Reasons to not want Hillary in '24

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 09:00 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

It was the most blatant example of a machine candidate, he was elected to cover Cheney and the NeoComs

Not going to get into this in detail, but I feel an obligation to say something here. George W. was certainly not the most brainy person to hold the office...nor the most effective. But he was so much more than Trump that to make any comparisons with that disgusting, classless boor, is an insult to Dubya.

I spoke out against Dubya when he was in office...loud and often. But he has conducted his post-presidency with dignity.

He is more a gentleman and an intellectual than Trump could ever hope to be.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 09:15 am
Trump fits uniquely into his own category. He has taught others how to subvert the presidency and bend a nation to one man's will. With brains and a little better prepping he might have been successful at securing a second term. Fortunately he outsmarted himself in the end.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 09:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
Obama spoke warmly of the welcome he was given by Bush when he first went to the Whitehouse.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 09:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
W was a very good managing partner of the Rangers. He was a mess in his personal life until he met Laura. He stopped drinking, coking and running around.

I think he's a good enough person. If Michele likes him, I give him some points. He was over his head as President, a fact I think is apparent by his delegation management style. and Cheney was more a co-president than a vice president.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:03 am
I had a belly full of Bush as governor. I was still reacting to his making fun of Carla Tucker in the hours before her execution to be thrilled at his nomination to run for the presidency.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:35 am
@edgarblythe,
That was all for the politics.

There's been a lot of those who found the light after conviction. If anyone turned it all around she certainly did. She deserved commutation.

Some Texans truly enjoy a good execution. I just don't get it at all.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:49 am
I despised Dubya and had Trump not been elected he would have remained the worst president in living memory.

He was a terrible president, the fact that Trump was catastrophic does not change that.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:55 am
@izzythepush,
That's all I was saying in my own roundabout way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 12:00 am
All the war talk about Russia. I bet if Biden made an agreement to not put American/Nato bases any closer to Russia the furor would die down.
hightor

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 05:03 am
@edgarblythe,
Biden can't unilaterally change NATO policies.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 07:39 am
@hightor,
Officially.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 08:34 am
@hightor,
Oh yeah. I forgot. Democrat presidents are hands tied.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 09:44 am
@edgarblythe,
NATO is not an all American affair.

No American president, Democrat or Republican, should be able to make unilateral decisions for the rest of us.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 09:50 am
@izzythepush,
The tail wags the dog as long as the biggest part of defending Europe comes out of the pocket of American taxpayers and stationing American servicemen and service women.

It may not be right or what is official public policy, but it is the truth.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 09:56 am
@bobsal u1553115,
The American service men and women stationed over here can all go back home. That should save a few Bob.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 10:03 am
@izzythepush,
I know that a US president has lots of sway with Nato, including hefty purse strings. Never meant to imply he was the boss.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 10:12 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I know what you mean, but the money allocated to NATO is simply proportional to the size of each country's individual economy and the USA can be outvoted, if not completely ignored. The idea that the US President can simply dictate policy to its allies is no longer acceptable. It's really more important to preserve the alliance. Some people can't seem to grasp that our presidents are not all-powerful – domestically or internationally.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 10:44 am
One could only hope.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-12-30/ukraine-russia-withdraw-troops-avoid-war
There’s a third solution, albeit one that would require big concessions by Ukraine and Russia.

The 1995 Study on NATO Enlargement, which specified the terms for admitting new members, states that they should first resolve “ethnic disputes or external territorial disputes” involving them. This provision, while not phrased as a precondition, could nevertheless be invoked to defer Ukraine’s entry into the alliance indefinitely — but without shutting the door forever.

In exchange, Russia would acknowledge Ukraine’s inherent right of self-defense, per the United Nations Charter, including the freedom to acquire arms and receive military training from countries of its choosing. Ukraine would reciprocate by pledging not to permit Western military bases in its territory — Russia has denounced the U.S.-financed expansion of the Ukrainian Black Sea ports of Ochakiv and Mykolaiv to accommodate American warships — and to extend that ban to NATO members’ military aircraft and cruise or ballistic missiles. In return, Russia would agree to a demilitarized zone along its side of the Ukrainian border.

This formula doesn’t amount to a comprehensive settlement of the Russia-Ukraine dispute, but it could give each side something to tout as success while tamping down the immediate crisis.

Rajan Menon is a professor of international relations at City College of New York, director of the grand strategy program at Defense Priorities, and a senior research scholar at the Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies at Columbia University.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 07:24 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't disagree.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 07:27 pm
@hightor,
We outspend the next seven nations put together, after having decades of outspending ten.
0 Replies