Reasons to not want Hillary in '24

izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 05:53 am
@izzythepush,
Think of it like this. It may be possible, as Trump has shown, to be elected president with no political experience but one cannot become Speaker of the House without any.

If America had the same system as the UK the speaker would be in charge of the executive, and the Head of State would be a ceremonial figurehead.
Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 07:05 am
Edgar, was the voting rights bill killed last night?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 07:52 am
@Lash,
I don't know if they will try anything else, but it failed last thing I saw.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 09:51 am
President Joe Biden Didn’t Expect Republicans To Obstruct His Agenda
“What are they for? Name me one thing they’re for,” Biden said on Wednesday.

I think he lives in a bubble that prevents ordinary news from reaching his ears. The Republicans announced their objectives before he even took office.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 10:37 am
Asked @LeaderMcConnell about concerns voters of color have about voting rights. “The concern is misplaced,” said McConnell, “because if you look at the statistics, African-American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans."
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 10:54 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Asked @LeaderMcConnell about concerns voters of color have about voting rights. “The concern is misplaced,” said McConnell, “because if you look at the statistics, African-American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans."

McConnell is an ass.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 11:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
According to McConnel's own words, Black Americans are not Americans.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 11:30 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

According to McConnel's own words, Black Americans are not Americans.

Yup. The reason I called him an ass...is because he apparently did not realize that when he said what he did. (Maybe he did!)

In any case, McConnell has taken hypocrisy to new, deeper levels. The underhandedness and hypocrisy he used with regard to SCOTUS appointments will impact on this country for decades to come. I still have hopes that the justices will exceed expectations...and operate above political considerations.

We'll see!

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 11:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
At least SCOTUS turned down Trump's request to block his White House information.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 12:50 pm
@izzythepush,
Unfortunately, although it's never happened or even been attempted: a none politician actually can become SoH.

It's been suggested it might be a way for 45 to get back into power.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 12:53 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
If he does, he will have had political experience.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 01:03 pm
@izzythepush,
The point is: you don't have to be elected to Congress to be Speaker of the House, or even elected to an office.

[Search domain politics.stackexchange.com] https://politics.stackexchange.com › questions › 69330 › non-elected-house-speaker
As you point out, the speaker of the house need not be an elected member of the house. However, uptil now, all speakers have been. This answers your first question. Hence we can say it is customary and it is most likely because of the power wielded by the speaker that this is the case and which answers your secind question.

Why does US law allow for a speaker that is not elected?
[Search domain politics.stackexchange.com] https://politics.stackexchange.com › questions › 69343 › why-does-us-law-allow-for-a-speaker-that-is-not-elected
The original Constitution in fact gave zero power to the Speaker. The 25th Amendment does give some power to the Speaker, but it also gives power to the Secretaries who aren't elected either. The House rules do give power to the Speaker, but they can, at least in theory, be changed just as easily as the Speaker can be replaced.

Can An Outsider Be Speaker of the House? - NBC News
[Search domain nbcnews.com] https://www.nbcnews.com › politics › congress › can-outsider-be-speaker-house-n441926
Though it's inconceivable the framers would have elected an outsider to be speaker of the House, there's nothing to stop the House from doing it now. Pete Williams Pete Williams is an NBC News...

Trump As House Speaker: Can Republicans Name Non-House ...
[Search domain wusa9.com] https://www.wusa9.com › article › news › verify › former-president-trump-speaker-of-house-2022-republicans-democrats-biden-gaetz › 65-6ddfc1d6-2e77-4b55-9793-3b129bb61538
Yes, technically the House can decide to choose a speaker who is not a member of the House, although it has never been done. This would make it possible for a former president like Donald Trump to...
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 01:24 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I never knew that.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 01:35 pm
I can just imagine someone like Kevin McCarthy saying, "Oh, yeah...give the job to Trump. I don't mind."

And having all the others in the House saying, "Yeah, that's a great idea. I don't mind either."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 03:09 pm
We are at a point in our history only a madman could imagine.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 04:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Scary stuff, especially after the guy no one thought could be elected POTUS got elected.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 05:26 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I remember saying to myself when GW Bush got elected: Now they've set a standard to allow any piece of **** to get elected."
Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 06:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Comparatively, Dubyah should be ranked head and shoulders above recent Republicans Presidents who shall remain nameless. I recall too well his blank expression when Katrina hit and his indecision. Criminally incompetent vs evil incompetent, hmmm?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 06:29 pm
@Ragman,
If that was a comprehensive list of Bush's failures it might make sense. He destabilized the middle east, caused millions of needless deaths. I won't rehash the past enough to bring out a better list, but he may eat candy with Michelle but he still belongs in jail.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 08:52 am
@edgarblythe,
It was the most blatant example of a machine candidate, he was elected to cover Cheney and the NeoComs