over, and senior citizens should learn how to ease up a bit and remember when causes were important. And, before you comment, I belong to that club, and I say protest on - we've work to do.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:26 pm
Mamajuana, thanks for the voice of sanity!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:54 pm
mamajuana
Disgruntled no disgusted. I drove to work for over 40 years and know how difficult it is and all the problems one runs into. Extra difficulty is not appreciated. In addition I do not know how much difficulty your town is having in supporting it services but living in NJ I am sure you know what is going on in ours. This is off subject but as an NJ resident working in NY wasn't it pleasant having all the services of police, firemen, sanitation and the like free of charge.
I had been caught in demonstrations on the way home more than once in my life time causing hours of delay and frustration after a hard day at work. I will not even begin to tell you what went through my head.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:06 pm
Ohmygosh, Au, the price one pays for democracy is just too much, isn't it! I once lived in totalitarian regime where everything was really quiet, organized, and as long as you didn't disagree with the government about anything, life was extremely pleasant. No hassles, no traffic jams, no one saying what they believed, no one thinking beyond doing their job and shutting up. It was great. I recommend it to you.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:10 pm
Rudy Giuliani was on his way toward creating that kind of paradise for NYC until his second term ran out. I'll bet there are those in NYC who miss him now...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:13 pm
He would have just arrested all of them or brought out the steam roller. Then we would find out who really wanted to protest!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:18 pm
Tartarin
In a democracy we all are entitled to our opinion. If you don't like mine all I can say that is your problem.
I had once asked you which side of the border you lived on now I understand.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:26 pm
D'artagnan

Quote:
Rudy Giuliani was on his way toward creating that kind of paradise for NYC until his second term ran out. I'll bet there are those in NYC who miss him now...

You have been reading his press clippings. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Paradise never. But he was a welcome improvement over our previous mayor.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:45 pm
I saw nothing in Tartarin's post that suggested Au didn't have an entitlement to an opinion, or that invited disparaging remarks about "which side of the border" he comes from.

And about Giuliani being "welcome", well- that definitely depends on who you talk to.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:55 pm
snood
My question about which side of the border had nothing to do with this post. It had be asked previously after several other exchanges.. There was nothing disparaging about it.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:17 pm
au
I'm sorry, but I agree with the others. "terrorist" is a huge word!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:56 pm
Just a note, au, to set the record straight. First I lived in New York City, then I moved to New Jersey (which I still don't like). And all the time I worked in New York City. As far as having the NY services free, I think you forget that residents of other states pay taxes in their states to maintain those very same services, so I think that evens out. One of my daughters has lived in and worked in NY for years, so I'm quite aware of things that go on there.

Perhaps you may get more disgusted than you should. Every location has its own pleasant and bad times, and either you learn to live with them or you don't. If you do, then life is more enjoyable. If you don't, then life becomes a pain.

It is as Tartarin said. As long as you do not disagree or engage in public protest, life can be agreeable. But listen - wasn't one of the stated aims of this mad White House cartel to bring democratic action to poor, beleaguered Iraq, where no protests are allowed?

Are you saying we should not encourage democratic actions by our citizens, to demonstrate that we live in a free world? There is more to this than demonstrators trying to annoy you.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:09 pm
"There is more to this than demonstrators trying to annoy you."

Yup!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 11:45 pm
http://home.attbi.com/~fishnderby/wakeup.gif
0 Replies