Reasons to not want Hillary in '24

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 12:11 pm
@engineer,
Democrats have the dual mission of having to fight both wars at the same time. We have threads about fighting the right wingers galore.
engineer wrote:

I understand encouraging elected officials to push towards policies that will move us forward as a country, but at some point we all have to recognize that we are facing a much more serious threat to our country. There is a significant minority out there that is pushing white nationalism and believes that they can circumvent our election system to achieve their goals. They are actively trying to disenfranchise voters and push our country into an authoritarian government ruled by them. And they are winning. At some point, we will have to pivot to attacking the the real problem instead of each other.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 07:36 pm
U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders
·
Afghanistan is facing a humanitarian catastrophe. I urge the Biden administration to immediately release billions in frozen Afghan government funds to help avert this crisis, and prevent the death of millions of people.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 08:05 am
The committee investigating the Capitol riot seems afraid of future retaliation by Republicans. That's a ridiculous reason to hesitate because Republicans never cut any slack regardless of what's done for or against them in the future as in now and the past.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 08:21 am
@edgarblythe,
If they are it's a mistake.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 08:28 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The committee investigating the Capitol riot seems afraid of future retaliation by Republicans.

Why do you say that? It seems like they are moving full steam ahead to the extent they can.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 08:39 am
@engineer,
I read two or three articles saying that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 08:51 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

The committee investigating the Capitol riot seems afraid of future retaliation by Republicans.

Why do you say that? It seems like they are moving full steam ahead to the extent they can.

I think the committee is moving full steam ahead to the extent they can.\

I want to see this thing done right...NOT NECESSARILY QUICKLY...but RIGHT.

I understand the frustration of many who want things to go at a faster pace, but this is the way things of this nature go when being done by people intent on getting it right...slowly and carefully.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 08:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
I don't know enough about it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 09:16 am
My post was based on stories like this one

Jan 6 Committee Hesitant Over Subpoenas Fearing Retaliation If GOP Retakes House

https://truthout.org/articles/jan-6-committee-hesitant-over-subpoenas-fearing-retaliation-if-gop-retakes-house/
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 09:22 am
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/19/1073865837/a-push-to-ban-members-of-congress-from-trading-individual-stocks-gains-momentum?utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=politics&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR0dTUaBZzQ1TFrR5MVKUnNoBd6gxY0VXBq6UnruW8Hh6zqWTKDezd-adhk
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 09:36 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My post was based on stories like this one

Jan 6 Committee Hesitant Over Subpoenas Fearing Retaliation If GOP Retakes House

https://truthout.org/articles/jan-6-committee-hesitant-over-subpoenas-fearing-retaliation-if-gop-retakes-house/

That the committee supposedly "fear(s) it" seems to mean "the committee suspects the Republicans might retaliate."

There is no doubt whatever in my mind that the Republicans WILL.

They already are talking about immediately impeaching Joe Biden. During their last term as majority in the Senate...they managed to postpone a SCOTUS nomination for a year on the pretext of letting voters decide...then replaced a liberal justice with a conservative one with only a few weeks to go until an election.

The Republicans are ruthless; just about devoid of morals; and will totally destroy our Republic in order to have power.

Or...we are all fucked.

Either thought works.
Lash

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 09:51 am
Emily’s List, a pretty powerful Dem fundraiser—if not actually a PAC—has finally decided to stop supporting Sinema. Glad it happened. Just wonder why it took so long. And people wonder why Biden placates them, lets them stand with him during press conferences etc, rather than take them to task publicly and privately for blocking needed voting rights legislation.

Make people vote on it. See where they stand on basic democracy. This is abhorrent.

https://www.axios.com/sinema-filibuster-emilys-list-endorsement-c5340c2c-cb3f-49df-aafb-fa4b3a9f903b.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 10:11 am
I’m not sure we’ve openly discussed the enormous shift in partisan affiliation that’s happened since Biden’s election, but it’s a different world around here.
Before Biden was elected, there was a Democrat 9 point cushion above Republicans.

That changed. Now, Republicans are 5 points ahead of Democrats.

https://news.gallup.com/home.aspx

I think this is in part due to a grassroots movement around school systems, where parents think teachers and schools are ‘indoctrinating’ their children with ‘racist’ stories about (hard to even type this out with a straight face) the founding of America etc. Covid responses like masks and school closings pitted a lot of people against teachers and it is at a fever pitch.

Conservative politicians used ‘critical race theory’ in races to whip up righteous indignation among ignorant parents and beat Democrat candidates locally and for the governorship in Virginia.

I know if Democrats had kept people friendly policies that responded to the needs of the bulk of Americans, they could have competed for voters.

They didn’t and Jim Crow mentality is back.

You would not BELIEVE some of the insane education bills that are being pushed around in state houses in this country.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 11:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
Exactly what I was saying.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 11:59 am
@Lash,
I read that yesterday. It's part of my reason for bitching so much.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 12:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I read that yesterday. It's part of my reason for bitching so much.

If the polls are correct, Edgar, and more people are turning to the GOP than to the Dems...then we have gone insane as a country and deserve the fate we are begging to befall us.

Sad, sad time for the Republic.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 02:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I haven't given up trying. I know you haven't either. We don't always agree with tactics but we both want a functioning democracy.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 03:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wish you all the best. Our prime minister lurches from one disaster to another.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 08:37 pm
@izzythepush,
Sometimes it seems we are circling the drain, no doubt. I jave been feeling more positive the last wee or so. It looks like 45 and family are finally going to start facing the music.

I certainly hope things do not get to the level in GB that they have here in the US. When has GB ever put a leader into 10 Downing that had absolutely no political experience or no time at all in any sort of office?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 02:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Our set up doesn't allow it, in order to be prime minister you have to be an MP, and no MP becomes PM on their first day.