Terrorism by anti war protesters

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 08:51 am
As I write this the anti war protesters are engaged in civil disruption here in the city of NY. They are interfering with the daily activities of the people of the city and it's commerce. Causing undue stress upon law enforcement the cities treasury and the already battered citizens of NY and it's economy. Bin Laden's terrorists visited NY City on 9/11and these so called peace activist terrorists are visiting us today. What could they possibly hope to accomplish? The constitution protects free assembly and dissent but not civil disruption and disobedience. How would you deal with these people?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,422 • Replies: 153
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:09 am
Au,

Don't you think the word "terrorism" is a bit extreme for people who are blocking traffic?

Please take a deep breath and calm down.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:16 am
Terrorism is becomming a hollow concept. The Feyadin fighters in Iraq are now, by the media, called Terrorists?

Whats next? A burglar is a terrorist?

BTW, those civilians fighting for their country or leader or both. Whats the difference with the fighters in Bosnia and Kosovo? Do you think they had rules of engangement attacking the Serbian agressor? And when we go to WWII. Do you think the resistance or the partisans only killed Germans in batlle? They killed them whenever they could. In their sleep, in their bath, everywhere and anyhow. Traitors & colaborators(and even their wives & children) were killed on the streets or attacked during the night.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:23 am
ebrown_p
Ask that question of the people who are trying to get to work and earn a living. Ask that question to people who are preyed upon by criminals because the law enforcement agencies are tied up controlling these anarchists. As that question when the money spent in police overtime is taken from the needs of social services, education and etc.
Are they terrorists? Yes, no doubt. They strike at the heart of an already beleaguered city and it's people.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:26 am
Tell me au1929

Enlight me. What is a terrorist?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:29 am
Frolic
Saddam's spokesman has arrived upon the scene to muddy the water.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:32 am
Au, I would like to respond to your distinction between legal protest and "illegal" civil disobedience. You are right to say there is a difference.

However civil disobedience has always played an important role in the history of America. Some of the most patriotic citizens have broken laws to oppose government policies they felt were unjust.

Here are a few examples (there are many more.)

...The nation started with the "Boston Tea Party".

...During our period of slavery, thousands of people broke laws to help slaves escape to freedom.

...During our war with Mexico, hundreds refused to pay the "war tax".

...Rosa Parks refused to sit on the back of the bus.

...During the Vietnam conflict, many burned draft cards.

...even Martin Luther King Jr. spent time in prison.

All of these examples caused ecnomic inconvenience. Standing up for the principles you believe in always does.

Civil disobedience is worthy when you are willing to pay the consequences for your actions. The people who are blocking traffic will undoubtably spend time in jail -- hopefully willingly.

I am sorry if you are late for work. Understand that people breaking laws to stand up for their principles is a great part of our democracy. This has been true thoughout our history, and it is true now.

As far as how to deal with these people. Well two things...

First when they break the law, they should face the penalties. Paying the price for their actions will make their convictions and the justice of their cause more clear.

But many of us will respect what they are doing, and the fact that even you are discussing it here means that they are accomplishing plenty...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:32 am
It is going to depend on just how the demonstrators are preventing people from getting to work, or anyplace else, for that matter. Is anybody making book on the proposition that they are politely handing out leaflets.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:36 am
The typical counterattack by the Warmongers=> Saddamlover!

I do not condone the abuse of "human rights".
I am not anti-American. I am not pro-Saddam.
I just simply DO NOT believe that War is the Answer.

And this war is fought at many fronts. On the Battlefield but also in the media. I'm against the war on all fronts and want to break the bubble that this is a clean war of the Good guys against the bad guys. They both kill and destroy lives, innocent and not so innocent lives.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:46 am
ebrown_p
Let me first suggest that they disrupt the lives of the people of Boston and leave NY alone we have enough problems. Secondly what could they hope to accomplish? Bush won't listen to them and disrupting the lives of NY'ers certainly won't bother him.

Roger
They are lying down in the middle of 5 Th. Ave. Disrupting traffic and all that goes with it.
Man from Jareeza
There are all kinds of terrorism. That which disrupts commerce is called economic terrorism
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:53 am
Give me a definition that covers all kinds of terrorism.

ETA, IRA, Corsque liberation army, RAF, CCC, Brigada Rossa, November 17th => All terrorist organisations.

But what with the ÜCK in Kosovo or the different liberation groups of the Kurds in Turkey and Iraq? Terrorism? The Chechens? Terrorists? Timothy McVeigh? A Terrorist?

And other social groups that cause economic damage? f.i. Hooligans?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:01 am
Frolic
Being against the war and being anti American are not the same thing. I have read many of your posts and it is apparent that you do not know the difference. No matter the subject you will invariably interject something negative about the US. Everything you write has an anti American bias and I might add drips with anti American venom.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:05 am
If there aren't enough police to handle law enforcement and counter-terrorism, then NYC needs more police. au, you suggest that people shouldn't exercise their rights because there aren't enough police to go around. That's not how it works in this country.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:11 am
frolic
This post was not about the definition of terrorism. It is about the city of NY and and the protest now in progress. Which IMO is terrorism. If you want to define terrorism post the topic and do so at your leisure.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:12 am
I'm not going to argue on your allegations as me being anti-American.

On-topic. What about the right to dissent? How far would you limit that right?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:17 am
D'artagnan
What gives people the right to civil disobedience and disruption.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:22 am
Au, you call those protesters "terrorists" and you cant give me a definition of that concept?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:26 am
frolic
The people have every right to dissent it is our civil right. However the rest of us have civil rights as well and they too must be respected. Laying down in the middle of traffic and disrupting the innocent of the city just doesn't cut it with me. What makes it worse is that these people know,is unless they are brain dead, at this junture it's an exercise in futility.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:34 am
au1929 wrote:
D'artagnan
What gives people the right to civil disobedience and disruption.

God, justice and the American way.

These people who have inconvenienced you so are taking the consequences of their actions. They were arrested and will be tried. What more do you want? Should we bomb their houses?

Don't forget that many of the people who really suffered from terrorism are against the war. The people who are protesting are New Yorkers and they are Americans. Some of the people who you are calling "terrorists" may be the victims of 9/11.

Comparing your inconvenience with the suffering of 9/11 is a bit distasteful. People lost their lives because of terrorism. Do you really want to compare this with being late for work?

Geesh!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:35 am
Although the following seems to be very burocratic
Quote:

The German Basic Law in Article 8 provides for a right to assemble peaceably and without weapons without prior notification or permission. For open-air meetings this right may be restricted by or pursuant to a law. Section 14.1. of the Assembly Law (Versammlungsgesetz, hereafter AL) rules that anyone who plans to organize an open-air assembly must register with the responsible authority at least 48 hours prior to the announcement of the event and declare the nature of the event. Section 14.2 of the AL requires that the registration must include the name of who is supposed to be responsible for the leadership of the event. Section 15.1. of the AL allows the responsible authorities to prohibit the event or render permission of the event conditional on compliance with certain requirements when, in the light of the circumstances at the time of the decision, the event immediately endangers public safety or order. Section 15.2. of the AL allows the responsible authorities to break up an event if no registration was filed, or if the nature of the event turns out to be different than declared, or if requirements are not being complied with, or if the prerequisites for a prohibition from Section 15.1. are met. Section 15.3. of the AL declares that a prohibited event must be broken up. Sections 26 and 29 of the AL provide for penal measurements for persons who organize or are responsible for prohibited and non-registered events and for people who participate in prohibited events.

I'm glad to live in a country, where terrorism is clearly definated by criminal law and the freedom of demonstration is a well respected human right.
0 Replies